Chapter 33: Nom-Nom Necrosis
377 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Karen screamed as the miasma burst from the prison and flooded through her body. It released a searing pain as it flayed through her nerves, only to deaden the agony with an unfeeling numbness. It burned, but only in stuttering waves as it reached a new area to consume. 

It was going to kill her. She could tell. She could feel it. She had to do something.

No one else could save her. 

Karen closed her eyes and focused on her mana. The one thing that she knew could contain the necrotic energies. She directed the flow into the heart of the storm. And, focused on containing the damage running rampant inside of her. And, leaking outside of her.

She was alone again. 

Ted, Phil and Zephyra disappeared when she had made her choice; washed away in a tempest of necrotic mana that stormed out of her.

Karen tightened her control. The pressure decreased. The black magic slowly reigned into the confluence of her mana. The force of her arcane attunement encapsulated the destruction. And, shielded her body from further harm. 

Her mana coated her arcane channels and allowed the deathly potential to flow freely and harmlessly. It was hers to control. She owned it. It was her power. She earned it.

And, no one could take it away from her.

The darkness around her blurred and gave in to the light as her eyes fluttered open.

Karen regained consciousness.

The world around her was not the one that she knew. 

She was in a large living area and seated comfortably next to a fire. She was resting in what was once a luxurious recliner, but had been touched by decay and rot. And, it seemed as if it was barely held together. 

She glanced to her right and noticed two odd shapes that were resting in other chairs. 

Karen immediately recognized that one was Phil. Although, he seemed different somehow. He seemed empty and hollow. Yet, far more than she could comprehend. 

And, a strange girl was breathing heavily next to him. As if she had just exerted herself through some monumental task and was trying to catch her breath. But, she seemed vaguely familiar somehow. 

Karen couldn't quite place it. But, it felt as though she had known the girl for a long time. Except that she was certain that they had never met.

"Ugh, what happened? Where am I? Who are you?" Karen asked.

At least, she meant to ask. But, her throat felt absolutely parched and all that came out of her mouth was a strangled sound. 

The unfamiliar woman sat straight up in her chair and turned toward the sound with wide eyes.

"Karen!" The woman cried out in relief and surprise. "You're awake!"

"Wh-wh-", Karen croaked. Her body felt like it was on fire. 

"Oh, you probably don't recognize me, huh?" The girl sounded a bit sad and afraid. "I, um…"

"Wa-water?" Karen barely managed to rasp out. 

"O-oh! Of course, let me get that for you."

The woman jumped up and ran over to a silver trolley filled with various foods and drinks. And, she quickly rushed back with a goblet and a pitcher filled with water. 

"Here! This ought to help. I can imagine that you must be thirsty. You've been unconscious for almost a couple of days now." 

The girl brought the goblet up to Karen's lips. "Drink up! It should help make it easier to talk."

Karen greedily started to drink the water. She choked and coughed a bit as she drank too much at once. 

"Woah, easy there. We just got you back. We don't want to lose you again." The woman smiled kindly and took a deep breath before she plunged into a fast paced prattle. "We were so worried about you! I mean, we were talking and then you suddenly started convulsing and doing all of this really scary spooky shit. Then, you fell unconscious and I couldn't wake you up. So, I went to get Zephyra, but I couldn't find her. So, some other guy came to help, but he said you were dying and that we couldn't fix you. And-"

"Wa-wait." Karen coughed and cleared her throat it was irritated and parched. She finally placed why she seemed so familiar. "Ted?"

"Um… yeah. Haha, I look pretty different now, huh?" Dawn laughed nervously. "Oh, but my name is Dawn."

"What happened to you? No, wait, what happened to me? Where are we? Is Zephyra alright?"

"Um, well I'll try to answer. I'm not exactly sure what happened to me. I just woke up like this not that long ago. And, moved Phil over there when he collapsed. Oh, he's fine by the way. At least, he said he just needed rest. 

Anyway, some creepy shadow thingy showed up and-"

Karen paled. "Creepy shadow? You mean… That wasnt just a dream?"

Dawn nodded. "You mean that you saw it too?"

"Yeah. It told me that it was going to give me a blessing."

"Oh, it told me that too. Then, I woke up like this."

Karen raised an eyebrow in panic. "So, I'm going to wake up as a guy soon?"

"Um. No. I don't think so. I… I think that's just me.

Phil was punished and woke up with some really creepy, but also kinda cool, eyes. I'm not sure what's going on.

But, maybe, you got some notifications? 

I know that I did."

Karen blinked in surprise and listened for the system notifications. 

[[Karen] has gained a level.]

[[Karen] is now [Sorceror] level 2]

[[Karen] has gained a level.]

[[Karen] is now [Sorceror] level 3]

[[Karen] has unlocked: [Bloodline: Undead]]

[[Bloodline: Undead]: You can call upon the necrotic powers of another plane. You are considered Undead, even though you still have ties to the living. Unfortunately, the more you draw upon it, the more that it will corrupt you.

Your mana has been tainted with Necrosis. All magical spells that you cast add necrotic mana.]

