Chapter 75
2.5k 23 97
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"What the heck do you even mean, Chiaki?" (I)

"Well, today was the last school day of the week. We have the whole weekend to spend as we like." (C)

"Doing what? What exactly do you intend to do?" (I)

"I really think you need a break, Iori. This leads to the question, what we are going to do so you can find some respite. And if Makoto comes with us he can make sure that everything is alright. Everyone's happy, right?" (C)

 

Makoto looks more than a little skeptical about this statement.

 

"How can you even believe this? As if it would be a good idea to let Iori roam the city like this." (M)

"Listen, Makoto. I know you probably had some trouble because of me and I'm extremely sorry for destroying the barrier and that your grandfather got hurt. But I seriously start to get annoyed that each and everyone treats me like some crazy maniac who can't wait to destroy the world. By the way, how is your grandfather?" (I)

"Still a little weakened, but with some more rest he should recover." (M)

 

Apparently losing too much lifeforce at once isn't healthy.
Especially for elderly people.

 

"So I guess I shouldn't show up wherever your guys have some presence." (I)

Not that I thought visiting Makoto a second would be smart.

"Then how about watching a movie? That new one about "The guardians of the shrine" got great critiques." (C)

"Those films are absolutely unrealistic." (M)

"Hate to break it to you, but my demon assistant forbade me from going for any kind of activity that might stimulate my imagination. And the monsters in there are pretty lifelike. In the end, I could create some stuff we really don't want to have in our world." (I)

"Oh, please no!" (M)

"Okay, that leaves sightseeing! What about visiting the shrines?" (C)

"Ehm, what about not? Seriously, I have every reason to believe that I and shrines are not compatible. Worst case, I start some kind of war of the gods. And might win." (I)

"Fine, everything spiritual is off the list! But wait, you can teleport, right?" (C)

 

I am worried about the direction in which this goes.

 

"Yes?" (I)

"Isn't this awesome? We can practically go anywhere! Just casually show up on the Mount Everest! Why not?" (C)

"I've heard that if you do something like that, the sudden difference in pressure is going to make your head explode. Or at least rupture something important in your brain." (I)

"If you say so. But what about going to a beach? We can basically just show up in Hawaii or Australia, That would be awesome!" (C)

"I can only teleport to places I have an idea about. Pictures might be enough, but if there are pictures that means somebody made them, which implies that people frequent these places. I can't just show up in front of them. How would I explain this?" (I)

"Oh right! It can be quite unsettling if you show up!" (C)

"Unsettling?! What do you mean?" (I)

"Oh, you don't know? Right, you couldn't possibly see it on your own. It goes rather fast, but first, there is something like a shift in the air. It becomes blurry, like when gas is heated or something like this. Then it turns into some black-violet color and in the middle forms a small fleshy ball. This one grows extremely fast with tentacles, festering blisters, and I guess... faces? Then it quickly shapes into your body and when you open your eyes you act completely normal as if nothing happened at all. I thought you would know. I can understand why you would spare this sight to people." (C)

 

Right.
A horror show.
I should have known.

 

"So no teleporting in front of people. Also, I really don't know how to easily take you with me. Aside from that, I'm sorry Chiaki, but I shouldn't use my powers for no reason. It would be irresponsible." (I)

 

Makoto gives me a look that translates into, "Are you actually believing your own words?".

 

"I start to get out of options. Even an arcade would cost money. It's kinda ridiculous how someone who owns a castle has such severe financial problems." (C)

"Well, the castle is just part of a dream. Does the term castle in the air apply here? It's not much different from building one made of sand at the beach." (I)

"Sand... Castle... That's it!!!" (C)

 

Whoa, that startled me.
Chiaki's outbursts are really something else.
Even her aura flares up with it.

 

"What is what?" (M)

"I start to feel dread." (I)

"We could... uh... you know." (C)

"No I don't know, Chiaki. What are you up to?" (I)

"What do you think about going on a vacation, inside your dream?" (C)

"My dream? Wait! You're seriously implying... There?" (I)

"Well, the bed was nice and the facilities spot on! Like in a better hotel. And aren't you capable of creating anything you want there? We could go to the beach! Or sightseeing! Okay, you'd first have to build the stuff we would go to visit. But overall it sounds great!" (C)

"Chiaki, do I have to remind you what is necessary to get there?" (I)

"Uh, please not! That's nothing I want to think about!" (C)

"And then you want to go there?!" (I)

"Well, the things we do on behalf of having fun. I mean "this" or six hours in a plane, jetlag, trouble at the custom of the airport, forgetting stuff in the hotel. It's hard to say which of those two options would be worse." (C)

"You are incredible!" (I)

"Thank you!" (C)

 

That was not flattery!

