Joe
66 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Not many left the room since awakening was a single recess away. 

Although Dharma and Mana shared their lunch with Sam, it turns out that a long exposure to Rogue was also quite harmful to kind gentlemen.

"You should not have made fun of his weight," Dharma sighed.  

A little surprised, Rogue blinked and inquired, "Why not?"

"Because… it's… bad?" 

"So is trying to get in your meemaw's panties but you don't see me going all moral on your ass," Rogue mumbled and leaned against the desk. 

"I don't even feel anything now," Dharma shrugged. He can only feel embarrassed to a limit before growing indifferent to an insult.

"Bingo!" Rogue grinned, "If Sam's got a weird fetish for body fat, then he needs to have thick skin to hear me out. It's not like I'm stopping him from losing weight. Like, hey, come here, I'm gonna cut off your limbs and just keep on feeding you!" 

Dharma grew serious for a moment when Mana coughed.

"So… am I the only one still pissed at Vincent?" 

"Pretty much." 

"Looks like it." 

"Come on, you two are telling me that if you had a shadow element… you wouldn't have added Ishva rune for concealment?" 

Mana's gaze grew sharp as he looked for answers in the eyes of his comrades and seeing them look away, he smiled in satisfaction. 

"Hush, now," A calm voice broke all the idle chatter. 

Even the overly daring Rogue grew silent and hid his bag which still held the mark— Fuck Serene XXX. 

Just like yesterday, Klyde limped towards the podium. His grey shirt a size larger and his head balding from the front. 

Slowly observing everyone, Klyde nodded his head. 

"Today, you all will awaken. Section B downstairs went through their awakening before recess and now, the forty of you will go through the same process. Before that, let me explain something crucial. This pertains to the three years of life that the sect will take away from you." 

Seeing that he already had the attention of every student, Klyde began. 

"There are a total of six semesters divided into three years of core practice similar to the inner studies you all committed yourself to previously. The first two semesters will be largely focused on practical knowledge and guidance. Emphasis on guidance." 

"By guidance, I mean that at any point of time until notified otherwise, Vincent and I would clear every single doubt that you might have. This will, however, not remain true for personal dilemmas that do not directly affect your well-being. For any psychological and ethical consultation, you may visit the Consultation Department unhesitatingly. Is this clear?" 

Once everyone nodded, Klyde continued slowly. 

"Now, can anybody tell me why Serene Heart Sect is different and unarguably in the top three sects of the continent?" 

'Chicks.'

'Dem Titties.'

'Serene Heart Sutra!'

Only Dharma thought of the right answer and raised his hand high. 

"Yes, Dharma?"

"Because of the Serene Heart Sutra and being one of the rare sects capable of guiding origin and orthodox cultivators altogether." 

"Good, but that is only partially correct. There is another part of the answer. Can anybody guess it?" 

'Harem.' 

'Dem Tittties.' 

'Tailored cultivation guidance?' 

Rogue turned out to be a man of extreme focus. 

"Fame and marketing?" 

Someone took a shot, brought a few chuckles and when Klyde shook his head, he nodded with a good heart. 

It wasn't his time yet. 

"Strength. 

Might." 

Klyde spoke up somberly. 

"The Before Disaster Era was one where no laws covered the planet. It is no longer true. 19000 years have passed since the Grand Disaster and the sect has lived through those 19000 years, slowly changing and accumulating experience. Through all the past records, any observant cultivator would come to realization that a Sect's true backing is neither its people, the emotions, the bonds, or… marketing." As Klyde said so, a tiny curve could be seen over his lips. 

"It is strength. The sect had the strength to divert or overcome any trouble that came its way and survived till now."

"Will anybody define strength?" 

Rogue instantly raised his hand, still feeling a little high from lecturing his juniors during Vincent's lecture. 

"Yes?" 

Standing up, Rogue flexed his left arm as his biceps and forearms bulged impressively. Meanwhile, he pointed towards the said flexing with his other hand silently. 

His meaning was clear to all as Klyde nodded. 

"Once again, this is a partial answer. Please take a seat, Mr. Growsky." 

Refraining from groaning and showing disrespect to his grand-master, Rogue sat down. 

"In the Serene Heart Sect, we define strength in body, mind, and the soul. Our body is capable of withstanding many tribulations. Our minds are capable of such schemes that will allow us to vanquish said tribulations without the need of lifting a finger. And our spirit holds body and mind together. It humanizes our rational mind and keeps us from turning into an empty shell devoid of vigor. The spirit also affects the body's potential to grow and experience."

Klyde's voice felt surprisingly soothing and his words made many students feel calm but Mana still felt something wrong. 

"Sir, the strength definition of mind, body, and spirit is something involving orthodox cultivation. Why should we, Origin Cultivators, follow the path of conscious strengthening of body and spirit with the origin already there for it?" 

Rogue and Dharma blinked in surprise. Even they were affected by Klyde's tone and started thinking about what he said deeply but Mana's words made sense. 

"Mana, this is a question tackled in the fourth semester. However, the definition of strength in body, mind, and spirit also holds philosophical value meant to motivate each of you," Klyde replied calmly, a little relieved that the spirit of questioning wasn't lost in this group. 

'Aw, and I was hoping to learn something…' Mana blew a sigh and nodded. 

"Now, the main focus of the first two semesters would be to teach all the first year disciples the methods of cultivating strength. Keep in mind, Vincent and I will be departing methods of gaining strength." 

