Arc 2 – Watching Over You
2.1k 6 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Kirin opened his eyes, he found himself in a modernized looking studio.  

S-01: [Sending Host the information of this world.] 

Kirin’s current identity is a university student named Liam Queens, second-year college student at Soul University. Attending university, he was not in any major; he was just taking his generals. It wasn’t until his third when he was walking on the streets that he was picked up by an agent to model for his tall stature and handsomely beautiful looks. 

It was smooth sailing from there until his fourth year. He met a woman, Kristine Swells, who he fell head over heels for at first sight, but she only eyes for someone else. Pursuing her continuously, little did he realize that the hot shot Kristine was pursuing was Christopher Smith, a billionaire from overseas who owned many entertainment companies. Kristine and Christopher had a close relationship, as she was a model overseas in one of his companies and she fell head over heels for him, chasing him all the way from K country back to J country. 

However, as soon as Kristine told Christopher about the man who was pursuing her to no end, continuously annoying, it infuriated Christopher. From that point on, it was all downhill from there. Liam was not able to find anymore job offers and even ran into living expenses issues, being kicked out of his studio. He was even assaulted by men in an abandoned factory, crying for help. But in the end, no one came and he was left by himself. His relatives also suffered financial blows to their lives and blamed Liam for getting on the bad side of such a wealthy person.  

Kristine being harassed by Liam wasn’t the only reason why Christopher decided to make Liam’s life a living hell, it was also because Liam was one of the contributors who caused his younger brother Bryce, to commit suicide in their fourth year.  

It all started in their first year of university. Liam was just taking an art course, a skill in which he was quite proud of and was soon called a ‘teacher’s pet’ because of his closeness with the professor. However, soon, Bryce’s art skills began to outshine his and often gained praises and attention from everyone in class.  

This made Liam jealous. Liam was a hot-tempered and petty person. Towards the end of the spring semester, he began spreading rumors about Bryce; about how he was involved in drugs and gangs; Liam has even bullied head-on. Not only was Liam taller than Bryce, but because of his timid and introvert nature, he always shrank away whenever Liam verbally abused him or degraded him. 

And when Bryce found out that Kristine was only dating him to get closer to his older brother, it was the final straw, pushing him over his limits which caused him to commit suicide during his fourth year. It was also during the time of his third year when he met Kristine that he came back into contact with his brother.  

So, just before he took his own life, he did not blame Kristine, but Liam and his drunk father instead. 

Basically, by this time, Christopher was already aware of Liam’s bullying. And now that his younger brother was now dead, Christopher was not going to let him off easily.  

Homeless, jobless, and a college drop-out, Liam just roamed around every day, trying to survive for the past year. None of his relatives would take him in, not after all they have suffered because of him. Even his parents did not want him; both were divorced. Liam was only an accidental child. It was because of this that he always tried his hardest to get their approval and attention, but because he realized that no matter how hard he tried, he was never going to be accepted. It was this that led him to be so hot-tempered and easily envious of others.  

It wasn’t until someone snatched away the money he had been saving that he ran into the middle of road, not looking where he was going that a car came crashing right into him. His life ended instantly. 

=== 

Reviewing the information regarding of this world and his current life, Kirin could only frown. Right now, Liam was already a second year, meaning he has already been bullying Bryce for about half a year, since it wasn't until their second semester of their first year that they met. So as of now, Bryce has not come into contact with Kristine or Christopher. And was Bryce really in his right mind to only blame Liam and his drunk of a father?! Kristine was obviously one of the causes!! 

S-01: [What will your task be?] 

“For now, befriend Bryce and avoid any death flags for my future,” Kirin remarked as he sat up from his bed and walked into the bathroom. He was shocked by his own appearance. Short and wavy platinum blonde hair paired with his amethyst eyes. His looks were the complete opposite of Hua Yu – in terms of manliness; very handsome with striking eyes. Also, quite tall. Not to mention he had deep dimples whenever he spoke or smiled – a killer point that made the ladies swoon. 

It’s no wonder he was scouted, Kirin thought to himself. His body was also pretty built with nice muscles and solidified abs. Poking at them, Kirin began comparing them to his in his real world. Hmm, about the same. I guess??? 

Washing up, Kirin headed over to Liam’s wardrobe. Opening it up, he saw that there was not that much; he had to live on a budget because both of his parents only sent his enough to pay rent, bills and buy groceries per month. From Liam’s memories though, Kirin recalled that despite having a limited wardrobe, Liam really knew how to pair up and wear his clothes in a fashionable way. 

The second year had just begun so it was still late summer early autumn, meaning it was still pretty hot outside. Wearing a thin white t-shirt with black slim jeans, looking at the time it was already 8:17 in the morning. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, his earliest classes did not start till 10 am, so he basically had time to kill. 

