Chapter 9
38 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The platform in the middle of the arena sunk into the floor and disappeared as if it did not exist. The two Dragon priests each took the two groups together and began to explain the rules to them.

 

Aerin understood pretty easily the rules were straightforward. The weapons were both dulled and imbued with an enchantment to stop significant harm from occurring, but if it would have been a fatal blow or a crippling blow the enchanted arena will either pull the person to the ground if dead or pull the crippled body part to inhibit their movement.

 

The goal was simply to be one of the final people standing to move on to the top one hundred of this year's youths. Nothing lethal was allowed of course there was always a danger it was extreme rarity that anyone died in this.

 

At this point the sun had risen high into the sky making it nearly noon. The heat was pretty strong, but Aerin didn’t mind so much while it wasn’t comfortable she didn’t mind it too much.

 

Tying her blue hair into a ponytail with a red ribbon her mother had given her Aerin double checked her fist wraps and fastened her leather strapped boots firmly. As everyone took their positions evenly spread out across the arena.

 

At the north end a large bronze horn was blown announcing the start.

 

*swish*

 

Immediately a throwing spear wizzed past her head. Aerin has taken position with her back to the wall. The flyers had taken to the air almost immediately and many of them used ranged weapons or at the very least spears that they could thrust from above with. Two opponents faced her, one a drake class and one a wyvern class each holding a short sword.

 

The first one rushed forward clumsily showing their obvious lack of experience. Aerin backed up holding her palms outwards towards the charging youth.

“Take this!” the youth yelled as he attempted to swing one handed down onto Aerin’s head.

 

“Too slow!” Aerin thought to herself as she used her forearm to swipe the blade to the side as she dodged away. Using her foot to pivot off she pushed off and sent a fist crashing down letting her body's momentum carry her through.

 

*CRRRACK*

 

The fist cracked against the youths jaw sending him rotating one hundred eighty degrees onto the floor completely knocked out cold. When she had learned how to fight growing up hand to hand the follow through was extremely basic. If someone wasn’t going to use weapons they had to be quick on their feet and disable opponents quickly.

 

The Wyvern youth seemed slightly intimidated, but Aerin didn’t let them gather themselves as she darted forward to meet them.

 

With a bit of panic the wyvern youth sent a lazy horizontal slash at Aerin who ducked below it only to send a fist flying upwards into their jaw sending them tumbling down with a single shot K.O.

 

A roar erupted to the crowd who was cheering the entire time, but seemed pleased by her performance thus far.

 

Aerin looked around assessing the situation. It was obvious most of the weaker youths were already knocked out and what was left was roughly forty youths who were now occupying each other in duels. Only about five or so students per group moved on to the top one hundred so the fighting was far from over.

 

*swiiiisshh*

Out of the corner of her eye caught sight of a spear being hurdled at her from a high up angel. Aerin rolled forward causing the spear to imbed itself into where her position was previously.

 

A Dragon class had approached Aerin from the air. Though he wasn’t that high up it was definitely a significant advantage compared to her on the ground.

 

“I don’t see what got everyone so excited earlier about your Wyrm class, but it clearly isn’t advantaged over dragons who can fly. Ultimately you probably are nothing more than a special breed of drake. Pathetic.” the boy taunted.

 

Aerin ignored his words the only way to beat him was to launch herself into the air and get a good kick in, but she doubted he would stay put for her to do such a thing. Dodging another spear she kept her eyes out for others who would want to take advantage of her being distracted.

 

The Dragon youth was showing signs of fatigue flying as long as he was and his stability began to falter. Aerin smiled, she knew he would descend soon to catch his breath and at that time she would strike.

 

Just as the youth faltered again a spear came out of nowhere and struck him in the side sending him plummeting to the ground as the gravity imbuement pulled him rapidly to the ground.

 

A Dragon class girl stepped over the boy and grabbed her spear from the ground next to him with a sinister smile on her face. Aerin remembered who the girl was; she was the highest tier dragon class of the females in her group.

 

Lifting her spear at Aerin she pointed it at her, her eyes aiming at her down the shaft. “You’re next.” the simple words left her lips. Before Aerin could respond the girl launched herself forward bringing the spear back and struck out. Aerin dodged to the side to send a kick at her exposed stomach.

 

As her foot rocketed to the girl she lifted the shaft of her spear and blocked her blow causing the shaft to bend abnormally far.

 

Using the momentum of her kick the girl did a sideways spin and landed on her feet and one hand the other clutching her spear tightly. “You are good for a country girl, but it is over now.” The girl said confidently as she approached Aerin who was slowly taking steps back trying to read her next move.

 

Aerin dearly wanted to respond, but all that she could think of were extremely lame that would just embarrass her. At last the last twenty began to fight and Aerin was one more step closer to reaching the top one hundred.

 

Her opponent swiped sideways and sent her spear towards Aerin’s head which she blocked quickly. Without waiting another strike was sent thrusting forward pushing Aerin backwards until her back had hit the wall of the arena. The girl did a twirl over her head sending a strike at Aerin’s next who attempted to dodge underneath it only to miss her chance and have the blade connect with her arm.

 

A sudden force pulled at her arm making it essentially useless followed by pain in the area she had been struck.

 

Before she could respond another blow hit her exposed leg and sent her to her knees. Aerin’s opponent smiled “don’t worry I will see you in hell she laughed blonde almost white hair pulled into two twin tails gave her a very young look for her age. Without waiting she sent one more blow to Aerin’s chest which caused the pull to completely envelop her body and cause her to stare up in the sky.

 

“I lost...guess I can’t compete with the stronger dragon class Draakin.” Aerin couldn’t help, but internally sigh she had made a fairly good impression. She was certain someone would notice her at the very least.

 

For now...she had to wait.

0