Chapter 4: A Sudden Entrance
54 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She stood in the center of the room dressed in medieval-esque clothes. She gently rested her old black jeans and white tank-top atop her bed and sighed. She looked at herself in the mirror and a tiny smile spread on her face. I look… good. She twirled around in adoration of her new outfit.

Her white, short sleeved linen top complimented her dark brown pants. Before she put them on she was worried that they would be too tight, but after fitting in to them, she found them amazingly comfortable - surprisingly more-so than her modern-day clothing. She wore a black belt around her waist and a brown sling that wrapped around one of her shoulders like a sash. She tied her hair up into a ponytail and giggled to herself. She kept still for a while, staring at herself when she gasped. She grasped at a couple of contacts on the desk and placed them in her eyes. “I really gotta clean these...” She whispered, a large smile on her face. “But they’ll do.”

She exited her room and was greeted by Dall, who stood in similar attire.

He stood tall, almost a full head taller, and his short, dirty blonde hair was disheveled, almost as if he never touched it to begin with. She stared into his glistening emerald eyes and noticed that he had a mole under his right. He had black shirt and pants on and some small plates of leather strapped around his chest, arms, and legs. However, what surprised her most was the long and hefty sword sitting on his back. It’s length was a couple inches shorter than Dall’s height. It was long and thin with a large handle split for two hands to hold, its blade concise and thin.

“Oh, you’re ready. Shall we go?” He smiled.

“Okay,” She said.

She followed behind him as the two leisurely walked down a large hallway. They walked along a velvet carpet that ran all the way down the hallway. The walls to her right were lined with grandiose and large windows, and the ceiling was exceptionally high. The two of them seemed like ants compared to the size of the hallway. Furniture was sparse, and barely any servants were walking around. Avice occasionally squinted due to the bright rays of sunlight beaming in from the windows. Their footsteps seemingly echoed twice. She looked here and there, finally taking in the environment she failed to appreciate before. Like an old noble’s house from Europe… She thought to herself.

“Oh, Lily.” Dall said. Avice brought her attention forward and came face to face with a woman. “Back from the North?”

The woman in front of them wore average-looking clothes, and she herself seemed average: brown hair, brown eyes, and some freckles dotting her flushed cheeks. “Hi Da- oops. Master Dall.” She bowed gently, a smile spread across her lips.

“What’d I say? Drop the Master thing. It feels weird when you say it.” He laughed nervously.

She giggled. “Can’t do that in here. But I guess I can let loose for now. If it’s on your order, of course.” She playfully brought a finger to her lips and winked. She turned to Avice and said, “Hi, Liliana Silverbow, nice to meet you.” She held out her hand.

Avice glared at her and kept her arms tight at her sides. “Pleasure.”

Liliana turned again to Dall, who only shrugged and shook his head. “Aaanyways. Where are you offta, Dall? Dressed all adventurer-y like.” She gasped. “No way, you’re finally going to go out on a mission with Simon and the others! Ahh! Who knew the Lone Warrior would finally be able to join a party?!”

“I’m not joining one!” Dall said, shoving his hand over her mouth. “You guys... Stop calling me that.” Avice looked at him.  “Such a stupid name…”

“Well, it seems like you’re pretty busy, so I’m gonna go now. Shame, too. I just got back and now you’re leaving.” Avice recognized her smile. “Gosh, I was looking forward to getting back here to escape those pretentious assholes up there.”

“Sorry about that.” Dall said.

“See you then. Gotta get dressed up before Head Maid kicks my ass.” Liliana briskly walked past them and continued down the hall.

The two of them stood there. He glanced over to Avice, his cheeks reddened accompanied by a couple of drops of sweat. “Well, we should get going.”

“Okay.”

They continued walking for quite some time.

“The assassin’s meeting us right outside. Don’t be too afraid of him, he won’t bite. I think.” He smiled wryly.

She nodded in response, tightening her fist.

The two of them came upon the large front door that she entered on her first day here. Dall opened the heavy, creaking door and Avice shielded her eyes from the blinding light.

Clang.

Avice blinked rapidly. Dall had his sword in his hands, sweat dripping down his face and his muscles tightening, blocking something. She turned quickly to see a man with a broad grin on his face, his back facing the door.

His right hand held the dagger that was attacking Dall, and his left tried reaching for his throat before Dall backed away.

The man dashed forward, his blades dancing and twirling like a whirlwind as Dall continuously blocked them.

He was about to touch the wall behind him when he took a large swing at the man and kicked him.

“Fucking hell, dude.” Dall cursed loudly.

The man clicked his tongue and sneered. “It was worth a shot. Dammit.”

“At least wait ’till I get outside, you maniac.” Dall sighed as he rested his sword on his back.

The man shook his head. “What, act all noble like the pricks? Nah.”

Dall glanced at Avice and said, “Sorry… This is Veral… The assassin.”

Veral glanced at her and waved his hand. He was a little taller than her, and had long pitch black hair tied to the back in a ponytail. He was lean, and his face was thinner compared to Dall’s chiseled features. “’Sup.” He said.

“Assassin?” Avice’s eyes widened.

“So are we going or what? I’m itchin’ for Eldred blood.” Veral shifted.

1