Chapter 41
3.7k 17 136
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Okay, I can see someone on the floor with my unusual sense of sight.
The only one who could see this eye that opened on my back is Chiaki from her position, yet I am more concerned about this person.
If that would be at least a person, but persons don't wear cloaks consisting of pure miasma.
And this pale vampire pale skin and the hollow eyes only add up to it.
This one looks interested at us all in the room, while from the base of his cloak the smoke reaches out, connecting it with the book, which they used to set all this up.

Okay, for now, I just won't acknowledge its existence.
All attention I had directed at it was an unusual eye, which was difficult to see in the first place.
The problem is now Chiaki, who might follow my "gaze" at any moment.
So I'll physically distract her!
I again take her arm.

 

"Is it better now Chiaki? Don't look behind you! Just don't!"

 

For a moment she shrieks a bit up, but a tug on her arm keeps her from turning around.

 

"Where do you even have got a book that teaches this kind of stuff?" (I)

 

I really want to know what is wrong with that book, which gets more and more unattractive to look into.
And what is the connection to this figure?

 

"It's from Doreo!" (N)

"Okay... Now let's act as if I have no idea who that is." (I)

"Doreo is the friendly ghost in the library who helps you to find the book you want and sometimes he guides you to those you didn't look for but needed!" (N)

"Whenever you find a book in the library which shouldn't even be there it's Doreo's doing!" (J)

 

That sounds like the most ominous source one can imagine.
Especially regarding worrisome demon rituals.

 

"And you just take it as a given that you should follow these instructions?" (I)

"They are all really working rituals!" (S)

"I don't claim that they don't work. I am telling you that one of them might rip out your soul and gift it to that thing!" (I)

 

That thing right there on the floor!

 

"As if I would do such a thing! My integrity is my business!" (D)

 

That was enough for Chiaki.
She's no longer able to ignore what is on the floor.
No one else reacts, but hers is enough.

 

"Waahhh-wa-wa-waaaaahhhh!" (Chiaki)

"So you have the sight! How interesting." (D)

 

I pull Chiaki back and cover her.
If that thing wants something from her it has to go through a world of nightmares!

 

"And you too, but that should have been a given, considering all the essence which escapes from you." (D)

"What do you want?" (I)

"I was just curious about the first successful calling those amateurs managed. But it wasn't directly their doing, wasn't it?" (D)

"Ehm Iori, who are you talking to?" (S)

"Apparently, Doreo!" (I)

"And you must be the goddess which freaked Kyumi out so much!" (D)

"You are... fairly at ease. Everyone else panics and runs." (I)

"And leave this chance pass by? Kyumi might not have noticed, but she still exists in her current form. Logically seen you are not the kind to harm." (D)

"I don't know about this. But I would appreciate it if you don't do anything rash." (I)

"This starts to get a little creepy! Are you making fun of us and our club?" (N)

"No! There really is someone!" (C)

"I don't sense anything." (J)

"Is there really someone?" (Y)

"Hmm, they managed to do it right, so how about a little reward?" (D)

"Reward? Reward for what?" (I)

"No worry. It doesn't concern you. This is just between me and them. Just some involvement." (D)

 

At this he grabs somewhere in his cloak and swings his hand back out, spreading some kind of dust.
I directly cover Chiaki with my body as good as it's possible without exploding in horrific terrors.
I manage, but those who couldn't see, naturally couldn't avoid it and now rub their eyes.
And panic.

 

"Wha-wha-what is this!" (N)

"Oh my god, oh my god!" (S)

 

Just our nerd is rather staring than anything else.
Still put off yet at the same time genuinely interested.

 

"What is causing this?" (J)

"Page twelve, dream powder recipe!" (D)

 

While the goth girl's facade breaks.

 

"I don't want to die!" (Y)

"My, my. They take it quite tragic." (D)

"They... can see now?" (I)

"Yes! It's better not to look like a mad person, right?" (D)

"How could you do this! Now... now... It's a curse!" (C)

 

She isn't wrong.
Chiaki suffered so long because of this ability.
I doubt anyone here could do much against a ghost or demon's attention.

 

"It's just temporary. As soon as the powder dissipates their sight will return back to normal.
For something more permanent try out page twenty-two!" (D)

 

So they can see now demonic stuff.
Oh...

 

"Shit!" (I)

"Why is there so much darkness? It seems to gather around you, Iori." (J)

"No idea! Ask the demon!" (I)

 

I absolutely cannot be exposed as the source of all that darkness around here.

 

"D-Doreo did this?" (N)

"Did I?" (D)

"Yes, you did!" (I)

"Pfft!" (C)

"That's not helping, Chiaki!" (I)

"It's so dark here!" (Y)

"Yes, that's something you have to get used to." (C)

 

Sorry, but I can't do much about what comes out of me!

 

"And what shall happen now?" (I)

"First that dweller there. It will make a fine specimen! Or had you any different plans?" (D)

 

Honestly, I was asking how to get rid of it.
He reaches out with his shadowy, quite long hand and violet streams extend from it.
One can clearly see how they break through something at the circle, before forming a web and catching the rat inside.
Then they pull the bundle back and as soon Doreo has it in his hand, he puts it beneath this disturbing cloak.

 

"That gets a little too much for me. Can we please go now, Chiaki?" (I)

"Now? Isn't it... a bad time to leave?" (C)

 

Maybe.
I have no real idea about that demon's intentions.
But the longer I stay here the sooner my cover will get blown.
And I do a really crappy job at hiding a universe-sized secret!

