Prologue
69 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the far future,


The world was at peace. Countries had formed treaties. Committees had removed the tax on international trades. Conflicts with guns and fists were scarce. Instead, people took part in gaming, programming, and sports to enjoy the thrill of competition.

Poverty was rare. The Government provided illiterates free education.

It was all going well;

It was all going well until two towers separated the world.

They flashed out of nowhere.

When the towers appeared, the lands become dry, the soil could not cultivate food anymore. Rives, lakes got contaminated. Buildings crumbled. It was hell.

The only way to survive was to enter the towers, but the tower was a vicious place.

The towers rejected the old and crippled. The newborns could not enter; It accepted only those between 18-40. There was a limit on the number of entries.

The remaining people outside either starved to death or killed themselves by sipping the tainted water.

Only about 100,000 people remained in the realm, with a populace of 20 billion.

Angels divided the tower inside into floors, and Towers placed a time limit to clear the floor.

When the people entered the tower, they saw a being with white wings.

Males perceived the being as the most magnificent woman, and women perceived the beings as the most stunning man.

People called those being 'Angels.'

Those beings said,


"Chaos engulfs the world.

You 'chosen' ones have been given shelter inside this tower, but the outside world suffers, your little children outside, your families outside.

We, the rulers of these Towers, Understand your wish to save them.

So, we give you a choice.

If any one of you reaches the top, then we shall fulfill your wishes.

We can bring back the dead ones on the outside.

We can turn the world precisely as before.

All you need to do is make sure at least one of you reach the top."


That speech itself had divided the people. There were those skeptical of the Angels. Some went along with the angels.

Those who took part in this Game of Angels were called Players, and those who rebelled were known as Hunters.

Players gained the blessings of the angels and got the proper gear, weapons, and skills. Hunters strived to survive on their own inside the tower.

They cleared floors and soared until only one man lived who cleared the last floor.

The world around him disappeared, and he entered a room. In front was a colossal throne, besides were six smaller thrones on both sides, where so-called Demi-Gods resided.

"We are The Demi-Gods," All of their voices echoed simultaneously, they all declared in unison. "For You who reached Here, Ask your Wish, and We shall fulfill it."

In the center rested a man, a hunter. The Last Hunter. He had dead black eyes; Blood drenched his hair. His name was Aeron.

"I was-," His voice stuttered but was steady, steady posture and face relaxed, "I was born in an affluent family."

Demi-Gods, who heard his deep voice and a sentence unrelated to the subject at hand, were startled.

The one resting in the grand throne spoke out, "Don't you want to save the world? If so, then wish it."

His dead eyes gazed into the Demi-god's eyes, "Gabrial, is that it? Your name?"

"A Human—Dare speak my name?" His brown narrowed. Gabrial sat on the throne. He had yellow skin like the sun and long golden hair. One of his hands held his face while another was carrying a trident.

"I was born into a rich family," Ignoring Gabriel's words, Aeron kept on babbling,

"Ever since-, I was born with everything, a rich family, parents, and siblings who adored me, great looks, overwhelming talent, nevertheless I never felt like I was the one above all-"

Gabriel interrupted his remarks, "We are not here to listen to your babble. Lets us know your wish, and I will fulfill it."

"Fulfil my wish-" He raised his arms, Red Markings covered it, "The Victor's Mark."

Hearing Aeron's word, Gabriel scowled, "How do you know about it?"

Eons Ago, When Thousand of Demi-Gods existed in the realm. They had made a game. Only those chosen by the Demi-Gods could play it. All the Demi-Gods sacrificed half of their power to create Two Towers and A Victor's Mark, which could fulfill any wish of its holder.

They would then send these towers to various worlds and see if one could complete them and bet on them. However, as time passed, Victor's Mark kept consuming more and more of their powers. Why this happened was unknown to even its creators. As time passed, this caused the Demi-Gods to deteriorate and disappear.

The remaining Demi-Gods could not undo the Rules and Regulation created while making the towers, as their numbers and powers had both diminished.

A wish needed to be made, and once Victor's Mark was released, the powers of the Demi-Gods would return; however, until now, no one from any world had reached the top except Aeron.

"The Victor's Mark dwells on my hands. If I wished I could kill you all, so you are really not in a place to question me," Aeron threatened them. However, Gabrial's expression remained perpetual. "Kill us? Yes, you could but-"

He continued, "You can release the mark only once. Only One wish can be made.

There's no world outside this place, no more of your kind, or any other kind. If we die, there can be no life.

