138. Brazen Request
4k 10 120
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hey guys! SORRY for the long delay. But there was a bunch of stuff going on! I said two more chapters for this arc, but they ended up being much longer than I planned. I thought about splitting them up, but figured that would suck.

So this and the next one will be chapters much longer than usual. As always, please enjoy!

 

"Ngh...ahhhh! Ugh, morning already?"

Rei was back home, rising from a long sleep. His team arrived in Kumogakure yesterday, Mabui and Sabu spared them the trouble of reporting to the Raikage, ordering the weary Genin to go home and rest

There were no complaints on their end after the events  on "Summoning Island". The trio felt as if they had just returned from a warzone, they hadn't experienced a mission of such caliber in years

CLINK!

"Morning"

"Ah, morning nee-san"

Rei woke up to the smell of freshly made breakfast, Mabui had prepared everything for him. With no hesitation, he sat down and started eating without a care in the world

"Since you're here, can I assume you have time off?" (Rei)

"A little, but I have to get back soon. Once you've finished eating, we'll go meet the others" (Mabui)

"Guess I better finish this quickly" (Rei)

Normally, Mabui would have left over an hour ago, resuming her duties as the Raikage's personal attendant. But the latter granted her time off, as she promised to help with Team Tango's training

Finishing breakfast, Rei got dressed and left with her. Arriving just outside the village's walls, at a training grounds Mabui prepared in advance. Much to his surprise, it wasn't just his team present, but a pair of shinobi he'd met before

"HEY! Good to see you Rei"

"Darui and...C? What are you guys doing here?" (Rei)

"Mabui-senpai called for us, we're to help with your training" (C)

"You guys aren't the only ones with a lot of leeway these days" (Darui)

Rei was surprised, though he knew Genin of the village were getting less work, he hadn't expected top Jonin like the ones before him would also be suffering from the lack of jobs the village received

{Poor times affect us all} "I see, sorry to hear that" (Rei)

"Ah, no worries. If things go smoothly, we may not have to worry about it in the near future" (Darui)

"What do you mean?" (Tai)

"Oh, just a little something we got planned soon-" (Darui)

"Darui!" (Tango)

"?" (The Genin)

"Oh, my bad. Sorry guys, it's on the hush hush" (Darui)

"Whatever, let's move on! We're on borrowed time anyway" (Mabui)

"Despite being my students, it's shame I can't spend as much time with them compared to the past" (Tango)

Tango hadn't been around lately to participate in missions with his students due to certain obligations for the "Network" project. His schedule only grew more hectic with Mori Sp. speeding things along

"Alright, since final member isn't here yet, we'll save Rei for last. Sorry" (Tango)

"By all means, I'm curious for what have in store for my teammates" (Rei)

"Okay then, we'll be doing this the same as our time with Killer B-sama. In other words-" (Tango)

"We train under others while you periodically test us with live combat, right?" (Suzu)

"Yes, but this time, each of you will have an individual trainer. Tai, you're up first" (Tango)

"Who am I paired wit-?" (Tai)

Darui placed his hand on Tai's shoulder, answering the question before he could ask. Mabui had personally brought Darui in for the sake of helping him

"Tai, your ninjutsu is fine. In fact it's a clever, if not downright brilliant application of utilizing physical material for long-range attacks. Perfect for a Medical-nin" (Mabui)

"But...?" (Tai)

"Your Taijutsu still needs work, or to be more precise, you're physical traits. Are you guys wearing them?" (Mabui)

The genin raised their hands simultaneously, revealing the equipped training bracelets on their hands and feet Tango gave them some time ago. The very same that glowed and increased in weight with each level gained

Rei's bracelets were fully lit up, with all six levels shining through the small red bulbs on them. Suzu had five, but Tai's weren't glowing at all for some unknown reason

"Along with an increase in weight, those bracelets purposely disturb chakra to teach the wearer better control" (Tango)

"The chakra control you possess is nearly on par with Rei's, there's no way you haven't unlocked all six levels. Which means the reason you're not using them is because..." (Mabui)

"They get too heavy, to the point I can barely move. At best, I can handle the weight of level four, five on a good day, but there's no way I can handle six" (Tai)

"A medical-nin must always be the last member of their squad to get hurt. If no one can protect you, it's up to you to avoid enemy attacks" (C)

"Even with protection from Suzu, Metoro Konjiki kicked my ass. It took everything I had just to dodge his strikes, and it still wasn't enough" (Tai)

PAT! PAT!

