Holy mission. – III
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Are you sure?" Asked the chairman.

"Yes." Hydapset answered, resolute.

"You are one of the most valued members of our institute, you know that?"

"Thank you. But I do want to undertake this mission." Hydapset tore straight through the man's implications.

"If you are short of currency, perhaps I can loan some to you. You seem to be at the cusp of a breakthrough. It'd be a shame if something were to go wrong, wouldn't it?"

"Lord Gertrude, I do not intend to die. It's just a simple pest extermination. There is no need for worry." Hydapset insisted.

"It's in the Bloody Mist for Femke's sake. That's one of the 5 forbidden regions of the world for a reason. I'm sure you can find another mission that's just as rewarding. We cannot afford to lose a talent like you!" He cried.

"Lord Gertrude. Please. If I don't get combat experience, I will be of no use either way." He argued.

The man sighed in defeat. Perhaps he would have to send someone to tail the boy, make sure he doesn't get himself killed.

"Alright. Since you insist. But you'll need to report back from time to time. Every month. No. Every week. Yes. Report back every week. Do you understand?" Lord Gertrude stamped the mission notice.

"Yes my lord." Said Hydapset, giving the chairman his most genuine smile.

As he left the chairman's office, another man entered. One in his forties with a scar by his neck. Experienced in life and war. One the elite forces of the institute. Patikias. A rank 3 acolyte.

But Hydapset pay it no heed. It didn't matter to him. After all, he would soon be out of their grasp, sailing far far away. To freedom and purpose.

Taking his belongings, no more than small sack's worth, he caught a carriage back to Metelasine city. Today was his last day here. Not that they knew. Or would know for that matter.

And even if by unfortunate chance they did know, it wasn't like they could check up on him. The contract he had signed with them didn't mention anything about staying near them.

Neither did it include any method of tracking him. Hydapset had made it abundantly clear. Triple checked the contract even.

Thus all he needed to do was to be far enough away that they couldn't reach him. And that was easier done than said. The institute's sphere of influence was pitifully small and just a month's journey in any direction would render him free of their control.

And that is exactly what he would do. A ship going south straight away and a reprieve from this cold, barren land, one left far behind.

There were still hours before the boat left and Hydapset sat by the bar, sipping on his coffee, thumbing through his copy of Nala's History of the Modern World, when the door creaked open, a silhouettes casting shadow across the table, blotting out his light.

Hydapset turned around to see, who it was that would be here at this time of day.

Three people entered the bar, two boys and one girl, two leading and the one boy shying behind. Three acolytes, a level above him, their skin the color of ebony, their teenage bodies marked with runes. Runes in a very familiar shape. A hand. Acolytes of the sacred order.

What were they doing this far north? Had there been demonic incursions up here?

He needed to know.

As they took a seat and ordered a pint of ginger ale each, as Hydapset scooted over, just shy of the girl.

She looked at him with curiosity, much like a predator looked at prey.

Cheeky brats! He thought.

Nevertheless, it was him who needed something. So he teturned the look. Only his reply was  a kindly, welcoming smile.

The girl took a sip of her ale, the boy following suit, staring back at Hydapset.

"What?" The boy snapped.

"Friends, friends, relax. I just want to ask a few questions. Say, this round is on me. How does that sound?" Hydapset de-escalated.

"What do you want to know?" Asked the girl.

"Not much. I just happened to notice the hand." Hydapset said, pointing at the tattoos on her exposed shoulder.

"You're part of the sacred order, yes?"

"Uh huh?" The girl affirmed, taking a big gulp of her ale.

"What of it?" She added.

"What brings you up here? I hadn't heard of any demonic sightings in these parts. Quiet is what it is. So I was wondering..." Hydapset led.

"True. There are no demons here. We just happened to stop by. A detour. Or so the captain said. Our ship leaves in a couple of hours. Nothing much really. Why do you ask?" The girl answered.

"Just curious." Hydapset answered, adding, "Can't afford to go around running into demons now can I? I'm not as strong as yourselves after all." He replied.

"I wouldn't be so sure." Said one of the boys.

"Those muscles tell an entirely different tale!" He prodded teasingly.

"Thanks. I worked hard for them." Hydapset reciprocated.

"Yours aren't half bad neither. I hear," Hydapset continued, "you all have some tough methods to deal with them demons? Is the bombshell physique part of the training or are you all just naturals at it?"

The boy grinned, pumping his biceps at him.

"Nah. All natural. But that's just me. I don't know about these two bozos though."

The girl slapped his back in retaliation.

"Ouch! Ruchi?!" He cried.

"It's part of the training too, but Dhiren here was a natural from the start." Ruchi clarified.

"Actually, I have something I'd like to show you." Said Hydapset.

He pulled out the vase fragment and placed it onto the counter, pushing it towards the trio.

The girl looked at it curiously and asked, "What is this? An imitation? Hand themed art?"

"Are you an admirer? Or collector of curiosities? You know it's not good for progress as a magus. Obsession, that is." The boy warned.

The third member of the trio glanced over and his eyes lit up in recognition.

"A relic from ages gone by! Can I see it?" He said, reaching for the shard.

