XXXI
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

IN HIS time since leaving Outset, Link had been lauded, held up as someone noteworthy. Someone that stood out from others. 

Never had he felt this more than he did now.

Entering into the large Rito city, the hundreds there knelt before him on one knee, their eyes not bowed, but firmly on him. It felt slightly unsettling in one part of him - not just as his natural response to being stared at, but also the praise they directed at his character.

Another part of his mind however felt something different. Joy. Pure joy. He felt the gratitude and hope in these people. He had seen their suffering, and had been able to deter it, at least for now. It felt strengthening, empowering. It was not a feeling of pride, but of confidence. It was a feeling that he could make a difference.

Komali and his father walked slowly up to Link. He realized that them and Tetra were the only ones not kneeling. Link hoped that she wasn't offending the Rito.

"Link of Outset," the king said in a calm voice, but one that carried through the natural hall, "wind waker, champion of Farore... our people kneel before you as a sign of respect. Though we fly above the Hylians and the Gorons, we lower ourselves to the earth in reverence. We keep our eyes fixed on you, and the divine forces you represent."

The king more firmly looked in Link's eyes, and then he and his son went down on a knee as well. Link saw the Rito man's eyes grow wet with tears.

"You have saved our home," he said, "and possibly countless lives. We will be in your debt for as long as you live."

Link suddenly felt emboldened. He felt a vigor in him. A stirring. A call to action.

"Stand," Link said.

All the Rito stood in a smooth, motion.

"I have judged myself as someone of little worth," he said. "I considered myself a boy of little importance to the goddesses. But they have made me into something more. They have taken what I am capable of, and they have been able to use my meager efforts to accomplish their needs."

Link took out the wind waker, holding it for them all to see.

"In the days ahead, all that I ask of you, to repay for what I have done, is to keep the fight against Ganondorf, and his evil. He will not stop. You will face hardship in the wake of this disaster. But the goddesses will support you, no matter who you are. They will not make your lives easy, but they will make you strong, and bring you moments of joy."

The Rito all looked upon him expectantly. He didn't have anything more to say. 

"And soon, our tribulation," he said, "of a thousand years will end. I... I am going to face Ganondorf, and defeat him once and for all."

At this, the entire crowd erupted in cheers. Link heard his name chanted in praise, but thankfully, most of the worded cheering seemed to be praising the goddesses.

The king then turned to the crowd, and began giving speaking more on what the people needed to do regarding returning to their homes, and promising that they would not go hungry. Life would be difficult for their kind. All their fields had been flooded with ash. If their crop was unsalvageable, it could mean great suffering for many.

Link truly hoped that the Goddesses would support them, as he had said.

But for now, Link took the King's speaking as an opportunity to withdraw out of the main city, and into the hallway where they had entered.

"Thank you Link," Medli said, following him in. "I... I can't express... just how in awe I am."

"Speaking honestly," Link admitted, "it wasn't nearly as difficult as before when I saved Valoo. I almost didn't think to use the wind waker."

"But you did," Medli smiled broadly. "And now, countless Rito have lived who may have died. Generations will live now, knowing that you saved their ancestors."

Link shivered at the thought.

"But Medli," he said, "you were the one, before and during my use of the wind waker, that held back the eruption. You deserve at least, if not more, of the praise I have received."

Medli's smile faded. "I prefer not to be so recognized. You will not live among our people. I will. I would rather feel the light of the goddesses in me, the warmth of doing good, than having it smother me every time I try to serve someone. I would rather my people forget of this."

"I will not forget."

Medli turned to Komali, who walked up to them.

"I recognize both of you for this," Komali said. "And I do believe you deserve recognition Medli... you... put yourself in the path of certain doom to preserve us."

"I serve the goddesses first," Medli said. "Others second, myself third."

"You don't have to be a servant," Komali said with pleading in his eyes, "at least for my family. You -"

"You pine for me Komali," she said, "but if you think my life will be happy when it is devoid of effort, you are sorely mistaken."

"I, no, no," Komali said, "that's not what I meant, and I -"

"Perhaps someday," Medli said, "I will consider your... interest in me, Komali. But for the moment, I have greater matters at hand."

"I... I understand," Komali turned away from her. His father began walking down the hallway toward them with some advisors.

He stopped, and smiled at Medli. He didn't say anything, but there seemed to be a nonverbal exchange between him and the servant. He seemed to recognize her discomfort. Then however, he turned to Tetra.

"Now," he said. "You."

"If you're wondering," Tetra said, "I was just kind of with all of them, and didn't do much, so it's okay to continue to hate me."

"Good. I was planning on continuing to do so. I'm trying to decide though if I feel like dampening the people's spirits with a public execution."

"Stop," Link said.

The king looked to him with some surprise.

"You can't harm her," Link said, "despite what she has done."

"We are indebted to you Link," the king said, "and I will respect your wishes if you decide to spare her... but I must stress this. She is a black-hearted robber. She has robbed not only us many times, but been a canker on the Gorons, and all the human races."

"I am watching her closely," Link assured. "I cannot speak for the other bands of pirates on the great sea, but she will not steal again."

Link suddenly felt a forceful grip from Tetra on his arm. It took all of Link's strength to keep from crying out in pain.

"So be it," the king said, seeming a bit disappointed. "I have many things I must attend to. I'll see that you and Medli are outfitted properly before you leave."

The king walked off, and Tetra pulled Link out of the hallway like he was a misbehaving child.

"You fletching sack of rot!" she yelled. "You aren't in any position to tell me what to do! I thought you promised me that you were precisely going to avoid doing that!"

"I just saved you from execution!" Link shouted back at her.

She tore her fingers off his arm, and shook them about, not knowing exactly what to do with her limbs to express her rage. She settled for gripping the pommel of her sword.

"I haven't enjoyed stealing like I used to Link," she said, "but now things are going to be much worse for me if I'm caught stealing from them again."

"So you are planning on doing it again," he said, anger simmering in him.

"I don't plan things like that. I take opportunity when it comes."

"Well there is an opportunity for you right now," Link said, "you can choose to give this up. You can choose to change. You can rise above this."

She trembled for a moment in building rage, and then released a breath.

"Fine. We'll do it your way. I'll let you watch me like I'm a child again."

Her attitude was less than desirable, but it would do for now. 

"We've found our sage," Link said. "We need to get moving."

"You hardly even know where we're going."

"We'll do the same thing we did last time," he said. "We'll make sure to pack more food than we need."

Link began walking out of the room, and to where Medli and Komali were talking in the hall. It was then that Link noticed the blue stone, still in Komali's hands.

"Hey Tetra," he said as she walked down the hallway away from them, "don't you -"

She stopped, and turned to look at the stone.

"Keep it," she said quietly. "You... you deserve it more than I."

She walked off away from them, and outside. She had a weakness in her voice and in her step. Link wasn't sure if he'd ever figure her out.

1