Chapter 55
2.9k 21 124
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"How was school today, Iori?" (S)

"Not too bad, but I had to stop a cult from forming around me." (I)

"Was that a joke?" (S)

"Sadly no. There was this incident last week with some fans of the occult. Now they want to put me in charge even if I have absolutely no intention to do anything for them." (I)

"Is this one of these situations where I should tell you that you have to be careful who you be friends with?" (S)

"Uh, kinda?" (I)

"Sigh. Sorry Iori, but at this rate, I'm not sure if we're going to be able to keep everything a secret. I as well get recently sometimes weird looks at work." (S)

"Sorry. I really don't want to cause problems. Things just happen. I feel a bit defenseless about it." (I)

"I understand, and I don't blame you. I just want you to be aware of how things could develop." (S)

"Yes, I know. Maybe I should have erased their memories or something like this. According to Zika, I should be able to, but... it just doesn't feel right. I think it's wrong to play with other people's minds." (I)

"Sigh. You're just such a good girl. That's at least something." (S)

 

After that, we eat together as usual.

 

So, ehm. How was Kuri today?" (I)

 

I look at the small shape on the right between me and my mother which fills her mouth to the brink.

 

"She insisted to accompany me again today. Not like she left me a choice. Something about having to refill me." (S)

"Iiimm maainngh zur grammah iz wehll." (K)

"Kuri, no speaking while eating. That's bad manners." (S)

 

Again a bit of miasma drifts around mum to emphasize her point.
Guess Kuri won't talk anytime soon now, as intimidated she is by her.

 

"Ah yes, how's that going?" (I)

 

You know, the accidental demonization I caused.
I know from experience that this can be quite tough.

 

"Oh, I'm seeing things." (S)

"You do what? How bad is it?" (I)

"Guess the same as you do. More of those disturbing creatures some of them looking quite freaky." (S)

 

That they appear more frequently to mum now might be because I've told Kuri to hold back a little with exterminating everything she considers a threat.
And this is what still remains after her first purge.

 

"Then there are all the auras. My co-workers start to treat me a bit differently, which might be because my boss seems to be somewhat intimidated by me." (S)

 

Might be because of the black mass of miasma that promises impending doom if you go against her.
Along with the black eyes, this can really make one shut up.

 

"But for the rest you're fine? No weakness? No physical changes? No different personality?" (I)

"Guess not. At least I don't feel too out of place. It's kinda worrying hearing you listing all this stuff." (S)

"That's assuring to hear. Was actually worried that it could change you." (I)

"You shouldn't worry so much. That's not good for you." (S)

"I worry about countless things. Right now how I could possibly manage to sleep just for a night." (I)

"Still?" (S)

"I might not grow tired anymore, but it's annoying not to know how to spend the night. Do you remember how I told you that Zika suggested some kind of special meditation?" (I)

"What was about this?" (S)

"You know, the issue is that what I am isn't really inclined to wake up on its own again. That means I could sleep forever if no one's there to shake me awake." (I)

"Yes, sure. It would be terrible if you wouldn't get out of your bed in the morning. Exactly like always before your "issues" started." (S)

"Mum!" (I)

"Yes, yes. But you know, if your sleeping issues are so severe we would certainly help you. It would be nice if I could actually do something now." (S)

 

Kuri, next to me nods enthusiastically at this.

 

"I guess... I could give it a try. I'm a bit, well restless, whenever the morning dawns. So it would help me to calm down a bit, I think." (I)

"Fine. Then we will make extra sure that you won't sleep forever." (S)

 

How assuring.

 

After that, I spend some time the normal way.
Like an average human girl would.
Reading my mangas, playing video games with Kuri.
Naturally only those I judge to be in her range of age.
Until the time comes.

I have many thoughts about if it wouldn't be better to back out now and just stay up all night as usual.
However, if I take precautions there should be no need to worry.
I set my alarm for tomorrow morning and address Kuri.

 

"Kuri, this is really important. Should anything happen or if I sleep for too long you have to wake me up, no matter what. Do whatever is necessary, even hurting me if other stuff won't work. I'm really afraid of not waking up again, so please help me out here." (I)

"Uh. Yes, mum. Sure." (K)

 

Guess the part with hurting me wasn't to her liking, but I can't make concessions here.
Just the idea that I could stay forever in a "protected" condition that won't allow anything to disturb my sleep is creeping me out.
Which is one more reason why I do this here in my bed and not in my dream world where isn't even anything in existence yet that could change, not to speak of waking me up.

Now I have to concentrate on myself.
Could I maybe put up an internal alarm?
I'm absolutely positive that it should be possible if I wouldn't lack the insight.
I could at least try doing so.

YOU LISTEN?!
I WANT TO WAKE UP TOMORROW AT 6 AM!

Maybe this will work.

Now for the real deal.
I sit down cross-legged on my bed in this meditation position I know from all my consumed media.
Then  I try to detach myself from this world.
I concentrate on cutting off my senses, trying to stop thinking while avoiding real sleeping, which might transport me to a certain horror world.

This would all be much easier if I had any idea about meditation in the first place.
Following an idea, I shift into my demon form.
I guess this might make me less tense.
Then I proceed to force myself to calm down.

And finally, something happens.
I feel my consciousness drifting away, my limbs relaxing.
My awareness shifts away from my surroundings.
I don't open my eyes, but at the same time I'm worried if something might change on the outside.
Yet it isn't as detached as I thought it would be.
I feel still some kind of input.
Does this mean I can wake up, or did I simply do it wrong?

 

  • "Come to me"

 

Wha-
Okay, that was disturbing?
What was this in the first place?!

It sounded like a voice but it wasn't a voice.
As if I wouldn't really hear it, but just sense that it's there.
And because of this, it has no distinguishing feature that could let me relate to the individual.
It's just there.

Strange.

 

  • "Come to me"

 

Okay, it's still strange.
Now I feel something akin to a pull.
No, it's a bit less than this.
Just an urge to follow this call simply because I was called.

You know, like when you wake up in the night because you heard some noise in the kitchen and you want to investigate the cause.
Just a bit more abstract of a feeling.
Less urging, still ignorable.

 

  • "Come to me"

 

On the other hand, this is a creepy voice from the void.
So maybe it wouldn't be too smart to follow it back to its source.

 

  • "COME TO ME!"

 

Okay, that's enough!
I am not as stupid to comply here.
Forget it!
Denied!

Instead, I cut whatever kind of perception I had activated there and wake up.

Oh!
It's morning already.

 

124