You will be all alone left in this world. The only choice you have is to wish the world change it to how it was before the towers,"

Aeron's Expression also remained firm.

Gabriel noticed that and expressed further, "It does not need to be same as before, you can alter it to your liking, all the riches, tech, women, all of them can be yours, all you need to do is wish for it," He tried to tempt Aeron.

Aeron sighed,

"You can do me no harm.

I'm sure you crave to know just what I want.

So how about you listen? While I confess, I had to clear the last ten floors all by myself.

It's been a while since I spoke to anyone. There is a lot I wish to take out, so just shut up and listen."

Gabriel did not like his tone, but having no choice, he just listened.

"I was quite arrogant, never thought I would yield before someone or ask anyone for their help-"

A glint of sadness could be seen in his eyes,

"When the towers appeared, I lost everything.

At first, I lost my parents, my brother, and my sister.

Even from there, it was all downhill.

When abilities developed, I got lucky to get a C Rank Ability."

In the towers, Ranks divided abilities.

Only ten individuals possessed S-Rank ability, 100 individuals with A-Rank Ability, 200 with B-Rank, 500 with C-ranks, and the rest of them were just below D, E, F class abilities.

In such a scenario, even getting a C Rank Ability would be fortunate.

"When the population diminished, and higher floors were conquered, the ones with low-class skills got eliminated, soon I realized even I would be dead, with no choice.

I had to join a group, but I, spoiled since young, never working for someone other than family. My pride did not allow me to work under anyone else. Those who made and lead groups were B or A rank, A C-ranker like me had no choice but to comply.

My pride was on one side. The fear of death on the other. In the end, fear triumphed over pride.

I entered a group.

They were nice guys, the one who led us was someone of the same age as me. His name was Derek. He was blessed with A-rank ability, encouraged others, trained them, and supported them in terms of strength and phycological factors. The way of life was right.

I was fortunate, but you know, deep down, my pride had still not died down, my ego was not satisfied, jealousy had grown within me.

I wished people to look at me like how they looked at him. I craved to have the same ability as him. I wanted to replace Derek, I wanted to be the leader instead, but I knew the reality those were just silly dreams I could not have obtained. Slowly jealousy had turned into scorn.

But before hate could consume me, something unforeseen happened. Someone else betrayed our group, our location revealed, we were ambushed. Everyone was about to get slaughtered, Derec and the others had sacrificed themselves to save me.

I did not deserve such treatment. Even though I was jealous, I did not want them to die. I hated the one who betrayed us and swore revenge, but then I realized the difference between the one who betrayed the team and me, who survived.

If things had continued the way it was, who can say if I, myself, would not have taken the same path as him and betrayed the team. I felt grief. I felt guilt. I lost my way. Nevertheless, in the cruel tower, I had to survive.

I decided to let go of all my pride, grief and move on, the suffering moved on, but pride, it seems, I still had that. I joined new groups, but rather than letting go of my pride. I discarded attachment. Instead, I endured, but then on the 90th floor—the blissful hell—"

His voice died down. Gabriel Uttered, "You know about The Victor's Mark, you know about the Floor's name," He stood up, "Where did you obtain such information?"

Aeron ignored him again and kept talking. Gabriel choiceless returned to his seat,

"When I found out, you were the ones who created this tower. I was resentful. I wanted retribution.

You had taken away my blissful life, which I did not appreciate back then, and threw me in this hellish tower.

I wanted to kill you all, but after the 90th floor, my view of this world changed. Still, I wondered, why did you create a floor like that?" Aeron asked.

'Blissful Hell' That was the name of the 90th floor. Within the tower, it was a place thriving with life.

The soil was lush, rivers fresh, Enveloped by hills. In the center was a pre-formed city, with 50 households. The surviving members by that floor were 100 individuals, 50 males, and 50 females. They were all paired up. The angels made the pairs from people who knew each other.

A chance for harmony, the angels had said; The angels gave them two choices,

One was to rest for a month and enjoy a savor of paradise. The other was to live on here. Breed, and give birth to a new civilization within the floor. The Angels gave them one month time to make the decision. During this time, the couples enjoyed their stay at their new house. The land was endless, food could be quickly produced as the soil was fertile. Trees everywhere with numerous fruits, small animals, some wild animals were also present in the forest,

There were no internal conflicts. The continuous warfare had taught those people there was no point in having an internal war within each other. Everyone lived in harmony. Love grew in between the coupled pairs.

For a time, everyone had forgotten about the outside world, just enjoyed their happiness. Then a month passed.

