Watching Over You (9)
1.1k 1 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Honestly, I’m quite surprised that someone like you would believe such words coming from someone you do not know,” said Kirin to Christopher.

“But it turned out to be true,” Christopher responded. 

“Just so you know, they were also the ones who bullied Bryce. After the semester ended, I reflected upon my actions and decided to change for the better. They're only depicting me as the criminal after I whopped their asses for trying to beat up Bryce.” 

“... Why the change?” Christopher asked curiously. 

“Probably because I realized that taking out my anger on someone else would not amount to anything in my pathetic life. It did not make things better for me; it just made me mentally exhausted,” Kirin sighed as he closed his eyes, leaning his head up against the wall. 

“I don’t care if you hate me. I hate myself as well. This is my way of paying Bryce back for all those months of emotional torment that he’ll never be able to fully recover from. It’s my fault for putting more emotional pain onto him without even realizing what kind of life he was living. I was selfish and arrogant,” Kirin opened his eyes and looked at Christopher. 

“If you want me to stop seeing Bryce, that’s fine by me. But, it’s also a matter if he’ll let me go,” Kirin remarked. “And if you want to know who else was involved, just ask your brother. He’ll tell you. And honestly, I’m quite surprised that Bryce didn’t tell you about this; our past history.” 

“... It’s probably because he has already forgiven you,” a deep and mellow voice resonated through the air. 

Kirin glanced over to Kincade. Although it was such a simple statement, it was quite clear to Christopher that Kincade was trying to shield the boy. 

“Whose side are you on?” Christopher scowled. 

“I’ve been with him for the past two weeks. He’s a good person,” said Kincade. “Even if he has done so in the past, what matters isn’t how he acted in the past, but who he is at this very moment. And at this very moment, he’s your younger brother’s most trusted friend.” 

“You’ve only known him for two weeks. How could you be so sure that he wasn’t just putting up a façade?” Christopher retorted. 

“You’ve been separated from your brother for many years and have only been reunited with him for the past two weeks as well. Did you think that after being together for the past two weeks it have given you the right to determine what is right or bad for your brother?” Kincade asked flatly with no hint of anger or whatsoever. “Did your brother straight out tell you that Liam was being a nuisance? That he wanted nothing to do with Liam?” Kincade asked.  

“You didn’t answer my question,” Christopher scowled. 

“What difference does it make? Whatever that has happened between us is already in the past. Leave it be. If it bothers you so much, talk to Bryce later. But for now, we should head back. Bryce’s probably worried about us being gone for so long,” Kirin shifted and began walking away. “And if you want to settle a score with me, do it on the battlefield.” 

=== 

As expected, when the teams were formed, Christopher was on the opposing team with Mitchell and co., while Kirin, Kincade and Bryce were on a team. There were 20 people on each team. When they arrived at the battlefield, it essentially an enclosed section of the mountain woods with rocks and streams. 

Christopher’s team was color neon orange while Kincade’s team was color neon green. They were somehow designated as team leaders.... 

After the rules were explained, the teams broke off. They had a span of 6 minutes to get into positions. Once the starting gun was shot, the game will begin, lasting for an hour.  

Although Kirin had intended to buddy-up Bryce, Bryce disagreed, saying that he would be able to stand on his ground... plus, he was quite confident in himself with the experiences he gained from when he was overseas. With that, Kirin wandered off on his own, however, he did notice that he had a tail. 

“Why are you following me?” 

“Why can’t I?” Kincade asked. “The more, the merrier.” 

“That’s if we were having a party,” Kirin chuckled as he was hiking up a rock before coming to a stop. “Are you disappointed in me?” 

“Why should I be? You came out with the truth. I’m sure you had your reasons for not saying anything till now,” Kincade walked up to his side, patting his shoulder. 

