Chapter 3: I Don’t Know You
69 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I want to go home…”

Avice Alera shifted uncomfortably in her bed, eyes wide open and an unbearable chill taking over her. The loud silence overwhelmed her, only to be broken by the unsettling grumbling from her stomach. The room was small and dusty; so compact that one could barely fit enough furniture in it. The bed was tucked away in the farthest corner from the door, and next to it was a small, wooden table that appeared that it would fall to pieces if she touched it. Along the wall was a cabinet, and a small rug decorated the cold, splintering floor. The sole window for her room was tiny, and the light that came through it barely lit the room, highlighting the dust particles dancing inside the beam. She tossed and turned and stared at the lone, tall candle that flickered ever so gently. “Sam… Ruby…”

A knock at the door startled her and ripped her away from the silence. “Madame?” A young man’s voice called.

She grumbled and decided to stay quiet.

“I’m here with your meal.”  

She reluctantly shoved the sheets away and stood up. She stomped towards the door and opened it violently. What greeted her was a man with gentle and kind features carrying a small tray with food on top. He was shorter than her, and his tone as well was lighter. He had dark brown hair, and chestnut eyes. He smiled wryly and said, “Good afternoon.”

“Afternoon?” Her disgruntled expression loosened, and her eyebrows rose curiously. “Jesus…”

“Indeed, afternoon. I will be honest, madame, I’m surprised you opened the door this time.” He chuckled.

She glared at him. “This will probably be the last. Thanks for the food.”

She grasped at the tray and took it from him, turned, and shut the door. “W-Wait!” He tried to call to her again, but she let the door do the work. “I come with another message, Madame! The Lord desires to see you!”

“I don’t care about the Lord or whoever you’re talking about. Just leave me alone.”

“Please, just give him this one chance! If only for a brief moment.”

“Shut up. It’s not gonna happen.”

The man’s hands twitched and he said, “This is the attitude you give to the family that saved your life? Pathetic.” He snarled. Avice stopped in place, heat rising and her blood boiling. “I expected more... Perhaps the young master was too naive to assume you were worth saving when you’re only going to act like a whore from the Eldred District.”

The tray shattered as she threw it across the room and forced the door open again. “What the fuck did you call me?”

His once gentle eyes were replaced with disdain. Almost as if he was looking at trash. She shivered at his gaze and her expression twisted. “I called you a whore, you ungrateful bitch. Out of all the women he’s saved, you’re the only one to never even thank him. How long has it been? A week? And you’ve never once gone and spoken with him.”

“Don’t… call me a bitch…” She growled.

And in return, the man scoffed. “Any woman would pledge their life to the masters if they were ever rescued like you were.  Such kindness and benevolence could only be responded to appropriately. But I guess someone as stupid as you doesn’t even understand that. Bitch.”

She lunged at him and threw him to the floor.

She straddled him and held his throat with a bear-like grip. He gazed into her eyes and he began to scream. The man’s condescending attitude quickly disappeared and he called out for help, his eyes swirling with tears and his body convulsing violently. He yelled at her to get off of him as he tried to reach for her hair and desperately grasped at her clothes, but she smashed his head against the cold floor.

She stood and kicked him as hard as she could, and tried to do so again to knock him out before Dall came around the corner and pinned Avice down. She tried to attack him too, but Dall knocked her out.


“So this is the girl that you saved?”

“Yes, Father. Please understand that this is the first time she’s acted so rashly. I mean… I haven’t seen her in a week since then, but... I’m sure that she isn’t a bad person. She was fighting against the Eldreds, so she can’t be. So please at least be lenient with her punishment.”

“You talk as if I desire to execute her.”

“N-No, I’m not trying to say that. It’s just that she attacked one of our servants and the punishment for that is pretty severe so Father plea-”

“Silence, boy. She’s waking up.”

