Chapter 53
2k 7 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 50: “Surprise!”

 

The environment for the arena was quite perfect for a battle royale style event. Not only was it beautiful and interesting to look at, it featured a lot of areas that are perfect for different kinds of classes to showcase their skills.

All players were sent details of the environment and what if featured right after they were teleported into the area, but Ai’s attention was solely focused on the grandeur view that he was looking at. The game had teleported him on the side of a cliff looking out towards the center of the arena where he could see almost everything.

Tall, familiar and massive fantasy tower structures with some of them even disappearing into the clouds. Beneath the tall towers, there were more buildings just littered about. Ai couldn’t see the small buildings very well, he could see that the tall buildings were incredibly dilapidated, with broken outer walls and all sorts of vines and greenery growing around it. He assumed that the buildings below were just as broken down and overtaken by plants. He assumed that this was the Ruined City that he read in the details. Though it didn’t tell him which race used to occupy it.

Around the Ruined City was a forest with an array of twisty trees with multicolored leaves that very much reminded him very much of the forest he first saw around Pymule, only the ones here were wilder and overgrown.

All in all, the tall and dense forestry combined with the ruined city worked out well for Ai. If he managed to use the environment to his advantage, things might work out well. After all he was a low leveled player whose class specialized more in story related stuff rather than hardcore PvP fights, he needed all of those potential hiding spots within the forest and city.

Wait, wasn’t this spot they landed on really good? It was high above the other parts of the land, making a good reconnaissance point that allowed them to not only see the entire layout of the land, but also if one of them had the Archer class then they could easily snipe a good number of players who spawned below before they would even notice.

“It’s because of our levels.” Morion noted. “Since our average level is the lowest out of all the players, the game gave us a starting advantage.”

Before they got teleported in, they had given each other information about their levels and stats. As expected, Morion was pretty high leveled compared to Ai, but surprisingly his level wasn’t as high as Ai first thought.

Player Name: Morion

Race: Human

Class: Envoy of Darkness [Unique Class]

Level: 47

HP: 21,320

ATK: 4,150 / MAG ATK: 3400

DEF: 1,370 / MAG DEF: 1970

SPD: 301

 

Though level 47 wasn’t at all low, being only a few levels away from the level cap of 60, Ai had thought he was at least around level 50. As expected, his stats were focused more on speed and offense. Though he could dish out extremely lethal amounts of damage, Morion was pretty fragile. A few big swings from a warrior his size could take him down if he wasn’t so fast and speedy on his toes. 

Still though, his stats looked incredibly godly when it was compared to Ai’s measly level 27 stats.

 

Player Name: Ai

Race: Elf

Class: Mediator

Level: 27

HP: 11,150

ATK: 200 / MAG ATK: 260

DEF: 920 / MAG DEF: 920

SPD: 250

 

Truly abysmal. If a few swings could take out Morion, it would take a little nudge for it to kill Ai off. Not to mention, his stats were also the result of Athen’s extra boost. Without his familiar, he’d imagine his stats would look even worse and more pathetic.

“Ai, let’s go over everything before we go down.”

The two of them had come up with two different strategies depending on what kind of terrain the game gave to them. Be it a wide open area or bumpy and dense forestry terrain, they were ready.

For the forestry terrain, they would need to take advantage of the tall trees and the small nooks and crannies that they could use either to corner an enemy or hide from them. Morion would go full on offense while Ai would provide backup, with Athens acting as a sub DPS.

Truthfully, they felt kind of grateful that the game gave them this kind of environment. They would be less exposed to players who wanted to take out the weakest player in the arena and there were plenty of covers where they could unleash a multitude of sneak attacks. Plus it also made it easier to run away and lose their enemies.

To win, they had to take out approximately seven teams, or fourteen players. Ai had thought that all the players would be put into the same arena, but it seems like the players were grouped then put in different instances of the same environment, meaning that there would be more than just one pair of winners.

Within those fourteen players that they needed to defeat, there was one particular player that both Morion and Ai agreed that they needed to defeat last. 

Elain was the highest leveled player out of everyone collectively and was known to be an extremely strong warrior class player who had multiple unique abilities and a unique weapon. The goal now was to wait until the number of players dwindled and for Elain to reduce their current resources like MP and items. It would still be a tough battle but they would have a chance.

First things first, they needed to head to the city. The forest was an option, but it was easy to lose your sense of your direction there, so the city was the better option because of its not too narrow space and easily recognizable landmarks.

 

***

 

The more Ai walked in the forest, the more he thought back to the forest he first saw near Pymule.

The multicolored leaves of the tall trees and how the sunlight filtered through them truly made him miss the cozy village. If he just forgot about the event for a quick second, it even felt as if he was walking through the pathway towards Pymule.

He thought for a minute. The trees, and the familiar structures, could the Ruined City be an elven city perhaps? It was a possibility, and maybe even something he could take advantage of, though he wasn’t sure how.

So far though, they hadn’t run into any players which both made Ai anxious and relieved. Strategizing and talking about it was one thing, actually partaking in it was another.

Suddenly, Morion stopped in his tracks and made a gesture that said to be quiet. He pointed at the ground beneath his feet. At first, Ai wasn’t too sure of what he was pointing at, but soon he sensed it as well. There was magic laid across the forest floor. He couldn’t tell what magic it was, but it emanated a very low energy that would make it hard to detect.

“It’s a trap circle.” Morion tsked. “We can’t step on any of it.”

“If it’s just gonna debuff us, then I can just -”

Morion shook his head. “Or it will deal huge amounts of damage. Neither of us can take the risk.”

Just then, Ai felt that familiar warmth coming from the lantern. The last time it acted up was at the previous village where it showed traces of the magic left in the village. Ai lifted the lantern and let it glow to its content. Before long, his eyes adjusted and he saw the circle that Morion talked about.

It was a good thing that neither of them recklessly stepped in it. The design of the circle was terribly intricate with little room to move in. Though the lantern didn’t tell him what the circle did, one wrong step and they would’ve been in big trouble. The size of the circle was also quite considerable.

“Can you see it?”

Ai nodded. “Let’s walk around it to be safe.”

To make extra sure that Morion’s wouldn’t accidentally step on the circle, Ai took his hand and pulled him along. The bigger hand felt incredibly warm in his, despite being just a bunch of pixels. Once they were some distance away from the trap, he finally let go of the hand.

Morion cleared his throat and thanked him, his voice sounding rougher than usual. Ai tilted his head slightly in confusion, but before he could ask what was wrong, he was stopped by a loud voice ringing through the area.

“Damn, another mediator. Just my luck that someone who can actually avoid my circle appears.” The voice sounded exasperated but also tinged with amusement. “Fairy dust ain’t cheap stuff, ya know!”

The two players didn’t take an immediate stance, but their whole body tensed as they looked around in search of the source of the voice.

“Over here!” 

A shadow leaped down from one of the lower tree branches and landed right in front of them. The figure was female with thin blue eyes, short bright red hair tied into a small knot and two horns sticking out from the top of her head. The book hanging from the player’s waist gave the indication that she was a mage, but the lantern was hanging on the other side of her waist…

Ai prepared to cast his [Knowledge of a Third Party] skill to see the other player’s status, but before he could, the other player raised her hand.

“No need to look into my stats.” She grinned playfully. “LadyMaia, Mediator Class. Pleased to meet you!”

52