"Is it… more studying?" Mira inquired. 

"Exactly. 37 jade slips regarding various subjects and runes will be slowly and carefully taught this year alongside daily physical routines," Klyde finally smiled. 

But at what cost? 

"Huh? You're kidding me!" 

"Even the inner and outer courses have a total of 33 jade slips worth of syllabus and that's a total of 15 years!" 

"Oh. my. Dao!" 

"Tell my mother I won't miss her!" 

Even Mana groaned and leaned on the desk. 

"Hah, it's a good time to be a returnee, eh?" Rogue stated loudly as everyone shot hateful glares towards him. Feeling two of them particularly close to him, Rogue turned towards Mana and Dharma with an incredulous expression. 

"Et tu Mana?" 

"Oh, zip it! You've already lost two days of gaming rights… don't urge me to delay it further." 

Dharma instantly looked towards Rogue with a hopeful expression, wanting the fool to irk Mana again but not taking the bait, Rogue nodded somberly and quietened down. 

"Is everyone done?" Klyde inquired calmly. 

He simply had something about him that struck him a little different than Vincent. Maybe it was his older age that struck the chords in the girls' hearts leading to massive daddy issues? 

Whatever it was, Mana was extremely impressed by the man. 

He feels as calm as granny. Too bad she produced a psychotic threat… 

"With all said and done, I wish all of you good luck for the awakening. Remember, with the amount of determination you have to arrive at this stage, even at the lack of physical talent, you will grow and mature well. The art of being Serene is to accept outcomes and only then thinking ahead." 

The disciples nodded collectively as Klyde made them form a line before leading the entire class out of the left wing belonging to the first year Incrsiption Disciples. On their way out, as they were leaving through the exit close to the B section, Mana and Dharma felt two intense stare cover their backs. 

Can they see through walls?

Mana gulped but didn't dare return the look. At least, not now. 

Once they exited the left wing, Klyde turned towards the Serene Auditorium of the sect.  

Although he didn't introduce the massive structure, many disciples already knew that at the end of each semester, the Auditorium would be the location of an amazing auction. 

"The auditorium is built with almost 200 privately accessible rooms. I am very much obliged to inform that the rooms occupied by disciples during the awakening are recorded and monitored. So…" turning back and looking at the students with a slightly dark gaze that have already experienced too much, Klyde requested. 

"Do not think that you are alone… any strange thing you perform will be hard… to forget." 

'I can't achieve my dream of awakening naked after all,' Mana's gaze trembled but his heart felt a slight tug. 

'Or maybe… I can. As Rogue said previously… what insults can I not bear? And I am perfectly comfortable with my body… 

I can do it!' 

"Sir, what do you mean?" A particularly innocent girl inquired when her acquaintance quickly whispered something in her ear.  

Blushing, the group went quiet as Klyde led the group inside the auditorium. The insides of the structure smelled like fresh ocean, revitalizing all the disciples at the entry but none could stay in one place to admire the beauty of exotic decorations found in many corners of the structure. Instead, Klyde was received by a group of officers incharge of the private quarters. 

"This is it," Klyde smiled, "Remember, the threshold to continue the classes will be reaching C-rank Aptitude. If you cannot reach that, one of the older disciples outside your private room will enter and help you revert the process steadily. After that, I will assist the disciple in transferring to the orthodox portion of the sect. 

Remember, everyone regardless of status and score needs to follow this rule.  

Should you deny the assistance of the senior disciple, that is fine. But the sect will not accept Origin Cultivators with aptitude lower than the already set threshold." 

"Now go, these two will lead all of you," Klyde smiled warmly as the disciples followed the two officers while the remaining two stayed with Klyde. 

However, one particular disciple was snatched out of the line instantly. 

"There cannot be two origins in one being, Mr. Growsky. Where do you think you're going?" Klyde inquired warmly. 

"To test my luck," Rogue's reply came without hesitation, "Maybe I am born for a reason… maybe I am the ultimate genius with two—" 

"What you are born for is to clean your bag. If I see such vulgarities regarding the sect on your person, I will personally handle Black Heart, is that clear?" 

Rogue nodded with a meek chuckle. 

"Sect Master, do you wish to—" One of the officers began. 

"No, please continue with your duties. Tell the officer monitoring the situation to be extremely cautious. Mr. Growsky here will keep me company till then." 

With a bow, the officers left while Rogue stood silently. 

"Sigh, go on," Klyde stated. 

"Why?" Rogue inquired. 

"Who knows. That is an extremely ambitious inquiry— Why? Maybe, are you questioning the existence itself? Or do you question my preference for apples over oranges? Or do you inquire why I still sleep without any need for the act?" 

Pissed as he maybe, Rogue knew better. 

This old man needs a trashing… sure, if the master could never teach him, then I will. 

Maybe… I was born for this moment right here. 

"No, Grandmaster, I was questioning why I feel this urge to beat Joe." 

Blinking in amusement, Klyde inquired with a smile. 

"And who is this fortunate being, Joe?" 

'If there is a god above all… please don't sleep on me right now.'

Rogue prayed for the first time as his gaze turned eerily dark. 

Klyde was a man of short physical stature so when he found Rodger looking down on him literally and metaphorically, he felt ominous. A feeling he had not felt for many years.

"Joe Mama."

4