Chapter 13: Blessed Lunch
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mayer’s house was the opposite of the guild mansion.

It wasn’t outstanding and would blend to the neighboring houses.

Just the typical family house, in my opinion.

By the way, we got impeded again before coming here.

As I expected, the interior was also average. From the furniture to the layout of the house.

Above the table were pictures of Mayer and what I think is his daughter and wife. The girl looked more like her mother and only the hair color is what she inherited from Mayer.

Looking at the display, another picture came into my sight.

A young Mayer, a younger Guild Master, and an old man with green hair wearing the similar robe as the Guild Master wore.

I’m sure that this was the previous Guild Master before the current Guild Master. Yeah, using the same title is kind of complicated.

There were other people in it, a woman having the same hair color as the old man and another man. And there’s someone who looked like Peia. She must be her mother?

But if I calculate her age to that of her mother. Child pregnancy or that she’s just a loli? Peia has a young-looking mother, it seemed.

It’s a portrait so there must be some inconsistencies in the process of making it. I hope so.

But I do say that Mayer looked very different right now. Just from his get-up, he seemed to be a troublemaker in the past, a rebellious teen.

The Guild Master… not so much. Her chest was absolutely smaller back then though.

“I’m home.”

Mayer said that while I was looking at the picture.

And now, a brown-haired woman leaning outward a door with a smile, showing her upper body, replied.

“Welcome back.”

She seemed to be preparing lunch. The fragrance smelled really delectable when we entered the house.

My first impression of her was Mayer 2.0.

Of course, I’m half-kidding. She had a motherly vibe and kindness. A perfect match for Mayer.

“Papa!”

A young girl in a twin pigtail exhilaratingly screamed as she made her way to his father.

She really does resemble her mother and father.

Following her were the group of kids we encountered earlier, also screaming “““Uncle Mayer””” along the line.

All of a sudden, the place looked like a nursery center with Mayer being the caregiver.

The children clung to Mayer.

“Okay, everyone, prepare yourselves. We’re going to burst through the castle over there.”

“““Yes.”””

And they rushed back to the living room.

I couldn’t help myself but smile at them.

“Hello, you must be Reiji. Nice to meet you.”

“Y-yes, ma’am. Nice to meet you too.”

She has a gentle voice. Mira might have a competition right over here.

“Just call me Minna. And you don’t need to be agitated around me.”

“Mama, join us! And big brother Reiji too! Hurry!”

Interrupting us was Mayer’s daughter waving her hands.

“Our daughter’s name is Firi. Come let’s play with them.”

Before I could even reply, Minna wrapped her arms and led me to the living room.

……

Firi gave me a spatula and there was a small stove in the living room.

“Here, you can be the chef, big brother Reiji.”

It’s a pretend play, with Minna being the manager slash waitress.

In truth, I was just giving them a small piece of bread but they thought of it as sandwiches.

Right around the corner, Mayer had all the boys grouped and doing storytelling.

There was one girl though, the little girl who had her middle tooth missing.

“One sandwich, chef.”

What a realistic restaurant this is. There’s even a paper to boot it up.

“Okay, one sandwich ready.”

A small piece of bread that can be eaten with one bite. They made sure to never spoil the children of their lunch later.

After a while, Mayer and Minna left to handle the food.

What a lovey-dovey couple.

They requested me to keep an eye on the children.

I thought it would be onerous to have them at bay but the children are surprisingly obedient.

Minna had given me a storybook for them to listen to and all.

It was getting me sleepy actually so instead I closed the storybook.

“Okay, today we’ll be playing a game of zombie tag.”

We all seemed to be having the same expression so the tilts in their heads are a fresh start.

Judging from their faces, they had no idea what it was but for me, it was clear as the sky. The rules and instruction.

“The game is simple.”

I introduced it to them.

“There’s one player who tags and when he or she tags another, they become teammates. Simple and fun.”

It’s possible to play around here, quite spacious, and I told them that none can leave the room.

We wouldn’t want to cause a mess in the house.

I let myself be the tagger and they scattered around.

Of course, I went easy on them. I don’t need to be ruthless and show them my superiority.

Though, I’m somehow itching for it.

I dilly-dallied for some time and tagged one of the little girls.

“Okay, got you! Now we team up and get the others.”

She ran excitedly.

While we chase out the others, I had another whiff of the meal in the kitchen. It’s whetting my appetite.

“I’ve got one!”

The girl’s voice was quite hoarse.

