Chapter 23
3.6k 22 154
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

So I walk back home, this time making sure to avoid any kind of creepy ghost waiting to ambush me.
And seriously, this isn't just my paranoia speaking here.
When I look around there really is an abundance of those frightening things around.
Most of them are hidden in the shadows, but as the twilight grows, more and more dwell on the streets.

It's at best distressing to have this view of mostly mutilated, twisted, and simply wrong creatures and corpses.
And the randomly plopping-up eyes of mine which point them out make it rather hard to ignore them.
On the bus, it becomes much better, as it kind of shields me from them.
They aren't even looking at me.
I am actually thankful for the lack of attention to my person.
Since I hurry a bit I make it earlier than usual back home.

 

"Hi mum! I'm back!" (I)

 

It doesn't take long until she comes into view.
It's somewhat assuring that nothing happened, despite all the troubling stuff I encountered and what Zika hinted could come at us.
Not like I expected that something would happen to mum, I'm just a little conscious about it.
What I haven't anticipated is that she rushes at me and catches me so tight in an embrace as if she believes I miraculously survived something.

 

"Uhm, mum! Isn't this a little much? I just came home from school." (I)

"I was worried! Isn't that okay? There is so much going on at once." (S)

"It's fine! I'm okay! You don't need to worry." (I)

"Alright, alright! Just... I am glad to see you." (S)

 

She releases me and I can at least get rid of the stuff I was carrying.

 

"Ehm, mum?" (I)

"Yes, dear?" (S)

"How was your day? Did something noteworthy happen? Did you encounter anything?" (I)

"I've got the feeling this isn't about how I fared at work. No, nothing." (S)

"Huff!" (I)

"Why the question?" (S)

"Just... Zika said you might get targeted for being related to me. She can scare one quite much. And I... I grew worried about it." (I)

"You don't need to worry. I am perfectly fine." (S)

"But what if one of those ghosts attack! You, you would be in danger! How would you fight back?" (I)

"I don't know. But what does it help to worry about things one cannot change?" (S)

"Actually..." (I)

"What?" (S)

"Zika suggested I could bind a demon to you." (I)

 

Okay, her face literally screams "What the hell? Are you serious?"

 

"That... sounds very ominous. And can we really trust her? I mean, a demon?" (S)

"Ehm, it means I could somehow make one and put it close to you. It wouldn't do anything bad. Most of the time it would be invisible, and only in case something happens it would come out to protect you. At least that's how I understood it. I know this sounds crazy, but if something would happen to you and even more because of me... I, I wouldn't know how to deal with it." (I)

 

Mum comes close and hugs me again.

 

"It's not like I like the idea. But I can understand why this weighs so much on you. Just know that you are never at fault for things others do. Please believe me here. For that demon thing. I will need a little bit of time to think about it. Is this fine?" (S)

"Y-yes! Sorry for troubling you so much, mum." (I)

"That's what children are there for. Otherwise it wouldn't be a responsibility for the parents." (S)

"I love you, mum!" (I)

"Mhm. Fine, then make yourself ready. We are going to have dinner." (S)

 

It's kind of astonishing that whatever goes on, mum insists on eating together.
Like this, I think it would trouble her if I mention that it isn't really filling for me.
So I get rid of my uniform and change into something comfy.
That I could simply shift into a different attire is a possibility my longing for normalcy simply won't allow.
Like this, I feel far more eased and can enjoy the safe feeling I'm getting from coming home.

 

Soon I am at the table.
What mother prepared there looks quite nice.
It's mostly fish and rice, but the way she arranges it makes it look special.
A little self-conscious about the supposed black hole in my stomach I am holding myself back.
I am not sure if she has noticed, but mum is taking looks at me.
On the other hand, I am something like an otherwordly demon, so that could be as well a reason.

 

"Ehm, Iori?" (S)

 

That sudden address startled me.

 

"Y-yes mun?" (I)

"Do you... want to change back? You know, to your... other form?" (S)

"W-why you ask?" (I)

"You look a little tense and I had the thought that you might like to do so." (S)

"Ehm, it's not really straining. I just feel that this body is more of an illusion, which is kinda unnerving. But there was another thing." (I)

 

I know this might cause problems.
But mum asked me to be honest with her and I promised.

 

"What is it?" (S)

"I... cannot eat." (I)

"I am confused! Didn't you just clear your plate?" (S)

"I mean I can swallow it, but as soon it goes down my stomach it just... disappears." (I)

"Oh my! Do, do you feel okay? How bad is it? To think that the whole time you got nothing!" (S)

"I-its not like that mum. I am not getting hungry either. I am just not... full. It's fine." (I)

"You really think so? I mean, If you're sure. But if there's anything weighing on you please tell me. I just want you to know that you don't have to keep secrets from me. It really is okay to tell me everything." (S)

 

I am actually so touched right now that I'm desperately fighting my tears.
Problematic is just that they are some vile black stuff that can cause calamities.

 

"Thank you mum! Thank you!" (I)

 

At least I can manage to suck them back in.

 

"Fine, as I said you can always come to me with your problems. By the way, how was your day?" (S)

 

Okay!
Let's try being honest!

 

"Well, first I've learned that our school, including Zika, hosts seven very strong demons. Then that Makoto's family is likely training him to fight demons. After that, because of a slip on my part, Zika bound herself somehow to me in a strange and permanent way. Oh, also Chiaki busted me, but I think that that is mostly settled. In addition, there was an encounter with one of those demons, who was a bit hostile, but I solved it without any greater problems." (I)

"A-a-alright if you say... Chiaki busted you!!? Are you still okay with her? And what is with Zika?! Did Makoto do something to you?! And, and these demons! Are you hurt?!!" (S)

 

The next minutes I spend explaining the story in more detail.
While she doesn't look too pleased she appears at least to accept it.

 

"Fine, I think I understand. Before I forget, I have something for you. Please close your eyes. And no blinking. No matter which eye. All count!" (S)

 

I do as she says, getting a little excited.
I hear something shuffling and soon after there is a feeling of touch in my hands.
So I open my eyes, and I find a smartphone!

 

"I know your birthday is still four months away and I was against it, but now I think it would be better if you can contact me. Your old was a bit lacking in this regard. Also, you should know that you can always count on me." (S)

"Thank you, mum!!" (I)

 

I give mum another hug.

 

"I am glad that you are happy about it. Alright, now help me wash the dishes!" (S)

"Sure, mum!" (I)

 

I'm not interested if it's unusual for demons to do that!
Could I use the tentacles?

 

"And by the way, what was with the conditioner you put a note on which says "don't open, evil inside"?" (S)

 

Well, another thing I have to explain in more detail.

 

After that, we spend the rest of the day rather calmly.
While I don't make a complete transformation, I grew bold enough to shift to these elf-ears.
On one side, I wanted to adjust in small steps to the entirety, so I can be calmer when it happens and keep my cool.
On the other, I think they're rather cute.
Like this, the day ends and finally, I go to bed.

 

This dreaded time!

 

154