Chapter 23: The Blonde-Haired Knight
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The whole inn, which usually was brimming with noise, turned completely silent.

Before I could even check everyone's reaction, the blonde hair knight walked towards us, particularly in front of Mira.

“Are you from Guild Limea?”

She said with formality yet her tone was slightly aggressive.

"Y-yes."

Mira replied. She was flabbergasted, the same as me.

"May I have your quest?"

"Eh?"

Out of nowhere, the blonde hair knight demanded.

"Don't worry, it's a trade-off, I'll pay back the money that you've spent on purchasing it with supplementary compensation. Moreover, I'll be extremely appreciative of your courteousness and shall consider it a debt."

Again, she sounded the same. Mira was still in shock, perhaps thinking of what to do.

Simultaneously, I tried to look for backup. Luckily, this place is filled with it... Or so I thought. Her so-called protectors averted their gazes upon meeting mine, pretending to be deaf with the situation.

"I beg of you, please hand me your quest."

The blonde hair knight bowed, deeply. As if being forced to comply, Mira submissively took out the Quest Karda from her pocket.

"Y-yes."

Hey, you don't have to do that... You were even puffing your chest out just moments ago for acquiring that quest.

Contrary to the frowning Mira, the blonde hair knight took out her own Karda—which is probably the Storage Karda—with a gleeful smile.

Damn, this haughty lady is ticking me off.

"Wait!"

I butted in, I had to.

Both of them cocked their heads toward me, each with a different expression.

The blonde hair knight knitted her brows.

"Taking someone's quest without stating a valid reason. Not only that, forcing someone to trade with you, isn't that disrespectful of you?"

"Huh? I'm not being disrespectful. I'm even compliant to pay a supplementary fee."

This woman... Could she even hear her own voice just now?

"Hah! I never knew that forcibly demanding something as long as you pay for it, was considered okay? Does being overly pushy give you supremacy over other people? Is that how you get what you want, is that it?"

On my peripherals, those stout guys are cheering for me, silently with gestures.

Those muscle-headed phonies! At least do something, you even swore to protect Mira at all costs.

The blonde hair knight turned to Mira and pointed herself.

"Am I being pushy?"

Mira simply nodded.

Knowing how heedless her manners were, the blonde hair knight was blown away. Maybe her stupefaction exceeded its gauge, she was erected still.

Did I feel bad about it? Certainly, no.

"You're even wearing a knight uniform but your attitude doesn't befit it at all."

I said that sarcastically. I hope she had learned her lesson by now.

"I-I didn't m-mean it to be like that."

"?"

I looked at her. She was fully flushed, from ear to ear, and her sight is cast downward. Even more, she was fidgeting in an uncomfortable manner as if she was holding her bladder.

Eh? I know I've been arrogant with how I constructed my statement, even overemphasizing some, but I never thought she would feel very ashamed of it.

And now, Mira, the one who got maltreated not too long ago, was tentatively consoling the maltreater—herself.

Eh? Did I just make myself the villain here?

"S-sorry, it's not l-like..."

Stop! Stop fidgeting! I'm getting embarrassed by it too.

The apex of her head was about to erupt. To boot it up, Mira was still sympathizing with her.

You know she just bossed you around literally minutes ago.

"!"

Oh yeah, that's right. The other two—Ranju and Aeri. Now that I think about it, they were supposed to be helping me dilute...

Yeah, they're not going to be of any help now.

The two of them had a demeanor similar to spotting a celebrity randomly, if so, then this person must be a famous adventurer.

It's no use then. I'll just have to take care of this myself.

"At least explain to us why you needed the quest."

I somewhat kept the condescending attitude. It's not to intimidate her but to speak on equal terms.

"U-um, I wanted... the quest item..."

Stop fidgeting! Please.

When I was about to say that, she took a deep breath and hastily followed with a bow.

"Forgive me! I have overstepped my boundaries."

Being softhearted, Mira delightfully accepted her sincere apology by nodding. The two reconciled and with that, Mira invited her to take a seat as she tapped the chair.

The blonde hair knight was obviously reluctant but a nod of approval from me made her do it.

Suddenly and allegedly, I have the high highest authority here, somehow. I just rectified her rude behavior, that's all.

By the way, she sat in between me and Mira.

"Mira, what's the quest item anyway?"

I shifted my head at Mira, but getting the fanboy and fangirl in my field of vision, I adjusted them out.

"I think it's Puff Cottons."

"Mira? Are you perchance Ms. Mira Latreia?!"

Hearing Mira's name, the blonde hair knight's complexion widened. Mira smiled as a sort of affirmation.

