Chapter 16: Unusual Phenomenon
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the ground, Mudboars and Furspikes. On the branches, the raccoon-like creature with two tails.

“Is this a natural occurrence?”

“No. This is also our first time encountering such oddities.”

Ranju replied while we prepared our stances.

Obviously, I do know that. We literally just spoke about it a while ago that monsters are few in numbers because it’s not their season yet.

Putting that aside, even though we are in a circular formation, covering each other’s back, the monsters aren’t engaging.

They are problematic don’t get me wrong.

I’m not an expert on monster behavior but this is quite peculiar. If I were them, I would’ve already started the assault the moment I erupted out of the bushes.

They're congregating around us as if they possess sentient intelligence?

But that's not the only problem, with my current state I would be more of a nuisance than a backup if things went south.

I have to think fast. Aeri and Ranju can handle these loads, but they would need leeway in order to do that.

The rustling stopped and before I could come up with a valid plan, they all started to attack at once.

“Everyone, beside me, right now!”

Mira declared with a profound tone.

Ranju and Aeri replied with an “Understood”.

And we all bound beside her. I even crashed into Ranju in doing so.

In a span of seconds, as my eyes are cemented on the raccoon-like creatures pouncing before me, I heard a thump from the ground.

Instantly, a tornado ringed or rather barricaded us. It functioned as an offensive and defensive spell.

The raccoon-like creatures got drifted and massacred by that. Their blood splattered from the surrounding trees and bushes.

That thumping sound came from Mira's staff. It was her magic.

After the tornado magic subsided, only a few remained, and those who lasted skedaddled away due to instinctual trepidation.

Aeri then fired an arrow that splits into three toward the Furspikes while Ranju made a full swing that had easily sliced the two Mudboars.

And me, I’m just relievedly watching them and in astonishment.

I remembered Mira’s a Rank B. This is the power of a Rank B.

Okay, from this day onward, I had acknowledged it.

For half a minute, we lingered around to check if the coast is clear.

“Wah! Why would you take all of them, Mira?! And here I was ready and all!”

Aeri whined.

“U-uh, sorry, it was an emergency. I had to take safety precautions.”

“If you say it like that, I can’t argue with you… Let me hug you to make up for my frustrations!”

“Huw-wah!”

To vent up the stress she had, Aeri tightly hugged Mira and rubbed their cheeks intimately.

If not for the background, it would be a lovely and adorable scene.

There were mutilated corpses, disfigured trees, and a bunch of scattered leaves.

"Never thought we would encounter such an unnatural phenomenon."

Ranju kept his eyes on the forest.

"We need to report this to the Guild Master right away."

Mira said with the same tone when he commanded us, however, it was somewhat distorted.

Therefore, I turned to her and saw that Aeri was still rubbing cheeks with her, intimately.

The expression Mira had contrasted her intention which is why I couldn't take it seriously.

After that though, Mira dematerialized the additional monsters.

We left the Finral Forest in a devastating state.

… … …

We headed directly for the Guild Master's room.

Aside from Mayer who's usually at the side of the Guild Master, all are present, five of us.

He probably had some business to take care of.

Straight to the point, after we bowed, Mira delineated what ensued at the Final Forest.

After listening to the report, the Guild Master closed her eyes for a brief second.

"That's really alarming... I assume that it was also your first time experiencing it, Ranju, Aeri?"

““Yes.””

“Alright, before we proceed. Everyone, please take a seat.”

As we've taken our seats, the Guild Master's eyes met with mine.

"It must've been an unfortunate event for you, Reiji. On top of that, you must've been exhausted."

"It was definitely exhausting but I haven't done anything in that situation. It was thanks to them that the situation got subdued before it could've gotten worse."

“We haven’t done anything much too.”

Aeri repudiated.

“Mira was the one who handled it pretty well… Now that I’m remembering it, it frustrates me. Argh!”

“Huw-wah!”

Mira had been hugged by Aeri once again with the cheek rubbing and all.

