Chapter 11
4.7k 11 165
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Since all complaining doesn't help Chiaki finally manages to shove us into the clothes shop of some mall.
In comparison, the creeps I've got from all the monsters I've encountered are the same I get now while looking at the common range of prices here.

And honestly, I feel displaced.
I simply have no streak for fashion.

Chiaki on the other hand is in her element.
Like a whirlwind, she rushes through the racks.
The clothes fly high and get swept away by her arms.
In the end, she comes to a stop in front of us with so much weight on her raised forearms that I must ask myself how she can lift this much.

 

"Are you sure she is human?" (Z)

"Absolutely not!" (I)

"These are yours, Iori. And Karin, please try this one." (C)

"Will you be satisfied then?" (I)

"Sure! If I can see both of you in this all my wishes are coming true!" (C)

 

First, she forces Zika inside.
To my surprise, out of the changer emerges a girl in a light white summer dress.
Chiaki can barely hold onto herself at this sight.
I on the other side have some issues.
One would be that my mind internally puts her demon appearance in this dress.
It might still fit, yet more in a disturbing combination with sprinkled blood.
The second problem is that I think I see some black smoke gathering around her, implying that the first scenario might actually not be too far away, as agitated as she is.
Hopefully, she will stay considerate of me.

 

"Chiaki, why such a thing? It's just the start of spring yet!" (I)

"I planned for the future! And in addition, because of this it's much cheaper. You said I should look at the prices." (C)

"Can I please change back now?" (Z)

 

The look goes foremost to me.

 

"Sure! Sorry for Chiaki." (I)

"Oh! What a shame. But now you!" (C)

 

In my wish to end this, I just grab the stuff she hands me and walk into the cabin.
It is some kind of blue shirt, which is a bit too wide on the shoulders and trousers in which I truly need to squeeze me in.
Kinda ironic if you ask me.

It is rather hard to pull them over the knees and it is even more hard to put not too much force into it as I don't trust my body this much. Especially regarding my strength level.
I mean seriously, this thing is obviously not made for me and...

 

"Ieehk!" (I)

 

Under my seat sits a strange deformed humanoid creature.
It looks kind of blackened rotten, with mangled arms grabbing my feet.
Instantly multiple spikes rip out of my leg and pierce this ghastly thing.
And then they explode a second time from inside that monster, ending it for good.
I don't know what is the worst, this creep who touched me, my disturbing reaction, or that I probably sucked this dreadful thing into me.
Or maybe...

 

"Iori! What happened?" (C)

"I... There..." (I)

 

I'm at a loss at what to say to her.

 

"Oh no you..." (C)

 

What?
Is there anything left?
Did she see something?

 

"You ripped your pants!" (C)

 

I look down and notice that I really haven't anything left where the spikes extended.
Probably because I didn't want to wear them in the first place I unconsciously didn't repair that damage.

 

"How did you manage this? It looks like you completely shredded through them!" (C)

 

I am completely startled.
I was just kind of sexually harassed and then... stuff happened.
And I cannot explain anything about this!

 

Zika is already there as well.
At least she must have an idea about what happened to the skewered trouser leg.

 

"Well, they must have been too small for you. Maybe I should next time looking for bigger sizes." (C)

 

Did she just call me fat?!
However, since I cannot say that it was this creature's fault and I somewhat was responsible for the destruction the only one left to take the blame is me.

 

"I-I'm sorry." (I)

"Duh, it's unfortunate, but it seems like we will have to pay for that damage." (C)

"Uh; Really, I'm sorry, how much is it?" (I)

"No problem, I'm gonna pay for it! I was the one who brought it to you in the first place." (C)

"No! Please, I want to pay for it! Well not want. But if I don't, everyone will say I was just with you because of your money if I ever decide to dump you." (I)

"Nah; As if you could live without me!" (C)

"Now please tell me the price, so I can pay the damage!" (I)

"Fine, it came eight-thousand yen." (C)

"Excuse me? I've just asked for the trousers!" (I)

"Yes, that is what they come! It's a label and high quality! I really wanted to see you in it! Such a shame." (C)

 

I grudge audibly and curse inside.
Having no other choice I again slip out of this overpriced piece of fabric and put my old outfit back on.
Then I walk to the counter and hand with grinding teeth this trash and my card over.
Seems like I have to become creative with any presents I have to make this year as with this my budget is gone.
It feels like pure mockery that the clerk packs it into a fancy bag.
Severely downtrodden I come back.

 

"You don't look good Iori." (C)

 

While Chiaki is just pointing out the obvious Zika looks distressed.

 

Really?
I even have to watch out for my mood?!

 

"With this, I'm now absolutely broke. Will have to cut my expenses." (I)

"At least let me invite you to this cafe!" (C)

"Chiaki I alrea..." (I)

"I insist! And I will decide what you get! So it's more like I use my money for what I want!" (C)

 

Despite feeling not tired anymore I somehow cannot find the motivation to win this discussion.
So she continues to drag us to this particular place she has in mind.
In a convenient moment, Zika manages to start a talk.
I notice that Zika during all this trouble with my pants accomplished to put this dress back.

 

"And? Why did you shapeshift in there?" (Z)

"There was suddenly a creepy monster in this cabin and I got startled." (I)

"Ah, this was it." (Z)

"No! Not "this was it"! What the hell was that thing?" (I)

"Hmm, it could have been anything, but the most likely is an afterimage." (Z)

"What's that?" (I)

"Something like a ghost." (Z)

"Iieek! Why-why don't you call it a ghost then?" (I)

"Afterimage is more fitting. It's the accumulation of a personality or mind which too fast ceases to exist, so that remains of its identity kind of stayed." (Z)

"So ghosts really do exist?" (I)

"I am rather surprised that you haven't seen any until now. Looking closely it should be no problem to make them out in their little holes. They mostly avoid presences and like this people, as those life-force interferences disperse them. So they gather in side-alleys. On the other side, you are probably scaring them all off. Only the most basic too stupid or unable to react to the change in atmosphere you are causing would stay. But some should still linger around here." (Z)

 

Triggered like this I now start to look in every dark spot I can spot.
Monsters are one thing but ghosts are scary.
Maybe I'm seeing something or my paranoia is just making things up.

Slightly uneasy I ask Zika:

 

"So the remains of dead people are walking around here?" (I)

"Yes, but also other things are possible. Like thoughts or ideas gaining structure or wild accumulations. Gods are a good example for such a thing." (Z)

"Gods? You mean like me?" (I)

"Like you? Pfft. Oh no. Inner gods are neglectable, fickle, little beings. Enhanced made-up structures solidified by the worship of many, yet utterly  fragile and against outer gods a pitiful joke." (Z)

 

The world starts to become stranger and stranger.

 

"What are you talking about you two?" (C)

"Religion!" (I)

"Oh! Then we should have brought Makoto with us! Living at a shrine he must have something to say!" (C)

"Isn't this a little too rash? Just because of his family it mustn't mean that he is very into it." (I)

"You are no fun!" (C)

"You don't say?" (I)

 

I don't even know if I'm allowed to have fun.

 

165