Darui chuckled as he encouraged Tai, patting him on the shoulder with a grin on his face

"That's what we're here to fix. I've trained under 3rd Raikage, physical preparation is what I excel at" (Darui)

"Moving on, Suzu. Compared to Genin in the same generation, your physical prowess is excellent, second only to Rei, and maybe Nemui. Chakra control is excellent, but there's still room for improvement. Do you disagree?" (Mabui)

"...No. After all it took to take down Metoro, there's much I need to fix" (Suzu)

"C will be helping you on that front. Being one of our best Medical-nin and Genjutsu users, he's got a few tricks to spare" (Mabui)

"All due respect, shouldn't he be helping Rei? Considering they're both Genjutsu users?" (Suzu)

"I've already instructed Rei on the intricacies of Genjutsu. I was the one who taught him how to properly sense chakra years ago, he has nothing left to learn from me. Besides..." (C)

"You'll be rotating!"

"?!" (Everyone)

TAK!

Appearing on the scene was Dodai, late to the gathering, largely in part to his duties

"We're swapping teachers Dodai-ossan?" (Rei)

"Enough with ossan damn it. Yes. You guys, along with other Genin teams, will undergo a period of strict training with various instructors" (Dodai)

"So it's not just us getting special treatment" (Tai)

"Correct. Due to the lack of missions, Raikage-sama wants to ensure the skill of Kumogakure's next generation ninja stay sharp" (Dodai)

"Well, that's one of the reasons he's doing this" (Darui)

"Darui!" (C)

"I know, I know" (Darui)

"You'll be meeting with your instructors bi-weekly, we still have our own duties after all. The Jonin captain, in this case Tango, will check on your progress regularly. A physical assessment test, in the manner of speaking" (Dodai)

"It's like I'm back at the academy, yay..." (Tai)

"Once its complete, the captain will decide what does and doesn't need to be fixed, before informing the other instructors so they can properly adjust your training to suit your special needs" (Dodai)

Never one to waste time, Dodai took charge, sending the others on their way. Tai departed with Darui, Suzu with C, while Mabui and Tango left to resume their other duties. The only ones remaining were Rei and Dodai

"What are my issues?" (Rei)

"None. You're perfect, to an abnormal degree" (Dodai)

"Flattery will get you nowhere" (Rei)

"You started off as a Genjutsu user with skill in Taijutsu. Now unmatched by most your age in both subjects. Your applications with nature transformations grew to incredible lengths in a short span of time, now wielding three of them" (Dodai)

"To be fair, two of those are the result of my Kekkei Genkai1Bloodline Limit" {Amongst other things...} (Rei)

"Incorrect, the relationship between them is synergetic. In order to awaken any elemental Kekkei Genkai, one must possess significant skill in the very elements combined to make it. You wouldn't have been able to use Yōton2Lava Styleif you weren't well versed with Doton3Earth Styleand Katon4Fire Style" (Dodai)

"Guess you can say that" (Rei)

"Not to mention, you've learned Suiton5Water Styleall on your own. Three elements, at the age of ten!" (Dodai)

"Well, I'll be eleven years in a few months. More importantly, why did nee-san choose you to train me?" (Rei)

"Let me show you" (Dodai)

SPEW!

Dodai released his Ninjutsu, spitting out a strange substance from his mouth. It didn't take long to realize what this meant, why he was chosen to instruct him

"Rubber..." {That's right, Dodai's a Yōton user like me, he helps Naruto way later in the story} (Rei)

"I'm here to help you master your Kekkei Genkai. Let's get started" {I've got a job to do after all...} (Dodai)

 

♦♦♦

 

The previous evening

It was near midnight

Within the Raikage's office, A was hosting a meeting with several of his compatriots. Several familiar faces were present, members of his so-called "inner circle", meeting in secret once more

Even the Lightning Daimyō and his right-hand man Tekkan were present

"Tenga, Tetsuo-dono, what's our status?" (A)

"Final tests have provided positive results. On its own, it works like a charm, but we've yet to attempt a fully scoped network" (Tenga)

"I'd prefer we at least try to gain a working transmission over the entire village, with multiple points, before declaring it a success" (Tetsuo)

"How long will that take?" (A)

"Considering the number of units we'll need, not to mention moving everything in secret...just over a year at least" (Tetsuo)

"That's quite some time but...it's still within our timetable" (A)

"You'll barely have time before the exams. I don't need to stress how important they are...this one especially" (Daimyō)

Ever since the "Hyuga Affair", the village has struggled. The Chunin Exams presented an opportunity for every village to advertise what it had to offer. If Kumogakure performed well, they could erase the foul mark branded upon them by the late head ninja's actions

But A also needed the Network project done, he'd invested so much into it already. Even if they performed well at the exams, the village would have a difficult time recovering if it remained unfinished

The Cloud has always boasted having the best economy out of the Five Great Shinobi Nations, but after several years, even the wealthiest were starting to feel negative effects

