Vol. 2 SS 7 – Imperial Talks
562 5 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
42
DNA

tbh - after publishing a mass execution and casually mentioning sacrifices I had expected at least some hard words. And yes, the elves are not nice ones - I suggest: don´t fall for prejudices. Sometimes the cute little teddybear is an ice-cold, ruthless killer. Chapter 4 will bring some love to the system. "Some" love - Laura thinks that poor little thing is just hillarious stupid, so don´t expect billions of aquired skills, titles or exp in each and every step. Plan says next weekend. But some parts are difficult to implement without changing the course I like to sail. Means: may take some time. I´ll try to keep you happy with short stories and vss if it takes longer. No promises. This short stories was planned to be published at the 12. and that means I´m a little late with my quote.

 

 

 

Somewhere in the private domain of the Imperial family in another palace.

 

 

"She did WHAT?" yelled Katrina at her brother and father of her children.

 

"You know your daughter. I had just found out that the announced ambassador was actually a queen when Nadia barged in calling the queen and one of her wives sluts, and gleefully thanked Sergeij for the demi-slaves, who were actually her bodyguards and even more wives. Altogether, a diplomatic disaster and catastrophe. Frankly, if you had been doing the talking yourself, it couldn't have been worse."

 

"What a mess, Lev. Why didn't I know she was a queen? Lev. You're usually on top of everything and keep me up to date on politics and diplomatic affairs. Why is that? Look what she did to my darling!"

 

"Katrina, she did NOT kill your daughter. Queen Laura did NOT kill any of us. That is the important thing that you should notice. Yes, I - instead of Sergeij - should have noticed before that she is more than she appeared. Signs were, the gods be my witnesses, more than enough. In case you didn't notice, Katrina, she could have killed any of us with her "weapon" with ease. Furthermore, all of her guards, and I want to emphasize this strongly, though outnumbered and already captured, freed themselves with an ease that is unfathomable. That we are alive must mean something - it will not be due to inability."

 

"But why would she kill us? We haven't done anything to her?"

 

"Mother, please listen to me. Nadia has announced that she will torture and kill the women. How would you react if someone wanted to capture and murder Nadia, Father and me?"

 

"I would, of course, strike mercilessly. Anyone who says such a thing must die. And his family right along with him! You should know your mother better, Sergeij."

 

"Mother?"

 

"... oh. Uh. I think I understand. Thank you, Sergeij."

 

"Where did she come from? What do we know about her? What does she want? Lev?"

 

"Perhaps we can help answer some of your questions, Your Majesty."

 

"Crown Princess Victoria, We would like to express Our thanks for comforting Our daughter. Introduce Us to your other attendant, Captain Klien We already know."

 

"Your Majesty, may I introduce a descendant of the Clan of Heroes? Gunlir Okiba. He is a scholar and expert in the ancestral writings of the ancient heroes."

 

"Your Majesty."

 

"Scholar Okiba, greetings to you in Our palace. Crown Princess, you said you could answer our questions?"

 

"Queen Laura was summoned to Mitoran by my father's court wizard a little over a year ago during the Hero Summoning. At that time, however, she was not yet a queen."

 

"Then our ambassador's reports are true and the rumors of heroes in your kingdom are accurate, your highness?"

 

"Yes, Prince Sergeij, they are true. At the beginning it seemed to my father that they were a good suggestion of the priesthood of Nespote. Meanwhile, we all disagree. We didn't expect someone like Queen Laura. One reason for me to come here was to exchange ideas with the scholar Okiba. Our experience with Queen Laura has painfully shown that we are missing important knowledge. And have paid dearly for it."

 

"Then the other reason for your presence is an alliance against the summoned queen, your highness?"

 

"That is indeed the other reason, Prince Consort Lev. We can go into detail later about what has been going on so far. Scholar Okiba, please bring us up to the same level."

 

"With pleasure, your highness. First of all, it should be noted that there are always 21 people who are summoned during the ritual. All of these people are related to each other or are in the same room and, importantly, are about to die. There are always 20 heroes who are about to turn 16. The last person is always older and usually a very educated one. There is always a respectful relationship between the heroes and this person. In the ancient writings this person is usually called Sensa, it is not exactly handed down, but we think it means teacher. Our guesses say that the Sensa has a calming effect on the heroes, eases the transition and generally exerts a positive influence."

 

"I once heard Queen Laura called Senpe."

 

" Splendid, your highness. Indeed, she is probably that respected person. May I ask why she is not with the heroes? I fear without a restraining hand, the heroes are ... well - unrestrained."

 

"There were several incidents shortly after the summoning. Queen Laura left the palace the same day. The family of the man responsible, my cousin, declared a blood feud and was wiped out by Queen Laura a short time later."

 

"That is indeed a reason, your highness. The ways of the gods are strange and it took us a long time to understand what was going on in the ancient writings, but this is about the worst thing that could have happened. That your father could allow this relationship to become so poisoned does not bode well. Forgive my impertinence, your highness, what did Queen Laura do after she left the palace? Did she invent things or introduce revolutionary changes?"