Taking the transit from his studio to campus only took 10 minutes. Arriving on campus, Kirin decided to take a tour. It was a large campus with many large and tall buildings, but it wasn’t surprising considering that Soul University was one of the top prestigious universities in J country. 

Despite being quite popular with his looks, Liam was actually quite the loner and actually had no true friends as they would always talk behind his backs. Kirin traveled from the library to the cafeteria from the performing arts building to the art center, etc. Just as he had finished his tour, he saw that it was already almost time, time for his first class to start, which was located in a large auditorium. It was an art history course. 

Going into the large auditorium, Kirin already saw a large crowd piling into the room. When he finally made it through the doors, the auditorium was decently full with mainly everyone piled up at the front of the room. 

As his eyes roamed the room, someone caught his attention, Bryce. Turns out he was also taking this course. He was seated all the way the left side of the room, occupying the last seat right next to the aisle, the seat most accessible for escape. Thinking about nothing else, Kirin made his way over to where Bryce sat, sitting right behind him. Though the lighting in the room was dim and Bryce had long hair that reached his shoulders, it still could not hide the green and purple bruising on his neck.  

“Oh~! Well, if isn’t Liam Queens!” a cheery voice came from the side. 

As soon as Bryce heard Liam’s name, his shoulders jerked and he began trembling, though it wasn’t extremely noticeable if one was not paying attention. However, that action did not escape Kirin’s eyes. Of course, Bryce would be frightened; he has been verbally abused by Liam since last semester.  

“Mitchell,” Kirin greeted nonchalantly.  

As soon as Mitchell sat down, he looked to the person who sat in front of Kirin. “Ooh~, well~, well~, well~, if it isn’t Bryce? The gang’s all here~,” Mitchell chuckled devilishly. 

Mitchell loved causing trouble and getting into fights. So, when Liam ordered Mitchell to bring Bryce down before he ever took action, Mitchell was always more than willing.  

Bryce wanted to leave. But it was already too late; the professor has already started setting up his PowerPoints with the projector on.  

Mitchell nudged Kirin’s elbow and said in a low voice but said it in a tone that was loud enough for Bryce to hear, “Same place as usual after class?” 

Bryce began trembling as he tried scrunching himself into a ball. 

“Shut up, Mitchell. I’m trying to pay attention to the professor,” Kirin remarked languidly. 

Mitchell was a bit taken back by Kirin’s sudden remark, and so was Bryce. 

“Hah, what’s with you all of sudden? Don’t want to vent anymore? Did you suddenly have a change of heart this past summer?” Mitchell mocked. “Don’t tell me you’re feeling bad or guilty? This guy’s just a simple nobody and is a push over. Come on, I can even let you have the first punch,” Mitchell shifted over and sweetly whispered into Kirin’s ear. 

This was who Mitchell was; he was an instigator and loved riling Liam up just so it could give him a reason to beat up Bryce. And Bryce never reported anything. They knew he was too frightened to cause such a ruckus and tattle 

Kirin lifted up his hand to push Mitchell’s face away. “As a matter of fact, yes, I have changed. Why? Did you just want a punching bag and you’re trying to get me to give you that reason?” 

Mitchell was stupefied. 

Kirin adjusted his position, crossing one leg over the other as he rested his head against his arm that was propped up on the armrest. “How childish.,” Kirin smiled with a smile that did not reach his eyes. 

Mitchell was speechless. When he finally came back to his senses, he just furrowed his brows and stood up awkwardly before moving away. Though Kirin said he was not going to do anything, Bryce was still somewhat tense, but it was understandable for someone like him.  

Turning on his phone, he used the wireless internet to Bluetooth to Bryce’s phone so that he could insert a tracking bug. He wanted to see what kind of life Bryce was living in order to find out why Bryce was always covered in bruises and why he would always wear long sleeves, even when it was like 90 degrees outside.  

Truthfully, Kirin already had a general idea of what his situation was, however, he wanted to see for himself. 

=== 

After his classes were done for the day, Kirin looked at his phone and turned on the tracking bug. Looks like Bryce was just finishing his classes as well. 

Following Bryce back home, Kirin was very swift and professional; he was also very light on his feet as he followed and surveyed the neighborhood. Honestly, it did not look that bad of a neighborhood. But as the saying goes: ‘looks can be deceiving’. 

When Bryce finally reached his house, Kirin was hiding around the corner, peeking out. When Bryce went inside, Kirin emerged from his hiding spot and went into their front yard, making his way to the back. Luckily the houses in this neighborhood treasured their privacy with fences and tall bushes.  

