Promise to a God (7)
1.7k 2 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Although Kirin managed to sleep in for a long time, he still felt extremely exhausted. Sitting up in bed, he never expected to get a notification from S-01. 

[A side mission has been issued: Have Yuno inherit your throne and reign over the Deathly Flower Mountains and the Yin region.] 

YunoKirin thought for a moment. If that was going to be the case, he needed to start planning right away. 

How long have I been asleep? 

[Three days] 

What?! I’ve been asleep for three days? How? Has the betrothal message already been delivered?!” Kirin had no idea how he managed to sleep for three days when it felt just like one long night. 

[Host, the protective spells you’ve casted has taken a toll on your spiritual and physical state, causing you to sleep for three days to regain sufficient energy. However, the longer your spells are in place, the longer the time you’ll spend asleep to recover your lost energy. And the betrothal message has not been delivered.  

The message will not be delivered until later in this evening.] 

Why didn’t you wake me up? Kirin grinded his teeth. 

[Host, my duty is to assist you. You were not awake; how was I supposed to know you wanted to be awakened?] S-01 answered nonchalantly.  

Kirin clicked his tongue; his system sure knew how to talk back, however, he could not refute that statement. Now he was going to have to crunch everything in within his limited time span. 

Just as he whipped his blanket aside to get off the bed, his bedroom doors swung open. Jin came through the door with the three demon children following behind him, all displaying suspiciously mischievous smiles on their faces. Kirin raised a brow in question.  

“A-Yu, let’s go the human realm,” Jin smiled. 

“Why?” Kirin questioned as Jin stood over him as the three demon children peeked out from behind his tall stature. 

“It’s the summer fireworks festival tonight. You’ve been asleep for three days. Luckily, you woke up in time to go with us. For the past three days, we’ve been planning this trip. You can’t say no,” Jin reached over and gently slipped his fingers through Kirin’s fallen hair strands. Sensually, he lifted up the inky strands up to his lips, not touching yet wanting to be touched, Jin locked his eyes on Kirin’s. “You’ve been going to sleep often, and each time you fall sleep, the time span extends longer and longer, scaring me.” 

Though the demon children were practically glued to Jin’s legs, his whispers were so soft that only he and Kirin heard his last statement. Jin’s low, magnetic voice carried an ambiguous touch as he continued, “It seems like there is something you’re not telling me... but since you won’t say it, I won’t ask. Just spend this one night with me before you sleep again, alright?” 

A light subtly flickered through Kirin’s eyes. Don’t phrase it that way with that voice, idiot! Someone will misunderstand! 

“Aza, Ai, Ao, did you all want to go as well?” Kirin broke eye contact with Jin as he leaned over to the side to see the giggling demons. 

They were all shy and giggling, hiding behind Jin’s broad body. Kirin was not surprised that they wanted to go. They’ve never been to the human realm. Sighing with his mouth closed, a slight smile appeared on his face. “Alright. Let’s go.” 

=== 

As they walked through the bustling market in the city of Bai Yue, both Aza and Ai were so excited that they kept jumping from booth to booth, while Ao held hands with Kirin, staying by his side. Though the three were demon children, because of Kirin, he created fake human skins to disguise them as well as hide their scent and aura as demons – making them look like ordinary human children.  

Kirin was sure to indulge the demon children with sweets and gifts, filling their arms with all sorts of goodies. Kirin could not help but chuckle at their silly appearances, being buried in underneath all the gifts. Seeing Kirin pamper the children, Jin arched a brow in curiosity, held his hands behind his back, leaned in behind Kirin and spoke into his ear, “You bought so many things for the little ones, how about yourself?” 

Kirin shifted his eyes over to meet Jin’s, eyes locking. Kirin kept his cool and smiled naturally. “There’s nothing I want.” 

“Are you certain?” 

“En. Oh, wait! On second thought, there is something I want,” Kirin’s eyes suddenly sparkled. 

