Chapter 39: Leap of Faith
212 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zephyra hissed and pulled on Bob's arms as he slowed down to look around. 

 

"We don't have time to look around! We have to leave. Now."

 

The sun had already begun to climb into the sky. The appalling rays had just begun to illuminate the city. A deep red hue seemed to cover the morning sky and their surroundings. As though, the heavens had mirrored the night of butchery and recognized that their will had been done. 

 

Bob quickly nodded in assent and scurried after Zephyra as quietly as they could. The temple complex was slowly beginning to come alive. They had managed to dodge through the various patrols on the way to the wall. Bob had a bit of insider knowledge that helped them to predict the patterns that they would run across the guard. However, the increased activity had made it exceptionally slow and nerve wracking to leave quietly. 

 

A pair of guards patrolled the area next to the wall. They stood in between them and their exit. Yet, they seemed unaware of the danger that could befall them. 

 

Bob pulled the sword from the belt around his waist. He was willing to fight for his freedom. But, his hand trembled. The sword shook and quivered in his grip. 

 

He knew these two people. He had spent the better part of the last two years training and working alongside these acolytes. And, he suddenly found that he wasn't willing to take their lives. 

 

Zephyra heard a sound behind her and spun on her heels to face Bob. His sword was drawn. And, his face had lost it's palette and vigor. She glanced around the area. 

 

It was clear. However, it was only empty from the patrols on the ground. Many of the acolytes had made their way to the roofs for their morning prayers. A straw mat tucked underneath their arm as they prepared to worship the sun as it cleared the horizon. 

 

If they created too much noise, it was likely that they would be spotted from above. And, the entire complex would bear down upon them. They had to escape quietly if they wanted to have any chance of survival. And, incapacitating the guard would likely draw far too much attention and noise.

 

Zephyra lightly bit on her thumb as she considered her plan of action. 

 

We could wait for the guards to move forward. It may be too late by then. We could make a distraction. But, I don’t have the mana for that sort of thing right now. Maybe, find another way out?” Zephyra shook her head. It wasn’t a great choice either. “Its very likely that they’ll discover that their prisoner has escaped very soon. And, they’ll swarm through the entire complex looking for us.”

 

Zephyra inspected the wall that stood between them and freedom. It was tall. She had managed to vault to the top at night. They could likely do it again. Yet, Bob was injured. And, it would likely take them too long to pull themselves away from danger. The dark mage grumbled underneath her breath. They only really had one choice. One that would give them the best chance of success. 

 

Zephyra tapped Bob’s shoulder and pointed upward. They would have to climb in the shadow of the building. And, hope that they could jump far enough to clear the distance, and reach the top of the wall. They would probably be seen once they reached the rooftop. But, they should also be far enough away that it would prevent them from being attacked before they escaped. 

 

Zephyra and Bob began to scale the side of the building. Their fingers dug into the cracks and crevices of the uneven stone. And, they slowly lifted themselves from the ground. It was difficult. An arduous task. Their muscles and fingers screamed with exertion. She made it to the peak before Bob, his injuries and residual pain slowed him down considerably. He grit his teeth and muscled through the strain and agony.

 

He had nearly made it to the crest of the establishment. He was so close. A mere hand-width away from the destination. And, his foot slipped against the wall. He grimaced and yelped in surprise as his body struck against the wall. The sword he had sheathed in his belt clattered against the stone with a metallic clang. 

 

Zephyra glanced around in panic. Had anyone seen them?

 

The two guardsmen near the wall approached the alley to investigate the sound. An acolyte on top of the roof yipped in surprise and astonishment. He called out in alarm.

 

“Wha-? Who are-”

 

Zephyra didn’t waste anymore time. She threw herself flat on the building. She reached for Bob’s hand. They grasped onto one another. And, she hoisted him quickly onto the building.

 

“Run!” Zephyra urged and pushed Bob toward the wall. 

 

“Stop! Intruders!” The acolyte shouted and alerted the others.

 

Bob limped across the roof as fast as he could. His heart beat against his eardrums in a surge of panic and adrenaline. Gods, they were going to be killed.

 

Zephyra ran alongside him. The acolyte chased after them. They sprinted across the length of the building. They neared the edge. The ground swarmed in a flurry of activity beneath them. This was it. 

 

An arrow whistled past their ear. Another clattered near their feet. 

 

They winced and pressed forward with all their strength. They ignored the heaving of their lungs. The ache in their legs. And, the doubt that stirred within them. 

 

“Jump!” Zephyra called out and launched herself from the roof. Her hand firmly grasped against Bob’s.

 

The ground fell away beneath them. 

 

And, she landed nimbly on top of the wall. 

 

Bob was not quite as fortunate. He wasn’t quite as fast. He didn’t jump quite as far. He couldn’t quite cope with the lingering damage to his legs. 

 

His knees cracked against the stone with a sickening crunch. 

 

He cried out. “Agh.” 

 

He tumbled over the wall. And, down to the street below.

 

Zephyra jumped down after him. 

 

A bell rung in the distance behind them, alarming the entire city to their presence. A clamor of voices and a cacophony of human bodies swarming into the streets surrounded them. 

 

Zephyra smirked. Then, laughed as she fell to the ground. It was all so absurd. 

 

The church that had hunted her. The followers that had murdered her father. They had her in their midst. She had slipped amongst them. And, stole their prize away from them. She had won. 

 

A small victory, to be certain, and one that could still sour to the taste of defeat. But, nevertheless, she smiled and laughed maniacally. She had done it. She could do it. 

 

Bob crashed into the ground with a heavy, “Oomph.”

 

He managed to hit the ground with a roll. And, dispersed most of the damage into forward momentum. But, his arm still took the brunt of his spill. It dislocated and hung at an odd angle as he laid on the ground. 

 

Zephyra landed gracefully and rushed over to him. She quickly inspected him. He had fractured one of his legs against the wall. But, he could still walk. His arm could be fixed fairly quickly. It wasn’t life threatening. So, she would fix it as soon as they had the opportunity. 

 

First, they had to get away from the hornets nest that swarmed around them for the kill.

10