Chapter 24: Amrel Village
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The early morning came.

After a bit of exercise, I took myself to the bathroom and changed into my freshly laundered adventurer clothes.

I feel much better than yesterday, the fatigue was almost gone. The quality of the fluffy and springy bed was excellent for rejuvenation.

Okay, everything is done. Let's go, maximum effort! Just kidding.

At the lobby downstairs, Freya was already there with her hand on the pommel of her sword.

Even her sword looked super expensive. That's a top-class guild for you.

"Good morning, Freya. Quite an early bird, eh? There's still half an hour before we leave."

Hearing me, Freya cocked her head over to me.

"Good morning, Reiji. Respectfully, it's a knight's duty to be punctual at all times. There's no excuse to tolerate any tardiness as it'll cost delay."

... Hmmm, is it just me, or Freya's somewhat different today? Her feedback was kind of fixed and had an archaic tone in it.

Nah, it might just be me.

"Oh, this reminds me, Reiji. One of your esteemed retainers had made a reasonable request towards mine. The essentials needed on our journey are now being furnished in the kitchen. Shall you carry on with the task?"

"Sure~, I'll get it... Have Mira and the others come down here?"

"Mira had already made her way to the Guild Master's office to delineate where we'll be at. As for our other companions—Ranju and Aeri, pardon, they have not yet emerged from my sights."

"I see. I'll be getting our food now."

Yeah, Freya's oddly different today. She had the same vibe with my embarrassing pose, it's making me cringe.

Regardless, this was my first time going to the kitchen but if I would make a rough guess..., it's at the back of the mansion, the library was on the right side so by deduction, the left side was the only one left.

Hence, I was correct—though just from the outside, you can already tell that it was the kitchen.

There was no door and what separates it from the hallway was just a large semi-circular aperture.

Above the table were two baskets and a dozen of wooden bottles.

That must be our food.

After dematerializing it within my Food Karda, since I was in the kitchen anyway and my throat got parched up from the exercise, I looked around for some water to drink.

The kitchen was spacious—actually, everything in the mansion was spacious.

I found a pitcher at the end of the kitchen.

After a few steps toward the pitcher, at the corner of the kitchen, I saw a plumpy maid cutting vegetables.

She was hidden by a divider wall and only her upper half can be seen from her. Also, she was faced in the opposite direction, so I couldn't discern her profile.

Should I greet her? She seemed plenty busy so I figured maybe next time. I don't want to disturb her from her work.

Finally, I got to the pitcher and poured a glassful.

Okay. The felt refreshing, dampening the dryness in my throat.

As I was gleefully drinking, a silhouette loomed beside me.

"Good morning, Master Reiji. I am Cassio Tanfell—a maid serving here in Guild Limea. A pleasure to meet you."

By the time I craned my neck, she was bowing..., and as she realigned herself, my eyes followed the lone horn on her forehead.

... She's huge and tall! The plumpy maid that I thought was actually huge and tall! Even a head taller than Mayer.

Again, a single horn on her temple. She had fairly dark skin and hair. She also possessed a mature personality like the other maids. I haven't seen any in Thehill but she's from the oni race.

While I was blown away by her appearance, Cassio crouched and with a rag, wiped the floor.

I got too startled that the water from my glass accidentally spilled out.

"A-ah! Sorry, Cassio. I didn't intend to do that."

"No, it's my mistake for suddenly startling you, Master Reiji. There's no need for you to lower your head. Our race is quite uncommon in Thehill so a casual reaction such as that is natural. In fact, I may only be the oni here in the capital."

A casual reaction? Isn't that kind of rude to her race?

"U-um, you can call me Reiji, Cassio... And thank you for taking care of all of my needs."

Is there anything else to add? I feel so dumb for overreacting.

Right then, I heard Cassio chuckle. Incidentally, I still had my head lowered.

"Well then, excuse me for doing this, Reiji."

... Eh?

With a moderate pull onto her chest, Cassio embraced me close to her and carefully stroked my hair.

Warmth and softness were delivered to my complexion.

Soft? Speaking of softness... H-her breasts are soft! And because she's huge, Cassio also has ample breasts. It felt super soft.

"This is an old tradition of the oni people, used to welcome and comfort a member of the tribe. We are bound to make mistakes and there as a guild, we'll have to forgive and help each other. Don't overthink on it, Reiji."

Still stroking my hair, Cassio purred thoughtfully.

I suppose Cassio was right. My sulking will only breed uneasiness. I should just sincerely accept it for what it was.

"Then please try to make a mistake next time so that I can repay you."

Cassio chuckled again.

"Yes, I will try my best next time."

… … …

"There you are, Reiji—Huh? What happened to you? Your face is beet red. Did you sunbathe your head or something?"

Aeri with her hand rested on her head leisurely asked. The other appeared muddled by my return.