A beautiful scene was recreated.

But more importantly, if Mira wasn't there, we would definitely be at a major disadvantage.

Perhaps for Ranju and Aeri, they could carry their own weight but for me, I wasn't in a condition to fight a prolonged battle.

“May I ask, Guild Master? Are there speculations behind that infrequent phenomenon?”

If we underwent that situation then most likely at the other countries as well.

And mind that Thehill is by far the safest country being the monsters here the weakest.

It would be perilous for the other adventurers so it's probable that some degree of an investigation had been conducted.

“There are."

The Guild Master’s demeanor was completely composed.

"Every year the monsters all over the lands had gotten more and more aggressive. We hadn’t had a shred of concrete evidence but studies had hypothesized that it was due to the corruption made by the Abyss.”

“““Abyss.”””

Once the Guild Master said that the three of them muttered in unison.

All expressed the same emotion—appalled.

“And for it to emerge near the capital. This calls for immediate action.”

To make them all look like that, the Abyss must be a location no one should set foot in.

“What’s the Abyss, Guild Master?”

“It is a bottomless hole filled with darkness located at the farthest edge of the land. Regrettably, as of today, no one knows the whole depth of the Abyss. The time it was formed or where it first came from is still a mystery up to this date.

The past administrations and even now are delving, trying every single feasibility to eradicate it. However, it all ended in failure. Once you’ve entered the Abyss, you’re bound to never return. Truly a bona fide plague to the world.”

Not a single one returned…

I felt like I shouldn’t have asked that.

There’s a clear fact going inside my thoughts. The Guild Master had experienced the loss of comrades.

Is there grief on her face? I don’t know actually but she must be.

“You don’t have to look sorry. Moreover, how was the quest today?”

With a bright smile, the Guild Master inquired.

Even though we explained the situation early on, she still wanted to know the full detail of the quest.

And that’s the cue for the two to start.

Aeri raised three for her fingers toward the Guild Master.

“I’ve got three kills more than Ranju, Guild Master.”

“Wow, really?!”

The Guild Master visibly pretended to be surprised.

“Huh?! You’ve only got ahead because I was just holding back for Reiji’s sake. If I wasn’t, I would’ve surpassed yours by a dozen.”

“Eh… Losers will always be losers. You don’t have to reason it out.”

“I-I-I don’t, you flat-chested vegetable!”

“Who you calling flat-chested?! You flat-brained monkey!”

I suppose the Guild Master too loved to incite a fuss.

“Please stop, you two, we’re in front of the Guild Master.”

With Mira suppressing the situation, the Guild Master chuckled.

She then announced.

“Mira about tomorrow, I would like you to take a day-off.”

Mira looked at her and the two hushed down.

“I’ll have to contact the other guilds and discuss this at a conference. Your participation will expedite the problem.”

“Understood, Guild Master.”

“If there are any further questions, you may speak of it now.”

The Guild Master waited for a moment or two.

“With that, I adjourned the meeting. You may resume your plans.”

We left the Guild Master’s room and made for the lobby.

On the way there, I already asked Mira if she was going to the butcher.

I remembered that I still had the Hornball on my Karda that I wanted to sell about.

Unexpectedly, as we had out, Aeri and Ranju also joined us.

“Are you going to the butcher shop as well?”

“No, I’m going to Mr. Aeros to have my sword upkeep.”

“Me too. I needed new arrows to reload my stockpile and my knife is kind of becoming dull.”

At the intersection, Ranju and Aeri had separated with us.

Aeri waved and Ranju nodded.

I was about to continue my walk when Mira was gazing at the back of the two.

And so, I did the same.

They were evidently having a petty argument. I couldn’t hear their conversation but the gesture and the irritated face made it distinct.

If it weren’t for that they would look like an adorable couple.

Well, I could pretty much see that possibility though.

“Don’t they look cute?”

Mira said without any derision to it.

“Yeah, they do.”

I do somewhat agree with it on some parts.

