Chapter 1: The Black-Looking-Orb
52 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I opened my eyes to a vast blue sky, the flurry of leaves filled my ears, and the smell of nature tingled my nose.

It seemed that I was in a forest. No, it was crystal clear that I was in a forest, standing still.

“I couldn’t remember my past.”

… … …

… … …

… … …

“Aren’t you guys fed up with those kinds of games?”

There was a pause as if I had definitely triggered some ambiguous meaning with those words.

“Huh!? What you’re saying is total blasphemy! This is an all-you-can collect waifu! It’s basically a harem—HAAAAARREEEEEMMMM! I tell you. Thus, why would we be tired?”

“Yeah, that’s right! This is a culture in itself. You can speak ill of me but as a man, I cannot just let you utter detestable indignation about my love. As a matter of fact, if you’re a real man, you’ll do anything for the ones you love. DON’T YOU DARE SPEAK OF MY LOVE LIKE THAT!”

Sitting inside of a classroom, my two friends retaliated with that single statement quite aggressively. It was lunchtime and the first thing they do was to play with their phones, after we bought them from the school cafeteria, needless to say.

These two—every time I go against their taste in anime or manga, they would always defend it in the silliest way possible. Who, in the right mind, would squander all of their money just to get a pixelated 3D version of cute animated girls? Like the higher the rarity, the harder it is to get, therefore, the more that person spends. Gacha games are a real parasite, I deem.

Well, whatever. I’m not the one losing money over it anyway.

“Okay, love what you like, I suppose.”

Usually, I always have a lunch box with me but due to my younger brother being sick and my mom taking care of him up till early dawn, I didn’t bother to wake her up. I hope Kyo would recover soon.

I bought a yakisoba bread and the other was ham and cheese bread. We’re already seated near the window and from my position, I can see the bright blue sky waving its clouds at me. It was serene and peaceful. It made me yawn.

I finished the first pack of bread. By the time that I did, my two friends are still tapping on their phones seemingly too engrossed to it. They won’t stop until the school bell rang; it had always been like that.

Having an imaginary world of their own, my friend—the one who spoke first—was tapping his phone excitedly. The intense stare he had to it could probably melt the screen.

“Whoa!”

Hollering with excitement, he abruptly stood up. I reacted with an “Oy!” but got neglected.

He hit the edge of the table, jerking it and due to that, my drink almost got spilled on the table if I hadn’t saved it from falling off. In any case, that should’ve hurt him but seeing that he was more focused on his personal matter…, never mind.

“A new event! Amazing, amazing… And it comes with new costumes too!”

“REALLY?! What wonderful news the developers had rained upon us. Who is it for?! What type of costume? Let me see, let me see!”

The other one followed and unwarily slammed the table. He was too immersed that he forgot that we’re not the only students in the room. In fact, that remark was intended for the two of them.

Given that these two were so noisy, I examined around the room. As expected, we got the attention of all our classmates, each with corresponding reactions—confusion, laughter, and coldness.

“Quiet down. You guys are too loud.

I whispered to them, straight-faced.

Once the two of them noticed it, they were obviously embarrassed and gently sat down again.

“Sorry, we got too excited.”

Suffice to say, we are the well-known otaku triangle in this room and having that title on our name, I guess my classmates had some level of tolerance towards our buffoonery.

I tipped backward and got a glance of the sky once more. I immediately crammed the second pack of bread in my mouth and sipped my juice in one go.

After eating all of the food, I picked up the plastic wrapper and feebly pushed my chair away. The two, like always, were still held hostage by their phones smiling like a pervert.

“Reiji, where are you going?”

“Toilet.”

And so, I walked out.

Just as I opened the door, the noise echoed throughout the corridor. Students from different sections are idly conversing aside. To begin with, our room was already boisterous but the outside had beaten that.

Casually conversing to their own accord, I passed by and heard some of it.

———————————

“Look, I got a new dog.”

“Hwah, it’s so cute!”

———————————

“I told you, the new album was greater. It topped on the billboard and received acclamations.”

“No, I still like the older one.”

———————————

“The parfait in this restaurant was super delicious, want to try it out later?”

“Yeah, sure I do. I’ll just contact my parents to know where I’m going.”

———————————

Each to their own, living the best life they possibly can. It must be nice.

I threw the plastic I had in my hand into the trash bin. Even though I said that I’m going to the toilet, I went to the rooftop instead.

The rooftop was secured with handrails and tall metal grids so students can come by as they see fit.

I opened the door and a soothing breeze welcomed me. The fresh air inhaled onto my lungs felt reinvigorating.

I’d done a bit of stretching. Those tensioned muscled I had from sitting all morning finally came to an end.

“Ngghhh… That’s it. That hits the spot.”

Just as expected, no one but me and the birds flying in and out—was present on the rooftop. It’s the season of summer so today’s a pretty tropical day for one to take such leisure here. Luckily enough, plenty of clouds was roaming around the sky, sporadically obstructing the rays of the sun.

