Chapter 9: Possessions
732 4 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I noticed it earlier in our fights. Um, it's a bit of a pain to command my possessions around the battlefield. I mean, I could do it. But, at that point it would be like playing with the undead all over again."

Ted, Phil and Karen all felt a little shocked. "Possessions?"

"Well… that's not so bad. So, long as I'm her possession."

"This is exactly why we shouldn't trust her."

"I think they mean friends... right?... Maybe?"

"I only stepped in because of this one." She elegantly raised her whole arm to point at Ted. "He would've died. I couldn't observe, watch and save him. He would've made a gross zombie."

Ted's heart fell and twinged. "Gross, again!?"

"And, there were too many the second time. I would've lost one of my possessions. I don't want to lose any one of you." She clasped her hands together, leaned towards them with a pleading look and moist innocent blue eyes.

They could've sworn that a halo appeared above her head. It almost even seemed that the sky had opened up and embraced her in a warm sunbeam. The point being that their healer girl looked entirely too angelic.

It made them almost want to cry and try their hardest for her.

"Ah, she called us possessions again!" Their faces turned to stone at the realization. 

Also, they were underground, a sunbeam would be impossible. And, she was a necromancer, a halo was out of the question. And, they just watched her stitch together Ted. It's a bit difficult to think of anyone as angelic with a dozen ominously glowing needles hovering them. 

Also, she had lied to them. She wasn't a healer at all! Well, she could heal. She hadn't lied about that part. But, she also didn't mention that she was a necromancer. Until it was too late. 

"We need to get back to town. Annul the contract." Phil thought to himself and decided. "Alright. We can try. But, only on the condition that you help us if we start getting hurt."

"Huh? Of course, silly. That much is obvious. I already told you didnt I? You're much more useful to me alive than dead. I won't let anything kill you."

"I'd be privileged to do it for you, Lady Zephyra." Ted kneeled before her, took one of her hands, and looked into her eyes. He gave her his most debonair smile. "I'd do anything for you, milady."

"Please, don't think I'm gross. Please, don't think I'm gross!"

"Um, thanks. I know you will?" Zephyra gave Ted a confused look. But, politely, she smiled back. 

Karen just shook her head and thought, "Why do you have to be so weird, Ted?"

Phil shook off his nerves and rolled his shoulders. "Alright. Let's go."

He turned around and began to push on the double doors. They slowly creaked open. A faint glow of crystal light illuminated the room beyond. 

Unbeknownst to any of them, Zephyra had already let out a deep disapproving sigh. 

The doors swung upon faster than they had anticipated and smashed against the stone walls. 

K-THONK!

The resounding cacophony echoed the chamber and the group waited with baited breath.

The sound faded. Nothing had responded.

"Heh, Phil. I thought I was supposed to be the loud one." Ted placed a hand on Phil's shoulder and shook his head dramatically. "I mean, I know that you have all that muscle, but you don't have to take it all out on the door."

Phil turned bashfully to the group. His face was colored a bit red. 

"Heh, sorry."

Zephyra kept smiling, but didn't respond. She walked into the newly opened room and waited for the rest of the group to enter. 

A lone skeleton stood on the other side of the room near an empty throne. It wore black armor, a helmet, and a two handed sword. It's eyes began to glow red as they drew near. It took a step forward toward them.

"I'll hold his attention. Karen, stay back and hit him with your spells. Ted, help attack him when there's an opening." Phil quickly rapt out instructions.

"Nah, he doesn't look that bad. There's only one of him. We can just take him, if we rush him." Ted quickly declared and unsheathed his sword. "In fact, I'll take care of it. Just leave it to me." 

He ran off toward the monster before the other's could react.

"Gods dammit all.", Phil swore loudy and started to run to keep up with Ted. "Don't just do whatever you want!"

Karen quickly turned to Zephyra before running after them. "Well… we'll try our best?"

Zephyra nodded and started to look through her satchel. The adventure into the dungeon had been a lot more work than she had expected.

"I think I have an idea of what to expect here."

Ted reached the skeleton knight first. He opened with a wide telegraphed swing. He aimed for the head.

"One hit. One kill. Hell yeah!" He thought. 

The knight took a step to the right. He dodged the blow with ease. Then, he took a step forward. His knee swung upward. It connected with Ted's stomach. And, Ted was midstep and sent flying backward. 

Phil approached the armored skeleton shortly after Ted. 

"Damn it! This is why I told you to wait, Ted."

He approached the skeleton carefully with his shield raised. They circled and kept each other's distance, gauging each other, waiting for the perfect moment, an opening, to strike.

Karen stood further back and started casting a spell. She had finished her chant and was just waiting for an opportunity. Phil was too close to the target. She didn't want to hit him by accident. 

"Um, Phil-" She started to announce that she was ready. 

"Hrah! Your weak little kick won't keep me down!" Ted came running back onto the scene. He was bruised but not injured. His screaming warcry drowned out everything else. 

Phil quickly turned his head toward the charging bard. "No, Ted! Wait for an-"

The moment that Phil had taken his eyes off of the Knight. It had attacked. It made a quick thrust toward his chest. Phil barely managed to react in time. He parried the lethal blow with his shield. 

The knight closed the distance. He pushed the shield to the side with his thrust. And, delivered a solid gauntleted punch to Phil's face. Phil heard something crack. He stepped backward dazed. He swiped his sword blindly in the air.

It hit nothing. The knight was gone. It broke past Phil. And, rushed toward Karen.

Karen panicked. She set off her spell too early. The spell broke loose. It careened hazardously toward the knight. 

The knight easily stepped around it. It hadn't slowed down.

The spell continued and exploded against Phil. He fell over completely. He was covered in scorch marks. He was in pain and burnt. But, he was still breathing. 

The knight drew close to Karen. She didn't have a chance to cast another spell.

Ted had made it past Phil. But, he couldn't make it in time.

 "Wait!" He screamed.

The knight lazily stabbed towards Karen. She barely managed to deflect it with her staff. The knight stepped close. It grasped her head. And, with a gasping, grating voice... it spoke.

"Drain."

22