Chapter 19: A Lost Child
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There’s a lost girl!

What should I do? Should I approach her and ask?

I was just wandering around and now I encountered a setting that gave contrary to my beliefs.

Isn't Thehill supposed to be a lost-free capital? Right?

The little girl looked really agitated and was on the verge of crying.

But that little girl, now that I got a closer inspection... She was familiar to me. If my memory serves right..., I am certain that she was one of the children from yesterday.

Okay, I've pondered enough and had revealed myself.

The little girl who would glance from her left and right had noticed me coming out.

"A-ah, waaaaahhhh!"

The screeching little girl without any reluctance ran at me and hugged onto my legs tightly.

I immediately recognized her when she turned towards me.

The little girl was the one with the middle tooth missing, a friend of Firi.

Did she got separated from her friends? No, given how they roam freely yesterday, she should know her way around Thehill.

Anyway, I crouched and patted her head.

"What's wrong? Can you tell big brother about it?"

First, I have to know what's troubling her.

"A f-fox had s-stolen m-m-my doll."

A fox?

Suddenly, her cries became slightly louder.

"Okay, okay. There, there."

I stroked her back to at least quell her crying.

Then again, a fox? I haven't seen any common stray animals on the street, much more a fox.

Although children never tend to make false statements, especially at this age.

"Can you tell me where you've last seen the fox? And its appearance?"

The little girl pointed her finger at the right of the alleyway fork.

Of course, there wasn't anyone there but it was still a clue.

"It was this big... A-and tall... A-and had grayish f-fur."

Based on how she described it, it must be an adult fox. Although I, myself, haven't seen one as well.

Searching for a fox in a large city... It's like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack.

"Okay, don't worry, big brother will help you."

I did say that but at the end of the day, if we haven't caught sight of the fox, we'll just have to give up on it or think of an alternative solution.

And thanks to that, she was calming down.

"Can you tell me your name, little girl?"

She wiped her tears with her hand and then smiled.

"My name is Nanapi but you can call me Nana. I also know who you are, big brother. You're one of the heroes of Thehill, the same as Uncle Mayer. Firi told us that you're big brother Reiji."

Children and their fantasies. Well, at least she's cheered up now.

"Okay, hold my hand and we'll search for the fox together."

"Yes."

The question is, how long will this take? It seemed that my day off will be spent searching for a fox.

Whatever, we have a prior lead. It went on the right side of that alleyway.

It would be pretty fortunate if the fox returned to that spot.

"... ...?"

Just as I thought of it, right then and there, the criminal reappeared at the crime scene.

It had a doll on its jaw and its yellow-green eyes were staring onto mine.

We found the culprit sooner than we expected.

"Ah! There it is, big brother Reiji!"

As Nana said that, the docile complexion of the fox changed into a mischievous one.

It made the most annoying smug face as if it's condescendingly mocking the two of us.

Furthermore, it's not running away even now.

"Okay, ride on my shoulders, Nana."

Nana compliantly settled herself on my shoulders, both of our expression towards the fox was the same—furiously triggered.

I know it was better for me to chase it alone but leaving a child here could be problematic.

The smugged face fox turned around while still looking at us, wagged its rear and tail.

Yeah. It's definitely asking for a challenge.

"Are you all set and ready there?"

“Yes.”

“Here we go!”

And the moment I took a step, it scooted off to the right route.

… … …

The chase began.

If I would characterize the fox, it would be cunningly clever.

It's not just a regular fox that would run here and there. It was obviously going on a less crowded street and onto the alleyways as if it wanted us to keep chasing.

The people we chanced upon on the street seemed to be bewildered. Luckily, I had my Visual Perception to navigate my movement around them, to avoid any hapless collisions.

A few of my muscles ached as I firmly stabilize Nana on my shoulders but I can ignore it.

The fox would occasionally glance with its smug face. It's super irritating that I sought to strangle its neck once I got my hands on that fox. 

Although someone seemed to be enjoying this other than the fox.

"Watch out for your head, Nana."

"Yes!"

Her enthusiasm was maxed out.

The fox swerved to the left by hopping onto the wall.

Hah! I could also do that, idiot.

[Visual Perception] – [Green]

A Quick Leap to jump off the ground and another Quick Leap to imitate the hop.

How's that, huh?

"Woah!"

Nana praised.

Another glance came from the fox and now it jumped on one crate then sprinted through the top of the wall.

I can't follow it there. But cheeky as the fox was, it made a huge error. At the end was the edge of the wall.

The fox had no other way but to jump off and if it descends, the suspension time it will have in the air will be my opportunity to capture it.

We're hastily advancing towards that end.

Hah! Where are you going now? If you jump down it's over for you. We have the upper hand.

I am superior regarding...

Just as I was mentally bragging about my victory, the fox just stopped and mindlessly turned around, and sprinted away.

"..."

Damn-! I got outsmarted!

With the smugged face fox glancing, I ragingly give pursuit once more.

… … …

Finally, after all that marathon, we managed to corner it or rather it cornered itself.

"You rascal, we have the advantage now!"

We were at a dead end of the alley. Boohoo, not so familiar with the place after all.

Never underestimate your opponent, take that advice to your next life.

Ara, ara, ara, looking for a way out?

"Nana, don't let your guard down."

"Yes!"

I had Nana, who had her hand expanded sideways, cover the exit while I carefully tread onto the fox, ruling out its escape.