After that, the sound of utensils clattering grabbed our attention.

Why does it feel like I’m one with the children now?

Mayer and Minna had set the table in the living room.

“““Yehey!”””

The children cheered.

There’s a knock coming from the door and Mayer headed had gone to open it.

The people from earlier came too. The couple in the flower shop, The old lady that gave me the cookies, and the other ones whom we met.

Along with them are gifts from their stores.

The lunch had become a party. Last night was the same. The only difference is that these people are approachable. Those people at the inn…

While I was thinking of them, Mayer signaled me to ‘come here’.

Minna and the woman at the flower shop…, Mrs. Cielo? ..., are preparing the plates.

“I haven’t formally introduced him yet. This is our newest family member, Reiji. He recently joined our guild yesterday.”

Mayer proudly said as he loosely flung his arm over my shoulders.

Even though I’ve just settled here, they gave me perky expressions. Not a single one doubted.

“Good to have another great adventurer in Thehill now. Hahaha!”

I’ve received warm greetings like that and something like this.

“Ohoho. If you’re hungry, just come to my bakeshop and I’ll prep you something, okay?”

“Y-yes.”

It was the old woman who gave me the cookies earlier.

And then another man spoke, the husband of the flower shop lady.

“And if you’re courting a lady, I’ll prepare you some bouquets and give you tips on how to—Ow, ow, ouch… Stop that, honey.”

“You’re always welcome to our flower shop, Reiji.”

A large chunk of his sides got pulled out. The twist on his face tells me how painful it was.

“Yes…”

Tugging on my shirt from underneath, I peeked and it was Firi, trying to cling to me.

“Big brother, Reiji. Let’s eat. Mama’s food is very delicious.”

Mayer let go of his arm and nodded.

Firi wanted me to hold her hand and so I did.

The children are already seated.

Mayer and the other visitors continued to converse.

We were told to eat first as they’ll likely follow soon. And they're going to be having lunch in the next room. There’s no space in here, we all occupied it.

A stew and vegetables. Hm, guessing from the meat, it is… Beef?

Minna served meals on every plate of the children. It really looked like we're in a nursery.

She then clapped her hand.

“Everyone, let’s eat.”

When I took a bite, the meat was so soft. It didn’t taste like beef but the texture was similar.

“Minna, what meat is this?”

Minna who’s tending to the children by wiping their mouths replied.

“It’s Grizclaw. Is it your first time tasting it?”

“Yeah.”

From what my tastebuds serve, this was my first time, I think.

The other visitors quieted down perhaps they started eating lunch in the other room.

I was the first one to finish. I had a small stomach so I quickly became stuffed.

“Are you already done, Reiji? There’s plenty more if you want to.”

Minna looked concerned. She had a hand on her cheek.

“Yes, I’m already full.”

I declined her with a wry smile.

“You’re still a growing boy so try to eat more next time.”

I did eat a fair amount. I suppose she one of those ‘eat to grow strong’ types of a mother.

Minna sighed and then smiled back.

Now that I think about it, what was my mother like?

Is she also like this? Is she searching for me? Is she even alive…?

No! I need to be optimistic. Time will come.

The lunch ended. I tried to help Minna with clearing the dishes away but she denied it.

"You’re our visitor for today."

She said that and now I’m here together with the children.

I’ve played with them for the remainder of time until Mayer had come into the scene.

“We should be going now, Reiji.”

It was still a bit too early. I’m aware of that but Mayer had already invited me to head back to the mansion.

I wanted to ask why is it early when all of the children protested with an “““Eh?!”””.

“Just a little bit more.”

“Please, please, please.”

I never thought that they’ve become so attached to me.

All I did was think of a way to have them entertained.

Mayer suddenly made a grave expression as if someone had perished.

“Big brother Reiji is needed to protect Thehill from the bad guys. If he doesn’t go now, we’d all be doomed.”

He whispered loud enough to let all the children hear it. The tone of his voice was grieving but if you’re old enough, you can tell that it's acting.

Which is why the children fell for it. At that age, hearing something heroic will have them be in awe.

Just to add on, they are all turned towards me with that expression.

“You can do it, big brother Reiji.”

“Please protect Thehill.”

Why am I going to do with this, Mayer? I glanced at him with this in mind. The guilt of those expectant eyes.

He replied with a smile.

Well, if I just imagine that completing a quest contributes to that then the guilt diminishes a bit.

Therefore, I made a confident nod at them.

And thus, we farewelled the Rankine residence.

2