Chapter 24: Shaman Training
400 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, you’re really a shaman.”

Heilong stood at the entrance of Freya’s shop. Early morning sunlight streamed in behind her. Stepping in, she gazed at all the glass bottles and dried herbs on the shelves.

“Why does everyone doubt it?” Freya said, looking at Infamous Biscuit, who entered behind Heilong.

“Well, you look more like a shaman now, with the black cloak and all,” Heilong said.

Freya adjusted her garment, “Black cloaks aren’t required, but I suppose it helps people recognize us. My staff also helps too.”

Leaning against the counter sat her wooden shaman staff. Heilong looked at it with keen interest. She also noticed a small wooden sign on the counter that said: {Shaman Evenkey}

Freya guided them to the small round table at the front of her shop and gestured for them to sit down.

“Once again, I don’t know if teaching you shaman skills will help you learn this Meridian Manipulation skill, but I’ll do my best. Are you ready to start?” 

“Yes!” they both answered.

“Thank you for offering to teach us Shaman Evenkey-sensei,” Heilong added.

Infamous Biscuit rolled his eyes.

“What does ‘sensei’ mean?” Freya asked, confused.

“Nothing.” “It means teacher.”

“Not a fan?” Heilong jeered.

“I just think it’s weird. Anyway, what are we learning today?”

Freya cleared her throat, “First, I think we should start with the basics. I forgot about this stage since I didn’t practice it for very long, but it might have something to do with Meridian Manipulation.”

She looked at Infamous Biscuit, “Before, I was telling you to direct your energy into your staff, but directing your energy won’t help if it's not moving at all. You both have strong qi, but you’re not familiar with working with it. Close your eyes.”

Once they both closed their eyes, Freya closed hers too, trying to remember how her master taught this.

“Relax your body—sense inside yourself. You have energy running all over your body. It concentrates most at your chest. Just take some time to observe it, feel it.”

Freya also followed her own instructions. Warm, familiar energy paths flowed through her body. 

“This energy is your qi. Its core is near your heart. When you breathe out, imagine your core of energy expanding, spreading down to your fingertips. When you breathe in, imagine it condensing. 

Take slow deep breaths and try to grow your qi with each breath.

Add fuel with each inhale and allow you qi to burn outward with each exhale.”

She led them by taking slow, deliberate breaths and then continued listening to them practice for several minutes. 

“Do you feel anything?” she asked quietly.

“I think so,” Heilong said, with her eyes still closed.

“Maybe, I’m not sure,” said Infamous Biscuit. His brow was scrunched together.

“It may take some time,” Freya reassured them. “If you want, I can check how much your qi is flowing. Lay an arm on the table, and I’ll examine your meridian lines while you do the exercise.”

They both put one arm on the table. Freya gently touched their palms.

She sensed a slight ebb in Heilong’s meridian lines. However, Infamous Biscuit’s meridian lines seemed to be straining and distorting rather than flowing within.

“Biscuit, relax.”

Heilong laughed. Everyone’s concentration broke.

Freya blushed, “I’m not calling you by your full name. It’s just awkward.”

At least Infamous Biscuit’s meridian line’s relaxed.

“Hey, it’s a cool player name. I came up with it myself,” he said in defense. “It is a little long, but shorting it to Biscuit is a little…”

“Cute,” Heilong said.

“Can’t I have a different nickname?”

“No, I like Biscuit.”

“How about Bis,” Freya compromised, “It’s short and easy to say.”

“Okay, yeah Bis is good.”

“Tch,” Heilong crossed her arms.

“Bis, you’re straining your meridian lines,” Freya said, getting back on topic. “You don’t need to move the entire system. Picture you qi like water flowing through pipes. Don’t move the pipes. Moving them too much will break them.”

Infamous Biscuit looked at her seriously, “Will that cause permanent damage?”

“Not necessarily. Just like broken bones can heal, your meridian lines can too. Shaman help mend meridian lines all the time. However, if they are repeatedly damaged or distorted, it can manifest as a chronic physical problem.”

“I see,” he said. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes again. Laying his hand on the table, he started again.

Freya reached for their hands once more.

“Heilong, I can feel a slight ebb in your meridian lines. Keep practicing, and I think you’ll gain more power.”

“I will work hard sensei.”

Freya focused back on Infamous Biscuit. He wasn’t straining himself anymore, but his qi remained still.

“Bis, let’s take a step back for a moment,” Freya said, squeezing his hand.

“Think of something that makes you happy. It can be big or small. Just a moment that made you happy to be alive.”

Infamous Biscuit sat back and thought.

“For example,” Freya said, closing her eyes, “that memory for me is this one summer day I was picking mint. A band was playing in town, and I could still hear it out in the woods. I had exorcised a demon on my own for the first time. My master promised me a cake later that day. I don’t even remember eating the cake now, but I remember that moment in the woods, where my heart just felt light.”

Infamous Biscuit scratched his beard, “I think I do have a memory, but…”

“You don’t have to describe it to me; just picture it in your head.”

He closed his eyes.

“Reflect on that feeling of being alive. Let it swell in your heart.”

Freya noticed his shoulders relax, and his hands unclench.

“Now look at your heart, your core. Kindle that fire.”

His qi felt more alive than before. As he started to breathe in and out, Freya sensed his energy moving.

“Yes, that’s it. Keep going.”

Freya quietly watched them. She reprimanded herself for not thinking about all this earlier. It was only after digging through her old apprentice notes that she remembered her very first day of shaman training involved controlling her qi. She had the opposite problem as them; her qi was moving too much. Learning to quell it and direct it at useful things was a different process.

She observed both of them for a few more minutes and then called the session to an end.

“Okay, that’s enough for today. Feel free to practice on your own. Get used to the feeling of your qi and how it moves around your body. Once you’re familiar enough with it, we’ll move onto pushing it outside your body, but I think it’s important to focus inside yourself first.”

“How long did it take you to push out your qi?” Heilong asked.

“Well-”

Ting! Ting!

The bell over the door rang, a girl in a long white dress entered the shop.

“Sorry, are you busy at the moment?”

“Oh Tamila, no, it’s alright. What do you need?” Freya said, standing up, relieved she didn’t have to answer Heilong’s question.

The girl nervously touched her gloved hands, “I think my sister’s talisman needs a recharge.”

“I see. I’ll come over now. Um,” she glanced at Heilong and Infamous Biscuit. “Do you mind if I bring company? They’re interested in shaman work and are learning a bit from me.”

“I don’t mind. My sister will probably like the company.”

“Thank you, let’s go now.”

Freya grabbed her messenger bag and followed Tamila out of her shop. 

“Is it really alright if we come along?” Heilong asked.

“It’s fine,” Freya reassured her. “Like Tamila said, her sister Jika will enjoy the company. She doesn’t get many visitors, and she doesn’t get to go out much. Plus, this is a good opportunity to show you how to use qi.”

19