 

"Excuse me, what exactly is "this"?" (M)

"Ah, right. You don't know. To travel with "Iori-travels" she basically has to completely take us apart to the soul. And on the other side, she puts us back together. Quite hard to bear, but I already traveled three times with her. But I don't know if it got any easier." (C)

 

There are some faint hints in Makoto's expression that make me believe he might have his doubts about this endeavor.

 

"So you really want to do this, Chiaki?" (I)

"Sure, sounds like we could spend a great time!" (C)

 

That's her opinion.
Yet someone else seems to have a different one.

 

"I, I'm not sure if that's a good idea." (M)

"Makoto, you know Chiaki. It's already too late." (I)

 

We are about to get dragged along with her pace.
That must be the same feeling you have while standing in front of a tsunami a moment before it reaches you.

 

"You can't be serious, Chiaki! I mean, letting her take you apart?!" (M)

"Don't you trust Iori? I do. She wouldn't harm us intentionally." (C)

 

This "intentionally" might be what he's going on about.
But on the other hand, it's not like I'd be bothered in any way if we do this.
If Chiaki wants I have no reason to decline her proposal.

Well, on paper we would have high-class accommodations in a medieval castle (demon version).
A river close by (leading nowhere, without any life in it), forest trips (horror version), and a beach (sand and water impeding).
However, it would be safe and I could be sure that nothing goes wrong since I practically control everything there and can take the appropriate measures.
And it seems like Chiaki is fine with it.
So why should I deny this trip to her?

 

"Fine I'm in. But I first have to ask mum before we're doing something. " (I)

"Seriously?" (M)

"It's already decided, Makoto. You know there's no way to go against Chiaki. And I... She was a good friend and I feel like I have to grant her something in return." (I)

"Awh, Iori!" (C)

 

And she hugs me from the side.

 

"Damn." (M)

"Makoto, I promise nothing will happen to Chiaki." (I)

"I'll ask at home." (M)

"Eh, what did you say?" (I)

"I'll try to accompany you. Can't promise anything but I think someone should look out for you. I don't even know who of you two I'm more worried to leave to their own devices." (M)

"Ah, okay. If you say so." (I)

"Then it's settled! We will all meet tomorrow morning at Iori's home and depart!" (C)

 

Sounds like a plan.
A Chiaki-plan, but whatever.
Makoto leaves but Chiaki for some reason stays with me.

 

"Didn't you say we'll meet tomorrow?" (I)

"Yes, with Makoto. But I'll already come today. Would you mind joining me to tell mum?" (C)

"You mean, that you want to let some demon abduct you into a nightmare dimension?" (I)

"Nah, only that I'm going on a little trip with you. Like this, I can mostly stay with the truth." (C)

 

She uses a very wide definition of that concept.

 

"Okay, okay. It's not too much of a detour." (I)

 

Like this, we go to her home.
Actually, I'm a little uncomfortable keeping her mother in the dark about what we're really intending to do.
But it's still better than the truth.
We climb the stairs to their apartment and ring the door.
Chiaki's mother opens immediately.

 

"Chiaki, you're a bit late and... Oh, Iori! You're here? Are you well? Not too tired?" (E)

"Yes. I am very well. Recently my tiredness got a lot better." (I)

"Mum, Iori, and I would like to go on a small trip. Everything is already settled and we would return on Sunday." (C)

"Oh, that's something. Sure. Have fun." (E)

 

With this, she leaves.
She said it quite casually, but it also sounded as if she was a little relieved.

 

"It seems we can go." (I)

"Great! Do you think mum wanted to get rid of me?" (C)

"I think you are a little bit too much and even your family needs a break sometimes." (I)

"Tsk!" (C)

"Now do you want to take anything with you?" (I)

"Is this necessary? You can provide everything we need in your castle hotel, right?" (C)

"Maybe, but not even some casual clothes? Or a toothbrush?" (I)

"Would it really be mine when we arrive on the other side?" (C)

"That's a deep question, which I have no answer to." (I)

 

What I know points in the direction that I could really replace everything I take in with something artificial made from, urgh me.
That's worrisome!

 

"Well, maybe to pretend in front of your family or to use it at my home." (I)

"If it soothes you!" (C)

 

Chiaki puts some random stuff in the smallest bag I've ever seen.
But certainly, nothing she takes is intended to help in a sleepover.
With a beaming smile, she turns to me.

 

"Ready to go?" (C)

"Fine, you win." (I)

 

Deciding not to fight over pointless stuff I leave together with Chiaki after politely giving our farewells.

 

97