Chapter 32: A Dreamy Affair (Part 3)
335 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The journey through the dungeon was incredibly smooth. At least, compared to the time that she remembered. It was a bit strange though, they had entered into the dungeon with two other friends and party members that she didn't remember. But, she was assured by Ted, Phil and Zephyra that they had all been friends for a long time. 

Suzy was a bright redhead with a sunny disposition and a fiery temper. She was apparently an archer. And, if the skeletal corpses that had collapsed at the discretion of her well placed arrows were any indication, she was quite proficient with a bow. 

Joe was a sandy blonde with a gentle smile and a body that rivaled Phil. He had a giant two-handed spear strapped to his back and two shortswords at his side. He was a warrior like Phil. But, he seemed to focus on offense more than defense. 

However, perhaps even stranger than the two strangers was Ted. He was remarkably subdued compared to his usual behavior. And, unnaturally proficient at his role within the group. 

He didn't rush forward to seize death and glory for himself. Nor did he constantly boast about his prowess in bed and battle. He just stayed in the middle of the group and pleasantly hummed throughout their excursion, providing inspirational support where it was needed. 

It was unnerving. Karen had never actually enjoyed his singing. Even though he had sung constantly around her. His voice was a bit stretched, high pitched and nasally while he sang. Like, he was constantly reaching for notes that he couldn't hit.

And, he had a bad habit of choosing songs that none of them enjoyed. Usually, a song about bedding a maiden, the strength of men, or some equally inane chauvinist ideal.

Yet, currently, it was a beautifully haunting sort of melody. It made her want to stop and listen to it. It didn't have any words, just a simple tune that conjured images of wistful loss and sorrow.

"Where did you learn that Ted?", Karen asked.

"Hmm?" Ted turned toward her as he sidestepped the deadly swing of a skeleton. "I'm just making it up as we go along."

"I've never heard anything like it."

Ted flashed a grin and ducked underneath a blow aimed at his head. "I hope that's a compliment."

Karen smiled back at him. "The closest you're going to get anyway."

He shrugged and lazily slashed at the skeleton as it overextended. The bones fell to the floor with a clatter. 

"You've gotten a lot better at swordsmanship as well."

Ted laughed lightly and quietly. It was pleasant, neither loud nor overbearing at all. "I've gotten some practice lately. I'd rather not make the same mistake twice."

"That's a nice attitude. I wish you had it gotten sooner." Karen teased. 

But, Ted just grimaced and grit his teeth. "Yeah. I wish I did too. You might not have gotten hurt if I was more careful."

"I already told you that's not-"

Phil interrupted their conversation and pulled the group to a halt. "We're here."

They stood in front of a large daunting set of double doors. The door seemed larger and more imposing this time around. Karen was sure if it was her nerves, or if things had changed since she was last here. 

Either way, she wanted to run. Her body screamed at her to leave. It pleaded with her and begged her to not face it again. It told her that she wouldn't be coming back from this confrontation. 

Zephyra sidled up to her and intertwined their fingers. 

"Don't forget. We're all here for you. We'll all be here after you're done.

I love you. And, I won't let anything happen to you."

Karen shivered and glanced back toward the entrance of the dungeon. Her skin suddenly felt wet, cold and clammy. But, it wasn't too late to leave.

"Alright, everyone." Phil addressed the group. "Just remember that Karen has to get the last hit on it. Otherwise, it might not work."

"Wait… what-" Karen started to ask.

It was too late though. Phil pushed upon the two doors and stepped inside into the darkness. 

Karen blinked. It was dark. Too dark. She couldn't see anything at all. 

Phil was… gone. So was Ted. And, Suzy and Joe. 

Her hand felt empty and cold. 

Zephyra. 

Karen couldn't find her. 

Her friends were gone. She could feel the panic and the loneliness crash in around her. She couldn't do this on her own. She needed everyone. She needed her people. 

And, yet, she wasn't alone. 

As she continued walking, a pair of red eyes materialized in the onyx abyss. 

The metallic screeching scrape of metal against stone filled the chamber. And, the rattle of bones and armor creaked closer to her. It was here. 

The knight had come for her.

It would finish it's task.

Karen panic and launched a flare at the monster. Her aim was off and the bolt careened toward it's left shoulder. 

The monster stepped to the side. It charged at her. It was faster and stronger than it was last. It reached her in a mere moment. 

The knight swung it's blade from the right. 

Karen desperately parried. She pushed the blow away to the left.

The knight stepped forward. It reached for her face. 

Karen shrieked. She fired a flare. The fire rammed straight into its chest.

The attack didn't leave a scratch. 

The skeleton clacked it's teeth together. It laughed and mocked her effort. 

"Give up. You can't defeat me. You're weak."

The armored knightmare stepped forward once again. It toyed with her. It jabbed at her arms. 

The blow caught her left shoulder. Karen cried out. Her hand flew to the wound. It came away with blood. It hurt. It was excruciating. 

The undead cackled and swung at her again. 

Karen dodged backward. But, she felt a wall press up against her back in the darkness. 

This was it.

This was the end. Her end. 

A gaunt bone hand reached forward. It grasped around her head. 

Time seemed to standstill. Karen thought about her friends. She thought about their warmth. She thought about their kindness. She begged for them. She cried out for them to come back. To save her from this terrible end.

But, it wasn't to be.

Her memory shifted further back. And, she remembered all of the annoyances, the letdowns, and the constant failures. Her back was against the wall. Her friends weren't coming. 

The only way to survive was to save herself. 

Karen reached and grasped the skull with both of her hands. And, screamed as loudly as she could.