“Oh? And that is?” 

=== 

Waaaaa~! It’s pretty!” Ai exclaimed as she held the sculpted sugar candy that took the shape of a beautiful peacock.  

“Mine’s a dragon!” Aza exclaimed happily. 

“Which one would you like?” Kirin asked Ao, who was having a trouble deciding. 

Ao suddenly blushed and fiddled his fingers, “W-w-which one do you want, my king?” 

Kirin lightly raised his brows, amused at how adorable this child was. Smiling, Kirin reached over and grabbed the rising phoenix, handing it over to AoAo’s eyes sparkled with excitement as he reached over with both hands, taking hold of the candy as if it was some trophy he had been bestowed with. Kirin chuckled and patted his head.  

“Do you want one?” Kirin turned around to ask Jin, but Jin was nowhere to be seen. “Aza, Ai, where did Lord Jin go?” 

Looking up from licking their candies, they made confused expressions. Kirin suppressed a sigh, thinking that it was perhaps the gods that have come to fetch Jin to let him know of his betrothal, but Kirin didn’t sense and heavenly celestial presences... Did he go off on his own? 

As Kirin continued to stroll around with the young demons, the night sky began settling in. Kirin pondered to himself, where could that man have gone to? It wouldn’t have taken that long to receive the message would it... or did he perhaps leave with them? 

Shaking that thought from his mind, they continued walking around until they found a location on a grassy hillside to watch the fireworks. Settling into their seats, from Kirin’s peripheral view, he saw a large hand reach over, covering his ears as a warm breath tickled his ears. 

“Did you miss me?” the voice asked with a hint of expectancy. 

“Of course not,” Kirin bluntly answered as he allowed Jin to continue covering his eyes. “Are you going to remove your hand, or do I have to do that for you?” 

Jin chuckled with a magnetic ring, “Alright.” Jin removed his hand as Kirin’s eyes fluttered open. Appearing before him was a gorgeous hair pin ornament. It was a jade hair pin with golden marbling embedded into it; what surprised Kirin even more was that the jade pin alternated colors, fading between a jade color to different shades of purple, kind of like in an ombre-like fashion. At the end of the pin was what looked like an amethyst flower. 

“It matches your eyes,” Jin’s voice whispered next to Kirin’s ear as Jin had already positioned himself to sit behind Kirin from who knows when, embracing Kirin within his arms as he showed off the gift. “For you.” 

A bit hesitant, Kirin finally reached for the hair pin. Taking it into his fingers, Kirin could tell that it was very high quality. 

“How did you get such a gift?” 

“Don’t underestimate me. Even I am capable of making such items,” a light chuckle sounded in Jin’s voice. Though Kirin’s back was barely touching Jin’s chest, he could feel the deep vibrations engulfing his entire body, making a chill run through his body involuntarily.  

“Thanks, JinBut I didn’t get you anything.” 

“Just you being here with me tonight is more than enough,” said Jin. 

Kirin slightly turned his head over to the side to look up to Jin, to see his face. As the first set of fireworks were shot into the sky, illuminating the whole area, Kirin could see Jin’s face clearly. A tender smile with clear silver-blue eyes that only reflected him. His face was so close as their breaths mingled together.  

“A-Yu, I-,” 

Before Jin could finish what he wanted to say, everything around them slowed and came to a stop – time had stop. Kirin’s sense perked as he shot straight up out of Jin’s embrace. Jin also stood up as the three demon children came running over to Kirin, hugging his legs in fear. Gently soothing them, Kirin looked up to the top of the hill, there, emerged two distinctive people and an entourage, the Heavenly Emperor and the Moon Goddess. 

Jin was surprised to see them, but his eyes turned hostile immediately. 

“Lord Jin, I assume you’ve been well?” asked the Heavenly Emperor. 

“I have. Thank you for asking. In return, may I ask as to why his Majesty and the Moon Goddess have descended to great this lowly one?” 