Keeping his head low and crouched, he began circling the house, seeing that there were no security cameras in sight. Suddenly, he heard glass shattering. His ears perked as he quickened his pace and headed towards the sound. Making his way to the kitchen window, turns out the curtains were closed, however, there was a slit opening and Kirin had great eye sight.  

Making sense of what was going on inside, Kirin saw a man dressed in a messy suit with messy hair. The man was tall in stature and had broad shoulders. In short, despite being a middle-aged man, he was still quite handsome. On the floor was a man who was at least a head shorter, cradling his cheek with broken dish ware beside him.  

“That bastard! He dared tried to argue with me!” the man muttered angrily as he gulped down a few gulps of alcohol he held in one hand.  

The middle-aged man then sent a kick to Bryce’s face, knocking Bryce onto the ground. 

“And just looking at you disgusts me!” Bryce’s father spat before staggering his way to the living room. 

A woman then appeared; she was beautiful in nature but Kirin could tell she had ill-intentions only wearing a flashy lingerie with a satin robe partially covering her. She bent down beside Bryce and helped him up. However, she got handsy and began tracing the contours of Bryce’s body with her slender fingers. 

An uncomfortable chill ran up Kirin’s spine as he watched the scene play out. Not only does his father abuse him, but this strange woman that his father brought in was also putting her hands on him! 

“My dear, your father didn’t mean it. Come here, I’ll help comfort you~,” she said in a low seductive voice as she pushed her fake bosom up against Bryce’s chest.  

Bryce’s face became red as he shrugged himself from the woman’s grasp, “I need to go study,” he said in a hurry and dashed off to his room.  

Kirin decided he was going to wait for a while.  

=== 

It wasn’t until around 9 pm when he heard muffled screams from the second floor. Using his past life’s skills, he used the wooden fence as a boost to get onto one of the balconies. When he landed on the balcony from where the sounds were coming from, he took a peek inside. 

Inside, Bryce’s arms and legs were bound to the bed post and his mouth covered. On the other end of the room, sat his father in a chair, drunk. And the woman from earlier, was holding a whip and was stark naked. Looking at Bryce’s bare chest, he saw the red swelling flesh, anymore and he’d bleed. Bryce was crying as the woman was riding his father like a wild animal. When the woman was finished with his father, she moved on over to him, peeling his pants off. 

Red alarms began going off in Kirin’s head. He had to do something. Looking around the balcony and the window, the caught a glimpse of what looked like an alarm system. A wicked smirk appeared on his face. 

Jumping off the balcony and landing swiftly, Kirin searched for the largest rocks he could find and ran around the perimeter of the house, smashing each of the windows on the first floor. This certainly woke up Bryce’s deadbeat drunk father up and alarmed the naked woman. 

They both ran down stairs and saw the shattered windows. Angered, Bryce’s father ran outside to try and find the culprit, but unfortunately, he couldn’t. Now that this has spoiled his mood he went straight to bed. The woman was also feeling the same, so she undid the bindings on Bryce’s arms and legs and left the room.  

Seeing that the duo was going to leave the boy for the night, Kirin returned to his studio as well.  

=== 

Lying in bed staring at the ceiling, the image of what Bryce was enduring left a bad taste in his mouth. 

“This dumb idiot. Just because you weren’t loved by your parents doesn’t mean it gives you the right to treat others poorly, “Kirin mumbled to himself. "Everyone has their own issues."

=== 

When the day came that they had classes together, Kirin sat behind Bryce again, but didn’t say anything. Bryce could not help but tense up once again. This went on for the next three weeks. Not only did this not make Bryce relax but it made him more paranoid. 

Why does he always sit behind me? Why hasn’t he started spouted any verbal threats? Is he waiting for the right time to get at me?! 

As class ended, just as Kirin stood up to leave for an hour break, Mitchell came in and hooked an arm over his shoulder, making it look as though they were the bestest of friends. But Mitchell did not come alone; he brought along four other buddies. 

“Hey! Queens! We have not hung out in a long time! How you been?” Mitchell cheerfully smiled. 

“That’s because you’ve been skipping class. And get your hands off me. We’re not even that close,” Kirin removed Mitchell’s hand from his shoulder. 

This was also another bad trait of Liam – he was prideful and arrogant.  

This made Mitchell’s nose twitch. 

“Ah~! Don't say that. We’ve haven’t hung out and that goes for Bryce too,” Mitchell smiled as one of his buddies hauled Bryce over the collar. Kirin could not help but roll his eyes. “Come one. Let’s go to the usual place?” Mitchell tilted his head to the side with a sinister glint in his eye. 

“Hm, sure,” Kirin smirked.  

50