Trick or Treat part 3
1.2k 3 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Trick or treat!"

Katie and Olivia, two fairies, held out pillow cases to accept candy.

As they walked away, Katie grinned, peering inside.

"Okay," Katie giggled, "I'll admit it, being a girl has it's benefits."

When you were older and went trick or treating, as a girl, it was cute. As a boy... well... the past few years, Carter and Jamie had used trick or treating as a front to pull pranks. They hadn't exactly gotten the best response from that.

Katie was dressed as a fairy in a actually rather interesting costume. A new memory she had was that she and Olivia had been getting into cosplay, and they'd worked hard on these.

Both of their costumes featured a kind of flower as the motif of their outfit. Katie was dressed with daisies, and Olivia with a dress that looked like it was made of rose petals.

Everyone at the party before this had loved their costumes. It made Katie feel all bubbly inside.

At the party though, an unfortunate collection of new memories had surfaced. Olivia's friends had become more distant from her. Olivia had revealed that she'd gone on two dates with Katie, and then, in Katie's opinion, had acted like children, treating Olivia and Katie like they had cooties.

It was weird, having opinions you didn't remember forming. But just as the memories informed, Olivia's friends avoided them at the party.

But in a little bit of privacy, Olivia and Katie let themselves hold hands.

"Boo."

Katie squeaked out in surprise.

A girl, dressed like Samus Aran from the Metroid games, emerged from a bush.

Though Katie was frustrated for a moment, that faded. This wasn't the old jamie. She was doing it to include them in the fun.

"Niiice," Olivia looked over Jamie's costume.

That's right. A new memory filled an empty space in the puzzle. Jamie's older brother had gotten her into cosplay, and then had started urging Katie and Olivia to try it out.

Katie timidly withdrew her hand from Olivia's.

"So...," Jamie said, "you guys -"

Jamie's body cringed, though her face was partially obscured from the green visor.

"You gals are... like, together?"

Olivia laced her fingers back together with Katie's.

"Yeah," Olivia smiled at Katie, causing her to smile again.

"Weird...," Jamie said. "I mean... not weird like, bad. Just weird in like, I can't believe that this much changed."

"Yeah," Katie said, "I can't believe it either. I'm sorry Jamie, but I don't think I can go back to doing what I... what I used to do with you."

"Heck," Jamie said, "I don't care. Being a girl isn't that bad now that I've gotten used to it. I've gotten this sweet-a** costume. The debt is fully paid."

Katie didn't know why, but she slightly flinched hearing Jamie swear. She'd noticed it was another thing that had changed about her. She didn't like cursing, and she didn't like hearing it.

Unfortuantely, she was too timid to say she didn't like it. Self-consciousness began setting in.

She saw the fairy next to her smile at her, and it made the dark clouds in her mind drift away.

"I know I look a bit out of place," Jamie said, "but would you two fairies  mind having a bounty hunter join you on this adventure for candy."

Katie giggled. "We'd love it."

They began walking down the sidewalk again.

"But I uh," Jamie said, "I kinda forgot a candy bag of my own in my rush of awesomeness wearing this thing..."

"Pff," Katie chuckled, "you want to share?"

"Sure," Jamie said, "and not just so I can select the non-loser candy when we divvy it up."

"Oh don't worry," Katie smiled, "you can have all the tasty black licorice you want."

Katie rifled through her pillowcase, and to her delight, actually found a piece of black licorice, giving it to Jamie.

"Well," Jamie said, "maybe I like black licorice in this universe."

She took it from Katie, and taking off her helmet, shoved it into her mouth.

Her expression immediately proclaimed complete disgust but for some reason she let personal pride continue her torture.

Katie and Olivia laughed at Jamie's sour expressions, and after Jamie finally swallowed, she was laughing as well.

They went from house to house, obtaining more treasures of confection, and then had a slumber party at Jamie's house afterward.

All the while, Katie felt among real, good friends. She was a lot more timid and introverted than she was before, but as long as she had Jamie, and her girlfriend Olivia, she'd be able to get through it.

And judging by how much fun they had that night, maybe "getting through it" wouldn't be so tough at all.

Thanks for reading guys and gals! This was a fun little one to write. It didn't feel quite big enough to be the sort of story big enough to have 15 or so parts.

I guess this was my first foray into fantasy, but I did it kinda sparingly. I'll have to try it again in the future.

This was really fast for character development compared to my other stories, but I feel that if I argue that "the other universe is bleeding into this one, giving them emotions and memories they didn't have before," it kinda makes sense.

The thinness of the plot and characters was the reason why I didn't make this one into a full story. I have a lot of these good, but not great ideas. Hopefully they'll make for more fun stories in this collection!

Thanks for reading!

28