Avice lied down on her bed, covered in her sheets when she awoke to two men speaking with each other. As she opened her eyes slowly, she saw Dall and an older, kind-looking gentleman sitting against the table. From what she saw he was tall, muscular, and had a very large, yet aging beard. The hairs on his head were graying out, and wrinkles scattered across his face. “It is nice to meet you, girl. I am Lupin Greatsword… Dall’s Father and Lord over this land.”

She was speechless. She eyed him up and down, and nodded. “Pleasure.” She said.

Silence filled the room, as Lupin and Avice stared at each other. “What is your name, girl?”

“Sorry. I can’t say.”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t know you and you don’t know me. As far as I’m concerned, we don’t need to cross that line.”

“We can settle this ignorance now if you wish.”

“I’d rather not. If any of you do anything to me, I can run away. And when I do, you won’t know how to look for me.” She said as she pointed at her hair and messed around with it. Lupin eyed her, a curious feeling circling in his chest.

“Do you not think it difficult to live in a constant state of secrecy and worry?”

She scoffed. “I’ve done it so far without trouble.”

Lupin stopped and pondered. He caressed his beard and said, “Why did you attack one of my people?”

She recalled what she had done. The look of the helpless man as he cried for help. Her heart indeed sympathized with him and she almost started to regret it. But the scene suddenly changed in her mind and the man was replaced with someone else. Someone who’s gaze was much more sinister. And evil. “He pissed me off.”

“Do you attack anyone who does that to you?”

She stopped for a moment and thought to herself. Then she nodded in affirmation to his question confidently and boldly. Dall faltered, his eyes moving between Lupin and Avice.

“Hrmm.” Lupin stroked his beard again and stood. “Understand this, girl. If you are unwilling to reciprocate the respect and love we have shown you, then I will have to ask you to leave my territory. You will be left to your own devices as you so please.”

She stopped. Dall and Lupin eyed her suspiciously. After a brief moment of silence she said, “I’m not leaving.”

Lupin glared at her. “You dare defy me orders?”

She growled and bit her lip, “Listen, Lupin. I’m not risking a night out there alone. I don’t know anyone except for Dall, and I think he’s an alright guy from what I know. So I’m not leaving this room.”

Lupin’s fist shook, but an idea popped in his head. “If you really desire to stay here, I will ask you do one thing: You will accompany my son on his journey in three days’ time.”

“What?” She tilted her head.

“Father?” Dall, too, seemed confused.

Lupin leaned in and whispered in Dall’s ear.

“I apologize Dall. I have yet to inform you of what has happened. It seems our enemy is making moves. Significant ones. The District Leaders and I have come to an agreement and have decided to send in a spy and assassin to deal with a certain problem.”

Dall smiled happily, but frowned when he glanced at Avice. “Father, if I travel there with her, it would only end in chaos.”

“So be it. If she desires to stay here, she must learn respect. So we will let the Eldreds themselves become her teachers.”

Her ears perked up. The same guys who attacked me…

Dall’s eyes widened, but he regained his composure and nodded. “Understood. If I am to be the Empire’s spy, what shall I be looking for?”

“Reports state that the Union’s princess is to be wed to the eldest son. Go there to see if it is true. And if you can, son.” He put his hand on Dall’s shoulder. “Ask Veral to see if he can prevent the ceremony.”

“U-Understood Father…”

“Good. And remember Dall.” He leaned in and whispered. “Stay as far away as you can from the Thirteen…”

“It will be done.”

Lupin nodded and exited the room, his arms behind his back. Dall remained in the room, his gaze fixated on the floor and his hands clenched in front of him. “If it’s Veral… then…” He nodded his head slowly and turned to Avice. “I apologize on behalf of my father and our servant. But please.” He locked eyes with her, his gaze serious. “I know that you’re not a bad person, but it still stands that you assaulted one of our own. Even if it’s on my father’s orders let me ask you myself.” He breathed in and out slowly and said with an outstretched hand, “Please join me on my journey.”

1