[[Karen] has gained skill: [Necrotic Fortitude]]

[[Necrotic Fortitude]: Magical necrotic power has suffused your being and increased your resilience.

You have gained immunity to mind affecting effects, such as charm, fear, illusions, and compulsions.

You have gained immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and disease.

You are immune to nonlethal damage, life drain, ability drain, and mana drain.

You do not need to eat, breathe or sleep.

You no longer regenerate your lifeforce naturally and require necrotic mana to sustain yourself.]

[[Dead-End Magicka]:

Anytime that you would be affected by a spell or magical effect, you may expend an equal portion of your mana to negate that effect.

Necrotic mana will bolster your lifeforce. Radiant and Life mana will deplete your lifeforce.]

[Arcane Clarity of the Undead: 

Your mind and body has been ravaged by storms of necrosis energy.

Your emotions and senses have deadened. All of your perceptive abilites have been halved. The intensity of your emotions have been halved. 

You have gained the ability to sense mana.

You may add half of your level to your mana manipulation ability.

You may add half of your level to your mana regeneration ability.]

[[A̷͍̚̚g̵̝͑͋a̸͙̰̽̓n̸̺̈͑o̶͓͑̕t̸͕̾͊ͅh̷̻̊̔] has sent a system message:

"You have realized that you cannot always rely on others. And, when your back is against the wall, you can only truly rely on yourself. You did not give away your power to friends, nor lovers. Or, those that masquerades as them. No, you have gained power for your own sake, your own reasons, and your own goals.

Therefore, I will grant you a power that will only belong to you. A dream come true.]

[[Karen] has been blessed by A̷͍̚̚g̵̝͑͋a̸͙̰̽̓n̸̺̈͑o̶͓͑̕t̸͕̾͊ͅh̷̻̊̔]

[[Karen] has gained unique skill: [True Fantasy]]

[[True Fantasy]: 

You have spent most of your life lost within the machinations of your mind. Then, you created an entire world within yourself. A dreamer lost within the dream. 

You may add your level to the [Fantasy] skill. 

You may add your [Fantasy] skill level to your mana manipulation, Arcane Magic and Necrotic Magic skills.

You gain resistance to altered realities.]

 

[Status] [STR]: 8 [INT]: 18

[Name]: Karen Smith [AGI]: 14 [WIS]: 8

[Race]: Human/Undead [CON]: 10 [CHA]: 10

[Height]: 5'5"

      

[Weight]: REDACTED

[STA]: 50 [MANA]: 1200

[Sex]: F

      

[Class]: [Sorcerer] - Lvl. 3

      

[Aspect]: None, Necrotic          

[Magical Abilities]:

 L13 - [Arcane Magic], L12- [Necrotic Magic], L14 - [Mana Manipulation], L9 - [Mana Regeneration], 

[Bloodline: Undead], [Necrotic Fortitude], [Dead End Magicka], [Arcane Clarity of the Dead]

[Skills]:

 L1 - [Diplomacy], L2 - [Arcanum], L2 - [Dodge], L8 - [Reading], L6 - [Bluff], L8 (+3) - [Fantasy]

[Unique Skills]: [Undead Physique], [True Fantasy]

[Proficiencies]: L1 - [Staff], L2 - [Incantation]

      

Karen felt like she should be freaking out. But, she wasn't. She just felt mentally exhausted. 

"Yeah. I got a few notifications…", she told Dawn with a deadpan expression.

"Oh, really? What happened? I mean, I got a pretty big power boost." Dawn added with a smirk. "I guess, dynamite comes in small packages."

"I'm not sure that's what that expression means T- er… Dawn." Karen fumbled. "I died apparently."

"See? You're probably a much better mage now as well now and… wait… you died?" Dawn gasped in horror.

"It said that I'm considered Undead now. So, I guess so."

Karen paused and stared at her hand for a moment. It didn't seem that different. Her skin was perhaps a little more pale. And, it felt like she was a little bit removed from the sensations in her body.

"Um, are you okay?" Dawn asked fearfully and with a subconscious pout.

"Huh, she is much cuter than Ted." Karen idly thought to herself. "I'm alright. I'm not entirely sure what happened. I think I'm partially alive. And, partially dead. I'll have to ask Zephyra."

"That's a great idea! I mean, as our resident necromancer, she'll probably know what's going on and will be able to fix you."

"I'm not broken, Ted."

"And, I'm not Ted, not broken."

They both stared at each other for a moment, glaring and willing each other to bend and surrender first. 

"Pft. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have used that terrible joke. It was so stupid." Dawn giggled to herself. 

Karen smirked at her antics. "And, it seems that I shouldn't have called you Ted. I'm sorry, Dawn."

"Well, I suppose that I can forgive you. Just this once. I mean, there are a lot of things that have happened. And, you just woke up."

"Yeah. A lot has changed. I'm still confused."

"I'm surprised though. You're taking this all in stride pretty well."

"I think it probably has something to do with my new skills." Karen sighed. "I've gotten several things that seem to suppress my emotions."

"O-oh. I'm sorry. That's really-"

"It's nice right now actually. I can figure out what's going on first."

"R-right. I guess that makes sense."

"Can you tell me everything that has happened?"

10