Chapter 18 – A Turn Towards Chaos
406 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Peter attended an event, promoting his products from Parker Industries. 

It had slowly became known, even to Aunt May and her husband Jameson Sr, that there were issues in Peter and MJ's relationship. 

Mary Jane had attended the event with Tony and Peter had to find another date. 

The other Avengers like Natasha, Jessica Drew, or Felicia volunteered to go with him, but Mary Jane banned them from doing so, fearing that they might influence him too much and might pair up with him. 

It was unfair of her, but she insisted on them not being selected. 

Kamala Khan and Kate Bishop wanted to go as his date as well, but they were too young and it might spread rumors. 

At the end, Bobbi Morse aka Mockingbird volunteered to accompany him, as his escort and bodyguard, which MJ approved since they've never been lovers. 

Their relationship was strictly platonic and she was the official liaison between SHIELD and Parker Industries

Peter was dressed in a tuxedo, while Bobbi wore a sleek black dress, which had a slit on one side revealing her legs, and a low cut which barely covered her breasts. 

Peter walked around, looking at the very products he/Otto invented. 

They were all prosthetic limbs, the very most advanced ones in the world. 

"I wonder how this would stack up against Bucky's" Bobbi asked 

"Bucky? You mean the Winter Soldier?" Peter asked

"Yeah, you know James" Bobbi said

"Oh.. not personally. Well, his technology is decades old. I suppose Tony might have upgraded it. But I stand that my prosthetics are superior. If I make one made of Adamantium like Doc Ock did with his tentacles, I'm sure it would be way superior" Peter said proudly. 

It was then that he suddenly received a call from Anna Maria. 

"Hello? Anna? What's up... what?" Peter asked as he received some shocking news. 

Apparently, the board of Empire State University discovered that Peter's PhD thesis was plagiarized from Dr Otto Octavius' own thesis from decades ago, when Otto himself was a student there. 

Peter stood still for a while as he tried to access his memories. 

He had both sets of memories, both as Peter Parker and Otto Octavius, and as his personality had been wiped out, he didn't have any emotional attachments to either one set of memories. 

Indeed, Otto used his own thesis while occupying Peter's body, and now he had been found out. 

"Sorry Bobbi, an emergency has cropped up. I gotta go.." he said, ducking out of his own event. 

"Do you need any help. I have my costume underneath this dress" Bobbi said

"No... It's not a costume matter. It's a personal matter" Peter said as he rushed off. 

"Peter.." Bobbi said, but Peter was already gone. 

"Where did Peter go to?" Mary Jane asked, hand in hand with Tony Stark

"I don't know. He said something had cropped up.. a personal matter" Bobbi said

"Personal? Why don't I know anything about it?" Mary Jane asked

"Let's leave Peter to settle his own issues MJ. He's improved so much, I am sure he is capable of handling it" Tony said

Mary Jane nodded, but she couldn't help feel worried about it.

--

The following few days, Peter was embroiled in the disciplinary tribunal of the Empire State University, threatening to strip him of his PhD and all his accolades. 

Simultaneously, Parker Industries was being sued from an unknown group claiming to be the estate of Otto Octavius. 

On top of that, he was getting complaints from his major clients about defects in his technology. 

Academically, Peter was having difficulty proving his innocence as he DID get his PhD using Doc Ock's thesis, only that Doc Ock was inhibiting his body and technically using his own thesis to get the PhD.

Of course, this was not a defense he could use!

Finally, it was Dr Curt Connors, aka the Lizard who defended Peter, stating that Peter was no doubt a genius, he was formally Otto's and his student in his younger years, and no doubt wrote his thesis based on knowledge learned from them.

After all, Peter's thesis was not an exact copy of Octavius' rather an improvement and update on Octavius' old thesis. Octavius never submitted that thesis for his own PhD decades ago, because at that time it was mere theory, while Peter's thesis was the actualization of the idea but brought to reality!

Thus, ultimately Peter's thesis was not technically plagiarizing, but it was a borderline case as the members of the disciplinary committee couldn't tell the difference. Thus, Peter managed to reach a compromise with the board. 

The board would not strip Peter of his PhD, but he had to complete another PhD to prove his intelligence, whether or not in the same field, it won't matter, so that he could still call himself Dr Parker (with 2 PhD's)

It was a win-win compromise that allowed Peter to "get away" with the borderline plagiarism yet legitimize his PhD in another way. 

The compromise would entail Peter writing another thesis under the guidance of Dr Connors himself, to get his second PhD. 

--

With his academic issues settled for the time being, Peter decided to put his mind into investigating the attacks on Parker Industries, not only the legal challenges but also the sabotages that seemed to be happening to his products recently. 

He had already ensured that Norman Osborn was no longer manipulating his spider bots and his tech was no longer affecting his, but there was still something off that he just couldn't place. 

Bobbi had been coming over with several complaints from SHIELD regarding his technology and Peter was busy investigating the parts that were sent back.

"So how is it?" Bobbi asked

"It... it is my technology, without tampering. But it looks to me like it's been hacked. There should be no one who knows my security protocols but me and..." Peter suddenly looked up at her and got up

"What is it? You think it was me?" Bobbi asked

"Of course not.... Otto!" Peter said as he rushed off

"Otto? Peter!" Bobbi ran after him. 

 

3