Chapter 18: Day Off
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had creamy color and a smooth texture. The simplicity of the design is what gives its beauty. As one could expect from a high-valued ceiling in a high-valued mansion.

One might be wondering why I am saying such eccentrical words.

Well, there is one explicitly intelligible reason to it.

I’m afraid the inevitable had finally come into me.

It’s definitely sore. If I move it, I’m going to be in ache for a while.

It still too early for breakfast. If I remember it correctly, Peia called me around eight.

“Ow, ouch. Damn, Reiji! What were you doing in your past life?”

Even getting up brings pain. I want to laze in bed but I need to be more productive.

That’s right. As a certified adventurer, I must follow Mayer and Ranju’s regimen.

“Okay! I’ll do at least fifty pushups.”

… … …

Is this what they call a morning breeze? I’ll make the window watching a morning routine.

Now that I got the sensation of the air, next time, I’ll do fifty… Next time.

“Okay! New objective. Tour around the mansion.”

I said to myself as I’d gone to the bathroom to wash.

And so, I’ve strolled on the third floor where my room was designated.

There was a total of twelve rooms and each of them had a bathroom, I assumed.

The middle part which is where the stairs were located, on its opposite side was a balcony.

Seemingly, it’s for moongazing or teatime but with less than a dozen residents, I wouldn’t think it will matter.

It had a simple set of a table and four chairs.

Although the furniture there is ready to pick up dust, there wasn’t any, not even a speck.

I commend the maids for that.

And based on the layout, it would be the same on the other floors so I didn’t bother to check it.

With that being told, I went to the first floor and then to the back door.

There’s a library on the backside of the mansion and I haven’t seen the place itself yet.

I might get information about Pastellia. It’s the country the Guild Master mentioned that I might be related with.

These sore arms are really bothersome, even my shoulders are stiff as hell.

While I was rotating my stiff shoulders, upon exiting the corridor, I heard the sound of clattering.

There’s a long hallway that leads to another door and beside it was a huge field.

Inside of it was Ranju and Mayer training with a wooden sword.

“Good Morning, Reiji. How is it?”

Mayer noticing me waved his hand. His face was fresh from the bakery.

Ranju looked towards me as well. His face was dripping with sweat.

I replied with a thumbs-up as I closed in on them.

I think Mayer got the message as he wryly smiled at me.

“Are you… up for training also… Reiji?”

Ranju pantingly asked while wiping his forehead.

My initial intention was to check the library and find something to read.

But now that he asked it, I might as well try to know the capabilities of my special ability—Visual Perception.

“Sure, I kind of want to try something with Mayer.”

“Got it… I’ll rest up for a bit.”

I didn’t say that it was needed at this instance. But oh well, the earlier the better.

Ranju took a seat on the lone tree in the middle of the field.

Mayer turned towards me.

“What did you want to try, Reiji?”

I pointed at my chest.

“Here, can you punch me here?”

Mayer burrowed his brows, apparently confused.

“Why?”

“It’s about my special ability. I have to know how far it can go.”

“If that’s what you want then tell me when you’re ready.”

I closed my eyes and breathed fully.

“Okay, I’m ready.”

“Are you sure about that, Reiji?”

“Yeah.”

Suddenly, I felt a strong push on my chest and an electrifying shock ran all over my body.

Out-balanced, I fell on the grass. I’m thankful that it wasn’t hard concrete.

Cough!

“REIJI, ARE YOU ALRIGHT?”

After a few plodding sounds, I opened my eyes just to see Mayer’s perplexed face in front of my vision.

“I’m fine. First of all, I was the one who asked it.”

Mayer extended a helping hand and I accepted it.

“Sorry, I tried my best to hold back.”

What the… He’s holding that back?

A little bit more and it was comparable to my regular strength.

“Did it help you on your special ability?”

“It does so can I have another request?”

Hearing me say that, Mayer made an expression that told: “Not that again, right?”

Therefore, I smiled with a “Yeah, it’s that again.”

He sighed.

“What is it this time?”

I turned around and pointed at the middle part.

“Can you hit me here?”

“Are you really sure about that, Reiji?”

Mayer had that fatherly tone. But if it’s in the name of research,

“I’m very sure. It’ll help me.”

And then, I took another full breath.

“Okay, I’m ready.”

Again, I met a shocking strike that felt like my heart would jump out of its cage.

I stumbled and fell on the ground but the good thing is that I had my hand for support.

Cough! Cough!

Ultimately, it all comes down to my own vision huh.

“REIJI, ARE YOU ALRIGHT?”

Mayer with the parental instincts kicking in.

“I’m fine, you don’t have to worry too much.”

“I’d never thought you were a masochist, Reiji. Sniffle, sniffle. I didn’t raise you to be like that. Sniffle, sniffle.”

While taking Mayer’s hand, I’ve responded to Aeri's sarcastic comment.

“I’m really sorry, mom. This is the real me. You can disown me to protect your lineage.”

