38. Sound and logical decisions
48 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Han Li was too shocked to be angry, though he knew that he probably should have been.

 

Instead, he merely stood there, flabbergasted. His mouth moved before his thoughts did, “Right. Since I’m clearly unwanted here, I’ll be off.”

 

Apparently, that meant storming right into the villa without a second thought. In hindsight, that might not have been the best course of action but his feet were already carrying him places and Han Li didn’t have it in him to turn back so he didn’t. Not even when that sugary voice called after him, “Oh, please come back dear, I’m sure Mr Astley was just trying to tease you.”

 

Yeah, no fuck that. Han Li’s ability to reason was slowly returning and he realized, with pointed annoyance, that Graham was acting like a petulant child completely out of the blue towards him! Han Li couldn’t fathom it, couldn’t even understand why he was being antagonized. And just when he thought Graham couldn’t surprise him any further with his weirdness, he pulled this. 

 

How was Han Li supposed to feel!?

 

So he decided to take in the sights and explore this witch’s sabbath without one annoying Saint of Eternity on his back. 

 

Meanwhile, Charity and Graham still occupied the patio. 

 

“Hm, will the poor thing be alright?” Charity hummed as she tapped a slender finger against her chin. Her strawberry blond hair was shiny with glittering luster, akin to a silken veil that draped over her shoulder. 

 

Graham hadn’t been lying about the compliments. But if there was one thing that Graham liked more than Charity’s dolled face, her slim waist or long legs it was her beautiful hair. He could hardly look away even as he spoke calmly, “Han Li will be alright.”

 

Even the way she twirled around on her heels was cute. Charity’s mannerisms had an uncanny similarity to hers. It was inevitable that Graham was drawn to her, even longing to call her Aoibhinn.

 

He couldn’t resist doting on her, even if it was wrong. 

 

Luckily, Charity knew this too and drew a line if he were to come too close. She was not willing to make the same mistake twice. 

 

She smiled at him, her eyes twinkling with mirth. “Was it really necessary to tease him to that extent? The darling likely has the wrong impression, you know?”

 

“…I was not teasing.” Graham frowned. He wasn’t sure if it had been necessary either.

 

“Oh?” Charity raised a brow, infinitely curious. She had never seen Graham act out in this manner before.

 

“…I was throwing a tantrum,” Graham said with that deadpan voice of his.

 

“Oh.” Charity blinked, taking a moment to let the words sink in. Clearly, she must have heard wrong, right…? “I…pardon me, dear, did you just say that you were throwing a tantrum…?” She was completely mystified and stood there frozen in confusion and shock, struggling to maintain any sense of elegant composure. 

 

Graham frowned, a tiny divot appeared at the center of his brow. He lifted a gloved hand to his lips. “Charity,” his low, melodic voice reeled her in. “What is your opinion on the state of my emotions?”

 

“…?” Charity blinked, her countenance still frozen from abject confusion. Her usual eloquent words were stolen from her. “Mr Astley,” she said slowly, picking apart her mind in search of words, “I fear that there is little context to what you are asking.”

 

Graham stared at her, “Do I seem human to you?”

 

“…” Charity had no idea what the right answer was. Would the Saint of Eternity be offended if she said no? “You are human…enough. But I suppose your mannerisms and divine aura make you seem otherworldly to some.” She tilted her head cutely, maintaining a sweet smile in hopes of masking her half-truths. 

 

“I see.” But answers were not totally satisfactory, that wrinkle on Graham’s brow did not leave. “I was hoping to convey emotion. I do not know if it was successful.”

 

“…You threw a tantrum to show that you were annoyed?” Charity couldn’t even believe the words that were coming out of her mouth.

 

“Is that not why people throw tantrums?” Aside from the small look of concern, the expression he wore was mild, his stance stiff and statuesque. In truth, Graham was more inhuman than a lot of inhuman beings that Charity had met in her life. 

 

“…There are other ways to show your frustrations than throwing a tantrum, my dear,” she hummed, trying to hide her apprehension and alarm with Graham’s sudden strange behavior.

 

“True,” Graham nodded, “But would you have believed me if I had simply said that I am annoyed?”