We continued with our walk and stopped at a shop that had a conspicuous “Meat Shop” word affixed on the glass panel.

To add more to it, a signboard hanging from the ceiling had two butcher knives carved on it.

A bell rang as we entered the place.

“Welcome. Oh, Little Mira and a young man. Please wait a minute.”

A brawny middle-aged man grinned at us while accommodating the customers.

The establishment was average. It’s compact but not to the point of having the customers uneased.

Actually, due to it, the place felt hospitable.

The front had a meat display for customers to see.

On the left, there’s a meat selection for an additional category.

There’s the Grizclaw meat. How much is it?

While scrutinizing the meat selection, the customers left and we were next in line.

The people smiled at Mira as they went on. And to me as well.

The popularity of being at a well-known guild. Or much better to say, a well-known adventurer which is Mira.

“What can I do for you?”

“We need to extract the spikes of 30 Furspikes and sell a bunch of monsters.”

“Got it. Do you need the meat of the 30 Furspikes?”

Mira shook her head.

“No.”

With the commissions delivered, the butcher retrieved a Karda from his apron.

Rainbow-colored lines were transferred to his Karda. The source of light came inside Mira’s pouch belt.

The cut-off time was long that it made the butcher mildly burrow his brows.

“You sure got a lot to sell today, Little Mira. Did you do a hunting spree or something?”

“Yes, something like that…”

Mira wryly smiled. Her lie can be seen through on her complexion but the butcher didn’t bother and returned a smile.

If the citizen of Thehill would know that the reason for the sundry creatures Mira had in her Karda, it would certainly cause turmoil.

It’s better to have the authorities handle that matter to the public.

“How about you, young man?”

“I’ve got some Hornballs that I wanted to sell.”

I took out the Karda and presented it to him.

“Do you want the material?”

“No.”

“Okay.”

Transfer… Transfer… Huh? Nothing is happening… Transfer… Stare… Transfer… Stare… Transfer…?

I SAID TRANSFER!

Isn’t it just like that? Think of the image and it’ll automatically trade-off. That’s just it, right?

This is awkward. We’re like having a card battle using our Karda.

It’s embarrassing. The owner stiffed up waiting for me.

“Try to visualize that the Hornball is transferring into his Karda, Reiji.”

Mira instructed which I did. Then, the rainbow-colored lines began lining out of my Karda into the butcher’s Karda.

I was one step below; I didn’t know that it should be directed toward his Karda.

I learned something new today... No, I’m just an idiot.

The butcher gave me a nod that I would regard as “it’s natural, don’t think about it.”.

After that, the butcher’s Karda ignited and formed into brown paper.

He began calculating as he scribbled on his table.

“Okay, for the young man. 7 Hornballs so 28 copper coins. For Little Mira, 54 Furspikes, 24 Mudboars, and 19 TwailFangs minus the 30 spikes, it’s about 618 copper coins. Do you want it exchanged in silver coins?”

“Yes please.”

The butcher took another Karda from his apron and it glowed shortly before he placed it back.

“Okay, the payment is done. You can sit there for a second.”

I got paid in just a flick. How convenient.

He had gone to the back which is only covered by a red curtain.

We sat at the chairs provided and there I resumed looking at the meat selection.

For 28 copper coins, I could purchase one kilo of Grizclaw. It’s sufficient for an entire day.

There are cheaper meats too and vice versa.

At the corner of my eyes, Mira was checking her Karda in brown paper form.

I recalled from Ava that exchanging copper for silver had a tax to it.

I think it’s about 10 percent and it rounds down if there’s a remainder.

“It won’t take long so you won’t be bored.”

Mira assured out of nowhere.

Although I don’t know why she said that but I’ll just continue to create a conversation.

“How long will it take?”

“Only several minutes. Some of the regulars at the inn work here and they’re excellent at doing it.”

Wait? They aren’t adventurers? With those big muscles…

“Are they retired adventurers?”

“No.”

