Chapter 15: First Quest
19 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The road that we stride on, the shops, the wall gate that we’re about to egress, they are all familiar. It’s the same one we arrived at yesterday.

The location of our quest is the forest where I was found. The Finral Forest.

Mira picked this quest for the sole purpose of me having the possibility to retain my memories.

But speaking to her, we’ve reached the conclusion that finishing the quest takes priority.

The former is just a side note. If I haven’t recollected any then it ends there.

The justification is that there’s no way we could explore the entire forest.

I don’t know how large the forest is but it looked expansive, to say the least.

Along the way, we haven’t encountered any kind of monster nor seen one. A peaceful journey.

As expected, there wasn’t any recollection at all. I stood there but apart from the scenery, not one bit.

We looked around to scrutinize for evidence but all of us just shook our heads.

It’s actually bizarre to think that I’m there unharmed and had the necessities to live an idle life.

It does not seem like abandonment to me even more so, an abduction.

Anyway, we marched further into the forest.

All quests are also ranked from F to S.

Our quest for today is to hunt 30 Furspikes which is an F Rank.

Seemingly, the highest rank of quest there is on Thehill is D Rank. The same rank as Aeri and Ranju.

Now I kind of understand why they were so strong against the Mudboars. But also, I don’t understand why they would take a low-tiered quest.

I’m not to question it as I’m just an F Rank.

Slowly but surely. That was Mayer’s advice to me.

Mira materialized her staff.

“Before we go, everyone, gather around.”

We formed a circle or perhaps a square.

As Mira closed her eyes, she thumped her staff on the ground.

Beneath us appeared a magic circle and passed through our frames simply until it vanished.

Nothing happened. No sensation or any out-of-the-ordinary shenanigans that magic can do.

“What’s that for?”

“It’s the party commencement. Using it, we can navigate and find our teammates if they’re lost. Just try to close your eyes and visualize our image.”

Hmm, so it had the same principles as the Karda. That’s why they could locate each other yesterday.

Damn. That’s as convenient as a Karda too.

I shut my eyes and concentrated for a second. Let me try it for a bit.

Mira resembled like a chunk of white light. It’s like her outline had been cut out and painted in white.

And on the far side. I sighted the two which are Aeri and Ranju. I can define who they were because of the detail of the outline.

However, the two were not moving and were staying in the same place.

I opened my eyes and saw that they were at that spot.

“Why are you guys still here?”

“Huh?”

Aeri’s knitted her brows in confusion.

“I thought you would’ve skittered by now and hunt as much as you can.”

I only said this because on the first day I met them, these two were competitive as hell with each other.

Aeri seemed to get the idea of my statement. She averted her eyes and folded her arms.

“Well, you’re not wrong at that… B-but! We’ve come down to a decision that you’ll be taking the quest and we’ll just be the sidekick for now.”

Her tone became a confident one.

“Thank you, I guess.”

They’re being considerate enough for me to participate. I’ll take that and need to act fast or they’ll likely break their oath.

Ranju fidgeting the hilt of his sword.

Aeri pattering her foot.

They’re not very convincing at all.

Not a lot of monsters here too. Or is it we’re just hunting at the wrong time?

Although I thought that, there was a rustle on one of the bushes.

Aeri who made her stance uttered.

“Let me handle this one.”

She nocked an arrow and shot it towards the bush and does another consecutive shot.

The first arrow hits the bush and a white figure jumped out of it.

The second arrow hits the said figure accurately at its chest.

Aeri lifted it and showed the creature she just shot down.

A rabbit-like creature with large yellow eyes and spikes on its back.

If not for the spikes on its back, I would’ve determined it as an adorable creature.

“They’re not that tough but they’re agile and had a bit of intelligence.”

After that, another few more minutes of searching and we’ve found one.

The Furspike was eating in a nearby bush.

Seeing us going near, it ran off.

I chased it. And in doing so, I activated the Mana Shield on my gauntlets.

A yellowish glow covered my body. It made my body light and robust. A buff type of magic.

I took a sidelong glance and Mira was beside me, hovering in the air.

The Furspike made a surprising back jump and now spikes sped toward me.

[Visual Perception] – [Green] – [Red] – [Green]

Both the left and right are indicating the same movement.

I just chose the left and slanted my shoulder reversely.

The Furspike was a millimeter away from grazing my skin as I did that.

BAM! I countered with a Swift Strike on the stomach.

The feeble screech as it slammed on the ground hit my morality.

It stood up but its legs are wobbly. Please stay down.

Before it could recover, I made a follow-up.

[Visual Perception] – [Green] – [Green] – [Green]

I chose the middle.

With a Quick Leap. BAM! Another Swift Strike on the chin.

It didn’t move after that and rendered unconscious.

I suppose this is the way of life. I’ve come to a decision when I became an adventurer so I should stay committed to it.

“Wow! How did you even do it? And you have a Mana Shield? I’m so jealous. But back to the topic, how did you manage to dodge the Furspike with precision? Can you teach me?”

Aeri flooded me with enthusiasm as she went in front of me.

Unfortunately, I can’t do that. Visual Perception is unteachable, I think.

And so, I replied with the easiest line I can come up with.

“U-uh, that’s my special ability so I don’t know if I can teach you that.”

“Eh, really?! That kind of sucks, it really sucks. Boo!”

“So, that’s why you were able to dodge the Mudboars from yesterday with ease. I was a bit surprised that you had dodged it in such a short time period.”

Ranju said in a moderated manner while Aeri being dejected made a sigh.

In response, I nodded to his statement.

Visual Perception really helped me in those instantaneous situations like the Guild Master’s test.

