Chapter 11: The Monsters of The Forest
35 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Avice, Veral, and Dall treaded carefully through the winding woods, the penetrating darkness stinging their eyes and limiting their vision. Dall kept his gaze forward, but he moved slowly and heavily, almost like gravity had increased all around him. He tightened his grasp on his Greatsword sitting against his waist. Veral moved a little ahead of the group, fists clenched, his eyes squinting to try to make out anything in front of him. Avice stood in the back, her bow at the ready - an arrow notched on the string. 

“Do you see anything?” Dall called out ahead to Veral. He moved further ahead, looking back and shaking his head begrudgingly.

“Nothing right now.”

Dall nodded and kept moving, but Avice felt a shiver run up her spine. She turned around to see piercing blue eyes glowing in the blackness. She hurriedly approached Dall and made him look back. The figure slowly stepped out, leaving the two in shock.

“Wha…?” Dall looked with horror.

“W-What the hell is that?” Avice quivered at the sight.

It seemed to be the figure of a human male, but as it came closer, they noticed its absurd appearance. Its fingers were replaced by the talons of a hawk. It had four human-like legs - two of them jutting forward form the waist, and the other two coming out of his back - positioned like a spider. Cocking its owl head to the side, its fingers curling and twisting, its legs bouncing and moving around like a horse, it inched ever closer towards them. It had blindingly white skin and had sapphire blue eyes. Avice covered her nose, as a disgustingly putrid stench came from the creature. Dall grew greener, and moved his hand to his mouth. Its shadow loomed over them, and they looked up at it with frightful eyes.

Dall yelled, “Veral! G-Get over here!”

The Beast lunged forward, its body upright, but its legs moving furiously fast, its talons twitching up and down like a machine.

Dall grabbed Avice’s arm and forced her to the side, getting out of its way. Despite missing them, it kept its body forward. The owl’s head turned all the way around and gazed at them. It moved its head side to side, up and down, and remained completely expressionless. Avice’s very core shook as she peered into its eyes. Almost on instinct, she took her bow and fired at it. The arrow lodged itself in its back, a cool liquid blue pouring out of it. “What the…?” It kept its head still, and turned its entire body around. “S-Shit!”

It dashed forward again, stretching its arms out, positioning its vicious talons to penetrate and pierce the two of them.

Dall took her arm and held it down. “What’re you doing?!” She yelled.

“I-I’ll try to keep it still. I’ll give you an opening to get at its throat.”

As it got closer, Dall stood in front of her, holding his sword.

It made contact with him, its sharp talons pushing forward and scratching at Dall, but he held his blade firm and tried defending its flurry of attacks.

The talons swiftly cut across his arms and hands, his body weakening and quivering in pain. 

If that’s how far you’re going to go… Avice thought as she gazed at his back.

She hurriedly got low and dashed towards the underside of the creature. She took her bow and aimed upward, and tried shooting when the beast kicked her with one of its legs. She still managed to fire, and instead of piercing its neck, it lodged itself in its chin.

It cried out in anguish, but kept furiously attacking.

Veral finally emerged onto the scene, holding two daggers with ropes strung on their hilts.

He swiftly threw them, lodging them in its back. It turned its head and screamed loudly at him, its body beginning to turn with it.

Dall smiled and swiped at its legs. They came clean off, leaving the beast with only two of its legs, forcing it to collapse on its front. Dall flinched and backed away, leaving him wide open to its claws.

Veral grunted as he jumped up and quickly wrapped a rope around its neck. “Dall now!” Dall nodded, took his greatsword, and swiped at its waist, tearing its top and bottom apart.

Avice and Dall breathed heavily as they watched the corpse twitch. “W-What the fuck was that?” Veral stared at its disintegrating body .

“That’s… disgusting.” Avice gasped for air.

“We need to keep moving…” Dall leaned against his sword, breathing heavily.

Avice looked at Dall’s arms and said, “Are you okay? I can help you.”

“I-It’s fine.”

“Here.” Avice moved over to Dall and tore off his sleeves. She took and wrapped his arms with them tightly. “We should at least stop the bleeding.”

“Thank you.”

Veral eyed her curiously. “Who would’a known you could do that?”

She looked down at the ground, tightened her fists, and said, “Thank you, Dall.” His eyebrows rose. “I’m… sorry for being such an asshole.” She rubbed her right arm. “But really, thanks."

Dall laughed nervously. “I-I don’t really get what you’re saying, but yeah. It’s only natural I protect others.”

“Is that so?” She said. With a smile, she said, "Well I guess I'm lucky it's only us here, then."

Dall stared at her. Huh? Something warm embraced him.  It felt like his body got hotter, and his heart stung.  He blinked and suddenly, the feeling was gone. What was that? But he disregarded it, nodded, and said, “Don’t wor - ah. Sorry," he bowed his head. "Trust me, then, Ava. I won’t let you down.”

Veral looked to the floor as he listened to them. “Let down… huh…” He mumbled to himself. Dall and Avice looked at him. “Let’s hurry and get out of here,” Veral said. “Time’s running out.”

1