37. I’m just a ghost
49 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Han Li was being driven out of town.

 

The fireworks were behind them and the sky dark without the beaming city lights. The dark forest on the sides of the road sway ominously to the wind and Han Li should probably have been alarmed but he wasn’t.

 

He glanced down, catching sight of some messages from Simone, berating him for his folly and poor conduct. The guilt in his chest roused but it was already too late. His mistakes were made and he, an idiot, was running away.

 

Han Li looked up instead, watching street signs and rusted billboards pass. “Just where the heck is this place? I feel like you’re just taking me somewhere remote to kill me or something.”

 

“Of course not,” Graham replied, his eyes on the road and foot heavy on the gas. They swerved dangerously around a semi and Han Li liked to think he was getting used to the driving but he really wasn’t. “If I had wanted to do such a thing then know you would not be sitting next to me right now.”

 

Han Li laughed without humor, glancing over at the mysterious Saint of Eternity. “That doesn’t exactly make me feel better, you know?” He rested his cheek against his fist, elbow propped against the window. 

 

Graham sat in the driver's seat. His hair was styled, gelled back and away from his face, paired attire a bit classier than the norm; with a black dress shirt pinned with a mysterious silver emblem at his collar, that peeks out from beneath his trench coat. “Then, is there any way I can soothe your worries?” When he spoke, not a single ounce of emotion could be glimmered.

 

“Yeah,” Han Li found himself responding, but he wasn’t thinking, “It’d help if you acted more human.”

 

“I am human,” Graham’s answer was immediate.

 

“Could have fooled me,” Han Li argued without fear. He watched how the edges of Graham’s lips pulled down further and he found himself intrigued, unable to look away. Inspiration rumbled within him and he wanted more. “Do you even have emotions?”

 

“…You are still upset with me about the last hunt,” Graham said. Though there was no change in his clinical voice, Han Li couldn’t help but notice that Graham avoided the question. “I can understand why your ire continues. What can I do to earn your forgiveness?”

 

“Nothing,” Han Li lied. He looked away, eyes falling back onto the monotone road. They were finally getting off the highway. But aside from a dingy-looking gas station where there was not much other than farmland all around. “I won’t forgive you.” 

 

“…”

 

But in truth, he already had. Han Li’s rage had long been quelled and for reasons he wasn’t quite able to put his finger on. He pressed his fist against his chin, deep in thought, and ignored how the stars glittered above them, free to show their luster away from the city’s oppressive lights. 

 

Han Li was wracking his brain for the umpteenth time in search of a logical reason behind his forgiveness, but there weren’t any. Not really.

 

Maybe it all simply amounted to the fact that Graham was hard to understand. Unfeeling yet duty-bound, scheming yet honest. Han Li couldn’t put a finger on it even if he tried. Maybe he needed to know more about Graham first. 

 

They veered off the main road, Graham slowed down to accommodate the dirt path. It was dark all around them and not a single sound beyond the car could be heard. But Han Li could feel a strange shift in the air and he suspected that not all was as it seemed. He remained calm and asked, “So why did you become a Saint?” 

 

Saints were ultimately chosen by the divine. But it was said that one could become a saint with purpose at heart, or something. Han Li didn’t know for certain, there wasn’t much known about the workings of heavenly beings.

 

The car halted and there was nothing to be glimmered in the darkness around them, with only the shadows of trees swaying in the wind. Graham rolled down the window but his gaze was towards Han Li, lips tight. “I wanted my dream to last forever.”

 

Han Li had never heard something so strange before. “Wanted?” he asked, but it was too late because Graham had already turned away from him.

 

A shadow appeared at the window, a young woman appeared out of nowhere, a dark cloak over her face, showing over her bright red lips. “Invitation?” Her sweet voice cut through the air and sent chills down Han Li’s spine.

 

Of all the years he spent training as a hunter, only twice had he met an authorized witch. And even then, it had been from afar. 

 

Graham, unalarmed, fished a golden card out of his pocket and handed it over to the witch. Long, black nailed plucked the invitation out of his grasps. “Master Iszak will be pleased that you were able to make it tonight,” she giggled before waving her hand in a wide, circular motion. A sweet song-like incantation spilled from her lips and what had been but black in front of them turned into a quaint road, paved, with floating lanterns that danced on each side.

