Vol. 1 SS 8 – Royal Afterglow
1.3k 7 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Describe your workplace in four words. Planet of the Apes."1In German there are three words, cause: Planet der Affen. It's a fundamental truth.

German saying, unknown origin

 

 

Again somewhere in the private area of the royal family in the palace. Some time later.

 

"So Klien, what is there to report? What's going on with the witch? What secrets does she have? And why the heck do I hear that de Mitchcombe has taken to his chambers, bawling?"

 

"Your Majesty, before I tell you of the social event at Lady Laura's, there is one thing that will not tolerate delay. Lady Laura sends word to Your Majesty, and I quote verbatim what: Baron de Kurdal is worth to him. That is, alive, unharmed, in possession of his manhood and not enslaved. The good Baron has made an unpleasant impression on me."

 

"What?"

 

"Uh, yes Your Majesty, I am not aware of what exactly she means either, but I fear that if Your Majesty does not act quickly, Your Majesty will soon find the chamberlain hanging dead from a noose on the road. I very much regret not having advised Your Majesty that any action on the part of the court must be agreed with Your Majesty beforehand."

 

"Gods damn de Kurdal! Am I surrounded only by imbeciles? Find out what is going on between him and the witch! At least you're good for something."

 

"Thank you, Your Majesty. I live to serve you."

 

"Stop buttering me up, Klien. What can you tell me that's going on with the witch?"

 

"Your Majesty, what I can say with certainty is that it is very dangerous if not fatal to be caught doing this. It would be significantly better for the morale of my agents if I don't have to send them there. I will only use freelance agents on Lady Laura from now on. Even if it seems more expensive."

 

"Fortunately, Lady Laura is also missing out. She didn't discover all my agents. One remained hidden and we are in the process of finding out who and what helped him get there. As soon as I know anything, I will inform Your Majesty immediately."

 

"Good, very good! So the witch is not infallible. What else, Klien!"

 

"Um, so Your Majesty, regarding the purpose of the invitation ... Your Majesty must know, well only women were invited. And I and my men were not allowed to watch, possibly that part should be better explained by your daughter."

 

"Klien, I don't understand? You were not allowed to watch? You were under strict orders not to leave my heroines alone! KLIEN! VICTORIA! WHAT'S GOING ON THERE?"

 

"Your Majesty! I can explain ... "

 

"SILENCE! Victoria, what's going on there?"

 

"Well, Father, first of all, you should understand, it was a soiree for women ONLY. And for good reason, let me assure you. Klien showing up there with his men and de Mitchcombe was more than fatal. You have created more enemies than you can imagine with this action. As soon as mother hears about it, maybe you'll understand. Mother will not be pleased, let me assure you. And it's sure that she'll find out. You three have really screwed up. Captain Klien is perhaps the least to blame. He was smart enough to give in. No offense to you, Captain Klien, but I'm convinced she would have just killed you and your men and put you on display for your successor."

 

"I blew it, Victoria? I don't understand?"

 

"Father, she invited ONLY women. Not a single man! Don't you notice anything about that? No, apparently not, because you sent the captain along with his men and that imbecile of a court wizard as "chaperones." At least with de Mitchcombe you could have listened to Captain Klien. The idiot is too stupid for his own good. When, on condition that all the men stay behind a screen and not look, she allowed the captain to come into the room, she had ..."

 

"He had nothing better to do than watch?"

 

"Yes, Your Majesty."

 

"She then beat him up badly, father."

 

"Did the witch actually beat up one of the strongest mages in the kingdom, Captain?"

 

"Um, well, yes, Your Majesty. Among other things."

 

"Among other things? I don't like this at all."

 

"Father, she was parading underwear. And there were quite influential women present. High-ranking women, father."

 

"Your mother will kill me."

 

"More likely, you'll wish Mother had killed you."

 

"This witch is my downfall once again! It's almost as if this wench is doing this on purpose, luring me to my doom. And it's not made any better by the fact that my advisors are also throwing themselves on the sword of this abomination. Gods what have I done to deserve this? At least I have all the heroines back here in the palace and under control. No telling what might happen. We will strictly prevent any further outing or contact from my heroes from now on."

 

" Well, about the heroines, Your Majesty."

 

"What now, Klien? Gods! What else?"

 

"The heroines were quite displeased when they got the impression Your Majesty was monitoring them."

 

"Oh yes, father. If you're not careful, you'll create an uproar. Especially with the heroines. Unless of course you want to push them into her arms. You should know, I've seen Aunt Virga, Father."

 

"How is my sister, dear? And you and I need to have a talk Edward. I just had a very indignant conversation with a very good friend. You have some explaining to do."

 

"Mother, Aunt Virga is alive and well, at least by all appearances. She still wears the collar, though."

 

"There is one thing, father, that I did not understand. Aunt Virga was introduced as the Duchess de Halond. Do you know what is going on? Or you mother?"

 

"The succession of the title passes to the eldest child. If your aunt had not been enslaved she would indeed be the duchess. The marriage to the de Fawkes was to bring the money and influence in the city to the duchy. Klien?"

 

"That would explain why there have been no problems in the duchy so far, Your Majesty. We could also see a very high level of construction activity. These new highways, Your Majesty."

 

"I thought these highways were a matter for the trade guild?"

 

"In a manner of speaking, Your Majesty. The guild master holds a small portion the rest is owned by ..."

 

"The WITCH?"

 

"Yes, Your Majesty."

 

"All well and good, Edward. You can take care of that later. Now follow. You and I are going to have a little talk about your idiocy. Come."

 

 

 

"Captain Klien, I get the impression my father is no match for Lady Laura."

 

"The impression may be given, Your Highness."

 

"My father is the King and what he commands happens I am aware of, Captain. Nevertheless, try to give him the best advice he can get. This woman doesn't just tear him to pieces. She's putting up the swords that he's throwing himself into blindly. Whether she does it on purpose or by accident. It's what happens, better we don't delude ourselves. If we haven't already lost the girls completely any reaction from my father will trigger exactly this result. Fortunately, I have the young men under control. I will announce next that the superior hero will be given me as a wife. During this contest, I can influence them enough to keep them happy."

 

"You are very wise, Your Highness."

 

"Don't flatter me, captain. It is not helpful with such an opponent. The duchy and the de Fawkes are already lost. Make sure we don't lose any more supporters. Try to convince the Count de Mitchcombe that his little brother is not worth sacrificing his whole house for. I have already written off De Kurdal. Father should have told him clearly that this woman is to be left alone. But try your luck. Go."

 

"At your service, Your Highness."

 

 

It still tingles where she touched me. This woman could take me at any time and I would have nothing to oppose.

43