"Sure." Said Hydapset, pushing it further towards the boy.

"What's it? Some artifact?" Asked Dhiren.

"No. It's an ancient vase. One used to sealed demonic spirits. It's very old too. Like age of Femke old." The boy replied.

"That old? Must be a good .. what? 18000? 20000 years?" Hydapset muttered, flipping through the pages of his history book.

He came to rest upon a page he desired.

"Age of Femke. Seventeen thousand years ago. Preceded by the Age of Loci. Succeeded by the Age of Ojewas." It read, further elaborating in detail the circumstances that lead to both, it's rise and fall.

"Ah! Lady Nala's History of the Modern World, Vol. 3. It's not very comprehensive. I'd suggest going for a more specialized study. Perhaps try the Rise and Fall : Beyond Fated Times by Edgar Halpen III if you want to really get into the nitty gritty details." The boy advised.

"I did try," said Hydapset, "but there weren't any copies up for sale unfortunately."

"I think I had one with me. You can buy it off me later." Said the boy, handing back the vase fragment.

Hydapset put it back into his bag, adding, "Sure. Coincidentally, I'm leaving today by ship too."

"Red hair, one eye?" Said Ruchi.

"The captain? Yes. Are you guys on the same ship as well?" Hydapset asked.

"It must be fate then. Come, make a toast to our journey together!" Said Dhiren. He had already ordered a third round of drinks for the rest of us.

Hydapset lifted his pint of ginger ale and clanked the tankard against theirs.

"To fate!" Said Dhiren.

"To fate!" They replied.

As he downed the ale, nostalgia hit him hard. In one of his past missions, specifically the one on Perlhaim, he had had met his third wife, in a bar quite like this. She had been the one to order him a drink that time too.

He still remembered her brown hair, her golden eyes, shining like the moon.

He remembered their first kiss, under a bridge. Her lips tasted of pork belly and ginger ale. And then she puked. Right into his mouth. Oh how he had hated that. But now, even that was just a fond memory. The day they had their vows, the birth of his second son. He took after his mother, with those pale golden eyes. He had seen her strong, heady, feisty; and he had held her as she breathed her last. His chest clutched. The tears. They spilled from his eyes. Not for long though. He had at least that much self control. That was one of the benefits of being pseudo immortal. The experience helped. And this was also it's curse. To see all those you love die before you, to see the world and everyone in it be replaced twice over in less than half your lifetime, everyone, everything you once knew gone forever. But there were prices. Prices for everything. Ones he was willing to pay.

He wiped his tears, and downed the rest of the pint, resting his tankard roughly upon the mahogany counter, nearly knocking his earlier coffee off.

"Hey!" The barkeep protested. He ignored her.

"In all the worlds, ginger ale is the one thing that never changes huh?" Hydapset muttered, positing an amateur observation to no one in particular.

A set of clanks resounded beside him as glares landed on his person.

It was then that he realized his mistake.

He leapt back, using the counter as fulcrum. In one smooth sweep he pulled out his shield spell scroll, tearing it open, just in time to block the incoming spells - a blazing chain and a bolt of lightning.

"In all the worlds eh?" Dhiren glared at him.

"I can't believe I didn't spot one so close!" Ruchi groaned in displeasure.

"Wha.. how...I thought you were a decent person?!" Cried the last of them.

"Well, tough luck." He muttered.

"Any way we canall come to an agreement?" Hydapset added, patting his bag, even as he shifted towards the door.

"We don't negotiate with demons!" Said the boy, prepping another bolt.

Hydapset didn't wait for him to finish though.

He rushed out the door, barely avoiding the lightning, as the door blasted open, wooden chips become shrapnel, shredding through the other patrons. At least the ones foolish enough to not have left at the first strike. Not that the bar had many patrons at midday.

The hunters rushed out as the debris settled, minor cuts adorning their arms where the shrapnel had hit.

Too late. Hydapset was already a quarter of a mile away, sprinting at full force towards the carriage station, his pursuers hot on his heels, though not quite close.

He slammed through the station door, pulling out his knife from the bag, the vase fragment accompanying it on the way out. He turned around for a brief moment, catching the shard mid air, before lunging at the nearest carriage.

He grabbed onto the coach and swung off the rails, chopping the lead off of the nearest horse. He stepped off from the coachman's seat and mounting the horse with force.

As he settled into the creatures back, the doors to the station slammed open once more, as a dozen feet away, the hunters tumbled in.

They scoured the station spotting him and burst forward in his direction, their hands lighting up with a dim lustre, prepping a spell.

He couldn't let that hit. Especially now that the shield spell had worn off.

Hydapset prodded his horse with a sharp kick sending it straight into full gallop.

With one swift slash he cut the other horse's lead as well, sending it careening off. No transportation for his pursuers.

"Ciao Friends! I hope to never see you again!" He shouted, dealing the hunters a final insult, just as a courtesy, as they scrambled to get a hold of the remaining equine, helpless to stop him.

He was tempted to go with the calssic 'So long Suckers!' but in truth they weren't quite the fools that'd make of them. But that was neither here nor there. And it didn't matter now. He had all but escaped. A simple ciao would have to do.

0