“…” Well with a face like that, maybe not. But still, she said, “You should have tried first, no? And plus, now your little boy has wandered off into Iszak’s lair and you have an apology to make to him.”

 

“Ah,” he nodded at her words, “You are right. I ought to apologize. Thank you, Charity.” He dipped for a hug, inciting a small surprised ‘o’. 

 

She could not resist reaching up and circling her arms around his back, dreaming of a dream that wasn’t hers to be had. There was a quaint smile on her lips as she said, “Yes, do that. As a word of caution, Lord Iszak is up to one of his weird little stunts again. I suggest you keep that cute little half-blood away from him tonight.”

 

Graham pulled away, his movements stilted and quick. “A stunt,” he repeated. “I see. I’ve heard much of his questionable hobbies.”

 

“That he has many, but his talents as an artificer are second to none. How lucky of you to have both Iszak and me in the same place, at the same time.”

 

That was something that Graham couldn’t deny. He had indeed lucked out with their schedules. “We will discuss the commission in further detail at a later hour,” he said before leaving, not letting Charity gossip more than necessary. After all, there were still New United Merriva agents present at the sabbath. Graham was not inclined to share certain information with them.

 

For now, he made his way inside the mansion with the intent of tracking his troublesome charge down.

 

Which shouldn’t be too difficult. After all, Graham was pretty much a certified stalker at this point.

 

 

There was a haunting remix of some snazzy R&B blasting throughout the mansion. Han Li had never seen so many supernatural beings just hanging out, laughing, drinking, and messing around like normal people. There were vampires, weres, selkies, witches, and sorcerers as well. Each of them was decked in expensive clothes and shimmering jewelry and Han Li was terrified to think their outfits might cost as much as his tuition. Surely no, right? But he had seen enough brand items dangling off attractive individuals and he was too terrified to find out.

 

People didn’t pay him much mind though, which Han Li was thankful for. He received a few glances, from curious to disapproval and even disgust. With his dress alone, he stood out like a sore thumb. Which kind of sucked but he wasn’t really there to make friends either. 

 

Still, some alcohol seemed like a good idea so Han Li made his way over to the bar. 

 

There, he saw a very peculiar scene.

 

A dark-skinned woman wearing a tight-fitted dress and hefty gold necklace held her wrist over a glass. She took a knife and without any hesitation, cut into her wrist.

 

The cut was deep, almost slicing halfway into the limb but the woman didn’t react, wearing only a light smile as she tipped her wrist. Blood gushed out and filled the cup, splatters of red dotted the counter where others poured their drinks. No one even batted an eye at her actions.

 

“Franz will kill you if you make a mess,” her blond friend sighed, frowning at the cup. He didn’t seem particularly enthused but he wasn’t very alarmed either.

 

“It’s worth it,” she shrugged, putting the knife aside, smearing even more blood on the countertop. “Lord Iszak is always generous to his donors.” Red was still dripping off her hand as she brought the wound to her mouth and began to lick it as though a dog might nurse an injury. It wasn’t long before the terrible gash closed up. “Say, why don’t you bring it up to him?”

 

The woman pushed the cup to her friend, who went pale at the suggestion. “No way, what if he goes crazy and attacks me? I don’t stand a chance against that monster. It’s your blood. Go bring it up to him instead.”

 

“No way!” she shrilled. “The chances I’d get attacked are way higher since it’s my blood he’ll be drinking. Don’t be a pussy, don’t you want to become Alpha in the future?” She picked up the glass of blood, attempting to shove it into the blond’s hands.

 

The blond man pushed her had a way with a hiss, “Yeah, first step to becoming Alpha is not actively trying to die for stupid reasons.” It was then that he spotted Han Li, who had been nothing more than an innocent bystander to this entire scene. “You there, kid! Why don’t you do us a favor and bring this up to Lord Iszak? This mutt here will forever be in your debt.” 

 

“Who are you calling a mutt!?” the woman shrieked.

 

And Han Li stood there stupidly like he’d been the majority of the night. “Sure?”

 

Clearly, he wasn’t very good at making sound and logical decisions either.

 

CROSS POSTING.... is actually such a pain aaaaaaaaaaa

4