23. Field Trip
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 23: Field Trip

 

“John, you can come out!” From our future shop, a way too normal middle-aged man comes out. Nothing stands out about him. His outworn tunic, covering him from neck to ankles, is plain grey and riddled with holes and wrinkles. He has a short beard and mustache, long dark hair, just your average citizen.

“John is the owner of the shop. He had problems with suppliers and payments, so he had to close it. That’s also why he is willing to sell it to us.”

“Nice to meet you all.” John slightly lowers his head, acknowledging our presence. “Lillia has already filled me in with the details. While I would love to operate my own shop,” he pauses, and his eyes take him to another place, probably memories of old times, “I don’t have the funds nor energy to do that any more.” He looks to be in his forties at most; what can have happened? Maybe it’s just a psychological burnout? “I will do my best to make sure all your merchandise sells out. You can go with your mind in peace.”

“Hey, Lillia.” I whisper into her ear, “how much do you say we are paying him?”

“Oh,” she whispers back, “he was willing to go on commission. He will be taking 5% of what he sells.”

“Really? Isn’t that a bit… stingy for our part?”

“Well, I did offer a salary, but he insisted. When we get the shop, however, I plan on getting a contract for him, if that’s ok.”

“Sure! I mean, I feel like we are cheating him.”

“Yeah…”

I trust she’s tried to convince him; she is not the type to swindle others. Well, none of us are, I’d like to believe. “Well then,” I raise my voice for everyone to hear, “I trust you will do a perfect job, John. Let me thank you in advance for all the help.” I wear my friendliest smile while I shake his hand. “Then, we’ll be going! Expect us to bring you some more loot, John.” I take a last look at him and turn to leave. “Oh yeah! Pick the cart, Rand!”

While going north once more, I keep on thinking about what else we could sell. Ogre’s eyeballs? No, wait, they would make me pull them out. No fucking way I do that. Maybe we could pick herbs along the way? But we have no clue which ones are useful. Ah… isn’t there anything else? We’ve got quite the deal with the tusks, but as Lillia said, we will have to hold off for a bit.

Maybe someone has some ideas, let’s try it out. “What else could we loot?”

“Maybe…” Dorian seems doubtful about this, babbles something unintelligible before arranging his thoughts. “Do you remember I talked about not running into their camps?”

“Are you suggesting…?”

“Yes. We are more than double the level we were, after all. I believe we should be able to take on two of them at the same time, probably even three.”

“Mike, Lillia, Rand. What do you think?”

“Ogre I see, ogre I kill” Has Rand’s mind become that of an Ogre’s? What kind of answer is even this.

“It is dangerous,” Lillia at least has some common sense, “but I believe the benefits outwit the worst outcome. If we die, we will lose levels; that’s true. But we need real battles against multiple strong enemies. Plus, they’ll provide more experience, especially towards skills.”

“I am with Rand!” Fuck Mike! You could at least say with Lillia.

“It’s decided then.” I sight, thinking once again of their stupid answers. “We should find and kill one first, so I can raise its spirit.” I had to free the one I had yesterday; there is no way I can bring it into the city. “Then, we’ll try to locate a camp.”

Just like yesterday, we rely on Dorian’s hearing to find and kill one ogre, which I promptly bring back to life. Ah, what a difference from the first fights. This one went almost like nothing.

“So, Dorian, how do you propose we find that camp?”

“About that… Can’t you sense it?” I concentrate and soon realize a faint shaking below my feet. “It’s been going for a while. I think they are actually coming for us.”

“Define a while? How many of them must there be for it to be noticeable already?”

“I’d say at the very least 5, maybe 10. But there’s something that’s been bothering me.” He pauses, not because he is unsure what to say next, rather because he is afraid of saying it. “They are dumb, right?”

“Yes, more than proved so far. Why?”

“How in the hell are they walking in perfect unison. That should be impossible for them!”

Uh- I-I know why…” I say, horrified.

“You, know?”

I simply point my finger at the horizon and let all of them turn around. A fucking giant ogre. Giant as in 3 times the size of the ones we have fought so far. And the fucker is wearing plated armor, a complete set, from head to toes. It is nothing like the dumb creatures with all their flesh exposed.

“I truly don’t think it is a good idea to face it; let’s make a run for it. Maybe once the wa-” suddenly, I lose my balance as the ground splits right next to me. What the holy fuck? I remember reading in their skills that they could split the ground, but wasn’t it a hyperbole? Why has it even bo-

“Rand! Stand right behind my spirit! When it gets blown up, and it will, root yourself down and brace. The rest, do your best!”

Is it already half fucking way here? How fast is it? There were at least two or three kilometers between us. One of his strides must cover more than a hundred meters; I suddenly realize as its figure gets nearer and its body becomes much more visible.

Spirit, charge! I command my ogre, an ant compared to the elephant menacing us.

My spirit, not even doubting my orders for a second, bursts in a sprint. Not even two seconds pass when they meet face to face. A split second before the impact, the giant’s club, a metallic ball covered with sharpened spikes, describes an upper swing. Coupled with the momentum the giant had, the force sends my spirit flying up in the sky. Its feet separate from the ground, and its forward charge gets completely nullified, turning into a spiraling backflip.