She was sitting close to Ranju under the tree.

“Are you also here to train?”

“Nope. I’m here to tell you guys that breakfast is ready. The Guild Master and Mira are already in the dining room.”

Thus, we’ve made for the dining room.

… … …

The conclusion of my special ability.

The first disadvantage of Visual Perception:

It will not activate if my sight is hindered.

However, it doesn’t mean that it’s similar in a dark place.

After all, when the Guild Master used her wind magic, I had detected it even though it wasn’t perceptible to my sight.

The second disadvantage of Visual Perception:

It will not activate if it is in my blind spot.

This was a given but I just want to make sure of it.

To begin with, my special ability is like a sixth sense so I thought there might be some secondary effects.

However, there wasn’t. If someone would attack me from behind then I’ll be a dead man.

Furthermore, Visual Perception’s performance is reliant on my own reflexes.

After the countless times, it had activated, I could determine what the options Visual Perception will give.

If my mindset is settled on offense, it will be that. And it goes the same for the other.

It will keep improving as I continue to experience combat.

I’m getting more and more excited the more that I think of it.

Perhaps next time it could potentially have an upgrade.

After breakfast, the Guild Master called for us.

“Mira, Reiji, come with me to my office. I have an errand for you.”

She said as she wiped her mouth with a towel.

By the way, credit to the maids for the wonderful meal.

We tagged behind the Guild Master on the way to her office.

She unlocked one of her drawers and grabbed something inside.

Placing it in front of Mira, it was… A fancy box that is smaller than the size of my palm.

The design of the box was intricate. It had gold linings and was covered in a velvety fabric.

This is an expensive-looking box. It seemed to be no ordinary errand to me.

What more could the item inside be if the case looked valuable enough?

“Reiji, I want you to escort Mira to the church. As for the directions, Mira already knew where it would be.”

“Understood.”

“And for you, Mira. After taking this to the church, I want you to head directly to the adventurer organization for the conference.”

It must be the incident yesterday. It seemed that that phenomenon is no small matter at all.

Huh…?

Mira hasn’t responded so I made a short glance.

She had her stare at the fancy box. Her eyes were in deep thought just like yesterday at the Finral Forest.

“Mira?”

Hearing me, she immediately returned to her senses.

“Oh, uh, sorry. I understand Guild Master, I’ll be there.”

Mira grabbed the fancy box and held it near her chest.

“Let’s go, Reiji. And we’ll be going now, Guild Master.”

Mira quickly turned around as if she’s in a hurry.

Is she thinking about her report? Don’t tell me that she’s nervous around many people? I bet they are all high-ranking there. That must be it.

While I turned around, the Guild Master reclined on her chair.

Before I could fully turn, at the far end of my sight, the Guild Master made an expression that made me tremble.

Her eyes keened, glinted that made her demeanor terrifying, truly terrifying.

I might be wrong or just imagining it, after all, I only caught a glimpse of it.

I followed Mira but had to cease her movement. She can’t continue or rather she mustn’t continue.

I grabbed her by the shoulder.

“Oh, what is it, Reiji?”

“Mira, I’m really concerned about you.”

Mira was agape and as she adjusted her eyes to where my gaze was, she became flustered, her whole face converted to red.

“Sorry, let me change quickly.”

There she goes, running towards the stairs.

She was still in her sleeping garb—pajamas. As for my clothes, I never considered them as sleeping garb.

It’s more of a wealthy man’s attire, I suppose.

Damn, how much clumsier can Mira…?

“!”

And so, I ran to my fallen comrade at the stairs.

… … …

My jaw fell on the ground, metaphorically.

The way to the church felt like it was on the other side of the city which it was.

It did take a fair amount of time to get there but when we did.

But that wasn't the reason for my exaggerated expression.

IT’S SO HIGH!

The church that is.

Compared to the adventurer organization who had a hefty number of stairs, it didn’t stand a chance on this one.

It’s even higher than the city walls.

I’ve lost track of how many it was and had just estimated it around 300. Could be lower, could be higher.

We entered the door and there’s a long hallway with another door at the end.

The church had a tall ceiling maybe around 10 to 15 meters.

At the far end of the room, there's a large statue of a king donning armor was standing in a knight-like manner.

Above him was a beautifully crafted colored glass, it had floral carvings that when the sunlight hits it—giving an enamoring reverence.

However, I'm not a florist so I couldn't identify the types of flowers that had been sculpted.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

“Yeah.”

“Um, can you wait for me here, Reiji? I’ll just give this to the priest and have a conversation with him.”

“Sure. I’ll just take a seat right there.”

I pointed to one of the long benches.

Mira nodded and made her way to the room.

A bald old man that had the term priest of all over his personality came out after Mira knocked on the door.

Both of them proceeded inside.

… … …

If I did a full force Quick Leap, would I even reach the ceiling?

Waiting really sucks, I had nothing to do but observe around.