In response, the blonde hair knight drooped, making a sullen face.

"It's fine, it's fine."

Mira comforted. Sighing to regain a bit of composure, the blonde hair knight lowered her head a bit more.

"Again, I apologize for committing such terrible behavior and being blinded by my vain. For now, let me introduce myself as to impart formal etiquette."

She placed a hand on her chest as she lifted her head.

"I'm Freya Revelsword. A knight of Guild Apata and an A Rank adventurer. Despite what I did priorly, it's a pleasure to be in acquaintance with you—my fellow Numbers Guild. I'll have this event ingrained in my mind and keep an eye for future mistakes."

After that, as a means of reply, it was our turn.

Our introduction was similar to when I became an official member of Guild Limea. I suppose even with other Guilds that kind of pattern still abided. Or does it only regards the Numbers Guild?

Speaking of which, Numbers Guild is comprised of five guilds, Guild Limea and Guild Apata are two of them.

Not that it matters now. Besides, I needed to apologize too.

"Sorry for being arrogant, Freya."

Freya shook her head.

"I was at fault. You had every sanction to reprimand me."

Now resuming the introduction, it was the other two's turn but being in a state of total euphoria, I was the one who'd done it for them.

"Ahem. The one with the headband is Ranju. And the elf here is Aeri."

It was a terse introduction but the two weren't retaliating from it. More so, they were unresponsive to it.

Freya wryly smiled.

"Nice to meet you, Aeri, Ranju."

No vocal reply... And so, in order to let the conversation flow, we talked about her need for Puff Cotton.

"Is it such a rare item? The Puff Cotton."

"No. It's common but it's also a seasonal item so few quests had them. To add on, they aren't available in the market as of now, as all of them are being used in production."

The conversation kept going on.

So to summarize her side of the story.

Since she came here in Thehill for a vacation, she had been patiently waiting for it to come up on the quest list. Coming every day, in and out of the adventurer organization. And when it finally showed up, which is today, she had to write a weekly letter to her Guild Master. Hence, missed the chance to apply for it.

So for what reason does she need the Puff Cotton?

"It's for our family pet's vestment."

... You heard it right, that wasn't a joke.

But now I understood why she approached us like that. Yearning for it and then when it came out, it was taken by someone without her notice. Of course, anyone would be mad if that occurred to them.

"So does anyone of you need the quest item?"

Mira denied. The two also denied it..., rather synchronously.

"Well, there you have it. It's all yours, Freya."

With a jaunty smile, she inclined toward me.

"Really?! ..."

 However, she broodingly reclined to the chair as if something bothered her.

"But to receive it without any contribution... I cannot agree to such."

"Then, why don't you join us tomorrow."

Mira connected. That was also my line of thought if ever Freya responded like that.

She seemed to have a code of honor based on how affected her dignity was when I reprimanded her.

Relaxed, Freya let out a faint exhale.

"Thank you."

She said with gratitude.

"Here are your orders."

Unexpectedly, the owner of the inn, Chi, who should've stepped up from the beginning—had given us our orders.

After setting down all of the meals, she winked at me like saying to me "good job on dealing with it!".

I winked back with an "I better get a free meal coupon from you, okay?".

"It's time for me to bid my farewell here. I'll only pester your meal if I stay here. Enjoy your dinner, everyone."

But before Freya could stand up, Mira held her by the hand.

"Have you already had your dinner? If not, why not eat with us?"

Mira's eyes were full of luster.

Give up, Freya. Even I can't oppose upon looking at those charms.

Thus, Freya surrendered and sat once again. Chi handed a menu over to her.

"... I'll have a roasted Deentler and buttered potatoes."

"Okay."

After she handed the menu back, I motioned to Freya to cup her ears, which she mimicked it, doubtingly.

“ONE ROAST DEENTLER AND BUTTERED POTATOES, HONEY!”

“GOT IT, HONEY!”

As expected, the deafening volume almost got her.

... ... ...

While deferring for the food to come, we got to socialize with Freya more—on why she's having a vacation here in Thehill and so on.

It appeared that she was tasked to restock Guild Apata's armory in preparation for the upcoming Monster Season and Sky Tower. Coincidentally, one of the greatest blacksmiths lives here in Thehill.

Mr. Aeros, I think I've heard that name elsewhere... Oh! It was the name Ranju had spoken the other day.

His works were so popular that everywhere in the land had to make an appointment primarily to be able to purchase a custom-built weapon from him. It can be done personally or by mail.

I already had my S Rank Weapon Invoker gauntlet so I won't be needing to buy any.