“... Thanks,” Kirin gave Kincade a soft smile although what he clearly saw in Kincade's eyes was disappointment. However, he wasn't going to linger on that. Kirin skillfully climbed up a tree, taking his position. “I’ll cover you,” said Kirin before blending into his surroundings with his camo clothing. Despite wearing a neon green armband, it was easily missed if one was not paying attention. 

The starting gun sounded. The game has begun. 

Looking through his scope, Kirin made out the players that belonged to the opposing team who wore neon orange arm bands. Taking his shots, not once did he miss. He then tried locating Bryce, Christopher, Mitchell and co through his scope. 

When Kirin’s sight landed on Mitchell and co, a sinister smile was painted across his face, chilling anyone who saw him to their bonesThough he would’ve preferred headshots, they weren’t allowed and did not count. 

 Mitchell and co were nearing Kincade’s location, however, they weren’t the only ones. But lucky for Kincade, Kirin’s got his back covered. However, as Kirin was assessing Kincade’s skills, he noticed the way the man moved and handled his gun. Such skills did not look like someone who has gained their skills from constantly playing paintball - his skills were cleaner and more polished, as if he had received professional training.  

In a blink of an eye, Kirin mercilessly took out Mitchell and co., while Kincade handled the rest. To his surprise, Kirin could not locate Christopher through his scope. Because Bryce was not within his scope’s distance, he moved his scope back to Kincade, following him. Kirin was quite sure Christopher would come to find Kincade if he could not find him with Bryce.  

After watching Kincade for a while, Christopher was probably intentionally trying to lure Kirin out by staying low and out of sight - hiding from plain sight and taking out targets. If that’s how he wanted to play, Kirin was kind enough to at least give him some kind of entertainment, so, he ended up climbing down from his position. 

“Hey,” Kirin announced over to Kincade. 

“I thought you got my back?” 

Kirin gave his lower back a solid pat, “I do,” Kirin smirked. 

“Can’t find him?” 

“He’s not within the distance of my scope so we have to move locations,” said Kirin. 

=== 

As they walked further and further into the woods, Kirin’s senses suddenly spiked as he heard a rustle from the bushes that was about 3 meters away. He kicked his leg behind Kincade's, sweeping Kincade off his feet falling backwards. Kirin caught him before he fell and embraced Kincade into his arms as they evaded the orange colored paintballs that were shot their way. It was a rain of orange paintballs as they rolled and tumbled on the ground, miraculously dodging all shots.   

Kirin swiftly sat up and his eyes focused as he remained locked in Kincade’s arms, shooting all the targets in sight with no mercy, as did Kincade. 

When the wave was over, they slowly lowered their arms around each other and looked at one another. Kirin smirked and broke the tension, getting up. 

“Sorry. Actions were much more efficient than words,” Kirin smiled as he pulled Kincade up. 

“Duly noted.” 

Kirin and Kincade fist bumped in recognition of the other parties’ understanding in such circumstances. 

Just as they were about to move to their next location, simultaneously, both Kirin and Kincade turned back around and pointed their paintball gun to the figure that stood at the top of a jagged rock. Although there was a good distance between them, they were still considered too close for shooting range. 

“Liam. Kincade. I found you both.” 

“Chris,” Kincade replied back flatly. 

Suddenly, the sound of a gun echoed around them. Both Kincade and Christopher’s eyes were wide open in shock. Christopher was hit. And the shooter – Kirin. 

“You did good luring us out, laying out a formation that would be sure to get either one of us shot, however, your skills are only that of an experienced paintball player,” Kirin smiled as he lifted up his mask. “But I did expect more from you, Christopher.” 

Since Christopher was shot, even if it was at a close range, you’d think he’d leave to the dead zone, but he didn’t. It was at this moment that the one-hour timer went off, letting the players know that the game has ended. 

He just casually tossed his gun aside and leapt down to where the two were. This kind of attitude and action was not allowed; if this was breached, it was possible for the player to be kicked out and to never be allowed reentry. 

“What? You looking for a fight?” Kirin slightly tilted his head to the side as he moved toward Christopher. 