I have to show it who's boss.

I maliciously thought while wriggling my fingers.

"Don't worry, we'll cook every part of you optimally."

I'll have Minna or the maids teach me how to prepare a fox stew. I don't even know if fox stew exists, whether it does or not, I'll have to confirm it myself.

Perhaps the fox had no way out, at its last attempt, it jumped vertically.

I angled myself to the perfect position to apprehend the fox.

[Visual Perception] - [White--->Green]

When the signal became green, I used Quick Leap to seize the fox... But what happened next was a bit uncommon.

Normally, when someone jumps, you would anticipate them to go down at some point.

That wasn't the case on this one. In what world does a fox float up straight to the roof of a building?

Oh right, this is a magical world.

But I had a bigger problem to tackle, I applied too much mana onto my Quick Leap.

At a high altitude and full speed.

“!”

I'M GOING TO CRASH ON THE WALL!

[Visual Perception] – [White ---> Green]

The line is pointed at the wall. I used my right foot to handle the impact and... Quick Leap.

At that moment, my heart and soul screamed "Parkour".

A perfect backflip.

It was my first time doing it. It felt incredible.

"Woaaaaahh!"

It wasn't me who screamed but Nana, although I had the same expression she had.

I couldn't hide my amazement at all.

Nana ran to me, her hand was raised in the air. We both celebrated with a high five.

"Amazing! Big brother Reiji, amazing! That was so cool!"

"I know, right? ... Wait!"

Wait, that's not it! This isn't the time to be celebrating. The fox! Where's that fox?!

It wasn't on the rooftop anymore. Have we lost it?

While I was thinking of this, at the entrance of the alleyway as if going up for another challenge was the fox with the annoying smug face.

"Hold onto me."

Without any reply, I carried Nana princess-style.

I'll torture... I'll torture that darn fox and make a stew out of its mutilated limbs. I'll boil it alive at a temperature that it'll suffer the longest.

"Big brother Reiji, you look scary."

"Hahaha! I'm just tired that's all."

Tired of being composed, that is.

I'll haunt that fox even if it's on the other side of the world.

… … …

Is what I declared but the fox got out of the capital gate.

It was a wild goose chase. We can't afford to chase it anymore, even with the low number of monsters in Thehill, the outside is dangerous.

And I'm still not accustomed to the vicinity of the capital.

The guards patrolling on the gate looked at us with a mystified expression.

"Is there something wrong, young man?"

One of the guards asked.

They probably didn't see the fox going out and only noticed us.

Once I caught my breath, I shook my head.

“No.”

In the distance, I can still perceive that smugged face fox, waiting for us.

The heck is wrong with it? Did it get abandoned by someone and now wants to cause misery to others?

I really want to strangle it. However.

"Sorry, Nana, this is as far as we can go."

"It's okay, Mama warned me that it's dangerous outside. It's j-just a doll anyway, I can still p-play with my f-friends."

Oh, I forgot about the doll.

But seeing her holding back her tears really made me uneased.

"You don't have to cry, little miss."

One of the guards kneeled and placed a hand on Nana's head.

"Can you tell us what happened, young man?"

After telling them the story, one of the guards took out a Karda and materialized some copper coins.

"I see. Then take this, young man. Just buy the little girl a new doll."

"T-thank you."

Hearing that, Nana's spirit rose and a huge smile came out of her face.

“Wah! Thank you, Mr. Guard.”

All's well that ends well.

That's when the other guard tapped me on the shoulder.

"Hey, young man, I know sometimes men need to let go, but this time you needed to defeat that thing."

He was lending me his iron sword while his line of sight was at the gate.

I looked at that spot again, the fox was still there with the doll on its jaw.

So it's not only my annoyance that got stirred up by that fox.

"Let's make a stew out of it."

The guard added.

I handed Nana the copper coins and nodded as I accepted the iron sword.

Now that I know that there's a fox stew, my conviction is steeled.

From now on, I'll call that fox "Stew".

… … …

We've been in circles for several minutes. The fox obviously just wanted to fool around.

On a positive aspect, I haven't encountered a single monster around the area.

As we were nearing the bushes, Stew ejected the doll from its jaw and made the smuggest face it could as if it had gotten satisfied.

I felt all of my veins bulging out from its corral. Stew was born for the sake of vexing people.

“You—”

“Kahahaha!”

"!"

Stew made a strange sound.

Do foxes suppose to sound like that? It sounded like a demon from hell... Not like I've been in hell before though.

Is it possible that Stew was a demon all this time?

While I had the sword in a stance, aimed at the unknown creature in front of me, Stew had gone inside the bushes.

Despite staying put, keeping my hostile nature, the fox never showed up again.

Is Stew gone? There were no signs of Stew moving in the bush. It might spook me if I let my defenses down.

Nonetheless, I cautiously proceed towards the doll, with my eyes on that specific bush.

I grabbed the doll and at the corner of my eyes, I immediately identified the doll.

Still, with my eyes on the bush, I moved the doll to check on it.

It was a doll version of the Guild Master. Although there was a huge deficiency in the breast size.

I guess for appropriation purposes that they did that.

I wonder who else got a doll version of their own.

"Good morning."

Huh?

The voice came from my left side. A man's voice greeted me.

That was practically impossible, I was overly cautious, I even examined the surrounding before going in.

… Who is he?

1