Epilogue
1.4k 14 98
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was another August holiday Monday and the store was closed. I walked quietly past the tables and the displays. The cash register was turned off, as were all the lights. There was plenty of sunlight coming in through the windows though, it was around noon and this was the height of summer.

I heard the quiet clunk of the front door unlocking itself as I approached. I pushed it open and for the first time in years, I stepped outside into the real world.

For a moment I stood there just outside the door. The air smelled like I remembered. There were some distant sounds of cars and people. Many of the little shops downtown would be closed today, but a few places would still be open. Restaurants and cafes, mostly.

I finally let the door swing closed behind me, and after it shut there was another clunk as it locked itself again.

I didn't need to tap or wave or make any other theatrical gestures, the lock simply responded to my thoughts and desires. Selene didn't need to do any of those things either, but I'd long since learned she had a flair for the dramatic. She'd protest loudly and at length if I ever mentioned that out loud though.

Not that she'd ever be truly upset or angry with me. Very soon after she agreed to let me stay with her, I came to understand who we really were to each other. She'd been like a mother to me all along, and that was no accident or random coincidence.

I was positive that Selene was my spiritual mother, that I'd manifested myself into existence in response to her loneliness, her longing for another like herself. And I was just as certain she knew it too. She was my mother, my teacher, my mentor, and my best friend. And I was her best friend, her apprentice, her student, and her child.

I was also her part-time employee, albeit only rarely. I'd take shifts now and then, when Selene wanted a day off or when I felt like being social with the customers. I still spent a great deal of my time at the store mind you, but when I wasn't working I was simply there keeping my spiritual mother company.

The store remained quiet much of the time, so the two of us had plenty of time to talk. Over the years I'd learned more about her real business, and about myself. And I learned to use my talents consciously and deliberately, rather than relying on instinct. Soon I even hoped to start creating spells of my own, that we could sell alongside Selene's.

I also enjoyed just quietly watching the customers come and go while I relaxed on the counter, perched atop my purple cushion. Many of the regulars even got to know me, and I was frequently treated to head-pats and ear scritches. A few were even trusted enough to give me belly rubs.

Being a cat was almost as nice as being a girl, and I divided my time about equally between the two. Today however I needed to be a girl. After seven or eight years - I'd lost count exactly how many - I finally decided to leave the shop and Selene's home behind for a few hours.

On the one hand it felt like an important step, part of my growth and learning. On the other hand, it was nothing. I wasn't going anywhere that far afield, nor was I going anywhere strange or exotic. Especially compared to some of the places my spiritual mother had taken me on field trips as part of my lessons with her.

Today's excursion was to a place as mundane and average as could be. I was going to visit the house where I spent the first sixteen years of my life. I might have called it the house where I grew up, but that would be inaccurate. I grew up one night in the backyard behind Selene's home, which I subsequently learned wasn't even a place on Earth.

After a few minutes just standing in front of the shop door, I finally turned and set out on my way.

As I walked, I wondered what I might find when I reached my destination. I made a point not to look ahead, I didn't want to spoil the surprise. Instead I kept my senses bound within my physical body. For now, I would try and be nothing more than the normal sixteen-year-old girl everyone else saw when they looked at me.

My body hadn't aged at all since that night several years ago. Neither Selene or I ever aged or changed, except when we wanted to. My jet-black hair still reached partway down my back. My skin was still fair, my eyes were green and gold. My dress was short-sleeved and came down to my knees. It was black, and made of soft, comfortable cotton. On my feet were a pair of black mary-janes overtop of black knee-length socks.

Yes, it was a lot of black. But as Selene once said, the store does have a dress-code after all. Beyond that, it was just comfortable. When I was a cat, I was a black cat. So when I was a girl, I had black hair and wore black clothes.

The streets and side-walks weren't busy, but there were people out and about enjoying the holiday and the nice weather. I smiled and politely greeted everyone I passed. Most responded in kind. I was happy to find the town was still small and still friendly.

My mind wandered as I walked. I was surprised to note how little things had changed while I was away. Back when I lived in this world it felt like things changed on a weekly basis. There were always people coming and going, stores opening and closing. Now, after the passage of nearly a decade, I was taken by how much it all seemed the same.