 

They led up to a large villa that sat in the middle of the fields. Lights flashed from within, and Han Li could hear distant music and laughter. Graham pulled into a parking lot, where many more cars of upper-class varieties littered the space. Not a single commoner-esque vehicle could be seen.

 

Han Li suddenly felt nervous as he stepped out of the car, and his anxiety didn’t really have anything to do with the prospect of meeting witches and other supernatural beings.

 

Rather…

 

…there’s no way that everyone present was disgustingly filthy rich right?

 

Because if so, Han Li came severely underdressed.

 

Graham looked over his shoulder when he realized that Han Li wasn’t following but he only gazed and didn’t say a word. After a moment, Graham turned back around and kept walking.

 

“…?” Huh? Did something strange just happen? Han Li blinked, uncertain. Maybe he had imagined the odd feeling in his heart. “Wait!” he called and jogged after Graham who didn’t slow down even a little for him.

 

Graham’s pace was brisk and they made it to the main entrance of the mansion in no time. There was a small patio with arching vines that danced over a small archway. Blooming flowers adorned its sides despite the chill. There were several people gathered there, half a dozen many of which sported wine glasses, chatting and laughing loudly with each other.

 

The woman that had been reclined on the white couch perked up when she noticed Graham, green eyes lighting up immediately. “Oh, if it isn’t my darling, Mr Astley!” She singsonged as she sprung to her feet, pushing away others who stood in her way towards the Saint of Eternity.

 

She had a thin figure yet bountiful curves that matched with a delicate face painted with expert grace. Her sharply-lined eyes were pulled into two dazzling crescents as she eyed the man before her, strawberry blond hair fell around her petite face and hugged the sides of her body, tapering just above her waist. Her silken dress was white, matching the fur jacket that hung off her slender shoulders. There was something familiar about her, but Han Li couldn’t quite put a finger on it.

 

“Charity,” he took her dainty hand and brought it to his lips. For a moment, Han Li almost chalked this behavior up to typical Graham weirdness only to remember he never did this to Simone. “Even now, your brightness puts the stars to shame.”

 

Huh? Did Han Li hear that right? He stood there frozen, just a step behind but he might as well not have been there at all.

 

The woman, Charity, laughed with a bright, chime-like voice. She flipped her hair over her shoulder and did not hurry to draw her other hand away. “And you, my sweet flatter, are still trying to worm your way into my heart with those dangerous words? They do sound so profoundly lovely.” She drew out her words, her speech melodic and pleasant. 

 

When Graham finally let go of her hand, she was not shy to pat touch, and trace the edge of Graham’s shoulder.

 

Graham chuckled, “It is not flattery when I speak only truths.”

 

Han Li thought he had somehow teleported into some weird alternate dimension because— was Graham, flirting? He was so utterly shell-shocked that it hadn’t yet registered that he was going ignored. 

 

“Lies,” she chided, playfully pressing a finger to his lips. Graham did not complain and allowed her to do as she pleased. 

 

And it was then her emerald eyes fell upon Han Li, likely by accident since he was standing just behind Graham. A carefully plucked brow raised with curiosity. “And who might this darling be?”

 

“…Erm, don’t mind me. I’m just a ghost. Or better yet, I don’t exist at all. Grams clearly forgot that I’m even here so—” Han Li blurted out like an imbecile. His face went red upon further scrutiny. It was then that he glared at Graham, cursing the man for not introducing him earlier like a normal and polite human being.

 

Speaking of which, wasn’t Graham acting a bit strange? Why couldn’t Han Li shake off the feeling that he was being bullied?

 

There was a pause before Graham spoke. “You’re right,” he said, “I forgot.”

 

“…What the fuck?” Han Li gaped, unable to look more offended if he tried.

 

Charity made a small gasping ‘oh’ noise, her hand coming up to cover her mouth.

I have no excuse explanations or words in general for this child of mine.

Just. Nothing to say at all. So Graham, would you like to explain yourself?

Graham: "Why ought I do such a thing when the explanation is in the story itself? If it is not there now, then you must simply trust the author blindly in hopes that she will one day write things properly."

me: "..."

Graham: "...I meant, explain things properly."

me: "How is that any better!?"

Han Li: *facepalm* "Both of you, just be quiet already."

 

4