"It's not ideal, but we don't have a choice" (A)

"I'll have my end work overtime" (Tetsuo)

"Much appreciated" (A)

No one was sure what state the village would be in when the exams begin in fifteen months from now

"...I've been meaning to discuss the Genin" (Daimyō)

"I've already compiled a list of candidates" (A)

"About that, I've got some bad news from my meeting with the other Daimyō's. Iwagakure has subtly requested we only send one team to their exams" (Daimyō)

The whole room nearly burst in uproar, angered at Iwagakure's arrogant and brazen request

"Just because they were the ones selected to host the event doesn't mean they can-!" (Dodai)

"They are the host, that's a fact. If we refuse, we don't participate. The hard truth is, no one will have any complaints if it comes to that" (Daimyō)

"Tsk!" (C)

"Was this official?" (Mabui)

"No, an unofficial, but VERY blunt request" (Daimyō)

Many in the room were still upset, sensing this, Tekkan interjected. Speaking of the exam in detail, being the first collaborated one since the last war, it would be stupendous. Easily shaping up to be the biggest Chunin Exams in shinobi history

Not just the Great Nations, but shinobi from nearly every village on the continent would participate. Sending their best ninja, ones with hidden jutsu and Kekkei Genkai from all corners, Iwagakure would become a temporary cornucopia of rare talents and hereditary gifts

A wave of business owners, merchants, politicians, and others with a hefty amount of wealth and power wouldn't miss it. Anyone who was anyone would be there. Even Tetsuo planned on going

As the host of such an event, Iwagakure couldn't afford any accidents. With Kumogakure's soiled reputation for stealing Jutsu, they couldn't afford to take any chances...but that's only how it appeared on the surface

In truth, they didn't care, but saw an opportunity. Using this as a precedent to weaken the competition. It wasn't just the cloud, every village was eager to attract attention from the wealthy and powerful

No other village would stick up for them, as they shared the same views, everyone was rival. And though it was incredibly brazen, if not outright disrespectful, there was nothing the Daimyō could do

"We comply, or we don't participate. It's their home turf, and they can close the doors on us if they want to. Hell, if the 3rd Tsuchikage6Earth Shadowhad his way, he'd probably ban us entirely" (Daimyō)

"...This is wrong" (C)

"Preachin' to choir on that one" (Darui)

"Enough, there's nothing we can do. It only means we have to be extra careful when it comes to our selection, and preparation" (A)

"You're awfully calm about this...at the very least, I expected you to snap your desk in half" (Daimyō)

"Don't tempt me, I'm doing my best to stay calm" (A)

"Sir, I recommend my squad to participate in the exams" (Tango)

"Those kids huh..." (A)

A had several files on his desk, profiles of every Genin squad in the village, before pulling out the one on Team Tango

"Several top candidates of our Gifted Generation. The majority of them are standard but, they've been on quite a few unorthodox missions with satisfying results..." (A)

"They're not the only ones. F's team has proved themselves in the past year, there's also the squad with that special Nemui kid, they're no worse than Team Tango" (Dodai)

"..." (Tango)

"I've heard of other exceptional ones as well, like that nephew of the late Head Ninja in fact" (Daimyō)

"Seriously? You want a relative of the guy who put you in this situation to participate?" (Tetsuo)

"I'm just laying out options, I've heard his ability is sound, and that's the only thing we need to care about" (Daimyō)

"I won't make a decision now, there's much I need to examine, that we need to examine" (A)

"In that case, I have a solution" (Mabui)

"Do tell" (A)

"Why don't we place every active Genin squad under the same training regime Team Tango underwent at Unraikyō7Valley of Clouds and Lightningwith Killer B-sama and C" (Mabui)

"Unraikyō...oh! I get it" (C)

"Rotating instructors while the Jonin captain assesses their ability after each session" (A)

"Since we don't receive many missions as before, they'll have plenty of free time. We can operate in various shifts, look after different squads, and the Jonin captains will report to both us and yourself on their ability" (Mabui)

"Making it easier for enacting a proper selection, that's perfect" (Tekkan)

"Really? Is that necessary when the choice is so obvious?" (Tetsuo)

"That's not the point Tetsuo-dono" (Mabui)

"?" (Tetsuo)

"Even if it's obvious, even if the best choice inevitably ends up going, I will maintain neutrality. As Raikage, I cannot be biased towards one for their relations, nor show favor to those I'm familiar with. I'll have the process go on for about a year before making my choice" (A)

"Just in time for the completion of the Network, smart...and fair" (Daimyō)

"That's the idea, gives us leeway to focus on other matters, and every Genin gets a chance to prove themselves" (Mabui)

"The selection is something we'll discuss later, let's focus on the present. There's still much we nee-!" (A)

CLINK!

