245. Horse Race
1k 6 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
HEY ALL! It's DOUBLE CHAPTER DAY! My physical therapy has been coming along nicely as of late. Still not to 100% but... challenges aren't meant to be easy! I'm hanging in there, so here's my thank you for your constant support! Please enjoy the chapter!

 

"BEGIN!"

Due to the need of ending the preliminary matches quickly, Kitsuchi wasted no time in calling the next batch of candidates to fight. Only seconds had passed before the once quiet battle platform became noisy with conflict once more.

But in the seating stands, comrades of last round's winner were focused on other matters...

"Hey Ronri... where exactly did they send Tai-kun?"

"Gimme a sec... ah! Got it. There's a section for finalists stationed just above stands, but one floor below the Gokage1Five Shadows and VIP's."

After losing sight of Tai, Darui grew somewhat concerned with his status. Fortunately, Ronri's "eyes" were everywhere to provide some transparency. 

"Those lizards of yours are indeed useful."

"Thanks. Let's just hope Iwagakure doesn't try anything else. Besides Raikage-sama, having anything bad happen to those three would be a hefty loss for our village."

"Hey, enough of that. Let's focus on this next match."

"Right... Sorry."

Not wanting Karui or Omoi to overhear and grow concerned for the Genin, Mariko requested the men cease such talk for the moment. While neither Suzu, nor Rei were chosen this round, it didn't hurt to gather intel on their opponents.

Once the preliminaries were over, finalist would then be allowed visitors. Giving Team Tango another form of support for challenges awaiting them further on.

 

♦♦♦

 

"Hohoho! What an entertaining bout!"

"The Cloud gains the first victory... interesting. I wonder who'll be next?"

"Worrying about your bets?"

"Hardly. Only the finals matter to everyone here. These preliminary rounds are merely a prequel to the main event."

Unlike the crowds, who were bursting with excitement, the influential patrons within the VIP section held a modest reaction to the previous round. Hardly reacting to the next, which had already started.

{Could they be anymore stuck up?}

"Sorry Mabui. Because of me, you have to stay here."

"It's quite alright, Mori-dono. I'm not bothered by them at all. In my line of work, I've learned people like THAT are everywhere. An inevitable result of being surrounded by wealth, comfort... and power."

"O-Oh... alright then"

Tetsuo, Shō, and Mabui were some of the few who truly appreciated the many endeavors of these Genin. All risking their lives for the sake of their countries today. But the longer they remained, the more annoyed they became at the behavior of the gaudy crowd around them.

Unfortunately, the Land of Lightning and its people needed not only Team Tango to be successful today, but Mori Sp. as well...

"If anything, I'm happy for Tai's victory. The first win goes us, that's a very good sign." 

"Indeed. The sooner they win, the sooner the farce in this room will be over."

"Tohru-dono! I—!"

"Kukuku... it's alright. There are far more people than you think who feel the same."

Cutting in once more was none other than the man called Tohru, the sole patron who'd bothered to approach them thus far.

Mabui was consistently thrown off at how insightful this person was, seemingly carrying the aura of an experienced shinobi... rather than a wealthy patron.

Focusing on her job of protecting Tetsuo, she hadn't taken her eyes off him, who for whatever reason... desired to build a relationship with her Tetsuo and her nation. 

"Best to focus on the match. Ah, look down there, can tell me who's going to win?"

"U-Um... the match only started a few minutes ago. How could she tell?" Tetsuo wondered in confusion.

"It's the young teenager from the Sand village." Mabui answered with absolute certainty.

"Eh?! Mabui-san... how can you—?"

BAM! BAM!

Just as Tetsuo was keen to question his compatriot, the "stone fireworks" had erupted in the air once more. Signaling the end of the match.

 

And just as Mabui predicted...

 

♦♦♦

 

"THE WINNER FOR THE SECOND PRELIMINARY ROUND IS... YŪRA!"

