10. Home
1.4k 10 99
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I kept the shop open a little later than usual for a Monday. It wasn't very busy but I got a couple more sales. I finally decided to close things up at seven o'clock. It was kind of pointless in a way. We made some sales, but nowhere near enough to cover my wages.

Not that I'd be claiming my hours anyways, I was there because I wanted to be there. It felt more like home than anywhere else, really.

I quietly locked up and turned out the lights, then I made my way to the back and passed through the door into Selene's kitchen. The smell of incense was immediately replaced by the smell of dinner.

"You're late," she announced. There was a smile on her face though, I could tell she wasn't upset. She was standing in front of the stove, where she had a large pot and a couple pans over the flames.

I closed the door behind me and set my bag down on the wicker love-seat, then replied "Sorry. It was kind of quiet and peaceful, I was enjoying myself and forgot to close up on time."

"Liar," she was still smiling of course. "You didn't forget, you were just enjoying the quiet. Now why don't you set the table, hon?"

"Yes ma'am."

This was the first time she'd invited me to eat with her in her home, but the dishes and things were all exactly where I'd expect them to be. I got out a couple plates and two sets of cutlery and laid them out on the kitchen table. I moved to the fridge and asked, "Wine to drink?"

"Of course," Selene replied. "Help yourself to whatever you'd like. You can have some wine too if you like."

"Thanks," I replied, but I was sure she knew I'd stick with water or milk.

I opted for the latter, and set out a small glass for myself, and a glass of white wine for her.

Soon enough she had the food ready. It was some kind of pasta dish, chicken and vegetables mixed with noodles in a creamy garlic sauce.

It was delicious. I never ate that good at home, and my folks never took me to any restaurants. I imagined it was like what you'd get at a fancy Italian restaurant.

As we ate, I asked "Hey Selene? How'd you learn to cook so good?"

"Mostly from cooking shows," she smiled. "Back when I had a television, I really enjoyed watching the Food Network."

I looked at her, but I couldn't tell if she was serious or not. Sometimes she'd say the most outrageous things and I'd know she was telling me the truth. Other times she'd say something utterly mundane and normal, and I'd get the feeling she was kidding around.

Like if she'd said she spent a decade studying cookery in Italy I'd have believed her. Telling me she watched the Food Network, that sounded totally made-up.

After dinner I helped with the washing up, and the left-overs were packed into tupperware containers. I knew she'd either have it again tomorrow for dinner, or maybe bring it to work for lunch.

Soon enough the dishes were put away and the kitchen was clean.

"Well, what shall we do with ourselves now?" Selene asked me.

I shrugged, "I don't really know? I don't want to go home, but if you don't want me around I'll find somewhere else to be."

She had a thoughtful look on her face as she watched me. "Hmmm. Let's go sit somewhere quiet hon, so we can talk more."

The two of us wound up out in her large backyard. She had two big white Muskoka chairs out there, sort of overlooking the large pond. They were sturdy and comfortable, and it was a nice enough night I could almost imagine just curling up to sleep on that chair.

The sky was clear, we had the moon and all the stars in full view. Selene's place was far enough away from anything else there were no streetlights around, or anything else like that. It was just the two of us, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by woods and sitting beneath the night sky.

Selene had a glass of wine with her, resting on the arm of her chair. She'd offered me some again but I didn't like wine. Or any alcohol, for that matter. Since I had milk with dinner, I just had some water with me now.

There were insects out and about of course, but none of them were biting tonight. Not biting the two of us anyways, which was nice. Even nicer were the fireflies flickering and dancing in the darkness by the tall grass at the edge of the pond.

The moon wasn't quite full, that had been five or six days ago. It was waning gibbous now, but it still shone pretty brightly.

It was wonderfully peaceful. No parents shouting at me or each other. No TV blaring. No neighbours making noise, no car horns in the distance. The only sounds I could hear were a breeze gently rustling through the trees, and the occasional call of frogs in the pond and owls in the woods.

I looked up at the sky and asked, "You named yourself after the moon, right? I mean, your name is based on the Greek word for the moon."

She smiled and had a sip of wine, "I suppose so, yes. The ancient Greeks had a lunar goddess named Selene."

"Was that you?" I asked, turning to look at her. "Are you a goddess?"

She was still smiling as she shook her head slightly, "I'm not sure I believe in gods and goddesses, hon. Not the way most people think of them, anyways."

It was another of her vague non-answers, but I didn't mind. She may as well have been a lunar goddess, or I could easily believe she was mistaken for one a few thousand years ago. It didn't really matter.

Instead I turned my attention back up to the night sky. Something about it seemed to tug at me, deep inside.

The darkness of the sky punctuated by all the bright stars was calling out to me. I felt it again, deep within my core. Maybe it was my heart, but it might have been something even deeper than that.

The sensation stirred inside me a third time, and I finally understood what it was telling me.

I took a deep breath then said quietly, "I know who I am now. I know my name."

As I spoke I recognized my voice had changed. It finally shifted out of that ambiguous middle-ground where it had been stuck the past couple years. Instead it settled into a higher, feminine pitch. I didn't even have to look, I knew my body changed along with my voice.

I was still sixteen, still around five-foot-four. My jet-black hair had grown again, it now hung partway down my back. My eyes remained green, but with more flecks of gold in them. Where before people saw me as pale or unhealthy, now they'd describe me as fair. And rather than being perceived as skinny or scrawny, now they'd see me as slim or slender. Instead of seeming awkward, now I was delicate.