The Heavenly Emperor gave a languid glance to the other presences behind Jin. 

“You can go up there. We’ll be alright,” said Kirin. 

Not really wanting to associate himself with these Gods anymore, because Kirin gave him permission, Jin forced himself up the hill to interact with the gods. 

“I see you are still hanging around that nameless demon king,” the Heavenly Emperor commented. There was neither approval nor contempt in his words, just a statement. However, Jin perceived that message differently. 

“Demon king or not, he is my sworn brother,” Jin replied back. “So, what do I owe for this visit?” he asked as he glanced over to Seila, who was slightly blushing. 

A lower-level god handed over a scroll over to the Heavenly Emperor who then personally handed the scroll over to Jin. Taking the scroll, Jin opened it and began reading the contents; his brows furrowing deeper and deeper as he read.  

After he was done reading the message, there was a disapproving look in Jin’s eyes. “What’s the meaning of this?” 

“It’s as it says – you are to be wedded to Goddess Seila in ten days and have your godhood returned to you. You are going to be a god again,” said the Heavenly Emperor. 

Jin just raised a brow in question. “... Why the sudden change?” 

The Heavenly Emperor made a notion over to the Goddess by his side. “Goddess Seila was very resolute in having you return to the heavens. After all, you two were to be married before you descended.” 

Goddess Seila flashed a beautiful smile over to Jin as she moved forward to grasp his hand, but instinctively, Jin avoided her touch, with an unreadable expression plastered onto his face as his eyes were slightly narrowed, as if he was unhappy to hear the news.  

But before Jin could say anything, the Heavenly Emperor spoke. “We’ll see you in ten days,” and left. 

It was only after their presences vanish, did time resume. The cheering and laughter of human voices; the thunderous clap of the fireworks that echoed through the air.  

“Good for you.”Jin heard a soft voice say from behind him. Turning around, his eyes made contact with the beautiful man who stood on the slope, looking back at him with clear eyes. “You’re going to be a God again. Congratulations.” 

=== 

Back at Kirin’s manor, in his private quarters, both him and Jin sat across one another at his round table.  

“Isn’t that great news? All of your efforts are finally paying off. You’re going to be marrying the goddess you’ve been pursuing for the longest time now,” Kirin smiled as he poured hot tea into a jade cup. 

“...Does it bother you at all?” 

“What?” 

“Once I become a god again, we’ll revert back to being enemies...” 

Kirin slightly furrowed his brow, placed the teapot down, reached over and flicked his index finger right at Jin’s forehead. The sudden pain shocked Jin as his head flew back before he caught himself, holding a palm to the pain. 

“Are you an idiot? Do you think that you being a god will hinder our friendship? If that was the case, I would’ve never offered you the help of returning you to a god. If you think that I place such little value on our relationship as sworn brothers, then I supposed I thought too highly of you,” Kirin bellowed in a firm voice.  

Just as Kirin stood up to leave, Jin reach over and grasped his arm. “No! What I meant was, are you really okay with me leaving?” 

“What do you mean?” 

Jin’s grip on Kirin’s arm slightly tightened. “Are you really okay with me leaving and getting married with Seila?” 

Kirin looked at Jin’s hand that was attached to him before looking up to see an expectant expression plastered onto Jin’s face – one that was saying that he wanted Kirin to tell him to stay. Kirin felt the heart strings in his chest tighten, making it almost impossible for him to breathe, but he has already made up his mind.  

Kirin sighed and lifted his other hand to remove Jin’s hand off his. “Yes, I am. And it’s getting late. You should rest and prepare for your wedding.” 

Kirin saw Jin’s brows slightly twitched before exiting Kirin’s quarters with no more words.  

After making sure Jin was no longer present, Kirin called for Yuno. 

“Yes, my king?” 

“Go to the Valley of Dreams and fetch me the finest silk they have. Bring the silk back to me tonight.” 

“Yes, my king.” 

57