Ch 79: In deep shit
147 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Asura's POV*

'Well, this was unexpected.' I thought looking around as we entered the enclosure.

It had three watch towers each with a clear view over the treeline for probably miles and manned by two Swordsman each.

There were 3 buildings in the enclosure, one looked like an office of some sort and was the biggest one, the other smelled of food, and another smelled of humans. Sweaty humans.

"Ow," Zenitsu exclaimed as I nudged him with my elbow and pointed at the buildings with my eyes.

He went quiet for a moment to listen before whispering.

"Snoring." He answered and I nodded.

So we had a place to lodge and rest for the Corps members, one office of sort, and one building for storage of food and supplies. There was also a flat ground in the middle of the enclosure with basic weights and running tracks so probably training while healing.

"All of you turn." The leader stopped as we reached the office type building and turned towards us.

"Check all of the others and their marks. I want all of your ranks as well." He continued and I nodded for our group.

"Hey, Wrin-"

"Inosuke. Stop." I said calming Inosuke down. 

The situation made us look like prisoners of sorts and I wanted it to be over, preferably without having to break open jaws because I sure as hell wasn't using my swords.

That would mean any chance at the rank of Hashira to be thrown out of the window and I really really needed to get that rank fast, even more, so such situations don't repeat themselves.

I helped turn and show everyone's marks to the checkers and ranks were jotted down into a small notebook by one of the guards.

"Tsuchinoto..... When did all of you join?" The leader asked with a raised eyebrow.

"The most recent Final Selection," I answered.

"Ah, so you're one of those freaks like the Tokito kid." One of the guards said relaxing.

"That kid is a Hashira, a better fighter than everyone in these barracks and not to mention your superior. For that matter, even 3 of these kids are higher ranked than you." The leader berated the guard who promptly shut up.

" Tell me who were the representatives from the Corps during the selection? By chance were they really young kids, with white and Black hair?" The leader asked looking back at us.

" Yeah." I nodded.

'So he's high ranked enough to be aware of the Ubuyashiki and their children and wants to keep it a secret.' I formed my thoughts as the leader gave me a subtle nod.

"It seems some issues were formed from the Corps side. You were not made aware of some rules. My name's Kenji and I'm the leader of these barracks. I'm ranked at Hinoe and yes that's higher than yours." The now named leader Kenji said directing the last part of the sentence at Inosuke.

" All of you are from the same Final Selections?" Kenji asked even as the rest of the guards relaxed around us.

"Yes. Is there a problem?" Tanjiro asked even as he shifted the box at his back from one shoulder to the other. That was a sign I had assigned to him in case of danger.

'Oh fuck.' I said as sweat formed on my forehead.

I had expected a small lodging at best not a fucking barracks and now we had Nezuko surrounded by dozens of Demon Slayers.

'Okay, so Demon Slayers with incredible senses are rare. We just need to get out of here naturally.' I said calming myself down, and making a fist out of my left palm, it meant for everyone to stay put, and thankfully the night was helping as the guards were now relaxed and none of them had the senses to catch the very subtle signals I had assigned.

It was one of the benefits of having a team of Humans each with one sense that was unnaturally high, most signals were very hard to perceive by anyone outside unless they were looking for them in the first place.

"No there's no problem from your end. It seems all of you were not made aware of the Barracks and the procedure to approach them?" Kenji asked and I nodded.

" Sigh. Well, I'm sorry for the glares and the mishandling. If you could all follow me." Kenji said entering the administrative building and all of us followed.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience, all of you must be tired and in need of rest but this won't take long," Kenji said as we entered a room similar to an office.

I noticed some stacks of letters at a shabby table in the middle of the room, thankfully the ground wasn't just soil but instead wood.

 " I'll tell this to all of you beforehand so it never occurs again and all older members of the Corps are made aware of this. Whenever you wish to rest or reequip at a barracks you're supposed to send your Crow or Companion to us first with your name attached so we know when to expect you. 

 

All of them are aware of the locations of barracks and it allows us to maintain somewhat of a secrecy." Kenji explained and my mind only had thoughts of a cooking chicken with the name of Horus.

 The idea wasn't all too shabby, the barracks weren't the Headquarters. They were safe houses of sorts and even if you were aware of their locations it was one or maybe two, you'll need to be well traveled for a long time in the Corps and provided you didn't die and stayed loyal to the Corps then you'll know of rest stops which at that point is the least you deserve.

There was probably more to it but for now, that was all I could piece together as Kenji looked all of us over.

"The next time any of you approach a place in need of rest remember to send your Crow first. If you're in need to be carried then the Clean Up crew members are fast sprinters and will be better at carrying you to safety without hurting you anyway." Kenji explained with a smile that made the scar on his left eye crease into a slit.

"We understand." All of us said, well Inosuke just nodded half heartedly and Zenitsu was shaky.

"Great. Some of the Guards will show you to the lodgings, I suppose none of you would mind if it's a bit Cramped?" Kenji asked.

"No issue on our end," I replied intending to end the interaction.

"Good. All of your equipment can be looked over tomorrow morning. Good night to all of you." Kenji said and all of us stood up to leave.

"Thank-" 

"Asura Hashibira," Kenji said and all of our breaths got stuck in our throats, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Inosukes hand rest on his Swords hilt.

'Don't.' I did my best to convey with my eyes as I shook my head.

"Yes," I said swallowing the lump in my throat.

"You stay." 

 ___________

Author's Note: Join the Patreon to read ahead and support my Insomniac habits of reading books & lore at every possible moment while also helping with the writing speed (The better funds i have the more quickly i can buy that laptop to improve the writing speed)

Patreon.com/Ashara

Hope everyone has a nice day/night. 

6