The ambiguous androgyny I'd worn as a mask or shield for so long was finally gone. I was unmistakably feminine, from the tone of my voice and the look of my face to the swell of my chest and the curve of my hips.

Selene glanced at me, but there was no surprise in her expression. She wasn't shocked or startled. She looked at me instead with compassion. Her voice was quiet and respectful as she asked, "Would you like to tell me who you are?"

I had no hesitation or uncertainty in my voice. There was perhaps some pride in it though, as I announced "My name is Skye. And I am a girl."

After that I did hesitate slightly, and maybe some uncertainty crept back in as I added "I might also be a cat sometimes. I haven't decided yet."

"Hello Skye," Selene replied with a warm, friendly smile on her face. "It's wonderful to finally meet you."

It felt good to hear her use my real name. I smiled, and I may have blushed slightly.

"And there's nothing wrong with being a cat when it suits you," she added. In a slightly conspiratorial tone she half-whispered, "I've been known to be an owl on occasion, when the mood strikes me."

The two of us sat quietly for a few more minutes. A part of me wanted to be surprised that she'd just accepted who I was so easily.

For the past sixteen years I'd been ignored, overruled, and dictated to about who I was supposed to be, what I was supposed to do. And at one point I'd been violently and angrily told who and what I could not be. After all that, it was almost hard to believe I was allowed to simply be myself. At the same time I knew that Selene would never doubt, question, or challenge such a thing.

I felt a surge of emotions that nearly brought me to tears, as I realized life could be this way. That it didn't have to involve pain and stress and fighting.

"Selene?" I asked, turning to look at her again. "May I stay with you? I don't think I want to go back to my parents' house again. I'm not really keen on going back to school next month either, to be honest."

"Of course Skye," she replied without hesitation. "You're welcome to stay as long as you like."

That felt nice too, knowing I was welcome. "What about school?"

She glanced at me with another smile, "Skye if you don't want to go, there's not a force on Earth that could make you. You're a smart girl, I trust you'll learn all you need to know whenever you're ready to learn it."

After a moment she added, "But if you ever do decide to go back to school, or university or college, it'll always be there when you're ready for it."

"Thank you Selene," I whispered. That made me feel good as well, knowing I could choose my own path in life. I didn't have to do what anyone else wanted. I didn't have to live up to anyone else's expectations.

We were both quiet for a little while longer, till I came up with one more question.

"How did I really get through the door into your home that first time?"

She finished the last of her wine then replied quietly, "My store and my home are attuned to me, the doors only unlock for me. You and I are alike, Skye. The door recognized you for what you really are, even before I did."

I frowned slightly and asked, "So anyone like us could just walk in?"

"Perhaps," Selene replied in a soft, sad voice. "I didn't know there were any others. Until you came along, I believed I was alone."

I could relate to that. I'd always felt alone and out of place too, until I met her. I had just one question left after that.

"Selene? What are we?"

She settled back on her chair and looked up at the night sky again. "Just a couple lost wandering souls, who eventually found themselves and each other."

She sounded a little embarrassed as she added, "Though it took me a lot longer, and I travelled a lot further afield before figuring myself out."

I looked at her and smiled. "To be fair, I had an excellent guide to help me find my way."

She laughed, it may have been the first time I'd ever heard her do so. It was a pure, melodic sound that reminded me of wind chimes. "There's no need for flattery, child. But I appreciate the sentiment."

Selene finally stood and picked up her empty glass. "I think I'll turn in for the night. You come on inside whenever you're ready. No need for a tour, you'll find your place without any help from me."

Somehow I knew she was right.

I don't know how late I stayed up, but it was relaxing being out there alone under the night sky. It was some time after the frogs and the fireflies and the owls had all turned in and the night was still and silent, when I finally got to my feet and returned to the house.

As I walked I discovered my clothes were different, and realized they must have changed when I did. My beat-up old jeans and faded t-shirt were gone, along with the off-brand sneakers I'd worn for the past year. Now I was wearing a short-sleeve knee-length black dress, knee-high black socks, and black mary-janes on my feet.

The house was dark and quiet as I entered through the back door. I'd never ventured beyond the kitchen before, but there was no fear or trepidation as I moved through the doorway into the rest of Selene's home.

I passed by the dining room, then found a cosy-looking living room.

There was a fireplace, unlit of course at this time of year, and an old well-worn sofa. A sturdy wood rocking chair sat to the left of the hearth, and on it rested a square purple cushion that just radiated comfort.

I moved towards that chair with purpose, and in a few short strides I was standing before it.

I stretched my neck upwards till I was able to see the top of the cushion, and sniffed at it curiously. Its scent carried the memories of countless winter nights warmed by the fire. I could also detect traces of incense from the store, and even some faint echos of my boss, relaxing as she enjoyed a dusty old book.

With one hop I was standing ontop of the rocker. It wobbled back and forth slightly under my negligible weight but I easily kept my balance on the swaying chair. I circled twice, then finally curled up in the middle of the cushion. My tail wound around and tucked under my chin, and that felt as warm and comfortable as the cushion did beneath me.

I took a deep breath and sighed in contentment. I finally knew who I was, and where I belonged. I was happy, at peace, and I was home. Within seconds I was fast asleep.

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

99