How about the glass panels? Or maybe the king’s crown?

I laid my head on the front bench.

This reminds me of my registration in the adventurer organization.

Mira had also to wait for me but she had a book with her.

I should’ve borrowed one.

I closed my eyes…

... ... ...

"Re...i...ji, wake up. It's time for school."

There was a fuzzy voice of a woman and a knocking sound.

"Ye...ah."

"Sorry, I couldn't cook your lunch today. I had to take care of your little brother late last night."

"No problem. I can just buy something at school."

When I opened my eyes, it was a different ceiling.

... ... ...

“Sorry, Reiji. I made you wait long.”

“U-uh, it’s okay. It’s nothing to apologize about.”

I dozed off unknowingly. I somewhat felt weird... Anyway.

Mira softly giggled as I stood up.

Is there something funny? I tilted my head in confusion.

“Why are you laughing?”

Mira pointed a finger on my face, specifically on my forehead.

“You had markings on your forehead.”

… Oh, she’s right.

There were calligraphies carved at the top of the backrest of the benches and it got printed on my forehead.

To be able to laugh that shallowly, this lady could be amused by anything.

“?”

Mira looked once again at the colored glass.

However, instead of a hearty smile…, how would I interpret it?

It seemed more of a bittersweet one.

“Let’s go, Reiji. The Guild Master also ordered me to be at the adventurer organization, so I need to be early. Sorry, if I couldn’t return with you.”

“It’s alright and I’ll escort you to the adventurer organization.”

“Eh? But you don’t have to.”

“No. The Guild Master clearly stated to escort you.”

Mira pondered on my words by placing a finger on her chin.

“But she said only at the church.”

“Hmm, did she? I couldn’t remember so I’ll just have to escort you, I guess.”

I smiled at the pondering lady.

We exited the church and were greeted by the intense winds.

I ignored that as there was a finer distraction that caught my eyes.

The lively landscape of Thehill.

The houses and the people shrunk yet still in magnificent detail.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

I said the exact line Mira used to appreciate the colored glass.

“Mm-hmm.”

Her hair fluttered with the with together with the pure white dress. It was extremely mesmerizing, however that smile…

“Mira.”

When she turned her head toward me, a finger nudged on her soft cheeks.

Without a word, I smiled once more and so did she. A hearty one this time around.

After a few minutes of walking, we’ve reached the adventurer organization.

Mira waved goodbye and proceeded to climb upstairs.

… … …

Busy as always.

At the main street, all the racket and all the noise of the carriages had taken home in my ears.

This is my destination though. I always had the urge to wander around Thehill ever since I came here.

And now, I can finally sate that desire.

If I just stride through this path, I’ll eventually enter the shopping district.

There are shopping districts all over Thehill such as the entrance we've arrived on had one.

However, this shopping district is the main one.

It’s a long line of stores ranging from accessories to clothes to weapons.

One thing that caught my interest was the apparel store.

The clothes that they sell are of lesser class and looked really affordable.

They certainly suited my taste but I hadn't brought my pouch belt with me.

Such a stroke of bad luck, indeed.

Anyway, I tried walking in to browse that store to check the price tag.

However.

“Hey, handsome. Want to try this perfume?”

“No, thank you.”

I got obstructed by a man holding perfume.

“How about this hat? It’ll look great on you.”

Another man got in front of me. He was definitely right although...,

“Sorry, I don’t have money on me.”

I heard a tongue click from him.

No matter, I just need to take a look…

“Oy, boy! If you take our promo, we’ll give you fifty percent off on the second one.”

“Come here, pretty boy. If you purchase any of our luxuries, I’ll give you a sloppy kiss.”

“Buy this and you’ll get another one for free.”

All of them are invasive to the level that they’re blocking the store.

This is bad. Before I knew it, they were trapping me.

[Visual Perception] – [Green] – [Red] – [Green]

It activated. No, this is my chance!

“… Hey, boy, where are you going?”

I slid through a lot of people and ran hastily to the nearest alley.

“Tch, we lost another potential customer. And he looked like a rich young man too. Next time be sure to corner them, okay?”

“Yes, boss!”

Working in the retail department is scary.

Good thing that there’s a lot of people tootling around and that there are crates stacked here.

Safe! I was saved yet again by my special ability.

And it was this clothes’ fault that I was about to get detained ruthlessly.

Well, the last lady was pretty though. She would even give me a kiss if I bought one of their products.

I’ll have to think of that later but if I went out now, it might cause me more trouble.

Anyway, now that I’m here…, hmm, this alleyway is pretty suspicious.

Not a narrow path but the settings and the vibe felt like it could lead me to a den of thieves.

Like once I made a turn this way, I’ll get robbed and maybe lose my life.

Who am I kidding? That’s practically impossible. This city is overseen by a Number.

It’s secured to the point that children can roam around for free.

It’s much more believable if I saw a bizarre scenario like…

… There’s a lost child…

1