Besides, who would want to waste their time in this blaze? Obviously, except me, of course.

I laid my arms on the railings and took my phone out to check the time.

“Still got some time to spare.”

And to the pocket, back you go.

There was nothing much to describe here. The sky had always been the sky wherever you go, the same with the mountains, the same with the sun. No matter where you go, the view might change but you will always know what is what and which is which. Although I said that, looking at it was enough to satisfy me.

It made me yawn again.

I looked below. Nothing worth mentioning again. Just the typical and ordinary stuff you will encounter in your everyday lives.

That’s right. “Typical and ordinary.”

“Sigh, I’m so bored. It must be nice to have a goal in life.”

I muttered.

I know everyone’s got a dream. I had a dream when I was a kid. So speaking like a total outcast was hypocritical of me. However, as time goes by, decisions and realizations are bound to be changed.

Hell, I don’t even know when my mindset became like this. But as of now, I don’t know what I’m going to do with my life.

The one standing under the heat and sulking is me—Reiji Tatemiya.

A sophomore in high school and a self-proclaimed otaku. Nothing I could say for myself, I’m just your ordinary, average student—well, I’m currently having a quarter-life crisis, maybe that counts. If we’re talking about achievements, I don’t have any spectacular ones. The only achievement I had was about game consoles. Another thing to add, I do have the so-called chuunibyou. Though, I only tend to act like it when I’m with my closest friends and family. I’m a closet chuunibyou to be exact.

I’ve never done it in public, and just thinking of it cringes me. Believe it or not, my family is considered to be otakus. They were the people who influenced me in becoming one but don’t get me wrong. I never ever resented them because of that. On the contrary, I’m actually grateful that I had inherited it. I’m more of myself when I’m with them.

Oh, and aside from my otaku-related activities—I do cycle as my hobby so I think my build is somewhat in a good shape…, I think.

Then again, why am I so bored even though my introduction hadn’t had any shred of tragedy or misery to it?

The answer would be Near Perfect—not describing my life but rather the state of the world right now. Ever since the cure for cancer had been fully developed and marketed, everything in the world rapidly refined. All sorts of technological and medicinal advancements came to be, major issues such as global warming and lack of resources had already been solved, and even the smallest issues are being tackled to this very day.

It’s extremely convenient to the point that we were being spoon-fed which is a good thing in my opinion.

Unfortunately, human nature can be quite a bitch. Criminal cases happen from time to time, the same as accidents—which is an unavoidable circumstance. Not only that, humans still stick to past culture such as classes being held in school or using paper for documentation, when it can be done alternately by using technology.

I guess some things will change and some will remain.

So what can I do? What can I accomplish?

After graduating from my selected course, I’ll find a stable job related to it, have a stable income, and then have a family of my own. By the end of it, I’ll die happily with no regret.

Can my life be fulfilled that way? Am I really satisfied with that? That seemed too mundane for me.

I know what I’m ranting is absolutely immature and pure stupidity. Plus, it’s not like I’m some kind of a genius or prodigy that I can do everything. I’m not even sure if my justifications were right, it’s just that, for me, I just wish for an eventful life—a life that would make my dull existence painted with vibrant colors.

“What am I even thinking?”

I do know that I have the disease called chuunibyou but still, that was way too cringy for me.

Now that I think about it, that’s too embarrassing to have my thought process be like that.

“—iji, Reiji, REIJI TATEMIYA!”

A woman’s voice shouted behind me. She had a powerful yet delicate tone, completely interrupting my daydream and had pulled me back to reality.

To have my revenge for doing that, I took a deep breath and made the most irritating grin I could make.

“WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU, NAOMI WATANABE?!”

Naomi had her hands rested on her waist when I turned around, her eyes glaring to mine.

Naomi Watanabe is a close neighbor and somehow a childhood friend. Her family relocated near ours when I was in my first year of middle school. Thus, I believe that I’m somehow a childhood friend.

Her black hair is tied in a ponytail, figure and complexion are certainly outstanding, it could even be compared to a modern idol, at least from my observation.

We are of the same grade but unlike me, her life’s already full of achievements. She’s secretary of the student council—having a high likelihood to be the president next school year—and she’s also the president of the karate club.

She’ll be successful, I can assure you that.

Oh, by the way, she’s the one who invited me to cycle so I owe her that hobby of mine.

Naomi was surveying the area. After that, she sighed.

“Where are the two idiots, Satoshi and Jouji?”

Harsh as always. But her question made my expression sour, having to remember that demonic game.

“They’re in the room playing on their phones. Why? Did you need something from them?”

“And why are you here all alone?”

I got ignored. She continued to like my reply was non-existent.

“… Well, I’m enjoying the season of summer. Can’t you feel the heavenly breeze?”

Was my excuse, but Naomi was bought by it. She lifted her head towards the sky and took a deep breath.

I’m not lying on the latter part though. It really felt heavenly up here.