[You spirit has lost 176 HP]

That’s… crazy. If I get hit by that weapon, hell, even by one wild kick or punch, I am dead. Dead! The only positive outcome, albeit not as good as I had expected, is that the enemy’s charge has slowed down by a lot. Unless Rand gets one-shotted, we should be mostly fine.

Rand’s feet, helped by his newest ability, bury themselves in the ground. His body arches to the front, and he crosses both arms above his chest. His punches are tightly closed, white from the effort. His teeth grit, bracing for the impact.

Fuck! Heal! Like a train wreck, the ogre’s feet collide with the immovable Rand. Just that, that simple crash, took 141 hp out of him. “Hold on a bit! Lillia, can-” Words are forced back inside me as I see the unfolding events. The beast tripped with the little rock that is Rand, but showing a mastery unfit of its race, it has managed to swing the club mid-air, perfectly hitting Rand as it fell. “Help him!” I shout, horrified as I see another 40 hp leaving him.

Heal! I watch as Lillia tries to approach their position but is forced to dash backward. A series of horizontal barrages with the club, as if the ogre was making snow angels, prevents her from getting any closer and hits Rand at the same time. This is crazy; 30 hp are gone again!

Heal! “Rand, he outheals me! You need to get to Lillia; she can parry the attacks.” I check as my spirit is already on its feet and charging again. “I’ll hold it off!”

Both ogres enter in a wrestling bout, holding their respective shoulders and beginning a force contest. Of course, mine being smaller and unquestionably weaker, rapidly loses terrain. It is forced on its knees, his head proud and tall but unable to answer back.

Mike’s fireballs have not stopped even for a second. Dorian has been trying to stab its legs from behind, but is having a tough time dealing with the shockwaves and its armor.

Heal! I’ve only got two more heals… draining the giant would be useless; I don’t think it has any mana either.

The enemy frees one of its hands, deeming the other one enough to tie my spirit down. Abandoning its club, it starts punching its face. One time. Two. Three. It’s about to reach 200 hp, half its life, when I set my mind up. “I’ll immolate my spirit. Get ready to tank it again! Two heals left!” Without second thoughts, I cast the spell.

[You have lost 55 HP]

When I tried it for the first time, only a small quantity of red liquid appeared. Now, however, the whole upper body of the giant is being bathed in a dark, semi-gaseous substance that is slowly rising to the air. Separating from its body and condensing, its form takes on a more semi-liquid state, dangerously pointing towards the giant ogre. In a flash, the whole matter buries into our enemy.

[You have dealt 400 damage]
[Your spirit has died]

[Immolate has gained a level]
[Immolate has gained a level]
[Immolate has gained a level]
[Immolate has gained a level]
If immolate would kill the target, deal 200% of the damage instead.
Spirits, instead of blood, release a corrupting substance in between gas and liquid that spreads and does 1% of the damage as continued damage for 10 seconds.

I quickly go through the messages, getting the general gist. Generally, I wouldn’t like to sacrifice my minion, as its continuous help is much more helpful than the burst Immolate provides, but… 200%, and then damage over time for 10 seconds? That means I’ll do 4 per second, for a total of 40, not bad!

“Let’s go, Rand!” My command just echoes what he’s already doing, charging the giant. Even Lillia, taking advantage of the momentary chaos, quickly follows behind him, not wanting to get zoned out again.

Rand is still taking too much damage, even after Lillia switching with him every few seconds. Heal! I won’t be able to do much mo-

“Dorian, come here a second!” I interrupt my own thoughts with a brilliant idea.

Mana Drain! Ten seconds for a heal, that’s precisely the health I have left. That plus the heal I still have… we’ll have to manage with two.

“Thank you for your patronage! Heal! Rand, one more heal only!” Our situation is dire; he is two to three hits from dying, with only 45 HP left. The battle continues fiercely. The constant sound of metal against metal and the odor of burned flesh fill the air. Only 10 HP, I have to use it. Heal!

[Heal has gained a level]

“Lillia, I need you to take one hit before switching.” This should give us some more time. “Maybe two if you can survive.”

The ogre is having trouble landing its blows, making clear it is tired and on its last stand. Still, even in this state, one swing hits Lillia. 78 HP gone in an instant… “One more!” I announce as a quick mental calculus confirms that she won’t die with the next one.

“All-out, people! Mike, don’t hold back any mana!”

Even Dorian jumps in, aiming for the small holes in-between its armor. Probably targeting tendons or articulations with the aid of his ability. A second blow perfectly lands on her, sending her a few steps back and taking the much higher amount of 109 HP. “Fallback, Lillia! Rand!”

They switch positions again, but even before one more swing can hit anyone, the last fireball mercilessly crashes on its head.

[Your party has slain a Field Boss: Giant Ogre]
[Congratulations! You have earned an achievement: Field Boss Slain]
[Congratulations! You have earned a unique achievement: First Giant Ogre Slain]

[You have leveled up]
[You have leveled up]

Ah… I was already missing those, I think as the messages flash in front of me.

0