Chapter 16: Karen(g) for each other
551 6 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


Karen laid back and stared wistfully out of the window. She had slept sporadically throughout the day and felt a lot better for it. 

"I don't think I can get up and move. But, I'm not nearly as exhausted."

Her book was thoughtfully placed within arms reach of her bed.

"I'll read for a bit. I'm really tired of sleeping right now."

A pair of raised voices nearby interrupted her peaceful plan. They were indistinct, but clearly angry and emotional. The door to her room swung open a moment later. 

Ted stood in the doorway.

"Oh. You're awake. I thought that Zephyra would be in here as well."

"Ah, well, no. It's just me in here. Alone. With my book."

Karen's thoughts drifted to Zephyra sleeping next to her earlier in the morning. Her cheeks flushed unwittingly. "It'd be nice if I woke up with her next to me again…"

A hint of disappointment lingered on the edge of her emotional periphery. 

"Oh", Ted stood motionless in the doorway. He wasn't sure what to say or do. He was still mad at Phil, but seeing Karen had resurfaced all of his worries and doubts. 

Her white hair made her look incredibly different. It complimented her average appearance and elevated it into an otherworldly domain. It was difficult not to stare and watch her now. 

Although, it wasn't because she was suddenly conventionally beautiful. But, because she had changed. An encounter with death that had profoundly changed her and altered more than was perceptible to the eyes. It was almost as if she held a morbid fascination that called out to an inevitably within all mortal life.

Either way, it reminded him that she had almost died. And, it was all his fault. 

"I-i, um, I'm going to go find Zephyra." Ted stuttered and turned to leave.

"Ted, wait!" Karen called out to him before he had taken a step further away. 

He stopped and turned his head over his shoulder.

"We need to talk."

"... About what?"

Karen rolled her eyes. "What do you think?"

"I… don't know if I can."

"Just sit down and talk to me." 

He reluctantly shuffled next to the bed and sat down. He kept his eyes glued to the floorboards the whole time. 

"So… are you doing alright?" Karen started. 

"I… I wasn't injured by the knight." 

"That's good. I don't remember much after I was… well, you know."

"Karen. I-I'm so sorry, it was all my fault and-"

Karen put her hand up to cut him off. "I'm not interested in your apologies."

He shifted his weight uncomfortably.

Karen leaned forward and lightly flicked his forehead.

"You fucked up, Ted."

"I know", he whispered.

"You charged in alone."

"..."

"You didn't follow the plan and decided to do whatever you wanted."

"I-"

"You put your life and the lives of everyone on your team at risk."

Ted clenched his fist. He deserved it. He deserved worse.

"And, what happened to me wasn't your fault." Karen sighed and leaned back. The conversation was taking more energy than she thought it would.

"W-what? What do you mean? I messed up. I ruined everything I nearly got you killed."

"No, Ted. You didn't. You messed up formation and you put everyone at a higher risk. But... I'm responsible for my own failure."

She closed her eyes and watched the scene unfold before her again. 

"Right now, I keep seeing it happen again and again. I've been wondering what went wrong and what I could've done differently… and do you know what I've found?"

Ted shook his head. It was his fault. It should be his fault.

"I couldn't defend myself. Not even a little bit. He toyed with me and took me out because of my … incompetence." 

"But, I-"

"Ted. You don't need to take on that responsibility. Let it go. Learn. Do better next time."

He nodded dumbly, trying to wrap his head around her speech.

"Oh, and to be clear, I am mad at you. I want to be mad at you. But… I… I'm a lot more angry at myself."

"Karen… I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry." Ted started to cry. He hadn't realized that he had held it in for all this time. 

Karen let her friend cry next to her. She didn't know what more to say, or do, for him. So, she just laid down and waited for him. 

After he had calmed down, Karen smirked and playfully punched him with a weak fist.

"I'll pay you back for it sometime, alright?"

Ted sniffled and smirked back at her. "You got it. My vote is to throw me to a horde of horny women to save yourselves."

Karen sighed. "Ted… don't ruin it."

She laughed anyway and drifted toward sleep. 

"I'm tired. I'm going… going to sleep."

"Sleep well. Get well soon." Ted murmured fondly. 

"I'll try." She yawned and let herself drift away. 

As she drifted into her dreams, she convulsed and heard a familiar voice grate emanate from her subconscious.

"Drain!"

17