Kincade moved in between them, but Kirin pushed him aside. If a threat was coming straight for Kirin, and he knew he could deal with it, he would face it head on. 

When they were finally standing three feet from one another. Christopher took off his helmet and looked at Kirin. Just as Christopher moved, Kirin was ready to attack. But before he could even move, he was shocked to see Christopher bowing his head. 

“I apologize for my rude behavior and assumptions from earlier,” Christopher apologized. 

“Ah-. What?” Kirin was confused. 

Christopher lifted up his head to meet Kirin’s confused expression. Christopher explained. He had encountered Bryce on the battlefield early and confronted him. In anger, Bryce, chucked his gun down to the ground and forfeited, saying that Christopher did something that was uncalled for. 

It was then that he realized he never understood Bryce as well as he thought he did, just like what Kincade had said. 

Just like in the OG world, Christopher was weak when it came to his younger brother. He even formally apologized, Kirin reminded himself.  

“Like I’ve said before, it's all in the past. I won’t ever be able to take back what I did, but I can at least make amends for those actions. And I’ll be sure to let Bryce know that we’ve talked,” Kirin smiled charmingly. 

=== 

In the end, it was Kincade’s team that won by a landslide, mainly because of Kincade and Kirin. When they returned to the main facility, Kirin talked it out with Bryce and the brother duo reconciled. 

“Chris~, how could you have been defeated so easily?” Kristine sighed sadly as she came over and snuggled up to his arm. 

That’s right. Everything that happened on the field was recorded and displayed for those who remained at the facility to see.  

Mitchell and co were ready to approach Christopher in order to kiss up to him, but because he has already gotten the truth out of Bryce, he gave them the cold shoulder and death glare before their acquaintanceship could escalate to something more. 

Kincade was dragged away by Christopher to have small talk with some of the other members as Bryce and Kirin remained seated at their reserved round table. 

“I thought you looked familiar,” a low voice spoke from beside Kirin. 

Brushing his platinum blonde locks away from his face, he looked up to the person standing beside their table. He was a middle-aged man with a cleanly trimmed beard and moustache. 

Kirin didn’t want to be rude but he smiled politely and responded, “If you don’t mind me asking, who are you?” 

Bryce’s mouth dropped open. He seriously wanted to slap his own forehead. How could his best bud not know who this man is?! 

“Ah, pardon for my impoliteness. I’m Dan Khang. A movie director and producer,” the man smiled courteously as he extended his hand out to Kirin. 

“How could you not know who Dan Khang is?! He’s one of the most renowned movie director and producer of this era! A lot of his movies are blockbuster ones!!” Bryce whispered loudly to his ignorant friend.  

Kirin took his hand and shook his hand, “Sorry. I don’t really watch movies.” 

“No, it’s quite alright. Mind if I join you both?” 

“Go ahead,” Kirin smiled politely. 

When Dan sat down, he began spouting all kinds of topics to discuss with Kirin, and Kirin was quite lax, answering freely without restraint but was still mindful of his words – yes, like a natural-born professional speaker. 

As they were talking, Dan was assessing every aspect of Kirin; his temperament, body language, manner of speech, everything. Everything about him fitted the image Dan wanted. 

“Is there something wrong?” Kirin finally asked, noticing the judging gaze from Dan. 

“Ah, no. I was just thinking, you and Mr. Orrs has quite a close relationship. The coordination that you both displayed was quite marvelous,” said Dan. “Say, are you perhaps interested in playing a role in this upcoming movie of mine?” he suddenly asked. It made Bryce choke on his own saliva. 

Kirin looked over to him with an unreadable smile, “I’ve never once acted before in my life. I highly doubt that my skills would be of any benefit to your production.” 

Dan slightly shook his head. “Your very image fits this supporting character I’ve been trying to fill. Though the character is a minor one, his role is quite important for the development of the story. Of course, if you wish not to, I won’t pursue. But I do insist on you giving it a shot.” 

