Chapter 45: Bad Dreams
296 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Did I miss anything?” 

Freya turned around and saw Infamous Biscuit walking towards their campsite. He was earlier than expected but she was grateful to see him.

“K13 learned Meridian Manipulation,” she said.

“Nice,” Infamous Biscuit said and held up a hand for a high five. K13 flinched at first but then gave him a soft high five. 

Diviner Houkyu also said hello to Infamous Biscuit. Somehow all these sudden appearances and disappearances didn’t draw any kind of a response from the non-player. Freya assumed it had to be the game interfering with his perception. The thought made her uncomfortable, but it was also easier than trying to explain how and where Infamous Biscuit and Heilong had gone. 

Infamous Biscuit looked around the campsite. He noticed the makeshift archery range and asked, “Where is Heilong?” 

“She said she needed to leave for a little bit, but I think she is still here in this world, in-game as you say it. She said to message her if something happens.”

“Did she say anything about learning a new skill yet?”

“Not yet, but actually I think I might have an idea for a new skill-”

Shriek!

A red bird flew overhead. The scene echoed in her head.

Freya looked up at the dungeon entrance.

A shadow emerged.

“Something’s coming!”

Everyone looked to the cave.

An orc emerged. Clad in silver armor, the large green creature looked down at them.

[High Orc Spearman Scout]

[Lvl 14] [500/500]

Then behind it, two more identical text boxes appeared.

“I’m messaging Heilong. Houkyu, get back. K13, keep changing into your armor. Heilongs traps should buy us some time,” Infamous Biscuit instructed, taking his staff out of his inventory.

Freya stared at the scene unfolding. This is what I saw. It’s all coming true. But if things continue like this...

Icy fear clenched her heart. She looked at the spot she remembered Heilong appeared in her dream. Running towards the spot, she faintly heard Infamous Biscuit shouting at her.

Just as Heilong appeared, Freya tackled her to the ground.

A spear flew over their heads.

Uuurk! An orc howled in frustration.

Heilong’s traps set around the entrance had stopped the orcs from advancing, but they didn’t stop them from throwing spears. Dragging Heilong away from the entrance, Freya got them out of range of their spear throws. Only two out of the three orcs tried to hit them. The remaining orc held onto its spear.

“Nice save,” Infamous Biscuit said with a slight tremor to his voice. “I forgot fast-travel to dungeons would put you close to the entrance.”

Freya shook her head. That wasn’t how she knew, but there was no time to explain.

“Heilong, have you had any luck in getting skills?” Freya asked quickly.

“Well, I think I have the right arrows now, but…”

“Just try them now.”

“But-”

“Just trust me.”

Heilong hesitated but then got up and took out a different quiver set. Freya noticed tiny runic writing along the shaft of the arrow and on the spearhead. Stringing one of the arrows, Heilong aimed at the front high orc spearmen.

Freya turned to K13, “Try to send your qi into your axes while you swing them. I know this isn’t the best time to be experimenting, but just try it when you start fighting.”

Heilong’s first arrow barely made a dent into the orcs HP. Furrowing her brow, she tried again.

Then, one of the orcs broke out of the traps.

K13 buckled the last strap of his armor and put on his helmet. The free orc picked up one of the thrown spears and charged them.

As soon as the orc was engaged with K13, Freya used her Shockwave skill. 

The large orc stumbled. 

Heart racing, she took advantage of its stunned state to try out her new skill idea. She reached for the orcs’ inner elbow, where it had no armor. The fabric made it difficult, but she quickly found the orc’s meridian lines.

Then Freya pulled.

Forcing the orc’s energy out of its own body was surprisingly easy. There was little resistance.

She was forced to let go when the orc slumped to the ground.

[New Skill Realized!]

 [Implosion]

 [ →  Lvl 1 ]

K13 hacked at the orc with his axes. The high orc’s HP was now dropping fast.

[High Orc Spearman Scout]

[Lvl 14] [72/500]

“Finally!” Heilong exclaimed a few meters away from them.

One of the trapped orc’s HP was significantly lower than the others. Freya’s heart rose. Heilong must have succeeded in creating a Meridian Manipulation based skill. Maybe things wouldn’t turn out like her dream.

Then the orcs in the traps broke free. And behind them, four more orcs came out from the dungeon.

22