Chapter 3 – Adventurers Guild
178 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They were just next to the Adventurers Guild. He could tell because there was a big sign that which had it written on it. He was surprised that he could read it or more accurately that it was written in a language he can read. They had followed the directions they were given. It’s a good thing the girl remembered them because he was too flustered to even pay attention to what was going on around him, let alone to hear the instruction...

As they approached they took a better look around. The Guild’s building itself was big, 150 meters wide (393’ 8”), 4 stories high. Next to the building were many shops which sold from food to equipment, probably for easy access to the adventurers. On the opposite side of the street were a couple of inns and taverns for those who only stay in the city to prepare their equipment and find new quests. Despite his lack of knowledge about city planning, he could still see that lots of thought was put into it. Actually what even is this city? It looks medieval, yet its buildings are big and there are lots of towers visible in the distance, doted throughout the city. Yet no wall is in sight. Are the buildings hiding it? Is it so far away? There’s no way it’s smaller than the buildings it’s meant to protect... but maybe they’re just in the middle of the city and in the outskirts everything’s smaller? If that’s true and they’ve passed so much of the city already... then how big is this city...?

While he was lost in thoughts they finally reached the front door of the Guild. The girl was just about to knock on the door, (Would anyone even hear her knocking? Thought the boy to himself), when something gets thrown out the window next to the door and they hear the shattered glass falling on the floor. It appeared to be a small chair. Of course, the whole situation made the boy jump up when it happened while the girl just ignored it and continued to open the door as if nothing happened, not even bothering to turn around to look at the mess that just occurred.

As she slowly opened the noise, the sounds from inside started to become audible. There was a nice tavern song in the background, performed by some bard adventurers accompanied by the cheerful chatter of guild members. It was as if the window scenario never occurred. Actually when he turned around the window wasn’t shattered either? He sighed internally and accepted that he’s just going to be confused throughout all of this. Looking back at the guild members, they were just as diverse as the people outside, except that they looked more armed and with more peculiar clothing and equipment. Some were dressed in layers of hide and chain armor, while others wore exquisite robes that gave off a weird aura. They all looked like they had years under their belt and weren’t strangers to pushing themselves to the brink.

The girl didn’t bother looking around though. She just continued walking all the way to the counter. Of course, the boy had to follow... he doesn’t want to get into any trouble with these people. As they reached the counter a beautiful receptionist was waiting for them on the other side. She kind of reminded him of the curators from earlier, except she looked more... lively? She had long purple hair made into a few long strands flowing downward with yellow eyes and was dressed in a uniform identical to her co-workers’, which was black and white with frilly decorations.

“Hello! How can I help you today?” She said in a calm and energetic voice.

“Yes, we just got here.” replied the blond. For a moment he thought she was going to continue talking, yet she just stopped without saying anything else. It seems the receptionist girl also thought she was going to say more and was waiting for her to finish, but after a few seconds, she realised that won’t be the case so she continued the conversation.

“I see. Then let me check if either of you is registered. Do you remember your names?”

At that moment he realised. He couldn’t remember. He actually could barely remember anything... And she even asked them if they specifically remember... does that mean that it’s normal not to?

“Truelip Arkilates” answered the girl.

And like that his theory lost its ground and only added to his anxiety, making his heart start beating faster.

“Ah, that’s good. Very rarely do people manage to remember their names just after coming here.” responded the receptionist, easing his worry a bit as she started typing something on a magical device.

“Yes, it seems there is only one person named that, with your appearance. And a house seems to have already been reserved for you. Guess this isn’t your first visit here, poor thing.”

...

He took a moment’s pause just to take in all the information he was just given, as it was too much for him to cope with. He didn’t have time to think it over.

“Here’s the key to it and here’s where it is.” She hands Truelip the key and turned around the magical device to reveal a screen with a map on it and pointed towards a marked area on it.

“By the way do you remember anything else?”

After a moment the girl only responded with “No.”

“Okay... My name’s Catherine! Nice to meet both of you!~

And what’s your name?” she continued, looking at the boy.

“I... uh...” he stumbled his words.

“Ah, don’t worry! We’ll prepare a room for you from one of the neighbouring inns, but you’ll have to keep up a quota if you wish to keep it for free.”

“I see...” he responded timidly

“As for your meals you can do guard duty tonight.” She finished with a benevolent smile.

“I actually will be resting for the night.” So said the blond girl and turned around to leave.

And he lost the only thing keeping him from falling apart from anxiety.

“I see. Then I hope I see you soon!~

If you’re going to be working for the night, then I can redirect you to the head guard where you’ll be given a weapon and a patrol route.”

He sighed internally and prepared mentally for the rough night ahead.

2