I just noticed it now as I looked at her, both her hair and uniform fluttered with the wind. She was beautiful to watch and I adore these kinds of imagery. I would even respectfully claim it as a preferential inclination of mine.

With only the two of us here, what a blissful moment it is. I’ll be storing this in my hard drive even if it’s only for a short duration.

“Hey Naomi, if I’d had my skin tanned, would you fall in love with me?”

“…”

I said jokingly. I tried to break the tranquility of the mood just for the sake of fun. However, not only did Naomi failed to reply, she gave me a blank stare as well. This is where you’re supposed to make a witty comeback, Naomi.

Not giving a damn to my joke, I continued to at least keep up with the flow.

“E-er, how did you know I was here?”

She made an involuntary jerk.

“Course, I know.”

Naomi said as she averted her eyes and brushed her hair to the rear of her ear.

Eh? This is rare. She blushed, redness all over her face. And in response, my heart raced in a state of calamity.

“I-It’s because…”

Gulp!

Naomi glanced to and fro with zero intention to keep it at one site, resulting in an awkward and heavy atmosphere.

“Please say something!”

Was what I would like to propose but given the circumstances, even I had trouble doing so.

An innocent lady having a hard time expressing her genuine emotions, Naomi seemed like that. She placed her left hand inside her pocket and slowly unfolded her lips.

Is it a love letter? It must be it, right? No, I’m practically convinced that it is. Or it might be chocolate? Wait! It’s not even Valentine yet.

Internally, I cheered for her to talk but I couldn’t take it anymore. In any case, I should engage a conversation to alleviate her tension.

“N-Nao—”

“Here! I used an application that can tell the location of the person you have a contact with.”

Naomi blurted out and at the same time, she brought out her phone and jabbed her finger at the screen.

She spoke too fast that I almost got lost in the middle of what she said. It left me stunned for a short while.

Although once I regained my composure.

“Pfft, Hahaha!”

I laughed. Naomi followed and also demonstrated a laugh.

“Hahaha!”

She embraced her stomach, gasping for air.

“N-now that how you confess, you should’ve seen the look on your face.”

“Yeah, you got me there.”

And here I was anticipating something else.

“Finally, I saw you laugh…”

Naomi’s tone and demeanor were melancholic even though she was smiling. Having her hands on her back, she added.

“You always seemed to have that lonely face; it makes me uncomfortably annoyed.”

… I see. It was that discernible, huh. I’m glad that she was thinking of me but having her worried about me, packed me with remorse.

“Sorry if I made you worry. I’ll treat you on the way home to make up for it.”

“I-I’m not worried about you or anything. It’s just—it doesn’t suit your attitude, that’s all. You look dumb looking like that.”

She retorted, her hand folded and head craned sideward.

“It’s a no, then?”

Hearing me say that, Naomi arched forward, hands balled in front of her.

“I never said that I’d refuse it. Free is free, after all.”

Yeah, yeah, a tsundere through and through.

I suddenly remembered the application on her phone.

“By the way, how did you get access to my location? Isn’t that a violation of privacy?”

“Sigh, are you really that oblivious? Remember the message you received the other day after we’re done cycling. I requested your permission.”

I do vaguely recall that happening. Just in case, I took my phone out and went to the said message. I actually had my approval. Am I really that spaced out? … Oh, the time. We were too riveted on that we hadn’t noticed the time.

“Naomi, let’s head back. Homeroom is about to resume.”

I put my phone back in my pocket. Naomi did the same too.

While I approached Naomi, she inhaled a lot of air and slowly exhaled the built-up out of her mouth. I stopped once I saw that. My hostility escalated quickly to a certain degree.

She only does that when she’s training karate. I more often than not help her practice and because of it, I gained basic knowledge and techniques. That’s why I know I’m in danger right now.

“WAIT!”

Naomi emphasized; her eyes were terrifyingly glaring at mine. All the motions in my body halted, even my own breath. Then, she clenched her hand that had me be on defensive mode.

She’s reddish all over her face. Is she angry? I couldn’t comprehend it but her aura, it’s definitely one of those instances where she’ll crack my neck if I don’t block her attack.

“U-uh…”

She sounded innocent. Though, not even a minuscule of it matched her facial expression at all.

Hey, brain. If you did anything to her, this is the time to work otherwise, we’ll suffer the depths of hell.

“Sheesh, this is so embarrassing…”

“…”

Naomi let loose of her body and smiled sweetly while casting her eyes down.

“R-Reiji… I-I’ve… A-always… L-liked…”

… Is she really confessing? And the old school type too.

Naomi raised her blushing face.

“…?”

However, when she did, she stopped talking but her mouth stayed open. She seemed to be in shock.

Was there something wrong with my face? Her eyes are fixated on me.

No. I think she was looking at what’s behind me. So I shifted my line of sight to what made her look like that.

… … …

I disputed my own mentality as a huge black-looking-orb was registered to my vision.

2