The office door abruptly opened, and a lone shinobi entered the room. It was Toroi, back from escorting the prisoners captured on Summoning Island to Kusagakure's8Hidden Grass VillageBlood Prison

"Oh! Toroi-dono, you're back so soon. I expected you here tomorrow" (Daimyō)

"It is tomorrow, you've extended the meeting well past midnight. Thanks to the new engine on Hikaru's ship, my colleagues and I were able to return in record time. Thanks Tetsuo-dono" (Toroi)

"My pleasure, Mori Sp. is in service to this village after all" (Tetsuo) 

"I'd like to thank you again for your work on our most recent problem. I hate the fact our village's history caused so much trouble for you" (A)

"Technically, those giant arachnids aren't apart of our history. Considering their conception occurred before Kumogakure was even a concept. Just a ragtag group of different clans, many now gone" (Dodai)

"Is that right, I was always curious as to who exactly made them" (Toroi)

"Some old scientist from the country, he supposedly left after his first daughter was born" (Dodai)

"Oh yeah, I've heard about that story. People called him something...the Teacher? No, that's not it--Wiseman, Hermit?" (Daimyō) 

"That's a chat for another day. Toroi, what news do you have for us?" (A)

"Right, on my way back, I took the opportunity to determine the situation in Takigakure9Hidden Waterfall Village. The fact they didn't even bother to check out the situation on the island continued to nag at me" (Toroi)

"They do co-own it as part of our deal, I was wondering why they never showed up" (Darui)

"Did they sell us out?" (Darui)

"No, they've haven't betrayed the deal, nor us. There was...an event in their village. An incursion of unknown assailants" (Toroi)

A pratically jumped from his desk, shocked to learn there was someone bold enough to attack a village with a Tailed Beast in its possession. Everyone else was no better, contemplating what this meant.

"This attack took place several hours prior to our arrival on the island" (Toroi)

"What of the village?!" (Dodai)

"The village is still standing from what I've heard. I couldn't actually visit since all checkpoints leading to them were blocked" (Toroi)

"Were they Fuma? Or Chinoike?" (Darui)

"Darui..." (C)

"What? We're all thinking it" (Darui)

"Sigh. No, this group had no name, no clan symbol, and left no trace. But I don't think their objective was to bring the village down" (Toroi)

"Considering the time it took place, it stands to reason they're working with whoever sent the mercs to attack our island" (Mabui)

"To keep them from aiding us, makes sense. But that wasn't their only reason for the island attack, I have some bad news sir" (Toroi)

"!" (Dodai)

"Give it to me straight" (A)

"It's about their leader Hisen..." (Toroi)

"Toroi?" (A)

"...He's been assassinated" (Toroi)

 

♦♦♦

 

Present time

After a draining session with Dodai, Rei returned home to catch his breath before departing to his secret lab. The former run-down facility had improved overtime from cleaning on his part. The new equipment he bought with money from Tetsuo didn't hurt as well

Among the new appliances were several large test tubes, many of which were as tall as house. All hooked up to machines, with strange-colored, bubbling liquids inside of them

"Looks like it'll be a while before they're fully grown"

[The small ones will probably be done sooner]

"!" 

[What, surprised to see me?]

"...No. And I cant see you in the first place" 

[Nice job getting the samples when no one was looking]

"So you were watching..."

[Always]

Before Rei departed Summoning Island, he'd sent a Shadow Clone in secret to acquire several samples from the animals on the island, including DNA leftover from the scorpions Mabui drove away

Witnessing the sheer power of the creatures living there sparked a desire within him. Rei deeply wanted that power for himself

[I never imagined you were gonna make your own...what are these things?]

"Snakes...albeit genetically enhanced. I've finally been able to replicate some of Isshiki's tech. Specifically, the machines used to modify myself, thanks to resources from Tetsuo. However, it'll be sometime before they're actually useful"

[I thought you were just gonna kidnap an animal or two]

"After seeing how rowdy, disobedient, and mouthy they can be on both the island and Manga, it was best I have one that adheres to my will alone. I don't need my summons to talk back, I need them to do as I say"

[Fair enough]

"And speaking of doing as I say-"

[Ooooh, right. Ya know, I expected you to be angry with me]

"Still am...but you can't talk with someone if you're yelling at them. And after what transpired yesterday, I reeaaaally wanna talk to you"

[Haaah. Figured as much]

"What happened? What was that change in behavior, your words, tone--hell, even your f**king voice was different. Time to come clean Notitia"

 

 

 

 

 

 

[I'll share as much as I can...if wE can]

 

120