Kirin thought about it for a moment. It was true that at this moment, Kincade has not given him any job offers, so he is currently free. So, this should be alright, right? Kirin glanced over to where Kincade was and was caught off guard when his eyes locked with Kincade. 

Noticing the quick glance, Dan understood. “I can discuss this with Mr. Orrs as well. You are employed under him as well, correct?” 

Kirin shifted his gaze back to Dan, “Yes, I am.  

Dan reached into his pocket and handed over his business card. “You can reach me at this number. I’ll talk it out with Mr. Orrs, and I hope you will consider giving this a try. Try-out auditions are this Wednesday at 5. Well, hope you both enjoy the rest of your day,” Dan smiled and excused himself. 

“Dude! You should definitely try it out! Who knows?! Acting just might be your thing!” Bryce said with sparkling eyes filled with excitement. 

Kirin said nothing as he stared at the business card for a while. 

=== 

After Dan had excused himself, he went to the bar and sat down. He then laughed softly, “I can see why you are quite protective about him. He’s quite the character, not even in the slightest was he intimidated by my presence, nor was he putting up pretenses when talking. I like him.” 

Kincade said nothing, drinking the glass of water in his hand. 

*** 

Six days ago ... 

Kincade and Dan were in his office, discussing the potential actors Kincade was willing to have audition for the upcoming movie Dan was producing and directing. They were coming to agreements and disagreements on who would be applicable for which character and which scripts should be given to which person for the audition. 

“Hm, I have the main cast and most of the supporting cast selected, but I still have this supporting character I wish to find an actor for,” said Dan. 

“And that character is?” 

“Li Yun,” said Dan. “Do you perhaps have an aspiring rookie that you think might fit this role?” 

Kincade has already gone through the script, so he had a rough idea of the different characters and their role in the movie overall. He was also one of the sponsors for this movie, which is why he is discussing the potential actors for the characters. 

As he flipped through the files of his employees, a certain picture was peeking out from its vanilla folder. And it was one of the files that Kincade dismissed as inapplicable for the role. 

Dan picked up the file folder and opened it. His eyes widened in shock when he saw the file folder filled with all sorts of pictures, each holding its own personality – boldness, seductiveness, matureness, playfulness, sleepiness – in short, Dan was captivated by how this person portrayed themselves in each picture with confidence. 

Even though it was just pictures, he could still feel the very energy each picture displayed. However, there was one particular picture that captured his attention, it was one that displayed the emotion humans hated most – pain. If one only simply glanced at the picture, they would assume that he was sad or that he was lost in thought, however, the pain depicted in his eyes was beyond that – as if he had experienced that pain himself, and it was not physical pain but emotional pain. That’s right – the pain experienced from hopeless love. The emotion of loss.  

He looked at the name, Liam Queens. 

“Can I have him try out for the role?” Dan looked up to Kincade. 

Kincade took a peek at the folder, his eyes subtly twitched as he swiftly grabbed the folder from Dan and said with a polite smile, “He’s not interested in acting. He wishes to focus more on modeling instead.” Kincade was quick to move on from model in the pictures, which of course only piqued Dan’s interest in the young man. 

“Let me talk to him then.” 

“He’s still busy with university.” 

“But he wishes to become a model, right? Acting can also help his image get out there.” 

“Just because he will be acting in your production, it doesn’t automatically mean he’ll be a success,” Kincade calmly replied. 

“Hm, well, it wouldn’t hurt to give it a try, no?” 

“... I’ll get back to you whenever I can on that...” 

*** 

You are so cruel. You didn’t even mention it to the boy. You were planning on keeping your mouth shut, weren’t you?” Dan laughed. 

Kincade took another sip of his water, “Of course not.” 

Dan’s smile deepened. “If you’re so worried, just come along. After all, almost all of the actors/actresses there are from your agency. They’ll all just think you’re there to see everyone.” 

“I’ll think about it...” 

Dan gave Kincade a solid pat on the back before excusing himself. 

 

41