"Drain this bastard!"

Karen poured all of her mana into the creature, willing it to burn and consume her enemy. The knight shrieked and pulled back. But, she stepped forward with it. She refused to let go. 

"Burn!"

Karen poured more of her energy into the fire. 

The skull ignited in flame. 

"Burn!"

She screamed as the fire engulfed her hands and burned into them. 

The undead desperately swiped it's sword at her body. 

Karen jumped onto the monster with all of her weight. This was it. 

All or nothing. 

"BURN" Karen hissed through her clenched teeth. It was painful. It hurt too much. It was too hot. 

The bones turned to ash. 

The armor fell to the floor with a clatter. 

It was over. 

Karen rolled onto her side and gasped for breath. Her body ached. Her hands felt cracked and crisp. But, she was alive. She won. 

A smile slowly grew on her face. 

And, she did it without any help from anyone else. 

Karen looked over to the smoldering heap that was once her archenemy. A thick miasma rose from it. It spread through the air. It was foul. It smelled of death and decay. And, something instinctual told her that it was dangerous.

But, she was trapped in the same room with it. Karen couldn't escape. It would kill her eventually, she would have to deal with it somehow.

Karen paused and pushed her mana toward it. It formed a barrier and covered the miasma, preventing it from coming closer. On a whim, she started gathering and collecting it all into one place. It was exhausting after her fight.

Yet, she was so absorbed in her task that she hadn't hardly had time to notice any of the pain. All she knew was that she had to contain this somehow. It was dangerous. It would kill her. 

Karen condensed the miasma into her mana and pushed it into an orb. She pressed it together. Further and further, until it was barely the size of a ball. 

But, she could feel the massive power contained within her. 

Zephyra materialized beside her. 

"You did well, my love." She spoke softly.

"Holy- when did you get here?" Karen nearly swore at her girlfriend. 

"Just now. There was some sort of barrier that separated us. I wish I could've gotten here sooner."

"Oh." Karen said simply. She focused harder at containing the necrotic energy. 

Zephyra glanced down at the fragile orb containing the vast amount of power. She licked her lips and sidled up to Karen.

"You know. You have an incredibly powerful weapon right there."

"Yeah? Well, I'm trying to keep it from killing us, thank you."

"I can help you take care of it. If you give it to me, I can do all sorts of wonderful things with it."

Ted and Phil materialized on the other side of Karen. They spoke together with one enormously creepy joined voice.

"Don't listen to her. She'll destroy everyone with it. 

Come on, you know us. You've been with us since we were kids. You can trust us with it."

Zephyra frowned and pulled on Karen's arm. "We can go back to the inn. We can be happy again. And, we can make love together. I'll be your girlfriend, just like you always wanted. Our happily ever after."

"We can go out together, Karen. We can have money and riches. We'll be able to gather all of the best books that money can buy.

You'll be respected. You'll be well known. And, we won't have to struggle for anything ever again."

Karen frowned. It was difficult to concentrate with everyone talking around her. It was difficult to think about it and maintain her hold on the miasma. 

"How would this even be able to help them? Ugh, I wish I had more time."

An entirely unfamiliar voice echoed throughout the chamber. 

"Granted."

Her surroundings slowed and froze into a shade of gray. The miasma stopped undulating within her self made mana prison. Even her mana stopped flowing from outside of her. 

Zephyra, Ted and Phil were frozen in the midst of their arguments as well. 

A strange figure walked through the darkness. It was a shadow. Yet, distinct from its surroundings. It radiated a sense of nothingness all around it. And, yet, it sported a very large smile with hundreds of horrid sharp teeth that extended deep into its mouth. 

"W-who are you?" Karen stammered, this new thing was more horrific and terrifying than the skeletal Knight. And, she had no doubt that she was hopelessly outclassed. 

"I am your guarantor. An extension of the void." The creepy shadow thing stated. The darkness behind it seemed to writhe and recoil away from it. 

"G-guarantor?"

The shadows' smile grew bigger. "Indeed. The guarantor of the contract between you and Zephyraster Von Malficar Verhängnis."

"Wha-... What contract? What does this have to do with my Zephyra? Do you mean my girlfriend's contract?"

The things teeth clacked and ground against each other in an ear wrenching approximation of a laugh. 

"Heh. No. 

I would never guarantee a mundane contract between lovers. I'm here for something much more important. 

And, I doubt that little Zephyraster even understands the full extent of her father's work."

"What are you talking about? What do you want from me?"

"I'm here to give you my blessing. 

Congratulations, you lived much longer than the others and you managed to amuse me while doing it." The shadow cackled once again. 

Karen recoiled in fear and discomfort. 

"Your blessing? What? Why would I want that?"

"Oh, trust me. You'll find it useful. I have your best interest in mind. This time around." 

"N-no, I think I'll be-", Karen stuttered.

The creature of the void raised it's hand to silence her. 

"But, it seems that I have interrupted you at an intriguing moment. 

If you truly decide against my blessing, how about some friendly unsolicited advice?"

Karen couldn't breathe much less speak. The shadow slowly drew closer to her. The gaping maw pressed against her ear and whispered. 

"Don't give it away." 

The creature withdrew and walked back into the darkness. 

"I'll give you a gift appropriate to your decision."

And, it disappeared.

Karen found herself with her mana pouring back into the orb. The miasma violently struggling against the confines of it's imprisonment. And, her friends draped around her begging seductively into her ear. 

"Give it to us."

"Give it to me."

Karen closed her eyes and took a deep breath. 

"I hope that this is the right decision."

She picked up the orb and made it as small as she could. Then…

She ate it.

11