"No, this is nothing."

"Are you sure? You're not sick? Or feeling unwell?"

Mira looked in absolute distress.

"Yes, I'm really fine, Mira."

"If you feel anything hurting just tell me, okay?"

I felt a little bad when I nodded to her.

For a virgin young man like me to experience the excellence of those big bazookas—no, I'm not even sure if I'm still a virgin.

Stop! I shouldn't think of such deviance. But whoever made that tradition, I pray for you to have a great afterlife.

... ... ...

Outside the mansion, there's a parked horse-drawn carriage.

Mira spoke to the coachmen of our destination while the others board the carriage.

As expected of Guild Limea, they don't hold back even to a minimal degree.

It's in the same league as the prestigious carriages I've seen yesterday leaving Thehill.

The size of the carriage could fit up to eight people, human size, of course.

"Okay, everything's set now. We're departing for Amrel Village."

Mira declared as she was the last to board.

Now, onto my very first long journey!

… … …

Along the way, I thought that there would be some sort of tension field between Freya and the two.

There was initially, it seemed that the two were still in la-la land. However, Mira had completely shattered that.

One of her strong assets is to neutralize any unnecessary awkwardness by being oblivious to it. The term personal boundaries never existed in her dictionary. It was proven and tested by me, of course.

Thanks to Mira nonchalantly casting about with everyone, the trip to Amrel Village became peppy. Although Ranju was still having a hard time conversing with Freya, and could only somehow reply decently.

It seemed to me that he has difficulty speaking with women in general.

Right now, they are talking about Freya's adventure.

"Really? You did something like that?! Amazing!"

"It's not that impressive. My companions mostly did the work and I only made the final strike. Despite that, I think they should hold similar recognition."

While Freya and Aeri chattered as if they were two peas in a pod, I've materialized the basket and several wooden bottles for breakfast.

The basket contained sandwiches. The other one had the same as well so either of them would suffice. Opening the lid, a savory scent wafted through the air. From just the smell alone, my mouth salivated.

"Sniff, sniff. Who made those?"

Aeri asked while sniffing the scent from the other side.

"Cassio was there so she probably made the sandwiches."

"No, it was Rina who made the sandwiches this morning. I was there when she prepared those."

Mira rectified my response to Aeri.

"That's great, knowing Rina made it, I'm getting hungrier. Freya you're going to love it. After all, Rina makes the best meals in the mansion."

Another maid, huh? Let me see here..., Peia is the underaged maid, Kata is the cat beast-woman maid, and Cassio is from the oni race... Stop, Reiji!

So four in all.

Once I took a piece, I distributed the basket and the water bottles around.

"Can I have another water bottle, Reiji?"

"Sure."

When I handed it to Mira, she took an additional piece of sandwich and made her way to the small window in the front.

She knocked on the small window. The coachman wearing a top hat opened it.

"Oh, Miss Mira. What do you need?"

"Here's a sandwich. We're having breakfast right now so please take this with you while you drive."

"Ah, thank you. The guys will be jealous of me if I told them this."

As a form of gratitude, the coachman tipped his hat to Mira.

... He's one of the stout guys at the inn. The impression of the suit made him decent enough to be unrecognizable.

That aside though, Aeri was right. The sandwich was definitely delicious.

Now that we're settled, I materialized the only Karda I haven't checked up on yet—the Map Karda.

The paper card ignited and transformed into a large brown paper about the size of three papers combined.

Incorporated on the Map Karda was an indicator on the middle—a minuscule triangle which is precisely me—and various shapes that represented the terrains.

Magically, the background of the map moved along as we proceeded.

I couldn't determine the specific distance but it was beyond a kilometer radius per se. Though it cannot detect other lifeforms, it's pretty convenient for exploration or when adrift in the wilderness.

I spent the rest of the trip either listening to them or viewing nature outside the window.

The journey went on like that.

... ... ...

The Amrel Village.

A remotely small village that could fit inside the mansion's land. They had no armory nor weaponry shops, only inns, and taverns.

The quarter of the village was built with barns and crops. I suppose the village's primary source of income was that other than boarding adventurers.

There are few adventurers stationed at the borders.

The security here seemed lax being the addressed sentinels are lazing around. But I guess it's due to the lacking presence of monsters that they can do that.

Speaking of which, even on our way here, no monsters have spooked up to us. Not that I would want that.

We all headed to the mayor's house.

Even though it was the largest one in the village, in comparison to the houses in Thehill, it was practically average.

In any of the small villages or towns that had no established adventurer organization, it is customary to notify the person with the highest echelon. This is to inform them of the business a party would have. Furthermore, in case a party is missing or hadn't returned prior to the date and time stated, the head of the village or town shall file a report to the capital as soon as possible.

With that being said, we are now inside the mayor's office.

