Chapter 50: Knock-Knock
185 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Um, I'm pretty sure that the only time that I met her was when she was unconscious. Is she always like that?" Bob asked curiously. 

Karen was a lot more intense than he had imagined. Even if they hadn't talked much, his initial impression was that she was a bookworm, withdrawn and socially reclusive. It certainly wasn't the impression of the cold, confident, and harsh femme fatale that had just swept through like a whirlwind.

Phil shook his head. He wasn't sure why she was acting so differently. It was obvious that something had changed within her. But, he certainly didn't know what it was exactly. It hadn't been long since they had all changed. And, this morning was the first time that they had really sat down and talked about something that made those differences glaringly obvious. 

"No. She wasn't that way."

"It may be for the best. She gave me a lot to think about… I don't think she would've confronted me about it beforehand." Zephyra absentmindedly answered, lost in the haze of her own thoughts. 

"We do have a lot to organize and figure out now." Bob replied cheerfully. "If you need any help. Feel free to let me know. I'd be happy to do what I can. In the meantime though…"

He turned his gaze wistfully toward Phil. Gods, the man was nice to look at, even though the situation with his eyes was a bit off putting. It didn't stop his heart from hammering in his chest. Or, his cheeks from flushing red with all of the blood rushing toward them. 

"W-would you like to come up with a way to train everyone? And, like… choose an appropriate dungeon, or something, to boost our levels?" He paused for a moment. He wasn't quite sure what he was saying. His mouth was moving far ahead of his thoughts. "W-with me, I mean."

Phil raised his eyebrow. It was strange, Bob didn't seem to have a problem speaking until he spoke to him. Did he have some sort of problem with him?

Well, that didn't seem very likely, he wouldn't have invited him if he didn't want to be around him. Still, it made him a bit self conscious that he started stammering around him.

"I could help," he turned to Zephyra. "If you would like us to help?"

Zephyra waved her hand absentmindedly, dismissing them to do whatever they wanted. "Well, it would definitely help, and it would give me time to figure out some of the more long term things. And, you know Ted's and Karen's limits better than I do."

She paused and thought over what all they would need to make appropriate plans. 

"The study is on the third floor. It should have the appropriate information, maps, dungeon guides, and whatever."

Bob beamed at her, thrilled and rather happy to have a chance to be with Phil. Platonically. Strictly as friends. He definitely didn't harbor any feelings, or attraction, to the tall, muscular, well-built, extraordinarily attractive…

Well, anyone could tell just by looking at him that he was handsome. It certainly wasn't only Bob that would think that he was cute. Or, manly. Manly and masculine probably suited better as a description for Phil. Still, he was cute in that regard. He definitely wouldn't mind if he was platonically pinned against a wall and...

"Bob?" Zephyra asked quietly, startling him out of his reverie. "The study is on the third floor."

"Hmm?" Bob shook his head and turned to Zephyra. He hadn't heard her very clearly. "Oh. The study. Third floor. Haha, alright, I got it. Yup. No worries."

Phil stood up and stretched. He had been sitting down for quite awhile and a lot of his muscles had gotten a bit stiff. Bob was a bit odd. But, he had helped him before, it would be nice to be able to repay that debt. He was worried that he seemed to space out so much though. 

"Well, if anything, it just means that I'll be able to help and keep us on task." Phil thought to himself. However, it might not be normal for him to be quite so absentminded, something could be weighing on his mind. A lot had happened after all. "You alright?"

"Hmm? I'm great. Like, really good actually." Bob smiled dopely upward at Phil. 

"Really?" 

Gods, it was almost as if he was drugged. Did the guarantor do something to him as well?

Zephyra giggled to herself. She didn't really understand the feeling itself, but she had read enough about humanity to understand what was going on between the two of them. 

"Phil, I think you should probably be more worried about yourself right now."

Phil blinked owlishly; he should worry about himself?

He hadn't really thought of it. It was much easier to watch out and care for other people. He could handle himself. But, should he worry about himself?

A lot had changed. And, he had been taken for a joy ride. He had been scooped out and hollowed. He wasn't the man that he had been. It would make sense to worry about himself before he worried about Bob. He nodded in agreement. 

"I'll watch out for myself."

Zephyra smirked to herself. It was obvious that he didn't understand what she had meant. But, she wasn't about to tell him. It would work itself out, one way or another. 

"Study. Third floor. Off you go."

The magic of the contract tingled subtly and pushed Phil forward out of the room and up the stairs. Bob quickly tagged along in tow. 

And, Zephyra was left alone to herself and her thoughts. 

The necromancer spaced out and zeroed in on a spot on the wall. It wasn't intentional. But, there was too much to think about. And, a lot had happened all at once. Her thoughts refused to cooperate, or organize, in any meaningful way. 

She knew that she needed to plan. They needed to keep moving forward. They needed to learn and grow. But, she was so tired and mentally exhausted. There was too much. Far too much to consider. 

It wouldn't hurt to take a moment. A brief reprieve for herself. A moment to relax. A second to catch her breath. 

In the end, she wasn't sure how long she had sat there in her blank altered state of consciousness. It could have been a minute. Or, possibly hours. But, there was one thing for certain…

KA-THOOM!

Her tower was in danger.

8