“Are some of them adventurer or had a similar occupation?”

“No. All of them are ordinary citizens here in Thehill but if you include Chi then…”

“I see. I get it now, Mira.”

Yeah, I don’t get it at all…

After a few minutes, the butcher came out.

Rainbow-colored lines are being transferred once again, in reverse mode.

“Thank you.”

Mira lowered her head.

“You’re welcome. Please come by again.”

As we got out of the shop, Mira turned to me.

“I’m heading to the adventurer organization now. You can return to the mansion first to rest.”

There was a concern in her tone.

“I’ll come along. I also have something to do at the adventurer organization.”

There’s something I want to give to Ava. A small appreciation for her efforts.

“Then if something hurts tell me, okay?”

“Yes, yes, mom.”

I replied with a bit of sarcasm, closing one eye. Mira’s too worried but that’s a natural trait to hers.

“Mom?”

Mira tilted her head for a bit and her mouth went, ‘Oh’, and then giggled.

Along the way, I haven’t noticed until now that Mira’s actually popular with the people.

In the same manner with Mayer, the only difference would be that it's pure smiles.

With that, we entered the adventurer organization.

The adventurer organization still… looked deserted.

Besides us, only two adventurers are inside the building.

On the Information Booth, another maid was stationed.

She had pink hair, wolf ears, and a tail—the one who substituted with Ava yesterday.

“I’ll be submitting the quest now, Reiji. How about you?”

“I’ll be heading at the Information Booth.”

“Then whoever finishes first must wait at the old spot, okay?”

Mira said while pointing a finger at it.

I nodded and we split up.

“Welcome, I am Fenri Walret. How may I assist you, Sir?”

She gracefully bowed with a smile.

“U-um, is Ava here?”

“Yes, she is currently staying at the office, Sir.”

“Can you please call for her?”

“Understood, please wait for a moment, Sir.”

She sauntered to the back door.

Ava then showed up with a gleeful expression.

“Good afternoon, Reiji. Is there anything you need?”

I lifted my hand. A light emitted and the bag of cookies materialized.

“Tada! Here take it.”

It was the one the old lady gave me. I planned to eat it but I thought of giving it as a gift instead.

Girls love sweets, right?

“T-thank you.”

Ava was reluctant to accept it but her face was delighted, I think.

“What’s wrong? You don’t like cookies?”

She shook her head.

“Pardon me, I’m just not used to receiving gifts at work.”

"Is it against the policy?"

She shook her head.

"No."

Hmm, so it’s more of an ethical problem, huh. If that’s the case,

“Ava, can you lend me your hand?”

The heat of the bag is accumulating above my palm.

One minor fact about the Food Karda is that it can preserve the freshness of the food for a day.

On how it keeps it is because of the mana contained in the Karda itself.

“O-okay.”

Then I blatantly put the bag of cookies.

“There you can have it.”

Once she realized that, she slightly peered at the bag of cookies then at me.

Ava’s being morally challenged.

And when she’s about to say something, great timing, Mira was also done with the quest submission.

“Eat it while working or when you’re not busy, okay?”

I reminded her while darting away from the reception table.

“H-hey, Reiji…”

In the end, I somehow forcibly gave it to her. At least it was a success though.

… … …

Reiji and Mira had exited the building before Ava could voice out her response.

She looked at the bag of cookies on her palm and let out a sigh.

Simultaneously, Fenri slunk behind her and took a whiff of the aromatic fragrance.

“Sniff, sniff, that smells great.”

Fenri then shifted her sight toward the entrance door.

“Was that the guy you were talking to yesterday?”

“Yes.”

A straightforward reply came from Ava.

Fenri smirked as she looked back at the bag once more.

“Hehe, you got yourself some suitor—ow!”

She received a light smack on the forehead.

Ava quietly sauntered her way back to the office.

“Ava, at least give me one.”

“No. You’re on duty. Eating during workhours is prohibited by the institution.”

What a troublesome payment.

1