"I see. Other than hunting 40 Armgolems, you also need to collect 30 iron ores at the underground mine."

"Yes."

For affirmation, Mira nodded to the mayor.

"We'll carry this venture with utmost result and care. We're sure to take the best course of action so you won't fall into trepidation.

"Y-yes."

Freya vigorously thumped a fist on her chest. The mayor doesn't know what to respond to it.

Her knight switch—let's just call it that—is a mystery, there's neither a trigger to it nor was it done deliberately. When we were on the carriage, she's actually normal... Or rather this is the normal one? I hope not.

Following that, the door behind us creaked. Entering on it was a small, decrepit old lady carrying a bowl filled with something.

"Ah, that's my mother. She loves to give candies to the visitors visiting here. You may take some if you want."

She looked like a grandmother that would give her grandchildren everything they want.

The grandmother first gave Mira a piece of candy. Before giving it, she tapped Mira's palm twice. She then did the same to Freya. Next was Ranju, Aeri, and finally me.

It must be the grandmother's way of displaying her affection, sort of like a good luck charm.

"Be safe on your quest, Mira, everyone."

While we ate the candy, the mayor conveyed his blessings.

After we left the mayor's house, Mira spoke to the respectable stout man.

From here on out, it seemed that we'll be traveling by foot. Besides, the underground mine is nearby.

On our way to the exit, the villagers smiled at us and especially at Mira. Even here, her popularity was evident.

"?"

Before leaving though, I caught sight of someone standing in the middle of the village.

It was a fully cloaked person, from below to top, I couldn't see a shred of skin, but judging on the framework, she's a woman. 

What caught my attention is that she was dressed differently from the present adventurers here, likewise the villagers themselves.

To begin with, the population of Amrel Village wasn't that high so she really stood out. But being that the other people didn't mind her must mean that she's not suspicious.

As I was thinking of that, her head shifted towards me. I instinctively turned my eyes away.

... I think our eyes had met for a second but I'm not sure, her face was concealed.

I know it's unpleasant to speak of others but just in case.

"Hey, Ranju."

I whispered and sneakily pointed a finger in the cloaked woman's direction.

"What do you think of the cloaked woman over there? Isn't it too hot to have her cloak on?"

Ranju glanced then got confused.

"Huh? There's no one there."

"Eh?"

He checked again then back to me.

I looked back as well. Ranju was right, the cloaked woman was gone.

... Was that just my hallucination? If it was...

Creepy!

... ... ...

We got outside of the village and traversed through the woods with ease. Apparently, there were no monsters in the vicinity, due to the adventurer organization administering of complete extermination of any monsters near civilizations. According to Mira when I asked about it.

At that end of the woods, Mira stopped and faced us.

"Everyone, gather here and materialize your Ranklets."

As per her command, we brought it out.

Freya's Ranklet glimmered silver, indicating that she's an A Rank; Mira's Ranklet glimmered blue; Ranju and Aeri's Ranklets glimmered yellow; mine glimmered green.

The discrepancies in our rank were really far and away. I felt left out.

Confirming each of them, Mira nodded and at the thump of her staff, a magic circle shone underneath our soles. It was the party commencement.

"Ah, this feels great."

"Yeah, what is this?"

Suddenly, Mira and Aeri were taking soothingly deep breaths..., actually, all of them except me.

Was I supposed to feel something? They all looked like they were in heaven... Wait, am I being left out?

"That was comforting."

Mira said that and all of them agreed.

Before I could even ask what that was, Freya cleared her throat, catching all of our attention.

"Ahem. Before we charge onto the battlefield, I wish for all of you to cast your eyes on me and listen to my short oration."

Freya made the same gesture, the one in the Amrel Village, she placed a fist on her chest and straightened her back.

"I am Freya Revelsword. A knight of Guild Apata and a transitory member of this party. Let me kindly weaken the burden you are carrying in your hearts and minds by giving my optimum potential..."

Ignoring her long speech and dramatized motions, I activated the Mana Shield in my gauntlet and tested its comfortability.

It still amazes me how light and natural they were on my hands.

I thought it would last half a minute but after five minutes of wasting time.

"... Hence, my brethren, we shall return with our souls fulfilled."

"""WOAHHHH!"""

The three of them captivatingly hailed... Even Mira got hooked into it.

Somehow I'm getting an implication on what makes her knight on.

We advanced further and ultimately arrived at our destination.

We arrived at a slightly cavernous crater on an isolated barren land. Piles of sand and mounds of stones littered around the crater and in its center was a huge hole.

Unlike the usual tunnel leading to the underground mine, the entrance to this underground mine was a huge hole.

Well, I do think it's still regarded as a tunnel—just in a vertical position instead of a horizontal one.

Nevertheless, we climbed down the slightly cavernous crater and walked towards the huge hole.

0