Eventually I made the last turn onto the street where I used to live. As I did, my eyes picked out one thing which was very different, and very unexpected.

I continued to walk quietly and calmly past the familiar houses until I reached the spot. Then I turned, and just stood there on the sidewalk as I stared.

The house where I spent the first sixteen years of my life, the house where my birth parents alternated between abusing and ignoring me... Was gone.

Before me sat an empty lot, overgrown with scattered weeds and wildflowers.

I hadn't really had any expectations. I didn't know what I thought I'd find here. I suppose I imagined my parents should still be here, my dad's beat-up old pickup would still be rusting quietly in the driveway. Perhaps I thought I'd find my parents sitting in the living-room, staring at their TV. Dad would be drinking beer, mom would be sipping a rum and cola.

My mind wandered through different possibilities as I wondered what happened here. I may have lost track of time as I stood there, staring and thinking.

Eventually I was pulled from my thoughts as a small sporty red car pulled up into the driveway next-door. The windows were down and loud pop music was blaring from within. The noise ended as the car was turned off, and two young women emerged.

The driver was an inch taller than myself. She was nineteen, slim, with long reddish-brown hair. Her eyes were brown, with flecks of green and gold. Her skin was slightly tanned, and she was showing it off. She was wearing a dark green bikini top and a pair of blue cut-off jean shorts.

The passenger was about my height. She was also nineteen, and her dirty-blonde hair was a little shorter than her friend's. She had bright blue eyes and fair skin, though it wasn't as pale as mine. And her outfit wasn't quite as daring as her girlfriend's, she was wearing a short pink skirt and a white tank-top.

The pair had arrived for a family visit. It was a holiday today after all. They'd be busy otherwise, either with their summer jobs or preparing for college again in a few weeks.

I recognized them both, though I hadn't seen either of them in about fifteen months. I remembered they came into the shop together to talk to Selene about magic, and ended up leaving with one of her spells.

The two young women started towards the house, they were talking and laughing happily. They only got a few paces before the brunette turned around and looked at me. She had a concerned look on her face as she approached.

She stood next to me and asked, "Hey, are you ok? You look kind of lost."

"I'm fine," I replied calmly. "Thank you for asking."

I gestured towards the empty lot and asked, "Do you know what happened to the house that used to stand here?"

She glanced at the lot and frowned, "Uh, it was a few years back but there was a fire. I guess they decided it was a write-off or something? The family moved away afterwards."

The blonde came to join us, she stood next to her girlfriend and sort of looked me over as she tried to figure out who I was. She stayed quiet for now as the brunette and I were talking.

"Do you know if they were all right?" I asked the taller girl, as a slight frown wrinkled my brow. "They weren't hurt, were they?"

I didn't feel any particular love for the people who once lived here, but I didn't like the idea of either of them coming to a tragic end.

The brunette nodded "Yeah I'm pretty sure they were fine? Like I said, they moved away. It was a while ago though. Like seven or eight years maybe."

She seemed curious as she looked me over again then asked, "Did you know them?"

I glanced between the two of them, then gave them one of those little knowing smiles that Selene does so well.

"I'm glad things worked out well for you two. You make a very cute couple."

Before either of them could respond I added, "I suppose I'd better be on my way. Time to get back to the shop, I think."

The brunette frowned and asked "Have we met before? Who are you?"

I smiled at her and replied, "I work at the magic store downtown. My name is Skye, but you used to call me Natalie."

She stared at me with wide eyes and a slack jaw as I turned and started walking away.

I glanced back and said over my shoulder, "See you round, Alexis and Chloe."

"No wait!" Alexis called as she came after me. "I want to talk to you!"

I grinned and decided to show off a little. It would be well worth the lecture I was sure to receive later.

In full view of the two young women behind me, I suddenly leapt forward. I landed on my paws and broke into a run. My ears and tail were both standing up tall and proud as I dashed across the quiet street then darted along the sidewalk, a small black streak bounding away at full speed. I finally turned and disappeared in between a pair of houses.

I emerged downtown, in the alley off Main Street. I slowed to a walk as I was was back on two legs again, and brushed some non-existent dust from my dress. Magic doors were a convenience, but they weren't a necessity.

The shop door unlocked as I approached, and I pulled it open and stepped inside.

Once again, I was home.

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new stories!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

98