 

"Is that normal? Yes, Scholar Okiba, practically on the spot she introduced new construction methods, new units of measurement, glass, mirrors and much more. She buys slaves in incredible quantities and sends them to schools before releasing them."

 

"Your Majesty, your highnesses, Queen Laura is what we call a builder/crafter. These individuals are very rare even among heroes. They themselves are not very strong in combat but they are extremely good at introducing new things. They are true treasures. If given the choice of having 20 heroes or a builder/crafter, I would always choose the latter. Everything they touch turns to gold. Not having Queen Laura on your side is not good. At least financially speaking. You' ve upset the 'goose that lays golden eggs'."

 

"We must disagree with you, Scholar Okiba, Queen Laura is as deadly as an orange viper."

 

"Your Majesty, did she strike first or was Queen Laura attacked beforehand? Please forgive my question."

 

"Our daughter led the first strike."

 

"Your Highness, how about you? How did she act?"

 

"Captain Klien?"

 

"Your Majesty, your highnesses, Scholar Okiba, all the incidents that I have been able to determine so far Queen Laura has only responded. Never attacked."

 

"Thank you very much, Captain. That is also a typical characteristic, as long as they are not attacked or harassed builder/crafter behave passively and it is reported that they rather want to stay secluded. I once even read "they want to be left alone". They are not as powerful in combat as heroes usually are. The lethality that Queen Laura displays, I believe, goes back to the weapon she carries. A weapon that, as I gathered from the descriptions, works twelve times in a row and then the arrows have to be changed. A problem in itself - but one that is solvable when faced with more than 12 opponents. Please look at what she has done so far. She introduces innovations that benefit everyone who gets involved. She builds schools and education costs nothing. She buys slaves and sets them free. All things that help and are peaceful. I expect that one of the first things she will build in her kingdom will be a school. Has she shown any effort to build an army?"

 

"We have heard through our contacts in the mercenary guild that she has spoken with the Kossakil. But she doesn't seem to have signed a contract with them. The Kossakil have since signed another contract."

 

"Just what I thought, your highness Prince Sergeij. Builder/Crafter prefer to leave the fighting to others and care more about the areas they are strong in. What was Queen Laura here for anyway, what was the purpose of her visit?"

 

"She was trying to improve trade relations. Father, what word did she use again? Reproduction?"

 

"Reciprocity, my son. Reciprocity in terms of all business. As long as we do not restrict, hinder or prevent anything, she wants to act the same way. If we introduce restrictions - she responds with the same restriction."

 

"You see? It's all about trade and business again. This type of summoned responds to attack instead of attacking themself. And I'm sure even now after being attacked she will stand by her word and still innovate, trade or do business here too. The actions of Queen Laura make no sense until you understand what she really is. It is said that the gods make the summoned ones a bit more ruthless than they were before. We think that is so they have a better chance to survive here. I'm sure the gods called Queen Laura to Maronde on purpose so that she would have a job to do here."

 

"Scholar Okiba, there is one thing that puzzles me about Queen Laura. We have tried several times to have magic-enabled spies find out what she is planning. So far, everyone has been discovered. I cannot explain this circumstance."

 

"Oh, that's easy to explain, Captain Klien. All the summoned ones are very magically gifted. I assume they used the 'disguise spell' and they were all humans or demis and not undead like vampires. She probably heard the heartbeat."

 

"The heartbeat?"

 

"Surely that was the case, your highness."

 

"It would be a terrible problem if Queen Laura were a villain instead of a builder/crafter. With a villain, the whole continent would have to be ready to go to war to survive. Villains are like demon lords. A very bad breed. But villains do things very differently. They build a hideout and an extremely brutal army. They murder, cheat, rob and plunder. Completely different from Queen Laura. She pays for everything, even treats her slaves well and spreads knowledge. Even the heroes will not be so reserved to withold when fighting. As unfortunate as it is for Mitoran to have angered her, she will not move against any country that does not attack her first. Should Your Majesty, your highnesses decide to attack anyway, builder/crafter are clever and resourceful. But maybe the heroes are willing to be persuaded. With some heroes at your side Queen Laura will have not a snowball's chance. What, then, are the special abilities bestowed upon them by the gods?"

 

"Special abilities?"

 

"Each hero receives a special ability from the gods during the summoning process. Over-the-limit, Inescapable-Attack, or Appraisal are a few examples. Didn't your court wizard ask, Crown Princess Victoria?"

"I will ask him, Scholar Okiba. Please leave us now, Her Majesty and I have yet to finish our discussions regarding an alliance. Nevertheless, I ask you to be at our disposal for further consultations."

"With the greatest pleasure, your highness. Your Majesty, your highnesses - with your permission, I take my leave."

...

"So Lev - where do we get 13 vampires?"

20