Chapter 5 – The first morning
143 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the next morning, the door cracks open for the second time to everyone living near the house. She came out and looked around. The morning streets were also busy with everyone either going to work or setting up shop. She closed the door and took her first steps for the day.

Early hours at the Adventurer’s Guild is quite peaceful, uncharacteristically so for how rowdy it gets in later ones. Catharine, the receptionist that helped out the duo from yesterday, took a deep breath as she was thinking about the day ahead of her. It’s rare that those who came here reach her on their first day. Those two were lucky. Usually, when they reach her they’re either already cocky enough to discard her or traumatised, or worse. But now’s not the time for her to be thinking about that. She needed to clean up the counter and make sure there’s enough food for the cafeteria. The Guild was mostly empty since adventurers rarely get up this early. They usually like to sleep in and then have breakfast, those that could afford it at least. And then there were people like him...

She looks up while cleaning, at the boy from yesterday who had to spend half the night on guard duty, half asleep.

Poor thing, at least nothing happened on his shift... there’s no telling how inexperienced he is... Unlike his little friend, it seems... speaking of her the devil...

At that moment Truelip entered the guild. As usually she looked around without moving her head and spots her friend who’s buried his head into the table. She decided to leave him be and headed directly to Cathy. As she neared her she talks her up.

“Good morning.”

“Good morning to you too! I see you were quite busy yesterday.”

“Oh, right. Ran into them when I was heading home.”

“Yeah, that’s what the guards reported too. Said you were too busy going home to escort them. I explained to them that you were new here, but you shouldn’t go and make impressions like that you know.” she said lowering her head slightly while looking at her with a concerned expression.

“Don’t worry.”

“Okay... So about your reward for their capture. Their part of a dangerous gang roaming around the city. Each one of the grunts is worth 3 silver, but their leader was one of the gang’s generals so he’s worth 8. That would be a total of 26 silver pieces.”

Hearing that the boy instantly lifted up his head.

WHAT?!?

He got up and sleepily walked to them.

“I spend from 8 pm to 2 am on patrol duty with 75 copper an hour to be able to afford a meal for 3 silver. How did you manage to get 26 already?” he said with shock on his face.

“I don’t know.”

Her response leaves them both just looking at her with confusion and open mouths on their faces. Catherine spoke up to ease him.

“She managed to stop dangerous bandits while also saving a civilian... If you had encountered anyone on your guard duty and stopped them you too would have a bonus if they’re someone dangerous.”

“Bonus...?”

“Yes, because you get paid an hour it’s expected that any money you’d get from fighting grunts would be included in that pay...”

“I see...” He said with a discouraged voice...”

It seems he doesn’t have the confidence to face anyone other than grunts...

“Don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll also manage to get more money once you train a bit more.” the blond said encouraging him.

“By the way, I would suggest to join into other teams or at the very least to never work alone.” Cathy added.

Their favourite silence bestows them.

“I see...” he mumbles under his breath.

“I’m sorry, but I prefer working alone.” Truelip responded, directing her response to both of them.

“But any work outside the city is dangerous! Even guard duty at night is advised to be with at least two people.”

“Yeah, I had to work with another person yesterday too...” added the boy.

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll manage.”

“But-”

Before their receptionist could scold her, the doors to the Guild barge open as five, tired from running, people enter in a hurry and head directly to the registry. One of them, the one who looks like he takes care of the rest directly asked Cathy seeing as she’s the only Receptionist who isn’t busy, but chatting.

 “Excuse us, but this is an emergency. We need to speak with the Guild Master. We’re messengers from the main guard office.”

”A-aah I-ii I see... Please t-this way up the stairs...” Catherine responded as she bowed with her left hand motioning towards the stairs to her left.

“Thank you. Two of our colleagues will post some notices on the quest board and around the are if you do not mind.”

“No, go ahead...” she responded shallowly.

With that, the rest of them head up as the two aforementioned started posting the notices. Cate looked visibly worried.

“W-what’s wrong...?” asked their male friend.

“I-I don’t know, but if they want to speak with the Guild Master directly then it’s very serious...”

Truelip doesn’t join their convo but instead walks with her normal pace to see what the notice says. After a few seconds, the other two can’t take the suspension and soon followed her before she even reached the board. They all went to the nearest post and start reading it.

ATTENTION TO ALL ADVENTUERERS!!!

It seems activity from Demon Lord Cultists around the city has suddenly increased since yesterday. It is suspected that they are planning an assault on the city. All capable hands will be rewarded heavily for partaking in the defence and even those who are uncertain about their strength can contribute to the cause by helping the civilians with the fortifications in case of an attack.

Or so it said. The latter two were pale with fear written all over their faces while their friend merely responded with.

“Huh.”

2