9
1.2k 4 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So your mom got pizza for us?" Rykker asked as they drove home, after their game.

"Yeah," Fern said.

Their first long, awkward silence occured. It lasted a good few minutes of driving. Fern wished that the store had been closer to his house and he could rationalize not wanting to have this conversation, because of less time to talk.

Rykker did not say anything, still, after many minutes.

"I guess... we should talk about this then," Fern sighed.

"You... you do feel... that you like me?" Rykker reaffirmed.

"Yes."

"And I... I like you."

Fern exhaled.

"Then...," Rykker said. "I guess... where this goes... is the way it would go for most people."

"You mean... going on a date, or something?"

Rykker shrugged. "Yeah. It's all up to you."

"But... i know you," Fern said. "We're... we're best friends."

It wasn't the kind of thing they said a lot. They knew they were best friends, but it was weird to hear it laid out.

"Dating....," Felix thought out loud, "it's... it's what you do to get to know someone."

"Yeah," Rykker said, "but... but I think it's also to learn if you like that person."

Fern didn't say the thought that was in his mind - he didn't need to learn that.

Holy shoot.

He was more firm in this than he thought.

"I guess you also feel like things are more complicated," Rykker said, "because of... what you're going through."

Fern slowly exhaled. "Yeah."

"I'm... I'm not trying to push you in any sort of direction," he said, "but... why do you feel... that this... I dunno how to phrase it."

"I like wearing these clothes," Fern said. "I... I feel... like I really like wearing them."

"Would you wear girl's clothes if no one noticed?" Rykker asked.

"Yes," Fern immediately answered, "I would."

There was silence between them for a moment.

"Then do it," Rykker said. "If you want to become Fern, I'll welcome the new you with open arms."

Fern smiled, and felt that smile grow. He took his hand, and reached for Rykker's, and he took it.

Feeling Rykker's hand in his, he felt the bond between them grow stronger. It was not just a faint, platonic connection. He liked Rykker. He decided then and there that he wanted to strengthen it.

61