But aside from that matter, even the creatures here were really few in numbers.

“Why are the monsters here scarce? Is it because Thehill is for starting adventurers only?”

“No. It’s because Monster Season hasn’t come yet.”

Monster Season? If I based it on what Ranju had said, they’re in hibernation as of now.

I’m sure that some animals are hibernating in winter but the season of summer?

“When will it come?”

“I think in less than two months.”

“And before Monster Season there’s an event called Monster Festival.”

Aeri interjected with an explosion of excitement all over her.

“I couldn’t wait for the Guild Master’s performance and there’s more. Children, adults, and adventurers alike can wear a monster outfit to commemorate the theme of the festival. Thinking about it makes me longing for it more.”

It looked like the Monster Festival is something worth to be waiting for.

“Okay. With that being said, let’s split up and hunt the Furspikes individually. I’m grateful for your consideration on having me participate in it but with the number of Furspikes, I’m sure that it’ll be nighttime before I can finish them.”

And it’ll give me more muscle ache than I could afford to.

“Well, we do plan to have you hunt as much as you can then we’ll take care of the rest. I guess we could also do a little.”

Both of them agreed.

I know that I can beat the Furspike with my own and I think I can carry myself throughout.

I looked back at Mira to get her feedback but when I did, her expression wasn’t what I considered usual of hers.

She had her gaze downward like she was in deep thoughts.

“Mira? Hello, Mira?”

“Uh, oh, sorry, for spacing out… I’ll dematerialize the Furspike for one second and then I’ll assist you, Reiji.”

“Y-yeah.”

Perhaps she was thinking of the Monster Festival but it’s still weird.

For someone like Mira, I would’ve expected an Aeri type of reaction.

Apparently, I just met her yesterday so I don’t know her complete personality so I can’t judge her.

… … …

[Visual Perception] – [Green] – [Green] – [Green]

Okay… Now!

BAM!

I struck the Furspike on its stomach and it flipped away.

It took two to three hits to defeat them.

And if not for Mira’s buff magic and Visual Perception’s support, I assume that it would’ve taken more hits than that.

“Good job, Reiji.”

Mira was hovering around to dematerialize the defeated Furspikes.

Ranju and Aeri dispersed but it still within the vicinity of our sights.

I’ve already fought five Furspikes.

The other two were obviously catching up to my kill count though.

Aeri had a knife on her as a secondary weapon to fight close quarters.

Her nimbleness and dexterity made the Furspike looked like a snail.

Ranju might not be as fast as Aeri but his arm strength is outstanding.

His swings are powerful enough to slice the Furspikes in half.

Therefore, I had to at least make my quota. I only needed five more to do so.

… … …

A Furspike directed its claw toward me.

[Visual Perception] – [Green] – [Green] – [Green]

Another line was different. The middle line was inverted.

I chose it and arched my head outward. How accurate.

The sharp nails run across my sight and I neatly dodged them.

I feel like Visual Perception is upgrading the more I use it. Just a feeling though.

BAM! With another attack, the Furspike was down for the count.

“Already done one here, Mira.”

“Understood.”

She responded while dematerializing the Furspikes.

That’s my 10th kill. We only need 30 Furspikes by the way.

And there’s the stinging sensation.

At least I got my part of the quest.

As I was massaging my fatigued arms, the two were also done before I could even take a seat.

The three of us sat under the tree.

“Who won?”

I asked. It was to tease them. Hehe.

“I got 13.”

“I got 16.”

What happened next had been highly forecasted.

When it was about to go down, a wooden bottle flown in my sight.

“Here you go. You need to hydrate yourself.”

“Thank you.”

After Mira gave me that, she resumed the dematerialization of the Furspikes.

The two beside me yammered but I just ignored them. My congenial intention was complete when I asked who won.

Putting that aside, This is definitely going to hurt tomorrow.

I can even imagine Mayer right now with a thumbs up saying “Just train, Reiji”.

“You just needed to train, Reiji.”

And there, someone overlapped the imagery of Mayer. It was Ranju with his advice.

“Your body will constantly adjust itself once it got used to your ability.”

Aeri then cut in with a sprinkle of jesting tone.

“So, how’s your debut quest, my junior?”

“It’s a so-so, senior.”

Once Mira finished her dematerialization, she sat and I gave her the wooden bottle.

An indirect kiss. She drank from it unaffectedly.

Although I’m the same. I’m not too reactive to those sorts.

It was just plainly drinking from the same cup.

While I was thinking of that, white light glowed and a massaging sensation coursed all over my arm.

Mira used her magic probably because she noticed me pressing my arms.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

The quest would’ve been easier if the monsters frequently spawn up.

We’ve taken more time searching for them than fighting them.

I guess that’s what Monster Season is for.

We stood up and was about to leave when,

Rustle! Rustle! Rustle! Rustle! Rustle!

Coming out of the bushes are three Mudboars.

Crawling out of the branches are five raccoon-like creatures that had two tails.

“…?”

The rustling continued.

Since the beginning, all we’ve been fighting were Furspikes. Nothing more than that but now different monsters appeared.

The rustling continued.

It’s weird to have them surface in numbers. Even weirder that we’re just encountering them now.

And after I thought of that, the number rose to where I couldn’t count them.

Mudboars, Furspikes, and the raccoon-like creatures with sharp teeth.

All of them bared their respective aggressions.

Yeah… I’m exhausted by now, you know?

————————

Announcement
This will be the last daily upload as I have already posted all of the stock chapters that I have written. From now on, I'll be posting once a week every Monday. I do apologize that I can only do it once a week, I am quite busy with other stuff.
1