Someone once said, "Comfort Zone is a Drug. Give a weak man consistent sex, excellent Food, cheap entertainment, and he'll throw his ambitions right out the window."

Everyone wanted peace.

People had suffered enough. No one thought about the people who died outside. No one cared.

Everyone realized they should move on, move on and start new. For some, the life they had got on this floor was far better than the one they previously had. Everyone had stayed and started a build a new civilization.

However, after five years, a tragedy had occurred—a dreadful catastrophe.

Gazing into Gabriel's eyes, Aeron asked, "Tell me, why did you create that floor?"

Gabriel lowered his trident, "A Strange question, Do you think we are evil? Maybe we are, but do you for a moment think you may ask us a question like that," He continued. "You? You who killed your partner on the first day on that floor, you? You who massacred the entire 90th floor?"

“Evil? Good?

I never understood such concepts.

What’s good, and what’s evil? Who decides that?

Gods like you?

They say when mortals make a mistake, Gods judges them, but when Gods make a mistake, who judges them?

At this point, I don’t care about things like that anymore.

I don’t consider myself a hero or a good guy, but, I, will save the world.

And in the process, even if I get cursed or abhorred by my kind for the means I used, then so be it.

I did not do it for them; I did not save the world for anyone; I did it for myself.

My sole purpose is to replace you. Saving the world comes as a byproduct.

It took me years to realize, but the only way I could ever feel free is when I am at the top”, Aeron Declared.

“Means? Your only choice is to make a wish. I do not see how you could get hated for it?” Gabriel asked, his eyes already drowsy, body swayed towards left. He had gotten exhausted from listening to the babbles of the mortal.

“Oh yes, I will make a wish, I will wish not just to revert, this planet, but this entire world, to revert by 70 years. 20 years before the towers appeared,” Aeron said as he clenched his fist.

The Demi-Gods, who had grown sleepy, woke up, and in unison, laughed.

Gabriel leaned forward, “You human, do you realize the consequence of your wish? If you revert the Time, rather than building your world in the current timeline, the Towers will reappear. However, Time doesn’t bound Victor’s Mark. Once released, you cannot reuse it, even in a different timeline. Once that happens, whether or not you clear the towers become pointless.”

“Ha!” Aeron said with a faint smile, “You know in church, I have heard this phrase many times, let me confess you something familiar.

Today I declare this to you,

My goals are beyond your understanding.

Gabriel fidgeted, “I see. Now, I Understand. If the Victors Mark gets released 70 years ago, then we from that timeline will regain our power, but as it happens, the Tower's course was likewise determined 70 years ago. You did quite a research, I see,” He remarked.

“Yes, I would not want you interfering with my plans. The towers you built to trap us will serve as a safe place free from your interference, isn’t that nice?” Aeron shrugged

Gabriel rested his arms on the manchette of the thrones. “Going back in time, I see your purpose.

After you go back in time, you then have two choices, one, after the towers appear, enter the Tower, take advantage of your prior knowledge, and build a new civilization within there and discard the outside world.

But a C Rank, like you, no matter how knowledgeable, will get cast aside once the S-Rankers take the lead. So, 20 whole years, to plan and kill them before the awakening.

There will always be players who commit PK. Some even got well known. One of your parties even got massacred by them, so you plan to kill their leader. Transgressors will always exist even if you kill them. They can be easily replaced, but abilities are predetermined so, once you kill an S-Ranker, the one who replaces the Ranker will be a rank below, making your task easier.

And once S-Rankers are out of the way, then you take the lead,

You decide who lives and dies,

You decided who gets saved and who gets sacrificed.

In other words, you play God.

And Kill us within that time frame.

Now, I see that’s why you do not despise us. You want to become like us.”

Aeron remained silent

Gabriel Continued, “Your next choice, Use the 20 years and find a way to preserve life outside the Tower. Once that happens, enter the Tower with no worries about the outside world.

And Kill us within that time frame.

In fact, it might even work.

But both of your choices really depend on the fact of you being able to kill us, which is impossible.

You might create a paradise within the timeframe of the Tower.

Once it’s over, We Can Interfere. Do you really think we would let your world free after that?

You are risking the entire future of humanity, just so you could play God.”

Aeron smiled,

“Those two choices are nothing but your assumptions,

I repeat this,

My Goals Are Beyond Your Understanding

The Red Mark on this arm shone,

It was so bright, The Demi-Gods Covered their eyes,

“I thank you for listening to my confession, not that you will remember, until next time, when I stab my sword in your hearts,” Aeron’s body disappeared.

9