On another note, the Sky Tower is located in Freya's country—Hernow—and is deemed to be an Ancient Domain that had been developed since dawn. Exceptional materials, minerals, etc. can be gathered in the said place and had hidden secrets stored within.

Having said that, the extra order had come in and we all ate.

By the way, Freya will stay here in Thehill for the time remaining before the Monster Season which is about two months from now on.

There's also the awaited Monster Festival which is about a month from now on.

… … …

We left the inn on a peaceful note. Until the end, the stout guys were silent, not a single grumble.

On the other hand, Mira and Freya became best friends. For the other two..., it would be a bit redundant to tell.

Chiefly, it was a nice change of mood for me.

"Are you sure you don't need payment?"

Freya asked, troubled by Mira's good deed.

"Mm-hmm."

The cost for the meal and even the division on the quest, Mira refused all of it.

"It's no use to argue with Mira. I tried doing the same but she's very adamant on it."

It was on my first dinner at the inn, albeit mine was the meal only.

At my intervention, Freya compliantly smiled and Mira giggled.

"If that's the case, see you tomorrow at eight in the morning—at Guild Limea's headquarters."

"Yes, goodnight."

"Goodnight."

We watched Freya until she had gone out to the intersection.

As we're about to continue our walk, two heavy grips were dealt on each side of my shoulders.

Ouch! My painful muscle sores.

Pulling me in, the two spooked on each side, filled with vitality. They had an extreme change in their mood, although I wished they didn't—

"Amazing! you're amazing Reiji. You could talk like that to the Elegant Blade. I was so nervous I can barely ingest what I was eating. I’ve met one of my favorite adventurers and now she's coming with us. Yahoo! This is a dream come true…"

"I didn’t know you were this awesome, Reiji. Tell me this isn’t a dream. Can you pinch me Reiji? How can you even talk to her without even getting frantic? Please, tell me your secret, teacher. We're in the same guild after all…"

—Because this is why...

"Okay, okay, I get it, I understand so knock it off, you two. We better prepare ourselves tomorrow so that we don’t disappoint your idol."

I couldn’t understand anything from them, I don’t even know who’s talking who.

“Finally, I can see the Elegant Blade in action.”

“Me too, I can learn and mirror her techniques.”

So Freya’s called the Elegant Blade. That’s a pretty cool moniker.

I turned to Mira who was gleefully smiling at the dumbfounded duo.

"How about you, Mira? Do you have any moniker?"

"Eh?"

"Well, you're quite famous on the other guilds so maybe I thought you also had one."

Mira lowered her gaze then smiled.

"I do... I'm called the Miracle Priestess."

It was a cool moniker indeed yet I felt like I shouldn't have asked that. Because now I finally knew what's behind that smile.

That bittersweet smile of hers…

"You better become as amazing as the Elegant Blade, Ranju. We can’t afford to have a clumsy swordsman in the future."

"Huh?! I’m not clumsy at all. And more so, I’ll become the strongest swordsman there is. Mark my words."

Ranju claimed, his confidence was off the roof.

"That would be a shitty future then."

"What did just say?! You flat-chested vegetarian?"

"Huh?! Try cleaning your ears, you monkey brain."

Hearing the two returning to their former selves, Mira giggled.

Even if it was real or just an act, I'm thankful, you two.

… … …

Damn, I can't sleep!

Even though all of my energy had been depleted, my mind kept bugging me of Mira.

To make that kind of expression from her moniker, she probably had suffered a terrible past.

Even in the church, she made the same one. Whatever was in that box caused her akin to her moniker.

... It has nothing to do with me. Besides, I shouldn't meddle with other's problems anymore. I too had my own.

Speaking of which, the long blue hair man gave me an ability—the ability to make me experience tremendous pleasure.

Yeah, that still sounded wrong...

I grabbed my Ability Karda from my pouch belt.

———

Active Ability: Swift Strike I, Armor-Piercing Strike I, Quick Leap I  

Passive Ability: Speed Up I

Special Ability: Visual Perception

———

Nothing changed. That was all just a bogus cajolery. I knew he couldn't be trusted.

Sigh. I guess I’ll just try the most basic of the basic methods to fall asleep.

Counting sheep.

… … …

At the balcony, on the second floor of the mansion, underneath the luminosity of the divine celestial, gazed a beautiful maiden.

Resting above the cemented trail, below her grasp was a book that contained a childish tale.

Such memorabilia with significant value had given her an unforgettable feeling.

Was it a pleasant reminiscence? Or was it a desolate nightmare?

Who knows?

Then as if a memory had been stimulated, tears began to flow down her delicate cheeks.

Still, she could only stare at the moonlight. Still, she held that book dearly. From her very own heart, from her very own soul.

0