Chapter 12: His Phil-osophy
639 11 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Phil kept his fist clenched. It wasn't right. 

"Karen's injured because of Zephyra."


He followed behind Zephyra to help her retrieve food for Karen. They descended the stairs to the tavern in silence.


"If she hadn't insisted that we fight without her, Karen wouldn't be hurt."

A few early morning eyes turned toward the gorgeous creature in front of him, but most of the people ignored them. Zephyra walked over to the barmaid and requested a breakfast porridge to bring back to their room. 

Phil watched her fuss over the meal, while a small voice in his head tried to defend her from his accusations. "At least, she healed Karen and Ted. They would have died of she hadn't fixed it."


"But, it was her idea to go to the dungeon. They weren't ready for it. They almost died because of her decision. Also, she's a necromancer. We can't trust her."

His eyes bore into the back of her neck.

Zephyra fidgeted turned toward him. "Um, is everything okay?"


He didn't reply.


"It's just that… you've been staring at me for awhile…"


Phil averted his gaze and awkwardly scratched his cheek. "I've… uh, just been wondering where Ted went. He'd like to know that Karen is awake."

Zephyra looked at him for a bit. He felt as though she was weighing his response. As if she could tell that he was lying. 


"She won't be able to tell. Stay calm"


She nodded. "Yeah. Um, he left a while ago. He said he wanted to get something for Karen."

"Then, I'll… I'll go find him. He needs to know." He turned and walked away.


"Karen should be alright. It'll just be a few minutes. I have to find them. They can help us."

"Phil?" Zephyra called after him gently.

He stopped dead in his tracks. "Yes?"

"Um, I know that you've been worried about her, but… she'll recover." She held her arms to her side and added emphatically, reassuringly, "I won't let anything happen to her."

He nodded absentmindedly. "Yes. She'll be safe."

He walked out of the tavern and into the bright, scorching sunlight. He winced and waited for his eyes to adjust to the light. It was a hot, yet beautiful day.

"I'll make sure that's she safe."

He strode out into the street with purpose and determination. The area around the tavern was relatively devoid of pedestrians. It was quiet, and he could hear his own thoughts clearly again. It wasn't stifling, like it was next to Zephyra. Even if she wasn't a necromancer, she just didn't seem… natural.

It set him on edge.

He felt all of his anxieties and pent up nerves relax as he walked further and further away.


He knew what he had to do. And, he could feel his conviction solidify with each and every step. 

He passed through the market quickly and weaved through the gathering crowds. It was noisy and boisterous. A cacophony of sound and color that assaulted his senses.


He hoped that he could stumble across Ted amongst the throngs of people.

"If not. I'll be back with Karen soon."

Yet, unlike earlier in the week, he found that he enjoyed the busy market. It reminded him that they were alive. They had lived.

They would travel to the market together again. They could laugh with each other again. They could cry with one another. And, they could jab and playfully insult each other. 

It reminded him that he hadn't failed yet. He had time. He could keep them safe.

He clenched his fist as the memories of the past few days welled up inside his mind.

He recalled the stomach dropping terror as Ted was impaled with a spear. He heard his screams as his friend was forced to remove the projectile on his own. He must have been in a lot of pain. 

He felt a shiver run up his spine as he saw the needles float around Zephyra and dig into his friend's flesh. He remembered the icy touch of metal as it sewed his flesh shut.

"Karen and Ted had it worse. My wounds were minor."

He faltered in his step as he recalled the sight of the husk of his friend, laying on the cold dungeon floor. 

"Never again. I won't let that happen. Ever again."

He picked up his pace, until he found what he sought. 

The man stood by himself in front of a temple. He wore a white robe, a flaming pendant, a curved glaive and an expression of utter boredom and superiority. 

Phil approached the stranger.

"I'd like to report a mage."

21