⌈It's amazing how powerful that guy's lungs are.⌋

⌈Who cares about the referee, I'm more concerned about that guy from Sunagakure2Hidden Sand Village. Tango-sensei... any thoughts? No pun intended⌋

Suzu and Tango stared at the winner of the round, before looking at each other with concern.

⌈While he doesn't possess any unique abilities, that teenager moves like an experienced veteran. Every blow he dealt was lethal, and he issued them out to a frighteningly accurate degree.⌋

⌈He fights like an assassin...⌋

After getting once last look at the departing victor, Rei merely scoffed and sat back down. As Tango was about to admonish him for his obvious lack of concern, the young man shared his thoughts.

⌈He's nothing you have to worry about. Simply never let your guard down, and you or Tai will do just fine. Sensei, you worry too much.⌋

⌈Rei... you mustn't brush off—?!⌋

Stopping Tango mid-sentence, Rei pointed towards one of the twelve Genin heading towards the stage. Noting he felt a familiar chakra that warranted their concern.

⌈Some real fighters are coming up now. One in particular... we know quite well.⌋

⌈What? Eh?! That's—?!⌋

 

As the next batch of participants arrived on stage, one Genin had caught Suzu's attention... and ire.

 

♦♦♦

 

"BEGIN!"

The next batch held a majority number of eight hailing from Konohagakure3Hidden Leaf Village. The others were from smaller villages, with the exception of one, who hailed from none other than...

"Alright, let's get this show moving!"

"Hey... what's that guy doing—?!"

BURRRR!!!

...Ishigakure4Hidden Rock Village

Scorching flames that appeared to be "melting" gathered around the young man as he unleashed blasts in the form of rings at his opponents!

"Careful, he's dangerous! Keep your distance and stick to long range only!"

"Hey, don't order me around! I don't listen to you Konoha-nin!"

"You'll have a better chance of surviving a winning if you do... right?!"

SCORCH!

More of the liquid flames burst from the boy's hands!

"Strategy or not, teamwork or not, nothing you do... IT WON'T MATTER!"

"Uh?!"

The rings of flame melted through their weapons and clothing, as several of the Genin were burned to a dangerous degree!

"AGH!! HOT! HOT!"

"Get off the stage! You'll die if you don't!"

Merely touching the rings would set one ablaze!

"Damn it, I'm putting a stop this now!" {Suiton: Teppōdama5Water Style: Gunshot!}

One of the Genin from Konoha sent forth large bullets of water at Ishi-nin, only for the latter to fold his arms and smile with clear ridicule. The rings around him gathered, instantly evaporating the attacks for everyone to see.

"W-Wha... but Suiton should be able to..."

"Suiton of that level is worthless against me, pissant!" 

The arrogant ninja continued his assault, never having to move from his position. The Genin were constantly toyed with for his amusement, as Lava user laughed in glee for his making a mockery out of them for all to see.

"Hehehe, come on! At least try to make it interesting!"

"Kuh! That jerk!"

Though incredibly vexing, they were unable to anything but dodge with their lives on the line. For whenever they attacked, the rings would act in defense of the ninja from Ishigakure.

Melting away their weapons, and Ninjutsu...

 

"Let's see if I can end this match faster than that little punk from Kumogakure..."

 

♦♦♦

 

⌈Etoro Konjiki...⌋

Suzu glared at her team's bitter old enemy, while Tango maintained an inquisitive outlook at the brash, arrogant Genin.

⌈So that's him... I've never seen his face before.⌋

⌈It's not one we'd ever forget, sensei.⌋

⌈Right. Um, Rei... was he like that before?⌋

⌈You mean brash, explosive, and downright idiotic?⌋

⌈No—well, he is but... I meant his strength. After working Dodai, I've grown quite familiar with the versatile forms of Yōton6Lava Style, but I've never seen a version like that.⌋

Kekkei Genkai7Bloodline Limit were rare enough as is, but Lava Style was one of the few utilized by various shinobi nations, all of whom possessed different forms of the technique.