 

"Now is maybe the only time we can at all without getting in too much trouble!" (I)

"Exactly as Zika said. Completely clueless." (D)

"You talked to Zika?" (C)

"Who is Zika?" (S)

"No one of interest to you! So what is it?" (I)

"She described you as "someone who causes trouble without even having the slightest idea what she's doing!" (D)

"Could you please stop speaking this franc about me! It's a difficult topic!" (I)

"If you don't want them to hear, why not simply dim their minds? This much should be no problem for you. I can't do anything, as you just said I can't do anything rash, isn't this right?" (D)

 

This is what I hate about demons!
They always treat you like an imbecile in talks.

 

"Even if I would know how, doing that to someone else is plain wrong!" (I)

"Hmm, it's not like I said you should crack their souls. Just make them sleep if they bother you." (D)

"I'm not doing this! Free will is important!" (I)

"Free will is a lie! A lie made by your kind that is." (D)

"Stop talking about this!" (I)

 

This demon is pissing me off!

 

"Ehm, Iori?" (C)

"Yes, Chiaki?" (I)

"You are releasing this black smoke! Much of it! I don't think they will believe you anymore that you don't know anything about what happens here." (C)

 

Urrgh, what can I do now?

 

"No one's going to ask here any stupid questions, right?" (I)

 

Back to the demon!

 

"Fine, I have no idea what you want, but I for sure don't know anything I can tell you! So would you kindly let me be now?" (I)

"As if I would dare to inconvenience you." (D)

 

You mean like when you were pointing out to everyone around here that I'm a demon?

 

"Let me show you my goodwill. Here, take this." (D)

 

He holds some object in my direction. All I can see is that it's black and solid.

 

"What is this?" (I)

"Please, take it." (D)

 

Whatever.
I guess there is not much which could happen from taking it.
At least I want to know what it's about.
I take it in my hand and notice that it's some kind of talisman made of apparently a light kind of stone.

 

"Whoosh"

 

"What the heck did just happen?!" (I)

"It got brighter in here!" (C)

"What? How do you mean this?" (I)

"The blackness surrounding you. It's... not completely gone, but less intense. Especially around you!" (C)

 

I turn to Doreo.

 

"What is that thing?" (I)

"A high-quality aura obfuscator. I thought it might inconvenience you that everything that can notice is able to identify you as the manifestation of dread. But it seems not to be perfect yet." (D)

"And what's the price? Zika said that there's always a catch regarding deals with your kind." (I)

"As I said, I just wanted to show some goodwill. So the price is nothing but a little bit of trust. Regarding this, Zika also said that you tend to ask questions. I just wanted to say, the library might be the best place to search for answers. I would love to assist you, my dear." (D)

 

Creepy!

Can I call the police?

 

"Well, to me she said never making deals with demons or anyone else!" (I)

"This is no deal, just me offering knowledge." (D)

 

Honestly, I've got the feeling if I come with my questions to Zika any longer, she might soon explode.

 

"Let me think about it. However, this should be known: Don't target anyone I know or you will regret it." (I)

"Not my style." (D)

"Mhm, like giving books about demon summoning to children. Completely innocent." (I)

"Quite a critique you are. But they had never enough energy to get something bigger. As everything's solved I will take my leave now." (D)

 

And with that his cloak bursts around him, devouring itself and he is gone.
Now I have to deal with the aftermath.

 

"Well, that was quite scary, right? We should maybe try to avoid things like this in the future and never again talk about it!" (I)

"Wh-what are you?" (Y)

 

It was worth a shot!

 

"I'm a student at this school. There's nothing else to say about me!" (I)

 

I absolutely cannot explain any of this.
So I don't!
Instead, I simply grab Chiaki's hand and walk out of the room.
I doubt anyone here is intending to get in my way.

Back out I tend to my friend.

 

"Fine Chiaki, what now that I'm basically exposed to these kids." (I)

"Wasn't this crazy? There was suddenly this demon!" (C)

"I have no idea about this, but I'm through! Can we please just go home now?" (I)

"Okay, okay, but can we meet tomorrow?" (C)

"Tomorrow is still school, so yes. Are you fine? You have still problems with sleeping, right?" (I)

"Makoto gave me a talisman. He said this will make a barrier and keep me safe for the night if I power it. Good thing that I learned how to do it." (C)

"Nice to hear, but I guess Zika won't be too pleased about a gift basket." (I)

"Pfft! Maybe not! She is a little tsundere! " (C)

"Was it really fine to be with her the whole time? I imagine that quite difficult." (I)

"She is very sophisticated but surprisingly considerate. Not once did she push me too far or made it too hard to proceed! Still, she kept me at the border!" (C)

"Well, she is an expert with thousand years of experience. If that is enough." (I)

"Hmm, she did seem to enjoy it at times!" (C)

"She didn't feed on you, right?" (I)

"No idea, but I felt fine afterward!" (C)

"Alright, alright, good to know that you are fine! Bye then!" (I)

"You too! Goodbye! And don't destroy the world!" (C)

"And you don't shoot laser beams." (I)

"Duh, I was just a little startled!" (C)

 

Before this drags any longer I head back home.
After today, I am a little bit on edge and extremely inconvenienced with plopping up eyes all around me.
Fortunately, people don't tend to look at each other on the bus and it gets easier to avoid being seen when I'm back out.
There is already the sunset coloring everything in red, which seemingly makes the ghosts all around me more active.
But I'm not really in any danger.
Chiaki should be fine too, and Makoto's family should be knowledgeable enough to deal with this.
And for mum I have Kuri.
For the latter, the simple fact that the area still stands is proof enough that they are alright.
I just hope that the issues Zika described won't be too severe.

 

136