Chapter 8: Fulfilling Duties
570 1 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Freya poured energy into the carved wood talisman. Using her shaman staff, the task was simple. She had hoped whatever odd abilities the game curse gave would allow her not to use her shaman staff. But for things like this, she still needed it.

She discovered this fact last night. After she arrived back in Safka’s town square, she remembered her shaman’s staff was still at Azer’s house. Before this whole mess started, she promised Allen–the merchant down the street–a compress and talisman for his father’s knee. For the talisman against pain to work properly, it needed to be infused with energy. She tried it without her staff, but she couldn’t properly transfer her qi energy into the talisman. 

Thus a late-night trip into the countryside to get her staff back.

Finally, a day late, she could give the promised talisman. She had an apology prepared in her head.

“This is why I shouldn’t be involved in that game mess,” Freya mumbled to herself.

She was the Shaman of Safka. She spent seven years since age eleven studying to be a shaman. People relied on her. Sure, she wasn’t busy every day. But she had to be available to help with a demon in a cupboard or soothe a cough. 

When she was first offered a shaman apprenticeship, Freya was over-joyed. It sounded like such an interesting profession. Her shaman master Linik Arbuta–or Master Linik as she called him–said she had powerful meridian lines that would enable her to produce strong qi. 

Indeed, she never had trouble pouring energy into her shaman staff. So, most of her apprenticeship focused on memorizing potion recipes and the proper way to prepare ingredients. It was interesting, but the moments of actual excitement were few and far between. Now, as a full-fledged shaman, things were even less exciting since there was nothing left to learn.

Entering the merchant shop, she didn’t see anyone at first. But a grey text box above a stack of books gave away the presence of a person. Freya thought it was just the people of Pelophia that had this informational box thing applied to them, but everyone had those grey boxes now.

[Allen Waritz]

[Lvl 9 Merchant]

“Good morning Allen,” Freya called out.

A head poked out from the books, “Morning Shaman Evenkey!” 

“Is your father here? I have the talisman. I’m really sorry for the delay. I wish I had it ready for you last night.”

“Oh, don’t worry yourself! My father’s in the backroom. The compress you gave him last night helped him well enough I think.”

“That’s good to hear,” Freya said, but the guilt still nagged at her.

Heading to the back storage room, she found Allen’s father moving around boxes. His knee didn’t seem to be bothering him too much. Freya gave him the talisman and told him to tell her if the pain came back again.

As he put the talisman around his neck, she stared at the text box above the older man’s head.

[John Waritz]

[Lvl 8 Merchant]

Unease prickled her skin. How could this game curse have spread so far? Or was the curse within her? 

Last night Freya dug through all her old books looking for any description that matched her symptoms, but nothing came close.

Maybe I should ask Master Linik about all of this, Freya thought to herself. Then she pictured actually telling her shaman master she picked up a strange object and since then had possible hallucinations. Given his constant warnings about wizard made objects and other potentially cursed items, she could imagine his disappointment.

Well, before that, maybe I should research more about it. No, no, I shouldn’t get any more involved. But if this is a new curse it would be good to document it…

Once Freya exited the back, she saw someone talking to Allen. The stranger looked like a young girl, no older than fourteen. She wore a purple tunic with gold-colored embroidery, knee-high boots, and a purple scarf. On her waist sat two swords.

Above her head, a green box shone.

[Talindra]

[Lvl 30 Samurai]

Freya re-read the text box, heart thumping in her chest.

“It’s a unique item,” Talindra insisted. “It must be worth more than a piece of silver.”

Allen scratched his head, “Well, I’ve never seen anything like this. I don’t know who I would sell this to.”

Freya looked at the item in question; as soon as she did, another text box popped up over the wooden case in Talindra’s hand. 

[Secret Skin and Stylograph Set]

[Item Class: Unique]

[This linked set contains a paper skin graph and stylograph pen. Whatever is written by the pen will show up on the linked paper skin graph for one hour. The paper skin graph can be placed on any location on the body. Once held over a section of skin for more than one minute the paper will permanently graph to that skin. It cannot be removed.]

“Interested in making a trade?” Talindra asked, noticing Freya leaning in to read the description.

A bad idea brewed in the back of Freya’s mind.

“Oh no, well it’s an interesting item.”

“I got it in a level 30 dungeon. It may sound a little weird, but I’m sure it would be useful given the right circumstances.”

“Level 30? Wow,” Freya said, remembering the suggested level for that pearl cave was level 25. 

“You’ll get there,” Talindra said, resting her hands on the sword hilts strapped to her waist.  

Freya looked down at the younger girl. Talindra smiled confidently back at her.

“I don’t see many martial artists, but level 13? You’re not doing so bad. Discovered any pieces of sonder yet? Well, besides that freebie they give you in the newbie dungeon.”

“Oh, um well…”

Talindra held up at her hands, “It’s okay, you don’t have to answer. But how about it? You looked interested in this.”

She held out the ornate box. The text box activated again.

Her heartbeat echoed in her head. If she had this item, maybe she could travel but stay linked to Safka. Freya tried and failed not to sound too interested.

“Well... how much?” 

“I’m thinking a gold coin. It is a unique item after all.”

Freya rubbed her chin. She had a lot of gold coins. While picking up her shaman’s staff she collected Azer’s dropped belongings, which included plenty of gold coins. She could just buy it; she didn’t have to use it.

“Okay, a gold coin.”

They made the exchange. Freya received the ornate wood box containing the item set. She looked inside to see if what the text box said was true. A translucent piece of paper and a chunky pen were nestled in the box.

Talindra nodded to Freya, “Well then, see you around and best of luck to you!”

The shop door closed with a thud.

Allen asked, concerned, “Why did you buy that?”

“Oh, it’s for a bad idea I have.”

29