Even Kumogakure had a shinobi experienced with this power, the late 3rd Raikage's right hand man, Dodai. 

⌈Yeah, his is indeed unique, in fact... it's the complete opposite of Dodai-ossan.⌋

⌈He's repeatedly asked you don't refer to him in such a manner. Regardless, in what way?⌋

⌈He told once that Yōton's form is dependent on balancing the ratios of Earth and Fire chakra used. Dodai's rubber form of it leans more towards its Earth composition. As opposed to Etoro's, whose Magma leans more towards the Fire chakra.⌋

⌈I see...⌋

Tango recalled that "Lava", meant many forms. During the last war, there were no shortage of reports identifying users creating a wide range of substances. From scorching rocks, to acidic mud, and even cement.

Suzu looked at Rei with concern, for he too once possessed the capacity to wield this ability... albeit to a very limited degree.

⌈I'm fine Suzu, don't worry. Although his skill has improved somewhat, I have no doubts he isn't much to worry about.⌋

⌈Mm. He wouldn't have much time to train, given his time in prison, and limited amount of freedom prior to today's events.⌋

"THE WINNER FOR THE THIRD PRELIMINARY ROUND... ETORO KONJIKI!"

⌈Ah! It's already over. There goes another quick one.⌋

⌈It's nothing to be surprised about Suzu. Most people here are nothing special, but a means of increasing the odds of their village's success. And with the stage setting, the matches were designed to end relatively quick...Hm?⌋

The boy's train of thought was interrupted upon noticing the victorious Etoro, now staring at their booth. Once he matched Rei's eyesight, he raised his hand to his neck, enacting a slitting motion across it with his thumb... as a means of taunting Rei.

In response, the hand Rei used to lean against one of the walls inside the booth began to crack, its stone surface breaking under the sheer pressure of his fingers.

⌈This motherf**kin...! You better hope we don't get paired in the finals, asshole!⌋

⌈Please don't scream when using this link, we hear you just fine Rei.⌋

⌈Cheh! He's got a lot of nerve acting like that to me, especially after the ass whoopin' I gave him the last time we fought!⌋

Suzu dropped her shoulders in exhaustion.

⌈Haaaa... Guess I should've expected that guy to win... as much as it annoys me.⌋

⌈As we've just discussed, don't think too much about it. He hasn't had much of an opportunity to improve.⌋

{And yet... he still managed to grow so much in such a short time. The number of discs he can control has near tripled in number. Tch! Geniuses in this world are so damn unfair!}  

Rei turned around and continued to meditate. No longer interested in these specialized "quick matches".

⌈Don't want to watch anymore? Are you in a bad mood now?⌋

⌈Don't patronize me like some toddler. Is there even a point anymore? Everyone's saving their hidden cards for the main event. We're not gonna learn anything worth...⌋

⌈Worth what? Rei? Why'd you stop?⌋

⌈...⌋

⌈Rei? Can you hear... um, Sensei. Is our communication link still working?⌋

⌈Yeah, it is. Rei, is yours not—?!⌋

TAK!

Rei jumped up from his spot once more, running across the stone floor before leaning out of their booth to get a better look at the arena!

"Ah! Is he... he is! He's coming... finally!"

"What? Who's coming? What's got you so freaked out... wait... is that who I think it is?!"

⌈You two... calm down! And use the link!⌋

Tango stepped forward to join them, wondering what all the fuss was about. 

The next batch of contestants, one after the other, took the center stage. But the last of the group grabbed the team's full attention.

A young man with a ponytail much like Rei's, moved with such grace, as if he were walking down the road of a street. It was clear the others posed absolutely no threat to him.

⌈T-That one... he's different. And that insignia on his back... is he the one you encountered in that canyon?⌋

⌈Yeah... it's him. Tai and I will never forget his face. Rei, burn his image into your mind.⌋

⌈Already have Suzu... I already have.⌋

As the young man took his place, Kitsuchi raised his burly arm once again, eager to begin the next match.

 

 

 

"Itachi... Uchiha"

 

65